Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion Sept 2019 onwards

Blessed Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Cold/Snowy Winter! Just SEASONAL!!

You wait years for an Amber Warning and then the one you get is for wind, not snow!!!! Aarrgghh!! Ah well, at least it's some excitement in these otherwise end of winter gloomy days, lol!x

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
26 minutes ago, Mikel Nimbus said:

Has London/Home counties ever had an amber warning for wind? I'm struggling to think of a time it has happened before.

October 28th 2013.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.
5 minutes ago, weathergeek said:

You wait years for an Amber Warning and then the one you get is for wind, not snow!!!! Aarrgghh!! Ah well, at least it's some excitement in these otherwise end of winter gloomy days, lol!x

yep.

• Like 2

Posted
48 minutes ago, Stabilo19 said:

65 mph gusts will definitely cause damage in inland areas. Avg windy winter days here are 40-50 mph so we are well above "normal" territory.

Plus some models have been suggesting 70-75 mph inland - so it's the met office that have been downplaying it, rather than people here over exaggerating. 

How do you know the Meto are downplaying it? They may be right and have access to a lot more data than we do.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy or sunny but not too hot!
1 hour ago, Snipper said:

In the 87 storm damaged caused was quite variable. Some areas completely trashed and others less so. 

Remember well looking out our bedroom window to see mature trees falling everywhere. We had no electricity  for nearly a week.  Took a car battery into work and charged it up so we could watch TV for a couple of hours each night on a little portable. Fortunately we did not rely on electricity for heating.  

No mobile phone nor did the landline work. So there was one benefit.

Everyone itching to go all electric to save the planet? Always nice in these circumstances to have Plan B if you can.

AMBER WARNING FOR MOST OF england just announced

Good Morning everyone.

I remember it very well too. At the time I worked for Essex County Council in the Building Surveyor's Section of the County Architect's Department and was in charge of the admin for the central office in County Hall as well as our 5 area offices. 

When I got up I knew it was quite an event overnight, with the wind still very strong at just after 6 O'clock. What I noticed and found strange was the water in the toilet bowl was riding up and down in small waves. I have never worked out to this day why this should have been so! I decided to see the TV News and realised the impact it had caused in our region and decided to walk to work early, which was a good job I did. The road to town had a large tree across and there were trees and large branches everywhere. When I got into County Hall I found I was the only one in the section that had made it in and the phone was ringing continuously from properties that had incurred damage, At that time there were far more properties looked after by ECC than today. We had all the schools and colleges in the county, as well as all social services properties (inc Elderly Persons Homes and Childrens homes), 1100 police properties, fire stations and houses as well as court houses and country parks. We still looked after the schools in Southend and Thurrock and schools did not have their own budgets for maintenance.

When it was all over, one of my tasks was to prepare a committee report on the extent and cost of the damage. Four schools had their roofs blown off and there was much damage, although less serious to many other properties. At today's prices the total cost would have run into at least £250M I believe.

My then next door neighbour's son was due to go on a school trip that morning to France and was up at 3.30 for an early start. When they met at the school they found they were going nowhere.

Walking back that evening and on subsequent days I recall seeing workers from other electricity companies working on overhead power lines including some from Northern Ireland. It was a case of all hands to the decks.

Although such events are interesting from the sidelines, if tomorrow's storm approaches the level of intensity during daylight hours it will be one that could cause a great deal of problems and I would rather it didn't live up to it's potential.

Stay safe

Kind Regards

Dave

Edited by claret047
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny
10 minutes ago, Djdazzle said:

How do you know the Meto are downplaying it? They may be right and have access to a lot more data than we do.

Well the majority of models have been consistently suggesting higher winds than the met office, so they're the odd one out. They might be right on the day but we can only post about what the models are showing at the moment!

Edited by Stabilo19

Posted
6 minutes ago, Stabilo19 said:

Well the majority of models have been consistently suggesting higher winds than the met office, so they're the odd one out. They might be right on the day but we can only post about what the models are showing at the moment!

