Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion Sept 2019 onwards

Blessed Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

What a lovely sight!

99474562_Satellite25Jun07_10.thumb.jpg.6acdfb4e40936c0cbdba9b6bded8561d.jpg

I'm enjoying sitting outside this morning, enjoying a couple of mugs of tea. Temp is already up to 21.5C at 07.45. 

Tomorrow's thundery showers? As you might expect from showers, the high res models are all over the place with their forecasts of how much and where. A look at the Euro4 model cumulative rainfall forecast for the next 24 hours ending midnight Friday suggests that the best of the storms really kick off as they move north of us, so less chance for folk further south catching a monster. But we'll see what the models say tomorrow morning and then of course by the afternoon many of us will be glued to the radar! :oldsmile:

1045134557_Euro4CumPrecipSat27Jun00_00.thumb.png.95c83c6ec1b9ddcff17f3b552ace155f.png

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
1 minute ago, Coopsy said:

I do say this every year so may sound like a broken record lol.

I’m still not sure why the vast majority of people don’t get air con. I use mine easily 3/4 months of the year and they heat too so we use that another 3/4 months.

At £2500 for 3 bedrooms it was a great investment. They even offered finance at around £48 a month I think so affordable for most.

Even a portable one at £300 is  a great starter solution. 

Trust me - you’d be looking forward to those hot summer days with a smidge of smugness knowing you can sleep at night  lol. 

That's between 300 and 2500 reasons for not buying air-con, Coopsy!:oldlaugh:

• Like 4

It's going to be a scorcher! 24.5 c at 8.30 am. 

Looks to be a chance of thunderstorms tomorrow, hopefully they move through early and quickly so we can have one last hot day before it cools down slightly.

Edited by Uxbridge90

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: frosty mornings,freezing fog(makes the trees look nice!),snow,summer storms

Get an old spray bottle and fill it with ice cold water and give yourself a light spray now and then, works even better with a fan on, a lot cheaper. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted

No need for aircon. I was looking into it and in the end decided to tryan air cooler a few days ago.

£90 on Amazon reduced from £150.

I put 8 pints of water in the fridge yesterday morning and the ice packs in the freezer, put it all in the air cooler 10 minutes before bed time. Result: best night’s sleep in ages and definitely completely different from the sweating, tossing and turning during last year’s heatwaves.

Bedroom a lovely 18 degrees this morning while the rest of the house is 24.

One thing is important - you have to leave a window open, even if just a little bit. Otherwise everything feels damp.

It comes on wheels so easy to move and it’s with me in the office right now

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
41 minutes ago, Blessed Weather said:

What a lovely sight!

99474562_Satellite25Jun07_10.thumb.jpg.6acdfb4e40936c0cbdba9b6bded8561d.jpg

I'm enjoying sitting outside this morning, enjoying a couple of mugs of tea. Temp is already up to 21.5C at 07.45. 

Tomorrow's thundery showers? As you might expect from showers, the high res models are all over the place with their forecasts of how much and where. A look at the Euro4 model cumulative rainfall forecast for the next 24 hours ending midnight Friday suggests that the best of the storms really kick off as they move north of us, so less chance for folk further south catching a monster. But we'll see what the models say tomorrow morning and then of course by the afternoon many of us will be glued to the radar! :oldsmile:

1045134557_Euro4CumPrecipSat27Jun00_00.thumb.png.95c83c6ec1b9ddcff17f3b552ace155f.png

There's a surprise!...an increasing theme of recent years in breakdowns from hot conditions, and that is most of the thundery activity to be to the north or even Scotland - we'll see but I bet I'll just get the usual cloud and some rain in my location

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

27c at 9am here is insane!

Posted
1 hour ago, Coopsy said:

I do say this every year so may sound like a broken record lol.

I’m still not sure why the vast majority of people don’t get air con. I use mine easily 3/4 months of the year and they heat too so we use that another 3/4 months.

At £2500 for 3 bedrooms it was a great investment. They even offered finance at around £48 a month I think so affordable for most.

Even a portable one at £300 is  a great starter solution. 

Trust me - you’d be looking forward to those hot summer days with a smidge of smugness knowing you can sleep at night  lol. 

I think the same every year. I picked up one 2nd hand for £60 and got another one, new, for £220.

They work well, particularly in smaller rooms, and I got a south-facing room down from 30C to 18C by last night. They don't get huge amounts of use in British summers so should last many years.

Even if you spent £300 on one and it lasted ten years (my 2nd hand one's 21 years old!), that's £30 per summer + cost of running at about 50p for 6-8 hours. If you can't afford it then it's well worth saving up until you can in my view.

52 minutes ago, seb said:

No need for aircon. I was looking into it and in the end decided to tryan air cooler a few days ago.

One thing is important - you have to leave a window open, even if just a little bit. Otherwise everything feels damp.

