Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion Sept 2019 onwards

Blessed Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

Mostly sunny here all day and reached 22c but didn’t feel like it in that very gusty wind from the south west, managed to be blown along the seafront all the way to Brighton without peddling!

Edited by Freeze
  • Like 1

Posted

I know I shouldn’t get excited, because it’s so unlikely to happen, but EA is in the zone, 30% risk of thunderstorms this afternoon. I know it’s only 30% and the ToD will put up the shield, but

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

A beautiful start to today, but as @Blazerblue says, a chance of a rumble as heavy showers develop later on, although only a "slight" chance according to Convective Weather:

Lovely start for the Region: 121177436_Satellite02July07_35.thumb.jpg.6e175eb6d0bd9665897471b826e57d55.jpg  A rumble later? 815908781_ConvectiveFcast02July.thumb.jpg.f4f76164b66694d71a0d9a39b7a411d0.jpg

Source: http://www.convectiveweather.co.uk/

Yesterday evening turned out quite wet here, with 7mm of rain. Timing was perfect for refreshing the garden - some late evening rain which overnight doesn't immediately evaporate in strong sunshine.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: frosty mornings,freezing fog(makes the trees look nice!),snow,summer storms

The showers to our west are now starting to get going, could be some potent ones amongst them looking at the radar.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.
On 27/06/2020 at 00:24, alexisj9 said:

Kent clipper jumped us and became a Norfolk clipper lol. 

Or perhaps a Norfolk Nibbler ? 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, clouds, aurora

Couple of rumbles here after what I think was some whale's mouth structure passed directly over. Heavy rain now. Not seen any lightning as mostly staring at computer hoping power does not go off - am in the middle of a huge file back up job.

EDIT: strikes in local area, distant but huge crack of thunder that made the house/windows creak here. Storm is picking up somewhat over Manningtree area by the looks of lightningmaps.org

• Like 1

Posted

Currently 17.5c but we've had rain showers since about 10am, rather than 'from mid-afternoon', just had another downpour and looks like another is on the way in the next 45mins or so. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot sunny summers to ripen the veg and cold snowy winters of course
31 minutes ago, magicpatch said:

Currently 17.5c but we've had rain showers since about 10am, rather than 'from mid-afternoon', just had another downpour and looks like another is on the way in the next 45mins or so. 

Yep, the rain showers are more like just "rain" here, every time I think it has stopped and intend to go outside, it's rains again...

Posted

Them's some stormy looking skies! 

IMG_20200702_144700.jpg

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Had a cg in my garden, no damage, but it messed up the virgin single for fifteen minutes or so. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot sunny summers to ripen the veg and cold snowy winters of course

No sooner had I typed that and we finally have a lull in the rain - I'm off to fit my roof rack and grab some vitamin D...

Well, that sunny spell didn't last long

Edited by dubmuffin
rain

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather

Here is the video of a heavy shower of rain as seen from my back garden.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

‘‘Twas completely dry here all day again thanks to the South Downs rain shield and a mostly sunny afternoon reached 20.3c the only problem is that unrelenting SW wind which doesn’t seem to want to stop!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

The weather has gone a bit downhill since lock down was eased and so has the local area in general. We have had a double murder here, street brawls and a couple of stabbings. Lockdown wasn't pleasant but the air quality improved greatly, and it was peaceful too, despite hot sunshine. The wild life had a good break from us too.

• Like 1

Posted

The heavy showers yesterday gave 11mm of rain here. The garden is visibly perking up! A nice start this morning with hazy sunshine. I think the current satellite image sums up the outlook for most of the day - hazy sunshine and feeling reasonably warm. Looks like the incoming band of patchy rain holds off until this evening.

06.35 satellite: 238618782_Satellite03July06_35.thumb.jpg.5fcc4c70c6299265159d375bf324ca29.jpg

Warm temps: 370698876_AromeTemp03July17_00.thumb.png.2dc019414d9fe56f56a38367d5f62183.png Patchy rain arriving later: 1465217647_AromePrecip03July21_00.thumb.png.5f307193964bf2c3a8161fd7c72db5a1.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: frosty mornings,freezing fog(makes the trees look nice!),snow,summer storms

Hazy start here with a low of 10.4c but feeling quite humid already.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy or sunny but not too hot!

Tomorrow will be our Golden Wedding Anniversary- American Independence Day- the day I lost mine,

With things as they are and with my wife having a heart condition celebrations on the day are on hold as we do not fancy the risk with mixing with too many people when the big unlock-down commences tomorrow.

Instead we are meeting our eldest son, middle son, his wife and 3 year old Arthur in a field a 10 minute walk from our house on Sunday. It would have been on the "big day" but our middle son is a self employed electrician working in London and needs the money for 2 reasons- he was unable to work for over 3 months with the lockdown and secondly his wife is Filipino and going through the long protracted process of obtaining British Citizenship. This requires proof that his annual income exceeds a certain figure to ensure he is able to support her. The irony is the threshold is considerably above the minimum wage.

We had suggested that they came to our house and sat in the garden, but our son is concerned that in spite of the precautions he has taken travelling to an from work and in his workplace he may have picked up the virus without showing any symptoms and he could unintentionally pass it on to my wife, He is happy with the field as we can social distance far easier there.

My concern is what the weather will be like here on Sunday afternoon. The BBC forecast this morning was not very helpful and didn't give any detail re the progress of the front coming in from the west.

Will we be OK or should we expect a very soggy celebratory cake?

Kind Regards

Dave

Edited by claret047
  • Like 2

Posted
22 minutes ago, claret047 said:

(SNIPPED)

My concern is what the weather will be like here on Sunday afternoon. The BBC forecast this morning was not very helpful and didn't give any detail re the progress of the front coming in from the west.

Will we be OK or should we expect a very soggy celebratory cake?

Kind Regards

Dave

Hearty congratulations to you and your wife Dave. :oldsmile:

The Met Office Fax charts show a couple of cold fronts coming through around noon on Sunday. But looking at precip forecasts from 3 models the rainfall will be very patchy and light. Timing is the issue, with Arpege showing very little rain and coming through early Sunday, whilst GFS says more widespread and hitting Essex at 11.00 and NMM going for 12.00. But the good news is that all three have the rain cleared through Essex by 15.00 Sunday afternoon. I hope the sun comes out for you.

Arpege 09: 1440945186_DaveSunArpegeprecip09_00.thumb.png.635c2dfc250073220d3c473d04fb13e7.png GFS 11: 1904911050_DaveSunGFSprecip11_00.thumb.png.dd8b3291843726c7a40a912f53daca32.png

NMM 12: 555635001_DaveSunNMMprecip12_00.thumb.png.3be7bf6adbb673c2304e40ddec05b9e7.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy or sunny but not too hot!
2 hours ago, Blessed Weather said:

Hearty congratulations to you and your wife Dave. :oldsmile:

The Met Office Fax charts show a couple of cold fronts coming through around noon on Sunday. But looking at precip forecasts from 3 models the rainfall will be very patchy and light. Timing is the issue, with Arpege showing very little rain and coming through early Sunday, whilst GFS says more widespread and hitting Essex at 11.00 and NMM going for 12.00. But the good news is that all three have the rain cleared through Essex by 15.00 Sunday afternoon. I hope the sun comes out for you.

Arpege 09: 

Many thanks for your good wishes and information re Sunday. I will toast to you as we bask in the sun.

Kind Regards

Dave

• Like 3

Posted

Looks like our region is in for a wet late afternoon/evening,currently cloudy here with a light wind and a temp of 18.1c.