Agreed, I think it’ll come down to now casting. Will be a wild day regardless!

• Like 1

Posted

I was at school age when the storm of 87 struck. Where we lived we often had strong winds so I managed to sleep thorough it all. We didn't have much damage so we were lucky - our roof was fine as was our garden fences - the only thing it did surprisingly, was 'dump' the contents of two flower plastic plant urns by our front door perfectly without even damaging the contents, while the pots had found their way down the road.  My bedroom window was covered in mud.

A friends father, then a fireman, rung us to say not to go out soon after we found out school was closed as it was still too dangerous. My school lost it's gym roof and took months for it to be repaired. 

To put in context, we lived maybe 5 miles away from the south coast and the school a mile and a bit further. I think the more in land you were the worst it was. 100's of trees were felled that night.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: greenhithe, kent (nr bluewater) 51.45216 n 0.25966 e
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter hot in summer
  • Location: greenhithe, kent (nr bluewater) 51.45216 n 0.25966 e

looks worse than  i though, with the thames estuary and london heathrow expecting winds of 72mph could will be keeping a a eye on the prerssure please note i expect that the dartford bridge will be shut so i would avoid the area if possible.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: rubbish boring weather
1 hour ago, Dami said:

I was at school age when the storm of 87 struck. Where we lived we often had strong winds so I managed to sleep thorough it all. We didn't have much damage so we were lucky - our roof was fine as was our garden fences - the only thing it did surprisingly, was 'dump' the contents of two flower plastic plant urns by our front door perfectly without even damaging the contents, while the pots had found their way down the road.  My bedroom window was covered in mud.

A friends father, then a fireman, rung us to say not to go out soon after we found out school was closed as it was still too dangerous. My school lost it's gym roof and took months for it to be repaired. 

To put in context, we lived maybe 5 miles away from the south coast and the school a mile and a bit further. I think the more in land you were the worst it was. 100's of trees were felled that night.

Blimey, i didnt know you were soo old Dami  i was at college in Eastbourne in 87 so im even older tho!
It does look like it may be one of the windiest days we have had for many years. Some including BBC weather are now saying 70 - 80 miles an hour near the coasts, and that could be quite damaging, especially as its due during the day and for an extended period. I must admit though, with the lack of any interesting weather this winter it is a bit exciting.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
5 minutes ago, jasonuk said:

Blimey, i didnt know you were soo old Dami  i was at college in Eastbourne in 87 so im even older tho!
It does look like it may be one of the windiest days we have had for many years. Some including BBC weather are now saying 70 - 80 miles an hour near the coasts, and that could be quite damaging, especially as its due during the day and for an extended period. I must admit though, with the lack of any interesting weather this winter it is a bit exciting.

And I'm even older...I was marooned in Euston Station after wind brought down the overhead wires. That was New Year 1976!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: rubbish boring weather

I was only 5 then so i was probably watching Andy Pandy or something

• Like 3

Posted
15 minutes ago, jasonuk said:

I was at secondary school, so maybe 14 at the time. It's the Eastbourian sea air you know, keeps ya young!

Edited by Dami
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme.....
12 hours ago, SenlacJack said:

Perhaps we could have a South Coast Storm Party meetup .

Only joking of course but I might be tempted to take the short drive to my favoured viewing spots at Rock a Nore in Hastings and just a mile or so away on the seafront in St Leonards on Sea. Checking my camera batteries in the morning to hopefully get some good photos.

