Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion Sept 2019 onwards

Blessed Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Thunderstorms, Wind

I'm heading to canary wharf for lunch on Sunday. I have a feeling it's going to be a bit blowy there, as the buildings channel the wind. I have seen videos of YouTube of people struggling to stand up!

• Like 2

Posted

XC weather has increased the gusts speed up by a few miles an hour to 69mph between 3 and 6. Now that would be fairly notable if that came off

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Jimmyh said:

XC weather has increased the gusts speed up by a few miles an hour to 69mph between 3 and 6. Now that would be fairly notable if that came off

XC weather feeds off GFS and the 00z brings a few hours of winds in the south east we haven't seen since storm Brian I think it was where 70mph was recorded inland that bought a lot of damage to my area with power lines down and a 2 very large trees down blocked the roads for a time.. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather

It is a beautiful frosty morning in South Ockendon.  The temperature is 4 Celsius.

• Like 4

Posted

Not sure what the temp got down to last night but a thick frost this morning at 0530. moonset was a spectacular orange moon low in the sky.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive

Hello Winter ..

A41A5C3E-4B4A-4078-AB3D-5046BE45CBEC.jpeg

And probably bye Winter .

Edited by Mark wheeler
  • Like 7

Posted
16 minutes ago, Snowflake Queen said:

Cold and frosty ... I knew before I even got up and looked out the window thanks to my new friend alexa  

Yes indeed, Alexa is wonderful in the morning for all sorts.  

Up to 4c here in SW19 now. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

We should start an Alexa fan thread. Hubs loves them. He has just brought 2 more to update the ones we have  we have 3 upstairs and 4 downstairs. She's not always right with the weather. We also have a Google, but poor love is hardly used.

Beautiful icy blue sun rise. Thick white frost. I think some road users got caught out today considering the sirens going off. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

We have an amber warning now!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm spring days and summer thunderstorms

Another smashing early Spring morning. Calm clear and sunny with a rapid thaw of the frost temps rising very quickly already at 9C thats 48F. in old money. The daffs are out well and truly. And the grass needs cutting again.

Enjoy today before the windy start next week. Going to have a potter in the greenhouse and a tipple. Might be warm enough for shirtsleeves. Good Health to you all.

• Like 2

Posted

Thankfully I'm not in the amber. I'm not a big fan of wind storms. Being in pitch dark because a tree had fallen on to a cable isn't my idea of fun as it sets off my anxiety, but it does happen. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Morning all,

Was up very early, to have Breakfast with "Septic", before she set off at 6.15 for her early Morning shift. 

Had a look at the 00z Model Runs and have revised the Betting Odds for the Entrant to correctly predict the first Date of Settling Snow, in the S.E.Region.

I've based my revised Betting Odds, on the Model output up to about the 20th February. Further out, I 've incorporated some Climatology into my thinking. This is based on there being more chance of settling Snow during late February, than there is in early March.

Still think sooner or later (probably later), we will see some settling Snow in the S.E.Region.

These Betting Odds are only meant to be a rough guide and my own interpretation, of the Forecast Model Runs. 

My Percentages are probably out.

The Betting may well be too Over-Round (too mean), or too Under-Round (too generous). But I couldn't be "asked", to work it all out, precisely.

Here are those Odds below, in Betting order:

NETWEATHER S.E.REGION SETTLING SNOW CUP  

BETTING ODDS FOR WINNING PREDICTION 

(OUTRIGHT WINNER)

ENTRANT         PREDICTION DATE     ODDS(26th Jan)     REVISED ODDS(7th FEB)

Bluebell                          23rd FEB                   10/1                                   10/1

Snow Queen One          24th FEB                   10/1                                   10/1

Snowray                        22nd FEB                   10/1                                   10/1

Timbo                             10th FEB                   10/1                                   10/1

Lauren                           20th FEB                    10/1                                  16/1

