Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion Sept 2019 onwards

Blessed Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

See today the ol' easterly wind is starting to pick up again...has been a cycle of this happening throughout this spring (mainly April onwards). Quieter period sunny, breezier period sunny, quieter period sunny, breezier period sunny and so on, the only difference was last week it was from the west but the same theme sunny and dry...even with the upcoming pattern change that northerly doesn't scream rain here. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms
8 hours ago, Froze were the Days said:

See today the ol' easterly wind is starting to pick up again...has been a cycle of this happening throughout this spring (mainly April onwards). Quieter period sunny, breezier period sunny, quieter period sunny, breezier period sunny and so on, the only difference was last week it was from the west but the same theme sunny and dry...even with the upcoming pattern change that northerly doesn't scream rain here. 

Bloody onshore breeze drives me mad! I don't mind it when the temps are high 20s but today it was cold out of the sun and impossible to sit outside after about 6pm without a blanket...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: frosty mornings,freezing fog(makes the trees look nice!),snow,summer storms

Another cracking weather day here with deep blue skies again and a current temp of 24.3c with a pleasant cooling breeze. Wonderful, but we really do need need some rain soon, over night preferably.

• Like 1

Posted

So can someone out of interest tell me when the last big rain was my mind is going back to February sometime. Ad we head into june I dont remember a spring quite like this.

Thankfully working from home I gave enjoyed the weather and even when it was colder with the easterly breeze it was still dry. Not complaining. 

I have finally set up my weather station for my daughter following my split. Loving it 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

A little bit of cloud has bubbled up this afternoon, not spoiling the day. A high of 24c, which is very pleasant.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual

24c and it’s not even summer yet! Smashin’

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm spring days and summer thunderstorms

Another very hot day, this reminds me of the summer of 1976. Lived in Peacehaven then, can not remember any rain from end of March till the end of August in 1976. Every day we had blue skies like today. Our Climate has changed so much.  As its been so warm a change from Hot too cold chat, does anyone have any records or knowledge of the great Christmas Day Blizzard of 1970. Again we were living in Peacehaven, right on the east sussex coast and we had a lot of snow, proper powder snow that drifted a lot. Take care everyone, the best of health to you all.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

Warmest day of the year here got to 25.2c with humidity in the 30/40% so very nice, this past week I have not seen such wall to wall deep blue Skies since being in Egypt a few years back no clouds or contrails What so ever, Best thing about living on the coast in summer is no infill clouds unlike further inland can sometimes get.

2BAF0518-47A5-4300-816A-778D189B9438.png

Edited by Freeze
  • Like 3

Posted

Forgot to post but state of grass here, brown, very evocative to June-July 2018. I’ve never known to see it like this in May.

E08524D8-DFE9-4C13-9D72-7601E41E9777.thumb.jpeg.80b04fe3c0d382eaca634c9dfec20455.jpeg

• Like 7

Posted

Already 21.2c here, could be a hot one, hopefully the sea breeze doesn’t kick in too early to ruin it 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Looks like I’m ending up in the infill zone again today. Rapidly clouding up now, but still very warm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Lovely day here, just some cloud bubbling up now. Some pictures taken whilst out for a walk.

46122ADF-CB70-47E2-8CB2-2E025C4A01FC.jpeg

75D3F7DA-73E1-4F57-9DE9-77241DC3DEA5.jpeg

765BB176-E1BD-4F18-9F62-80F4A39A1D0B.jpeg

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
20 hours ago, Daniel* said:

Another beautiful day I don’t think we will see a spring like this again! 

Why not?...more Springs months in my mind appear to he heading in the drier and sunny category and as we know certainly warmer.

Posted

Warmest day of the year 2nd day in a row here with 26.2c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: frosty mornings,freezing fog(makes the trees look nice!),snow,summer storms

Flaming june is here with another lovely sunny start and a morning low of 10.9c. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

Well what a Spring that was, particularly for our Region. The Met Office have already reported that it's been the sunniest since 1924 and I think we can safely say that later on they will confirm it's been the driest for 124 years. Here in East Anglia it's being reported as the driest May ever, that’s going back to when Met Office rainfall records started in the region in 1862.

The National Farmers’ Union have reported: “The situation is becoming increasingly serious for the growth of rain-fed grass and cereal crops across the country, made worse by the wet winter that led to the planting of more spring crops which are now struggling because of falling soil moisture levels.” And Anglia Water have issued a "save water" plea to avoid problems later in the summer.

Rainfall totals in the Anglia region in May 2020

• 0.2 mm in Pitsford, Northamptonshire
  • 0.4 mm in Cavendish, Suffolk
  • 0.4 mm in Marham, Norfolk
  • 0.4 mm in Wittering, Cambridgeshire
  • 0.8 mm in Wattisham, Suffolk
  • 1.6 mm in Cambridge
  • 1.6 mm in Charsfield, Suffolk
  • 2.0 mm in Santon Downham, Suffolk
  • 2.2 mm in Lt Paxton, Cambridgeshire
  • 2.6 mm in Sawtry, Cambridgeshire
  • 2.8 mm in Harpenden, Hertfordshire
  • 2.8 mm in Stowe, Buckinghamshire
  • 3.8 mm in Cromer, Norfolk
  • 5.0 mm in Weybourne, Norfolk
  • 6.0 mm in Woburn, Bedfordshire

And whilst we wait for the final chart for the month, a look at the cumulative rainfall up to 26th May shows many of us have seen less than 5% of the average rainfall expected in May.

185342998_Rainfall1-26May2020.thumb.jpg.28790a1b1bdea1ff125f503518a29014.jpg

Chart courtesy of Weatherquest. Twitter @danholley_

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Posted

There does seem to be a trend with our weather becoming drier here for this time of year, and the rain we get seems to be the wrong type at the wrong time of year i.e flooding followed by drought with farmers particularly hit in east anglia. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Cold/Snowy Winter! Just SEASONAL!!
On 30/05/2020 at 17:07, TROY said:

Another very hot day, this reminds me of the summer of 1976. Lived in Peacehaven then, can not remember any rain from end of March till the end of August in 1976. Every day we had blue skies like today. Our Climate has changed so much.  As its been so warm a change from Hot too cold chat, does anyone have any records or knowledge of the great Christmas Day Blizzard of 1970. Again we were living in Peacehaven, right on the east sussex coast and we had a lot of snow, proper powder snow that drifted a lot. Take care everyone, the best of health to you all.

My poor Mum was pregnant with me from the April and right through the summer of 76! I think the extreme weather whilst I was in utero is what caused my weather obsession, lol!!

• Like 2

We had 12.2 mm in Chelmsford for May. 10.9 mm on the 1st and 1.3 on the 2nd of May. I remember the flooding in February, visiting a client and struggling to get through to their property because of the flooded roads. At the time I thought this must be one of the wettest Februarys on record!

• Like 2

Posted

Warmest day of the year 3rd day running at 27.0c humidity reached a very low 29%. 

Posted

Yes an incredible spring I will not remember it for anything but how sunny it was to extreme, and it coinciding with lockdown. The sunniest spring on record for London just above 1990.

my summer forecast if anyone is interested:

file.png
WWW.THESNOWDREAMERWXBLOG.COM

Would you believe it the time has come? A new season brings its new challenges. In deciphering the longstanding oceanic/atmospheric teleconnections, one can gain an idea of how the summer may...

Edited by Daniel*
  • Like 2

Posted

Another lovely day, again cloud bubbled up a little bit during the afternoon. A high again of 24c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

So annoyed my hayfever is awful at the moment so I can't really be out in the sun enjoying it.