Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion Sept 2019 onwards

Blessed Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

33c showing at 12.00 for Heathrow.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !
2 minutes ago, snowray said:

33c showing at 12.00 for Heathrow.

amazing especially as solar noon is 1pm BST top five hottest day is within reach ..?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Fog, Frost, Storms and Rain if it rains like it means it.

Imby (NE Hants) is always a few degrees above our local Pondtail weather station - my station is currently reading 35°C. Humidity low at 33%, clear blue sky and it feels like an oven outside. Today has potential to be a record breaking scorcher. ☀️

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Rain this morning but very clammy - partly cloudy 25.1c

Edited by Froze were the Days

Posted

Well looks like we might be on to beat yesterday’s high. Currently at 32.3c and not a cloud in the sky . 

Posted

Genuine shot at the record today as long as the cap holds and stops convection. We are just behind the pace of 2019 but a big difference is there is much less in the way of cloud streaming over which is what probably prevented Heathrow getting s 39 that hot spell.

Very high chance of a 37+ today and I to the top 5 of all time. 

Top 10 hottest days may have 4 days from the last 13 months, and legitimate chance of 5 based on tomorrow if convection isn't too extreme.

• Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, TomSE12 said:

Hi Angela,

myself and my Wife, have said in the last few Days, we must think about investing in a more efficient Air Conditioning Unit, for future Summers.

I've been struck in the past few Days, that a few BBC Forecasters have said we need to get used to these Summer Temperatures, as due to Climate change, this is what we have in store for us!! 

Speaking of violent August T/Storms, they don't come more violent, than what occurred on Thurs. 6th August 1981.

I was working in an Office in Lordship Lane, East Dulwich, at the time.

Myself and my first Wife, were "house sitting" for some friends of ours, and looking after their German Shepherd.

Three very active T/Storm Cells, struck the area between 9 AM and around Noon, that Day.

Our friends lived in North Dulwich, and was Groundsman at Alleyn's School. It was around about a brisk 15 minute walk to my Office. I vividly remember it being very humid, and being "chased" to Work by peals of thunder, and a very angry, coppery looking sky. Just managed to get into my Office, before all "hell broke loose".

Frequent lightning, gunshot Thunder and Monsoonal type Rain.

This first Cell moved away and there was a brief lull, before another intense Cell passed over the area, and a repeat performance ensued. But these two Storms were just the Hors D'oeuvres, before the main event.

There was another lull in proceedings, when a little before Noon, the light faded abruptly.

The Sky became as black as Midnight. There then followed an eerie silence, except for the twittering of Birds.

Thunder then started to be heard, and grew louder and louder, before the "Mother" of all T/Storms, erupted over our Heads. This final and most active Cell, of the three, eventually moved away.

My Wife phoned me and told me that the entire Cricket Square, on the Sports Ground, was under water.

A while later, I got back to the Sports Ground and found evidence for myself of the effects, of that violent event. 

Below, are some images of the event, reproduced with the kind permission of Ian Currie, and taken from his Surrey County Weather Book:

image.thumb.png.ba917cefe856d84b0dec0354f37b94fc.png

Above is the scene at Midday, on the A217 at Lower Kingswood.

image.thumb.png.aa03a3d659c61a5784b38c403052dbfd.png

Above, near the Swan and Sugar Loaf Pub, in South Croydon, in the aftermath of the events of 6th August 1981. 

Below, the archived 500mb Chart, at the time of the event.

image.thumb.png.4f43f9a52a74a49f25376ca1403feffb.png

Dare I say it, not a lot different to how the Synoptic situation is Forecast to look like, over the next couple of Days:

image.thumb.png.d14b7ae3cc8c217b5da254ef27277dcd.png

That's the end of, a very Thundery look down Memory Lane.

Regards,

Tom.  :hi:

I remember it very well. I was working in London at the time in Artillery Row, off Victoria Street. It was the extraordinary darkness at midday that was so memorable. As it was lunchtime, there were many people out on the street just standing looking at the sky, before the storm broke. The resulting rain lifted a drain cover in the floor of the Library I was working in and partially flooded the place!

• Like 3

Posted
25 minutes ago, TomSE12 said:

Hi Angela,

myself and my Wife, have said in the last few Days, we must think about investing in a more efficient Air Conditioning Unit, for future Summers.

I've been struck in the past few Days, that a few BBC Forecasters have said we need to get used to these Summer Temperatures, as due to Climate change, this is what we have in store for us!! 

Speaking of violent August T/Storms, they don't come more violent, than what occurred on Thurs. 6th August 1981.

I was working in an Office in Lordship Lane, East Dulwich, at the time.

