Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion Sept 2019 onwards

Blessed Weather

Posted

Officially sleet in north Kent here. White blobs hitting the window 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
13 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

So 2 things here - 

- The northern boundary of cold air is straddling North / South London gradually sinking south

- The PPN intensity > IE the blob is dragging the ZDL to the surface but its a very localised area-

Took couple of pics but it's melted very quickly unfortunately. Not sure if your in the colder air there just yet Steve, and most of the heavy stuff has gone north of the Thames and Kent coast.

20200210_183637.jpg

20200210_183700.jpg

Edited by snowray
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

it just rained here.

giphy.gif

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

Just rain here, with some slightly icy bits mixed in perhaps.

• Like 1

Posted
31 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

So 2 things here - 

- The northern boundary of cold air is straddling North / South London gradually sinking south

- The PPN intensity > IE the blob is dragging the ZDL to the surface but its a very localised area-

When are we going to see some snow Steve it's just plain old icy water here in herne bay orrible.... 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.
1 hour ago, alexisj9 said:

Each way on SenlacJack please, if that's OK. 

Ooops....I appreciate your backing Alexis but it seems as though the snow has fallen further north in our region. Personally I think East Anglia should be discounted as it's too far north

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
12 minutes ago, Snowfish2 said:

When are we going to see some snow Steve it's just plain old icy water here in herne bay orrible.... 

The blob of ppn is moving your way now, you never know you might see a few flakes of snow.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow (but who doesnt like that)
58 minutes ago, LightningLover said:

Just rain here, with some slightly icy bits mixed in perhaps.

I don’t see us getting much. The temps come right down tomorrow but guess what no wet about.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

Some more excellent analysis from Weatherquest about yesterday's storm. Fascinating stuff as it highlights the length of time since we last saw an equivalent really strong wind event in our part of the world. And Sussex looks like it was in the firing line as the squall line went through.

"A simple contour map of the number of years since each observation station last recorded wind gusts of equal strength or stronger than Sunday's. In general, areas with the most significant values were East Midlands into East Anglia, where the squall line gusts were most intense."

1083162262_Weatherquestyearssincemaxgust09Feb2020.thumb.jpg.4280b778141fd910e80c393ae83635d6.jpg

Source: Twitter: @danholley_

• Like 5

Posted
2 hours ago, snowray said:

Yes he's won it Tom, if it also snows in Lowestoft, and that blob does indeed look like snow, then it will be a remarkable result.

Hi Snowray /Tom, Glad to give you the good news, yes we had settling snow here at lowestoft didnt last for long and soon melted once the squall went through.

The squall hit at around 5pm as i was driving from Lowestoft, started as hail, then turned to snow grains mixed with flakes and soon left a slight covering, by the time i got home the shower had turned to sleety rain, unable to take any photos as i was driving, 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow (but who doesnt like that)
3 minutes ago, Snowfish2 said:

Donna are u herne bay area 

No I’m in Rye  I do think it’s brilliant people are getting some snow but I’m so jealous ☺️

Edited by DonnaThw
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

Funny old day today.Lovely fresh start to the day and sunny till about 11 but then the clouds rolled in and showers started about 3.30 in Locksbottom area till about 7ish and now temperature dropped to 1.7)8pm) and a clear sky now.Glad to see our friends up in Scotland Northern Ireland and Northern England have seen a few flakes and likely to see a few more over the next 24-48 hours. The wait for the vast majority in the SE Thread sadly continues!

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, DonnaThw said:

No I’m in Rye  I do think it’s brilliant people are getting some snow but I’m so jealous ☺️

You and me both. Why is it given we are just an island that our weather varies that much. Mind you look at the dialects accents and languages we have  

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Timbo said:

Hi Snowray /Tom, Glad to give you the good news, yes we had settling snow here at lowestoft didnt last for long and soon melted once the squall went through.

