IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion Sept 2019 onwards

Blessed Weather

Posted
1 minute ago, Jimmyh said:

Hi Tom

I am going for 11th March my birthday

8 minutes ago, TomSE12 said:

Apologies to snowray, for pinching his original list of first date of Settling Snow predictions, from his Competition.

I have now "wiped the slate clean" and removed all those predictions that now look doomed to failure. The list below will now form the basis of Category 1 (next date of "Settling Snow, in the S.E.Region). Those Members who wish to enter the new Competition, are not obliged to stick with these predictions and have up to 9 PM, on Sat.15th Feb., to change their mind. 

Member                                   Dates (2020)

Bluebell                                     22nd Feb

snowray                                    22nd Feb                       

snow Queen one                      24th Feb

SenlacJack                               26th Feb

TomSE12                                  26th Feb

Donna thw                                27th Feb

pinball wizard                          29th  Feb

lassie23                                    29th  Feb

Snowrye                                   1st  Mar

Froze were the days                9th Mar

claret 047                                  23rd Mar

General Cluster                        29th Nov

Later on Today, I will reveal details of the Scoring System I'll be using. At the moment I'm favouring "crediting" each correct prediction with a "virtual" amount of money.

The Entrant that accrues the most "virtual" money, shall be deemed the Winner. More details, this Evening.

Once all the Entries are in, I'll create a "Book" (Betting Market), and you will be allocated an amount to place on your prediction, in a "Virtual" Wager. 

Regards,

Tom.   :hi:

as above lol

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I would've seen some falling snow, late yesterday afternoon, had the streetlight not gone-out just as was about to look! What're the odds of that happening, just at that moment, I wonder?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
5 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

I would've seen some falling snow, late yesterday afternoon, had the streetlight not gone-out just as was about to look! What're the odds of that happening, just at that moment, I wonder?

That really is bad luck...as if this winter hasn't been bad enough and then that happens, you run over a black cat?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
17 minutes ago, TomSE12 said:

Apologies to snowray, for pinching his original list of first date of Settling Snow predictions, from his Competition.

I have now "wiped the slate clean" and removed all those predictions that now look doomed to failure. The list below will now form the basis of Category 1 (next date of "Settling Snow, in the S.E.Region). Those Members who wish to enter the new Competition, are not obliged to stick with these predictions and have up to 9 PM, on Sat.15th Feb., to change their mind. 

Later on Today, I will reveal details of the Scoring System I'll be using. At the moment I'm favouring "crediting" each correct prediction with a "virtual" amount of money.

The Entrant that accrues the most "virtual" money, shall be deemed the Winner. More details, this Evening.

Once all the Entries are in, I'll create a "Book" (Betting Market), and you will be allocated an amount to place on your prediction, in a "Virtual" Wager. 

Regards,

Hi Tom. Well done on the new competition, keeps a bit of interest going for us. Can I change mine to 28th Feb, I see that no one has gone for that date so might be lucky.

Cheers.

Edited by snowray
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

QUOTE - snowray: 

"Hi Tom. Well done on the new competition, keeps a bit of interest going for us. Can I change mine to 28th Feb, I see that no one has gone for that date so might be lucky."

Hi Ray,

Thanks, no problem, I'll change Category 1 to 28th Feb. 

Regards,

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot and sunny, freezing cold and snowy!!

Hi Tom, 

Please may I enter the new competition with the 13th March? Thank you.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

and just like that my snow risk has gone.

*sigh*

Posted

Hi @TomSE12, can I enter the competition and go for the 16th March please, this is the due date for my first child and I know Sod’s law it will snow and settle!

Edited by lewis028
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

CATEGORY 1: (next date of "Settling Snow, in the S.E.Region) -  28th February 

CAREGORY 2: ( exact date and name of last named Storm to enter Shipping Forecast area) - Francis 24th February, Shannon shipping forecast area  

CATEGORY 3: (exact date/Temp. to nearest degree Celsius, of last AIR Frost of the Season, in S.E.Region) - 12th April -3 C 

CATEGORY 4: (exact date that 21c (70f) is first recorded, in the S.E.Region) -  11th May

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy or sunny but not too hot!
9 hours ago, TomSE12 said:

Inspired by snowray's original version, I've decided on a Format for a new Competition, which will be entitled -

The South East Region Weather Predicting Competition. The Competition will comprise of 4 Categories.

Having looked at the 00z Model Runs and noted that there seems little prospect of anything Wintry, in the near future, I will wipe the slate clean up to and including LAUREN's prediction of 20th February. All other predictions will stand after that date, beginning with - BLUEBELL and CLARET047, who both predicted 23rd February for the first date of "Settling Snow". All Entrants who made predictions for after 20th February, may change their mind, if they so wish.

CATEGORY 1: -

Predict the next Date of "Settling Snow", as in Ray's Competition just a dusting will count but NOT Hail.

