IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion Sept 2019 onwards

Blessed Weather

Posted
  • Location: Chelsfield, Orpington (Kent / SE London) - 115m ASL
  • Location: Chelsfield, Orpington (Kent / SE London) - 115m ASL
2 hours ago, TomSE12 said:

Hi Angela,

myself and my Wife, have said in the last few Days, we must think about investing in a more efficient Air Conditioning Unit, for future Summers.

I've been struck in the past few Days, that a few BBC Forecasters have said we need to get used to these Summer Temperatures, as due to Climate change, this is what we have in store for us!! 

Speaking of violent August T/Storms, they don't come more violent, than what occurred on Thurs. 6th August 1981.

I was working in an Office in Lordship Lane, East Dulwich, at the time.

Myself and my first Wife, were "house sitting" for some friends of ours, and looking after their German Shepherd.

Three very active T/Storm Cells, struck the area between 9 AM and around Noon, that Day.

Our friends lived in North Dulwich, and the Husband was Groundsman at Alleyn's School. It was around about a brisk 15 minute walk to my Office. I vividly remember it being very humid, and being "chased" to Work by peals of thunder, and a very angry, coppery looking sky. Just managed to get into my Office, before all "hell broke loose".

Frequent lightning, gunshot Thunder and Monsoonal type Rain.

This first Cell moved away and there was a brief lull, before another intense Cell passed over the area, and a repeat performance ensued. But these two Storms were just the Hors D'oeuvres, before the main event.

There was another lull in proceedings, when a little before Noon, the light faded abruptly.

The Sky became as black as Midnight. There then followed an eerie silence, except for the twittering of Birds.

Thunder then started to be heard, and grew louder and louder, before the "Mother" of all T/Storms, erupted over our Heads. This final and most active Cell, of the three, eventually moved away.

My Wife phoned me and told me that the entire Cricket Square, on the Sports Ground, was under water.

A while later, I got back to the Sports Ground and found evidence for myself of the effects, of that violent event. 

Below, are some images of the event, reproduced with the kind permission of Ian Currie, and taken from his Surrey County Weather Book:

image.thumb.png.ba917cefe856d84b0dec0354f37b94fc.png

Above is the scene at Midday, on the A217 at Lower Kingswood.

image.thumb.png.aa03a3d659c61a5784b38c403052dbfd.png

Above, near the Swan and Sugar Loaf Pub, in South Croydon, in the aftermath of the events of 6th August 1981. 

Below, the archived 500mb Chart, at the time of the event.

image.thumb.png.4f43f9a52a74a49f25376ca1403feffb.png

Dare I say it, not a lot different to how the Synoptic situation is Forecast to look like, over the next couple of Days:

image.thumb.png.d14b7ae3cc8c217b5da254ef27277dcd.png

That's the end of, a very Thundery look down Memory Lane.

Regards,

Tom.  :hi:

I remember this!! I was 4 - and sometimes, I think I dreamt about this day so I'm really glad you posted this Tom. I went to work with my grandad that day (we lived in Croydon at the time) and I remember vividly the sky going as dark as night - I was quite frightened, more by the darkness in the middle of the day than anything else. I only vaguely remember the actual storm. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

Currently relocating our kennel block, much pressure washing required. Recommend it (the pressure washing that is), very refreshing!

Mostly overcast here since about 11am with a few sunny breaks occasionally. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Topping out at 32c today, mostly clear skies and a gentle ESE breeze, so definitely up on yesterday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, lightning and erm thunder

Keeping an eye on the cell in France, but I’m guessing it’ll probably either die out in the channel or just not get here at all lol

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: frosty mornings,freezing fog(makes the trees look nice!),snow,summer storms

Nice cells devolping west of paris, lets hope they migrate over here. Nearer to home, temps here have levelled off at 33.7c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow , Extreme weather events
34 minutes ago, Electricmumma said:

Keeping an eye on the cell in France, but I’m guessing it’ll probably either die out in the channel or just not get here at all lol

The visible sat shows that particular storm does appear to be exploding in size but looking at the trajectory get the sense that the storm is more likely to be pushed towards Holland by the UK storm shield (otherwise known as the English channel).   However there are signs of other rapidly growing cells to the west of that (see attached) which with any luck might potentially head towards the South-East this evening   

Storm cells in France.PNG

Edited by Snow Shoes
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
4 hours ago, TomSE12 said:

Hi Angela,

myself and my Wife, have said in the last few Days, we must think about investing in a more efficient Air Conditioning Unit, for future Summers.