The squall hit at around 5pm as i was driving from Lowestoft, started as hail, then turned to snow grains mixed with flakes and soon left a slight covering, by the time i got home the shower had turned to sleety rain, unable to take any photos as i was driving, 

Let's see what Tom has to say with the betting side of things, I think your ok though, it seems that quite a few areas in the region saw a temporary covering of slush, even me...Shock shock horror! 

I guess you'll be wanting your chocolate now....

external-content.duckduckgo.jpg

Edited by snowray
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

Of course now that dew points are below 0 across the region, the precipitation is nowhere to be seen. 

Chilly wind chill though, and same for tomorrow! 

dp0.thumb.png.1df5e996a4c9cc2b109aab6774eee2fa.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Morning all (4 AM),

Apologies for my non appearance last Night. Went up for my obligatory late Afternoon nap at 4.45 and set my alarm for 5.45 but slept through it. So, Brontophobic me slept through the lightning and thunder, very unusual for me!! 

"Septic" (Poor Colette, I call her that around the House  now), tried to phone me after hearing the thunder at work, in Chislehurst but was concerned when she got no answer. So she was frantically phoning her Son (my Stepson), to ask if I was ok. The first I knew, was when he knocked on my Bedroom Door at 7.15, to ask if I'd had my B.P. Tablet, which I normally take at 5.45, so obviously I hadn't.

Therefore I missed all the excitement, late yesterday Afternoon/early Evening, and confirmation of TIMBO's victory, in the NETWEATHER S.E.REGION SETTLING SNOW CUP.

In a short while, I will Post up the Result of "Virtual" Wagers aspect, of the Competition. 

Hope snowray will forgive me for plagiarising some parts of his Competition but as I'm of the opinion that Snow may make a final appearance over the next few Weeks, want to reopen the Competition with a couple of additional Categories.

Regards,

Tom.   :hi: ❄️

• Like 2

Posted

might  have to batten the  hatches diwn again for the weekend!

gfs-2-114.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Below, is the Result of the Betting ("Virtual" Wagers) side, of the Competition:

1st - TIMBO - £80.00

2nd - LOTTIEKENT - £61.25

3rd - TOMSE12 - £25.00

Not surprisingly, after backing himself to be Outright Winner and NORTH THAMES Winner, TIMBO claims first prize, in the Betting side, of the Competition.

LOTTIEKENT, shows again she has a knack of doing well in these Snow Competitions, by adding 2nd place to her 2012 victory, in my Snow Depth Cup.

TOMSE12, sneaks into 3rd place, courtesy of backing TIMBO to be NORTH THAMES Winner. 

I will now conduct a short Prize giving Ceremony.

1st - TIMBO - £80.00. Timbo will receive either A) - An all expenses paid "Virtual" Week in the Skiing Resort of your choice plus Skiing Lessons , from a qualified Ski Instructor. 

Or,

B.) - An all expenses paid "Virtual" Week in Lappland, during Christmas 2020. Your accommodation, will be a Log Cabin. You will also experience Reindeer drawn, Sleigh Rides plus tuition on how to operate a Snowmobile, and of course meet Father Christmas. 

You decide Timbo.

2nd - LOTTIEKENT - £61.25. Lottie will receive image.thumb.png.0f3a11abbb79c155a34b0525da158241.png 3/4 of a "Virtual" Bottle of Advocaat but I'm sorry you'll have to supply your own Lemonade, to make some Snowballs. It was kindly donated by "Septic", to the Competition. Sorry Lottie but I think Colette started on it, at the end of Christmas. But it has been in our Fridge, does it keep? Make the most of it though Lottie, as it may be some time before you're able to make anymore Snowballs!!

3rd - TOMSE12 - £25.00. My prize is having the enjoyment of joint "hosting" the Competition with snowray.

Thanks Ray and to all those who took part, it's been a lot of fun.

Right, I'm off to take a look at the 00z Model Runs and decide on a Format, for version 2 of the Competition.

Regards,

Tom.   :hi: ❄️

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 3