Myself and my first Wife, were "house sitting" for some friends of ours, and looking after their German Shepherd.

Three very active T/Storm Cells, struck the area between 9 AM and around Noon, that Day.

Our friends lived in North Dulwich, and the Husband was Groundsman at Alleyn's School. It was around about a brisk 15 minute walk to my Office. I vividly remember it being very humid, and being "chased" to Work by peals of thunder, and a very angry, coppery looking sky. Just managed to get into my Office, before all "hell broke loose".

Frequent lightning, gunshot Thunder and Monsoonal type Rain.

This first Cell moved away and there was a brief lull, before another intense Cell passed over the area, and a repeat performance ensued. But these two Storms were just the Hors D'oeuvres, before the main event.

There was another lull in proceedings, when a little before Noon, the light faded abruptly.

The Sky became as black as Midnight. There then followed an eerie silence, except for the twittering of Birds.

Thunder then started to be heard, and grew louder and louder, before the "Mother" of all T/Storms, erupted over our Heads. This final and most active Cell, of the three, eventually moved away.

My Wife phoned me and told me that the entire Cricket Square, on the Sports Ground, was under water.

A while later, I got back to the Sports Ground and found evidence for myself of the effects, of that violent event. 

Below, are some images of the event, reproduced with the kind permission of Ian Currie, and taken from his Surrey County Weather Book:

image.thumb.png.ba917cefe856d84b0dec0354f37b94fc.png

Above is the scene at Midday, on the A217 at Lower Kingswood.

image.thumb.png.aa03a3d659c61a5784b38c403052dbfd.png

Above, near the Swan and Sugar Loaf Pub, in South Croydon, in the aftermath of the events of 6th August 1981. 

Below, the archived 500mb Chart, at the time of the event.

image.thumb.png.4f43f9a52a74a49f25376ca1403feffb.png

Dare I say it, not a lot different to how the Synoptic situation is Forecast to look like, over the next couple of Days:

image.thumb.png.d14b7ae3cc8c217b5da254ef27277dcd.png

That's the end of, a very Thundery look down Memory Lane.

Regards,

Tom.  :hi:

Tom wow, I can remember that storm, I was a child, but that particular storm made tsuch an impression on me. I can remember the pressure building and changing - my ears were ringing as the storm was building.

My mum was looking out of the kitchen window, getting more and more.nervous - she was never normally bothered about storms, but as you say, it literally want from day to night. She grabs us kids and ran to a neighbours house and we literally just made.it. The sound of the thunder was like a bomb going off house was shaking, the lightning constant. The rain was like a monsoon - when it fell. Never seen anything like that in the UK until July 2015/2016. Even then, that was at night. Yes, those charts so look similar.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: frosty mornings,freezing fog(makes the trees look nice!),snow,summer storms

Creeping up here with temps currently at a most unpleasant 32.5c, i would imagine that 34 plus is on the cards at this rate and hotter still at the usual hot spots.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow , Extreme weather events
46 minutes ago, Mark Bayley said:

34.7c now, not a cloud in sight. Record here is 38.0c last year. Small chance we'll break it..?

The temperature seems to be leveling off a little so perhaps a max of 35 or 36c now appears to be the most likely outcome when, earlier, it appeared as if 38 - 39c was definitely on the cards 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
1 hour ago, Badgers01 said:

amazing especially as solar noon is 1pm BST top five hottest day is within reach ..?

Temps rose very sharply this morning,  but leveling off now, Heathrow stuck on 34c. 

1 minute ago, Snow Shoes said:

The temperature seems to be leveling off a little so perhaps a max of 35 or 36c now appears to be the most likely outcome when, earlier, it appeared as if 38 - 39c was definitely on the cards 

Agreed.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Through the 30c barrier here, some high cloud drifting towards here but it looks thin and well broken. It feels pretty oppressive to be honest, I would take the dry heat we have previously seen unless this triggers some thunderstorms later.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Thunderstorms, Wind

First small cumulus clouds appearing in the sky here in South East London.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, lightning and erm thunder

East Sussex coast looking north- bigger than I can capture 

BCEF704B-8742-4DA9-B894-3299DFCE3691.jpeg

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

28.1c there today, slightly down on other values. Highest so far was ~32.0c on the 9th.

Posted

Compulsory cloud shot as the day progresses.  Unbearably hot inside and out, fingers keep sticking to keyboard when I'm trying to work. Hoping the fluffy stuff aloft yields some stonking storms. ?️⚡

IMG_20200811_150315.jpg

Edited by Reefseeker
  • Like 2

Posted

Some clouds seem to be bubbling up in the distance in Bexleyheath.  Please mother nature, let us have storms this evening ⛈?⛈?