See link below, to Forecast Model Runs on the Meteociel Website:

http://www.meteociel.fr/

CATEGORY 2: - Predict the exact and final date, of the last named North Atlantic Storm, and it's name, to enter the Shipping Forecast area. See list below:

image.thumb.png.d4891e95469ff8d8810ecd5d60d95660.png

See map below, to Shipping Forecast areas: 

image.png.d5d7e16d0a4e0a08705732519e39a9bc.png

CATEGORY 3:-

Predict the exact Date and Temperature (to the nearest degree Celcius), of the last AIR Frost of the Season.

CATEGORY 4:-

Predict the FIRST Date that 21c (70f), is recorded in the South East Region.

Please Copy/Paste your predictions, into the Boxes provided below:

CATEGORY 1: (next date of "Settling Snow, in the S.E.Region) -

CAREGORY 2: ( exact date and name of last named Storm to enter Shipping Forecast area) -

CATEGORY 3: (exact date/Temp. to nearest degree Celsius, of last AIR Frost of the Season, in S.E.Region) -

CATEGORY 4: (exact date that 21c (70f) is first recorded, in the S.E.Region) -  

Your predictions MUST be posted on the South East Thread by, 9 PM Saturday 15th February.

Thank you.

I will decide on a Scoring System, in the next couple of Days. 

Regards,

Tom :hi:

Hello Tom,

Just catching up with this thread, My date was 23 March, not 23rd February.

I will enter the competition for the various categories, hopefully later today

Kind Regards

Dave

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

I’ll go for 4th March, please  @TomSE12

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy or sunny but not too hot!
9 hours ago, TomSE12 said:

Inspired by snowray's original version, I've decided on a Format for a new Competition, which will be entitled -

The South East Region Weather Predicting Competition. The Competition will comprise of 4 Categories.

Having looked at the 00z Model Runs and noted that there seems little prospect of anything Wintry, in the near future, I will wipe the slate clean up to and including LAUREN's prediction of 20th February. All other predictions will stand after that date, beginning with - BLUEBELL and CLARET047, who both predicted 23rd February for the first date of "Settling Snow". All Entrants who made predictions for after 20th February, may change their mind, if they so wish.

CATEGORY 1: -

Predict the next Date of "Settling Snow", as in Ray's Competition just a dusting will count but NOT Hail.

See link below, to Forecast Model Runs on the Meteociel Website:

http://www.meteociel.fr/

CATEGORY 2: - Predict the exact and final date, of the last named North Atlantic Storm, and it's name, to enter the Shipping Forecast area. See list below:

image.thumb.png.d4891e95469ff8d8810ecd5d60d95660.png

See map below, to Shipping Forecast areas: 

image.png.d5d7e16d0a4e0a08705732519e39a9bc.png

CATEGORY 3:-

Predict the exact Date and Temperature (to the nearest degree Celcius), of the last AIR Frost of the Season.

CATEGORY 4:-

Predict the FIRST Date that 21c (70f), is recorded in the South East Region.

Please Copy/Paste your predictions, into the Boxes provided below:

CATEGORY 1: (next date of "Settling Snow, in the S.E.Region) -

CAREGORY 2: ( exact date and name of last named Storm to enter Shipping Forecast area) -

CATEGORY 3: (exact date/Temp. to nearest degree Celsius, of last AIR Frost of the Season, in S.E.Region) -

CATEGORY 4: (exact date that 21c (70f) is first recorded, in the S.E.Region) -  

Your predictions MUST be posted on the South East Thread by, 9 PM Saturday 15th February.

Thank you.

I will decide on a Scoring System, in the next couple of Days. 

Regards,

Tom :hi:

Hello again Tom.

Category 1- I will stick with 23 March

Category 2 Exact date will be 7 April- but I can't open the link of storm names- I guess it will be the 6th named on the list whatever that is.

Category 3 Last air frost 20 May

Category 4 first 21C will be 3 May

Many thanks

Kind Regards

Dave

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive
9 hours ago, Wimbledon88 said:

Im still convinced March will deliver a wintry week or 10 days. Better late than never I suppose. 

5c and sunny this morning in SW London. Looking lively again later in the week. 

At least any threats of hosepipe bans in the summer have well and truly gone now which is something.  

I have a feeling a late snowfall will come late in March . I feel it in my bones.

• Like 2

Posted
4 hours ago, TomSE12 said:

Regards,

Hi Tom , I think you have missed me off that list , I had March the 24th I think  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunder

Hi @TomSE12

CATEGORY 1: (next date of "Settling Snow, in the S.E.Region) - I’ll stick with my original 29th Feb please

CAREGORY 2: ( exact date and name of last named Storm to enter Shipping Forecast area) - Hugh, 4th March

CATEGORY 3: (exact date/Temp. to nearest degree Celsius, of last AIR Frost of the Season, in S.E.Region) - -2.8, 19th March

CATEGORY 4: (exact date that 21c (70f) is first recorded, in the S.E.Region) -  21st March

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun

Had a sleet shower this afternoon. What a pathetic winter. Roll on summer

I walked home from school 10 times worse in the late 80s early 90’s before media decided to name a wind gust a storm name! yawn..... Dennis! 

• Like 1

Posted

CATEGORY 1: (next date of "Settling Snow, in the S.E.Region) - 16th March

CAREGORY 2: ( exact date and name of last named Storm to enter Shipping Forecast area) - 6th March, Storm Francis, Bailey.