I'd love to meet up to say hi  I just hope my wretched car starts becuase its been playing up this week.... What  do the reckon will be the best time to go out, or will it really matter ?!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: IN THE FOOT HILLS AND DENSELY FORESTED AREAS OF TUNBRIDGE WELLS IN KENT
  • Weather Preferences: I like a bit of weather
  • Location: IN THE FOOT HILLS AND DENSELY FORESTED AREAS OF TUNBRIDGE WELLS IN KENT

I'd just say to everyone to stay safe tomorrow and remember those that HAVE to go out tomorrow.  Emergency Services, Farmers and the like.  And although I might sound an utter bore don't take risks that you don't have to... Think of how your risky actions will impact loved ones if you are injured or God forbid dead.  I'm so sorry to say this but stories of people sodding about on beaches and piers and then getting swept away really really upset me terribly.  Best wishes to you all x

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms
20 minutes ago, Hurricane Debby said:

I'd love to meet up to say hi  I just hope my wretched car starts becuase its been playing up this week.... What  do the reckon will be the best time to go out, or will it really matter ?!

I’m heading out at 09:00 to see the wind Increase, and for high tide at ~11:50. This could be a very significant one indeed!

• Like 1

Posted

I'm that age to know what the great storm was like that was horrible 2 .5 weeks  living out in the country all my mum had was a coal fire  to cook on   this one could be as  bad so be prepared

4 hours ago, Snipper said:

In the 87 storm damaged caused was quite variable. Some areas completely trashed and others less so. 

Remember well looking out our bedroom window to see mature trees falling everywhere. We had no electricity  for nearly a week.  Took a car battery into work and charged it up so we could watch TV for a couple of hours each night on a little portable. Fortunately we did not rely on electricity for heating.  

No mobile phone nor did the landline work. So there was one benefit.

Everyone itching to go all electric to save the planet? Always nice in these circumstances to have Plan B if you can.

AMBER WARNING FOR MOST OF england just announced

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Been back in Prague a few days but am due to fly to Heathrow tomorrow evening, wonder if I’ll be going at all? Looking like a very disturbed day tomorrow with some damaging wind gusts. Take care everyone

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

I think I’ll stay along the seafront tomorrow, and pop in to the De La Warr for a coffee. My dad wants me to stay safe tomorrow, so Galley Hill would be a bit risky I feel.

Posted
14 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Been back in Prague a few days but am due to fly to Heathrow tomorrow evening, wonder if I’ll be going at all? Looking like a very disturbed day tomorrow with some damaging wind gusts. Take care everyone

I was wondering the same thing, as my husband is due to fly into Heathrow tomorrow afternoon from Cyprus. The flight from Cyprus starts off from Heathrow tomorrow morning before turning around at Larnaca and heading back to the UK. I'm wondering if the morning flight will even take off, let alone make the return journey. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed for all of you flying tomorrow. Good luck!

A beautiful blue skies day today. I've put all plant pots into hiding, same with the garden furniture, and wedged the wheelie bins and barbecue along the side of the house; hopefully none of it is necessary, but this has the feel of a strong storm in terms of wind strength over quite a prolonged period, so doing that whole better safe than sorry thing. And really hoping the fences stay up! As with @stainesbloke, stay safe everyone.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, storms or both at same time..

I've got to to in to work tomorrow as so busy at the moment, my cars engine just died on me to so will have to ride my Ebike, from Haywards Heath to Burgess hill. It's only about 5.5 miles each way, but won't be fun in the wind and rain be around 3pm that I have to ride home to which looks to be peak wind time round here...

Forecast to be about 70mph here in the afternoon, probably be nightmare for me on the county roads at that time on a bike. 

Posted
55 minutes ago, LightningLover said:

I think I’ll stay along the seafront tomorrow, and pop in to the De La Warr for a coffee. My dad wants me to stay safe tomorrow, so Galley Hill would be a bit risky I feel.

Hopelng to go to.felicstowe  in  the morning  to catch some photos

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme.....
1 hour ago, LightningLover said:

I have to say even I am questioning it a bit. The roof on my car is knackered and I have visions of it being shredded !!

• Like 2

Posted

I love a bit of sensational comment but this does seem like the calm before the armageddon tomorrow. So clear and a deep deep deep blue sky. With a gentle wind rustling the trees 

• Like 2