Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion Sept 2019 onwards

Blessed Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
1 hour ago, Rob Deacon said:

I've got to to in to work tomorrow as so busy at the moment, my cars engine just died on me to so will have to ride my Ebike, from Haywards Heath to Burgess hill. It's only about 5.5 miles each way, but won't be fun in the wind and rain be around 3pm that I have to ride home to which looks to be peak wind time round here...

Forecast to be about 70mph here in the afternoon, probably be nightmare for me on the county roads at that time on a bike. 

Good excuse to say to the boss that you can't get in.  Not safe to do what you're thinking of in those sort of winds, I'd have thought.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
1 hour ago, Reefseeker said:

I was wondering the same thing, as my husband is due to fly into Heathrow tomorrow afternoon from Cyprus. The flight from Cyprus starts off from Heathrow tomorrow morning before turning around at Larnaca and heading back to the UK. I'm wondering if the morning flight will even take off, let alone make the return journey. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed for all of you flying tomorrow. Good luck!

A beautiful blue skies day today. I've put all plant pots into hiding, same with the garden furniture, and wedged the wheelie bins and barbecue along the side of the house; hopefully none of it is necessary, but this has the feel of a strong storm in terms of wind strength over quite a prolonged period, so doing that whole better safe than sorry thing. And really hoping the fences stay up! As with @stainesbloke, stay safe everyone.

I guess just keep an eye on the flight schedule, if the outbound flight is late or cancelled then obviously the return sector will be affected. Am working Monday morning so hoping for no delays but it’s looking quite severe, unfortunately (or fortunately!). Storm Ciara will pummel much of the continent, after it’s done with the UK, it’s a massive system.

• Like 1

Posted

I doubt the east coast and far south east coastal areas will be badly flooded as the offshore wind will create a negative surge affect.

Posted

I expected the MetO to increase the Amber warning coverage!! I'm also expecting higher wind gusts tomorrow

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow (but who doesnt like that)

I have been outside a lot today, I have a horrible cold and cough and the fresh air seemed to help. I couldn’t get over how lovely a day it has been it’s hard to believe that in less than 12 hours that a storm is due to hit. There hasn’t even been a breeze today really which is unusual for where I live. It really is the calm before the storm. 
 Just seen that the majority of the uk is now under a amber warning.

Edited by DonnaThw
  • Like 5

Posted
2 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

I guess just keep an eye on the flight schedule, if the outbound flight is late or cancelled then obviously the return sector will be affected. Am working Monday morning so hoping for no delays but it’s looking quite severe, unfortunately (or fortunately!). Storm Ciara will pummel much of the continent, after it’s done with the UK, it’s a massive system.

OH did online check-in to be greeted by a message requesting passengers to switch flights to Tuesday or Wednesday. The flight is not yet showing as cancelled, sets off at 2.30pm tomorrow from Cyprus, so he's checked in and is keeping everything crossed! 

@DonnaThw agreed, it was so sunny and calm today, it's almost unbelievable what's forecast to come. As with you I have a terrible cold and also felt better outdoors. 

Edited by Reefseeker
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.
5 hours ago, Hurricane Debby said:

I'd love to meet up to say hi  I just hope my wretched car starts becuase its been playing up this week.... What  do the reckon will be the best time to go out, or will it really matter ?!

High tide tomorrow in Hastings is 10.54 am so all being well I will try and aim to be at Rock-a-Nore in time for that. That said if conditions are really bad I'm old enough and wise enough not to take chances with natures fury.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme.....
4 minutes ago, SenlacJack said:

High tide tomorrow in Hastings is 10.54 am so all being well I will try and aim to be at Rock-a-Nore in time for that. That said if conditions are really bad I'm old enough and wise enough not to take chances with natures fury.

Will it be as strong as Storm Angus in 2016 ? That one did scare me a bit, it turned a gazebo I had totally upside down and ripped it to shreds. I didn't have a light outside the back at the time and I didn't realise that it was one of the legs that was constantly bashing against the glass of my back door. I won't deny it was at this point I went to bed and crawled under the duvet not knowing if the window would last ! I can laugh now but I was terrified at the time !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun

Lovely day today, out and about with the doggos.. Perfect! 

Windy day tomorrow forecast, along with rain. I wish I could get excited about wind & rain during this awful winter we are experiencing. Yawn....

Roll on spring and to boiling hot dry summer. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, storms or both at same time..
3 hours ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

Good excuse to say to the boss that you can't get in.  Not safe to do what you're thinking of in those sort of winds, I'd have thought.

Trouble is I am the boss lol, but luckily my mrs has cancelled her plans so I can use her van tomorrow 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunder

My wife has it in her head  that we need to go shopping at Bluewater tomorrow, a good hour’s drive on the best of days from the Surrey Hills ....I keep saying that given the Amber warning, the forecasts  etc that it rally isn’t a good idea....I’ll leave any further injection into the conversation until the morning

• Like 2

Posted
21 minutes ago, John Stevens said:

My wife has it in her head  that we need to go shopping at Bluewater tomorrow, a good hour’s drive on the best of days from the Surrey Hills ....I keep saying that given the Amber warning, the forecasts  etc that it rally isn’t a good idea....I’ll leave any further injection into the conversation until the morning

Find a report that says "Drivers are asked not to travel unless it's essential" that should sort it. If not, a bad back in the morning may be necessary. 

• Like 3

Posted
38 minutes ago, Hurricane Debby said:

Will it be as strong as Storm Angus in 2016 ? That one did scare me a bit, it turned a gazebo I had totally upside down and ripped it to shreds. I didn't have a light outside the back at the time and I didn't realise that it was one of the legs that was constantly bashing against the glass of my back door. I won't deny it was at this point I went to bed and crawled under the duvet not knowing if the window would last ! I can laugh now but I was terrified at the time !

My memory is not all it should be but having looked up Storm Angus I think Ciara is potentially on a par with that.

Slightly off topic but my Facebook page reminded me that on this day last year I was on the seafront in Hastings taking photographs and video of Storm Erik. It aso reminded me that on this day in 2017 I witnessed my first snowfall of that winter....and it was in Mallorca of all places. The day before that I was on the beach enjoying temperatures of 21c.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

The breeze has increased ever so slightly.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

Not sure what to expect tomorrow! Could we "only" get 50 mph gusts in London while areas N and S experience 65-70 mph.. - Going to be an interesting day for sure. 

Posted

Love this song from my youth and it seems appropriate this evening

Just joking but I do love this song.

Edited by SenlacJack
Added a comment
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Wind is starting to get up just a little here now, went out and watched some fluffy clouds shooting past. Going a lot faster than the outside breeze implies.