The resulting rise in humidity is the problem with air coolers, as they work less well once it gets more humid as they're used, plus the UK is a fairly humid place to start with. For price vs. effectiveness, I think portable air-con is better value.

Posted
9 minutes ago, h2005__uk__ said:

I think the same every year. I picked up one 2nd hand for £60 and got another one, new, for £220.

They work well, particularly in smaller rooms, and I got a south-facing room down from 30C to 18C by last night. They don't get huge amounts of use in British summers so should last many years.

Even if you spent £300 on one and it lasted ten years (my 2nd hand one's 21 years old!), that's £30 per summer + cost of running at about 50p for 6-8 hours. If you can't afford it then it's well worth saving up until you can in my view.

The resulting rise in humidity is the problem with air coolers, as they work less well once it gets more humid as they're used, plus the UK is a fairly humid place to start with. For price vs. effectiveness, I think portable air-con is better value.

High humidity at cool-ish temps much healthier to sleep, especially if you suffer from allergies though.

And the running costs are hugely different!

But yes, aircon where possible and affordable all the way. There’s nothing better.

Posted

As expected it looks like today will defintely be the warmest day of the year here ! Last night it took until just past midnight to drop below 20C, and then only down to low of 15.2c at 05:30. Currently 28.5C at 10 am.

Posted
2 hours ago, General Cluster said:

That's between 300 and 2500 reasons for not buying air-con, Coopsy!:oldlaugh:

ha ha I cant argue with that 

31 minutes ago, h2005__uk__ said:

The portable ones are great - I started out with that about 5 years ago. Little ones bedroom would get to 30oC but with that got it down to 20oC. It's a bit of a pain setting up and noisy etc so opted for permanent solution but still use it downstairs and its still going strong.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: frosty mornings,freezing fog(makes the trees look nice!),snow,summer storms

Well, things are hotting up nicely here with a current temp of 28.7, at this rate i think we might see 30.0c here by 13:30 or earlier.!! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive

30c already breached at Bournemouth I see 

Posted

Surely yesterday's high will be beaten in several places today.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual

Cooler on the coast, only 27°c.

looking forward to the storm shield working overtime for us southern coastal areas overnight and through tomorrow ;)

• Like 3

Posted

We have almost reached yesterdays high of 30.8C which was at 15:32 .   Today it was 30.7C @ 13:0 hrs.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

29c here, should hit 30c again today. It seems a lot less hazy today.

• Like 1

Posted

Essex, Norfolk and Suffolk are again struggling to reach 30C and I doubt they will, looking at the 1pm/2pm temps.

Cavendish (Suffolk) and Writtle (Essex) are often among the hottest places.

Why have they missed out on the peak of the heat this week? Is it because the winds have been E/SE rather than S/SW?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

Northolt is the current hot spot at 32°C, but many places across the south 30-31°C.

Humidity is manageable at around 35% for most. 

• Northolt 32°c
  • Heathrow 31.6°c
  • Charlwood 31.1°c
  • London / Gatwick Airport 31°c
  • Farnborough 31°c
  • Herstmonceux West End 31°c
  • London City Airport 30°c
  • Like 1

Posted

Finally reached 30.0C here it was a snail crawl but got there in end, this E wind is not conducive for very high temps. If we had a southerly we would be seeing mid 30s easy..... 

• Like 1

Posted
34 minutes ago, Stabilo19 said:

Northolt is the current hot spot at 32°C, but many places across the south 30-31°C.

Humidity is manageable at around 35% for most. 

• Northolt 32°c
  • Heathrow 31.6°c
  • Charlwood 31.1°c
  • London / Gatwick Airport 31°c
  • Farnborough 31°c
  • Herstmonceux West End 31°c
  • London City Airport 30°c

Dew points are rising from south very humid tonight... 16C here quite muggy. 

Edited by Daniel*

Posted
47 minutes ago, h2005__uk__ said:

Essex, Norfolk and Suffolk are again struggling to reach 30C and I doubt they will, looking at the 1pm/2pm temps.

Cavendish (Suffolk) and Writtle (Essex) are often among the hottest places.

Why have they missed out on the peak of the heat this week? Is it because the winds have been E/SE rather than S/SW?

Yes, you answered your own question. Here in inner London (SE16) I was forecast 32C today, and yesterday in which I reached 29.4C, that forecast did not come to fruition and it won’t today either, so they’ve been understating the relatively cool waters in North Sea and Thames estuary. 

Posted

Rinse, repeat today of yesterday. Local weather station reporting 29.4c at 3pm (It was 29.0c yesterday), we peaked at 29.7c at 4pm yesterday so might squeeze into 30c, but that breeze (like yesterday at this time) is starting to pick up. 

Pressure continues to drop mind, what are the chances of a storm for South London either overnight or tomorrow? We seem to be borderline between just getting some rain, maybe a storm, or maybe just another warm day?

Edited by magicpatch