Daniel                            15th FEB                    10/1                                   20/1

Lottiekent                      16th FEB                    10/1                                   20/1

Septic Peg (Guest)       15th FEB                    10/1                                   20/1

Stainesbloke                 19th FEB                    10/1                                   20/1

Steve Murr                     14th FEB                   10/1                                   20/1

Team Squirrel                19th FEB                   10/1                                   20/1

TomSE12                        14th FEB                   10/1                                   20/1

Darkcloud                       28th FEB                  14/1                                   25/1                     

Donna Thw                     27th FEB                  14/1                                   25/1

Lassie23                         29th FEB                  14/1                                   25/1

Pinball Wizard                29th FEB                  14/1                                  25/1

Senlac Jack                    26th FEB                  14/1                                  25/1

Snowrye                          1st  MAR                  50/1                                  28/1

Froze Were The Days     9th  MAR                100/1                                 66/1

Claret047                        23rd MAR                250/1                               200/1

John Stevens                29th  MAR                250/1                               200/1

Mark Wheeler                22nd MAR                250/1                               200/1

Bazza118                       10th   APR                500/1                               500/1

General Custer              29th  NOV              1000/1                             1000/1

ALSO RAN

Katrine Basso                31st  JAN                 50/1     (ELIMINATED).

BLUE = North Thames Group.

RED   = South Thames Group.

I don't think you'll be on your own for too long, Katrine.

There are quite a few of us (inc. Yours Truly), "staring down the barrel", of an early exit!!

Still think TIMBO has a "squeak" of being correct.

Once we get into that colder PM flow, following Storm Ciara's visit, some Showers could well be driven into the S.E.Region. It's not inconceivable that they could give the slightest dusting of Snow, over the highest Hills of our Region, e.g. The Chilterns or Downs.

Just want to Post up snowray's criteria, for the winning Entry:

QUOTE: snowray (22nd Jan)

"When will it snow next and settle in our SE region? Even a dusting counts but not sleet or hail, must be snow."

Right, I now need to go and lie down, in a darkened room!! :oldsmile:

Regards,

Tom.  :hi: ❄️

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 4

Posted

Errr,, what the ekky thump is this for Heathrow. Me thinks it is having problems dear xcweather. Mentions snow... on Valentine's day....

Edited by UxbridgeSnow

Posted

The one thing I have noticed is that it will not be just Sunday that we have strong winds forecast for my area. In fact the gust speed doesnt drop below 20mph from 1400 Saturday right through to Thursday. Doubt there will be much left to blow around by then :oldrolleyes:

default_card_315.jpg
WWW.METOFFICE.GOV.UK

The Royal Artillery Barracks 7 day weather forecast including weather warnings, temperature, rain, wind, visibility, humidity and UV

Edited by MAF

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunder
1 hour ago, TomSE12 said:

Morning all,

Was up very early, to have Breakfast with "Septic", before she set off at 6.15 for her early Morning shift. 

Had a look at the 00z Model Runs and have revised the Betting Odds for the Entrant to correctly predict the first Date of Settling Snow, in the S.E.Region.

I've based my revised Betting Odds, on the Model output up to about the 20th February. Further out, I 've incorporated some Climatology into my thinking. This is based on there being more chance of settling Snow during late February, than there is in early March.

Still think sooner or later (probably later), we will see some settling Snow in the S.E.Region.

These Betting Odds are only meant to be a rough guide and my own interpretation, of the Forecast Model Runs. 

My Percentages are probably out.

The Betting may well be too Over-Round (too mean), or too Under-Round (too generous). But I couldn't be "asked", to work it all out, precisely.