CATEGORY 3: (exact date/Temp. to nearest degree Celsius, of last AIR Frost of the Season, in S.E.Region) -1.4, 17th March

CATEGORY 4: (exact date that 21c (70f) is first recorded, in the S.E.Region) - 12th May 2020

??

• Like 1

Posted

I mean WTF is going on . I’m sure it is beautiful for them but it’s supposed to snow in The southeast of England in February ??‍♂️.

ps , Still rather be in England though .

Edited by Mark wheeler
  • Like 3

Posted
9 minutes ago, Mark wheeler said:

I mean WTF is going on . I’m sure it is beautiful for them but it’s supposed to snow in The southeast of England in February ??‍♂️.

ps , Still rather be in England though .

Bloody typical.....

Oh well the ku-wait continues.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow (but who doesnt like that)

Just had a flood warning out for my area, they are saying the waves will be high mixed with a spring tide. They also mention that they are more worried because they are still working on the summer sea defences (they move shingle down the beach every year) well I might wake up in the night with wet feet. Has anyone seen a tiny bit of the white stuff???

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Evening all,

Much thanks for all your prompt and concise Competition Entries. More on that in a moment.

Regarding my query about the "cut-off" date for named North Atlantic Storms, I got this very prompt and helpful reply, from our own Jo Farrow:

"Hi, I wouldn't think they would have a distinct date (like hurricane season) as there would bound to be some rogue low the week after. I'm in at STV later this week and get a Met Office chat so I will try to ask."

jo.

Malcolm (Blessed Weather) via Paul, has asked me to open a Thread for my new Competition, over in the Winter Discussion Forum, as it's "clogging up", the S.E.Thread. A similar thing happened back in 2012, when I "Hosted" a Snow Depth Cup, as TomSE20.

I'm just waiting to hear from Malcolm about a small point I've raised with him, before I do so.

Before I transfer over to a new Thread, which will have to be Tomorrow now, I want to leave you with a few thoughts.

I've taken on board the fact that I've missed off a couple of Members original entries, that happened because I copied/pasted from snowray's original List and not his updated one. Don't worry, I am aware and have it all written down, in my Competition folder. I will correct this oversight, Tomorrow.

Finally, I will direct this at Raimondo (snowray).

Regarding your point about good Restaurants, in the area. You could do no worse than eat at our House, one of thw finest eateries, in S,E.London. "Septic" (Wife Colette), cooked a fantastic hybrid Spaghetti Carbonara/Primavera:

image.thumb.png.6a150a54bcb30ec1f61e508af0eef348.png

I know there's a oodles of Pasta and Parmesan on it, what do you expect I'm half-Italian. But at least it's pretty authentically Italian and finished with an egg cracked over it and NOT swimming in cream, like those awful Ready Meals. Of course, the cheese should be Pecorino and not Parmesan but it was delicious. Poor Colette nearly sliced her finger off when cutting up the Bacon. We prefer to use lean Bacon, rather than fatty Pancetta.

Also for snowray, I will be entering my Son Antony, into my Competition.

He was once famously mis-identified live on BBC Television by former Snooker Player/now Commentator John Virgo, as Joe Pasquale, while attending a BBC televised Snooker Championships, at Wembley . Here is Antony below with his Sister, Hayley on the right and a friend in the middle, there is a likeness, don't you think?

large.gallery_2739_1518_1478.jpg.f253a13ebe9fa4ccf79c706bcfc0b168.jpg 

It was taken at the V Festival at Chelmsford, around 10 Years ago.

Poor Antony is very ill now with Huntington's Disease, inherited from his Mother (my first Wife). His Sister also has the faulty gene and will also become ill soon, sadly it's terminal in every case.

To get this Post back to the Weather, like Dad, my children are both Snow Junkies, especially Hayley. She has been all over the place to experience the "White Gold", Iceland (no NOT Bejams) three times, Canada twice and Berlin, to experience their Christmas Markets. She had the best Snow experience in Berlin, rather than the other two locations, strangely enough!! But some of the best Snow pics she's taken, were outside her own Doorstep. Some of you might have seen them already, over on my Feb.2009 Thames Snow Streamer Thread, for those that havn't, here they are again:

image.thumb.png.8e7eb83c9d9e32c91f790d80b0fcb4ef.png image.thumb.png.9930bc2fbc52ec0c3e22b05f6c35143d.png

The first, my Daughter's car outside her Maisonette in Anerley, S.E.London.

It was here I began my NW life, as TomSE20. 

The second, is of a very snowy looking Anerley Station, taken on Mon.2nd February 2009. The T/S had petered out, only to be replaced by some more Snow, moving N.W., out of N.E. France.

This was a particularly heavy Snowfall, for this part of S.E.London but as we know, this Thames Streamer behaved in an unusual manner.

As I stated before, my kids had to tolerate "Weathergeek" Dad (apologies to the Lady, that goes by that name) but they probably both knew what a Scandinavian High was, before they were "knee high to a grasshopper" :shok:

So, I'll say good evening now and discuss with Malcolm where I go now with my new Competition, in the Morning.

Regards,

image.png

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 9