Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion Sept 2019 onwards

Blessed Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

Surprising how warm it feels at just 14°C, just goes to show how strong the May sunshine is. Don't forget sun screen! ☀️

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

The developing cumulus gave a lovely skyscape this morning when I was out for a walk. Unfortunately the cloud continued to build and cover is around 90% now, so not feeling quite so warm this afternoon with the temps bouncing around the 14C mark.

1840979965_HadleighClouds12May.thumb.jpg.7aec0b18c0e3adadb6f6552a4374e237.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: frosty mornings,freezing fog(makes the trees look nice!),snow,summer storms

A big difference from yesterday's strong wind with a good ratio of cloud and sun and a pleasant temp here so far of 14.6.c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
1 hour ago, Blessed Weather said:

The developing cumulus gave a lovely skyscape this morning when I was out for a walk. Unfortunately the cloud continued to build and cover is around 90% now, so not feeling quite so warm this afternoon with the temps bouncing around the 14C mark.

1840979965_HadleighClouds12May.thumb.jpg.7aec0b18c0e3adadb6f6552a4374e237.jpg

Sheet of cloud here, Malcolm, but not producing any rain (which we could do with).

• Like 1

Posted

Yes a cold night but no air frost not that I was expecting one, 2.1C, the coldest I’ve recorded this late. Been quite a pleasant day and I agree how warm it feels in sunshine, little wind today probably explaining that, return of nagging wind tomorrow.

Edited by Daniel*

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, gales, all extreme weather really!

4.7c and falling.... all my seedlings were planted out last week. 

Posted
35 minutes ago, James1979 said:

4.7c and falling.... all my seedlings were planted out last week. 

You should never plant seedlings out till end of May mate. I got caught out badly about three years ago. Late May early June for me now. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, gales, all extreme weather really!
13 minutes ago, Wimbledon88 said:

You should never plant seedlings out till end of May mate. I got caught out badly about three years ago. Late May early June for me now. 

I know, I've been caught out in years gone by as well so I should know better but all the sunshine and warmth over the last many weeks lured me into a false sense of security!! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Nice and sunny today, but cold wind back, luckily not even half as strong as the other day though. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy or sunny but not too hot!
10 hours ago, Wimbledon88 said:

Too true. My allotment is in a frost hollow and as I heard there might be frosts I decided to cover my potato leaves with grass cuttings held down by pieces of wood I found on a nearby disused allotment. Others didn't bother and when I went up to water the next day I noted all their potato plants leaves looked very limp and sorry for themselves. Luckily my plants were unaffected. To make sure yesterday I took some fleece up to my plot & placed this on my potatoes.

Will my friends on neighbouring plots' potato plants survive their frostbite?

Kind Regards

Dave

• Like 1

Posted
6 hours ago, claret047 said:

Too true. My allotment is in a frost hollow and as I heard there might be frosts I decided to cover my potato leaves with grass cuttings held down by pieces of wood I found on a nearby disused allotment. Others didn't bother and when I went up to water the next day I noted all their potato plants leaves looked very limp and sorry for themselves. Luckily my plants were unaffected. To make sure yesterday I took some fleece up to my plot & placed this on my potatoes.

Will my friends on neighbouring plots' potato plants survive their frostbite?

Kind Regards

Dave

I think all us allotment folk start our planting a bit too early. Potatoes will survive some frost but it will delay the harvest by a week or two. Got down to 3c on mine last night, air temperature,so i'm sure soil was lower, and thats in south London. Some warmer weather on way so will help things along. Seriously need some heavy rain though. Its extremely dry and none in the forecast, even the extended one. Could be problems in the high summer. 

• Thanks 1

Posted

Top tip from the couple on the neighbouring plot to mine who have had there allotment  for 30 years - if there is a frost due, simply bury your potato plants in soil by dragging earth up around them, a sort of exaggerated version of earthing up. The plants will burst back though in a day or two. Works every time for us. 

Seedlings are a tricky one but many people wait until June 1st to plant seedlings out, myself included. However, if they are looking a bit pot-bound - around the 20th May, look at the next 7/10 day forecast . If there's no very cold nights due and the seedling are large - plant out. even then you might get caught out so have a cloche handy, even if it's just a folded out plastic bag weighed down by stones.

I'm usually really careful with frosts - but even I lost a dahlia a few nights ago

• Like 4

Posted

Fed up with the chilly weather now. I don't mind the odd cooler day but it's been below avg all week and felt cold under the cloud. It makes it much harder to endure this "lockdown".

Roll on summer. ☀️

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
2 hours ago, Team Squirrel said:

Top tip from the couple on the neighbouring plot to mine who have had there allotment  for 30 years - if there is a frost due, simply bury your potato plants in soil by dragging earth up around them, a sort of exaggerated version of earthing up. The plants will burst back though in a day or two. Works every time for us. 

Seedlings are a tricky one but many people wait until June 1st to plant seedlings out, myself included. However, if they are looking a bit pot-bound - around the 20th May, look at the next 7/10 day forecast . If there's no very cold nights due and the seedling are large - plant out. even then you might get caught out so have a cloche handy, even if it's just a folded out plastic bag weighed down by stones.

I'm usually really careful with frosts - but even I lost a dahlia a few nights ago

Good advice Dahlias are very sensitive, but I’ve put all mine out in tubs and they’re growing quite quickly now. We had a frost here on Tuesday morning (got down to 1°C) and some of my dahlias and zinnias  looked wilted. They’ve all recovered, thankfully. There are 3 days for the 3 Ice Saints here on May 12-15, the lore says that there could be frosts and this year, and not to plant out until the days have passed. Oops  

• Like 1

Posted

Much milder last night with a low of 6c. I am surprised to see how cloudy it is though. Here's hoping to the last of the frost

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold

where's the sun? it's all cloudy this morning here 

Posted

It's a bit chilly under the cloud. ☁️

I think the early spring warmth tricked us a bit. I just want it to be 30°C already. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

To the theme of the three degrees...'when will we see rain again? when will share precious moments?' - a mighty 1.5mm of the stuff so far this month, oh well at least the weeds in the flower beds aren't growing at silly rates.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: frosty mornings,freezing fog(makes the trees look nice!),snow,summer storms

Another splended day with a mixture of cloud and sun with a light breeze, at this moment temps have hit 19.1c and the birds are chirping away. Marvelous. 

• Like 1