I've been struck in the past few Days, that a few BBC Forecasters have said we need to get used to these Summer Temperatures, as due to Climate change, this is what we have in store for us!! 

Speaking of violent August T/Storms, they don't come more violent, than what occurred on Thurs. 6th August 1981.

I was working in an Office in Lordship Lane, East Dulwich, at the time.

Myself and my first Wife, were "house sitting" for some friends of ours, and looking after their German Shepherd.

Three very active T/Storm Cells, struck the area between 9 AM and around Noon, that Day.

I was only 8 years old but I will never forget that day! The way the clouds looked in the morning was so weird. The earlier cells missed Staines that day but we heard the thunder from them. The mega 3rd cell hit us though. It went so dark and still, I remember people coming out to look at the sky. Then all hell indeed broke loose, with crazy forked lightning. extremely loud thunder and torrential rain. My Mum was very frightened and tried to keep us away from the windows! That storm started my love of thunderstorms and weather, in general. We certainly used to get some humdingers in the 1980’s. Hopefully, some to come this week

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

if you like sitting in a pool of sweat you have had a great day, if you like storms then it was been poo.

Very disappointing so far.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: frosty mornings,freezing fog(makes the trees look nice!),snow,summer storms
55 minutes ago, Electricmumma said:

Sorry Electricmumma, i failed to read your post before i posted, yes that cell/storms are well worth keeping an eye on, lets hope they cross the channel.

• Like 1

Posted

Massive difference in temps round here. MAidstone at 34/35oC and back home it’s 28oC. Not that far away 

Posted

Frustratingly, the Writtle station has been offline since yesterday morning.

Strangely though, the @EssexWeather Twitter account posted a maximum figure for it and it's not clear how that was obtained. Someone else asked them but got no reply.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, lightning and erm thunder

Sky out towards France from sussex - a hot 32 here

7456430A-D5E1-445A-A3AF-B387A3101A56.jpeg

Edited by Electricmumma
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Temp on its way down form a high 34.2 now. Can see cloud to my se now, can't tell what type, except it is above the milky clouds we've had all day. 

• Like 3

Posted
16 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Temp on its way down form a high 34.2 now. Can see cloud to my se now, can't tell what type, except it is above the milky clouds we've had all day. 

I hope it's the big thundery type.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe storms and heavy snow

Just got the odd towering cumulus bubbling up now and again here. Frustrating because you can see them growing in real time but they just flatten to nothing 

• Like 2

Posted

Topped out here at 34.1c, my device is showing only 31% humidity, is anyone else showing low humidity or is my device lying, it feels really humid to me.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, Extreme Weather
6 minutes ago, thunderpants said:

Topped out here at 34.1c, my device is showing only 31% humidity, is anyone else showing low humidity or is my device lying, it feels really humid to me.

Isn't it the dew point that is high which is why people feel sweaty.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, John90 said:

Just got the odd towering cumulus bubbling up now and again here. Frustrating because you can see them growing in real time but they just flatten to nothing 

Hi peeps

Hope everyone is well

This hot weather makes you wonder whether it can get anymore oppressive. But those who like the heat must be loving it. Not good here in Walthamstow far too humid.I have got my eyes open now for the thunderstorms and I hope when we do get them they hit us during the night. Some up north were lucky last night there were some huge storms.

Anyway I have kept an eye on the radar and just now some really huge storms are showing up in Northern France. The lightening radar is picking these up well. In fact instead of fizzling out it seems the cluster is getting wider. Folks if these storms stay the same intensity and move up we could be in for a very noisy night tonight. Having said that we have seen this many times before where these storms seem to give some hope but then very quickly fizzle out before getting accriss our shore. 

Lets keep an eye on that radar looks promising fingers crossed.

have a lovely evening 

stay cool

regards

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Snow Shoes said:

The visible sat shows that particular storm does appear to be exploding in size but looking at the trajectory get the sense that the storm is more likely to be pushed towards Holland by the UK storm shield (otherwise known as the English channel).   However there are signs of other rapidly growing cells to the west of that (see attached) which with any luck might potentially head towards the South-East this evening   

Storm cells in France.PNG

It's hugh but doesn't seem to be making much attempt to cross the channel.

Edited by snowblind
  • Like 1

Posted

I have the latest Oregon weather station at the moment, temps seem about right and i have it set up correctly so hopefully not to far out , thanks for reply's.