Here are those Odds below, in Betting order:

NETWEATHER S.E.REGION SETTLING SNOW CUP  

BETTING ODDS FOR WINNING PREDICTION 

(OUTRIGHT WINNER)

ENTRANT         PREDICTION DATE     ODDS(26th Jan)     REVISED ODDS(7th FEB)

Bluebell                          23rd FEB                   10/1                                   10/1

Snow Queen One          24th FEB                   10/1                                   10/1

Snowray                        22nd FEB                   10/1                                   10/1

Timbo                             10th FEB                   10/1                                   10/1

Lauren                           20th FEB                    10/1                                  16/1

Daniel                            15th FEB                    10/1                                   20/1

Lottiekent                      16th FEB                    10/1                                   20/1

Septic Peg (Guest)       15th FEB                    10/1                                   20/1

Stainesbloke                 19th FEB                    10/1                                   20/1

Steve Murr                     14th FEB                   10/1                                   20/1

Team Squirrel                19th FEB                   10/1                                   20/1

TomSE12                        14th FEB                   10/1                                   20/1

Darkcloud                       28th FEB                  14/1                                   25/1                     

Donna Thw                     27th FEB                  14/1                                   25/1

Lassie23                         29th FEB                  14/1                                   25/1

Pinball Wizard                29th FEB                  14/1                                  25/1

Senlac Jack                    26th FEB                  14/1                                  25/1

Snowrye                          1st  MAR                  50/1                                  28/1

Froze Were The Days     9th  MAR                100/1                                 66/1

Claret047                        23rd MAR                250/1                               200/1

John Stevens                29th  MAR                250/1                               200/1

Mark Wheeler                22nd MAR                250/1                               200/1

Bazza118                       10th   APR                500/1                               500/1

General Custer              29th  NOV              1000/1                             1000/1

ALSO RAN

Katrine Basso                31st  JAN                 50/1     (ELIMINATED).

BLUE = North Thames Group.

RED   = South Thames Group.

I don't think you'll be on your own for too long, Katrine.

There are quite a few of us (inc. Yours Truly), "staring down the barrel", of an early exit!!

Still think TIMBO has a "squeak" of being correct.

Once we get into that colder PM flow, following Storm Ciara's visit, some Showers could well be driven into the S.E.Region. It's not inconceivable that they could give the slightest dusting of Snow, over the highest Hills of our Region, e.g. The Chilterns or Downs.

Just want to Post up snowray's criteria, for the winning Entry:

QUOTE: snowray (22nd Jan)

"When will it snow next and settle in our SE region? Even a dusting counts but not sleet or hail, must be snow."

Right, I now need to go and lie down, in a darkened room!! :oldsmile:

Regards,

Tom.  :hi: ❄️

Afternoon @TomSE12....thank you for updating the “Odds”...I noticed that your “runners and riders’ are based on your original list....my now date is the 29th Feb, not March, which you had changed.....sorry to cause you more hassles!! Not sure if the list above had any other mis-types.......

Enjoy the rest fo the day....beautifullly sunny up in the Surrey Hills today....I suspect very different to what we will see up here in the comings days!!

• Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, Mark wheeler said:

Hello Winter ..

A41A5C3E-4B4A-4078-AB3D-5046BE45CBEC.jpeg

And probably bye Winter .

It was a stunning morning, foggy along the road side as we drove to Epsom with sunbeams peaking through the trees dappling the kerbs and thick frost covering the parks and pavements, although it took an age to clear from the car before setting off. As you say, it felt all 'proper winter', but is it a case of bye bye winter old chap/ess, please return with a bit more enthusiasm in December!

Edited by Reefseeker
  • Like 1

Posted

Does anyone of a knowledgeable bent have thoughts about air travel this Sunday? My husband is due to fly into Heathrow around 5pm on Sunday from Cyprus on a flight that originates from Heathrow at 7am on Sunday. We are wondering if the morning flight to Cyprus will set off from London and even if it does, whether the returning flight from Cyprus to Heathrow will make it back. I would post the question in the Storm Ciara thread, but it's scary in there and busy too....

Posted
2 hours ago, lassie23 said:

Alexa says no to snow

No but she did say yes to the new quiz on cats.