Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion Sept 2019 onwards

Blessed Weather

I will go for 14th Feb as im off work on hols !

Just an aside there is a storm brewing into next week - could track very close to the region more especially the North parts & EA

For example 06z ICON brings the storm across the SE with snow into the midlands

962 MB is very low & MB lower than 00z

AA8A3CD6-A2F7-4DB7-8867-A467CEC6F776.thumb.png.9dc3e6c4cbc4261eb99351772e0f4653.png7A31A189-E3D5-4EC3-893B-7BD0F4BD290F.thumb.png.6a56b29e03349919cac03229619df6c7.png

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Thanks Snowray,

SEPTICPEG/SE12, will go for our Wedding Anniversary, 15th Feb.

Regards,

Tom.  :hi:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

So we have Steve M going for the 14th of Feb along with Tom, and Septicpeg the 15th of Feb. Looking hot around that period.

Any late entries today after the 12.00 deadline will have penalty points removed a bit like the CET competition, ie you will have to be pretty spot on to win, not just the closest.

Still the chance of something wintry on the 06z for next week in our region.

114-574UK.gif

120-574UK.gif

138-574UK.gif

150-780UK.gif

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy or sunny but not too hot!
12 hours ago, TomSE12 said:

Just a Postscript to my conversation with Ian Currie.

When I phoned him, he was halfway through writing a piece for the Royal Meteorological Society, for some 50 Year Celebration Event. They wanted a piece on a unique Weather Event that occured in the past 50 Years.Good Morning 

Ian has chosen the unusual, settling snowfall of late October, 2008, in Southern England. Can vaguely remember it here in Lee, S.E.London.

Ian said it was more noticeable in West London. 

Regards,

Tom.   :hi:

Good Morning Tom.

I have Ian's  book on Essex Weather. Sadly I have never met or spoken with him, but my wife did many years ago when he visited her WI meeting to give a talk on the weather. Seeing the books he has written besides the one I have I will put the Ice Fairs one on my birthday list.

As far as snow this year is concerned I think March 23rd might be the first and probably only day we witness any, if we get any at all.

With regards to Monday/Tuesday's deep low will the depression on the Icon track once it exits the SE turn the winds to the northwest and given the strength of the wind and depth of the low result in a North Sea surge.

BTW an excellent book on the tragedy that devastated the East Coast nearly 70 years ago is The Great Tide by Hilda Grieve and was obtainable from the Essex Record Office. I am nit sure if it is still available.

Kind Regards

Dave

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

Right I'm going for 22nd February, so giving it a month for things to change to a more favorable pattern, although I have a feeling that something white could turn up sooner than that.

Any more entries? 1hr 20 mins to go.:oldgood:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy or sunny but not too hot!
7 minutes ago, snowray said:

Right I'm going for 22nd February, so giving it a month for things to change to a more favorable pattern, although I have a feeling that something white could turn up sooner than that.

Any more entries? 1hr 20 mins to go.:oldgood:

Good Morning Snowray.

I am going for 23 March (My late mother's birthday)

Please see my earlier post replying to TomSE.

Many thanks

Kind Regards

Dave

• Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, claret047 said:

Good Morning Snowray.

I am going for 23 March (My late mother's birthday)

Please see my earlier post replying to TomSE.

Many thanks

Kind Regards

Dave

Hi there Dave. Yes I noticed you post to Tom and I have you entered for 23rd March. Good luck.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.

I'll go for February 26th please or if that's already taken Feb 25th.

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, SenlacJack said:

I'll go for February 26th please or if that's already taken Feb 25th.

No your fine it's not been taken yet, your entered for 26th February.

3 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

Good morning peeps...I'll go for November 29 please.

That don't count! 

Your taking liberties there! :oldlaugh:........Oh go on then....Just for you.:olddoh:

• Like 1

Posted

Or 45 mins to go, any more entries?

If anyone was waiting for the GFS 06z, we have a Scandi high that's formed out in la la land on 8th February, so if it were to verify (unlikely but who knows), then mid February could be looking good.

gfsnh-0-384.png

gfsnh-1-384.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

29th of feb that extra day will make all the difference, otherwise smarch

Edited by lassie23
  • Like 2

Posted

Quote: senior ridge: 

"Regarding 2008, snow settled here in early April and late October".

Quote: myself

"Yes, Ian Currie remarked on the Year of 2008.

In all his 40+ Years of supplying data to the Met.Office, that was the "shortest" gap between a settling Snow event, for any one Year".

Of course, I should have stated in 2 separate Autumn/Winter/Spring Seasons but hopefully you got the gist, of what I was Posting.

Regards,

Tom. :hi:

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, snowray said:

Or 45 mins to go, any more entries?

If anyone was waiting for the GFS 06z, we have a Scandi high that's formed out in la la land on 8th February, so if it were to verify (unlikely but who knows), then mid February could be looking good.

gfsnh-0-384.png

gfsnh-1-384.png

I'd bite your hand of for that, snowray. Does "Virtual" or "Faux" Snow count?

If all else fails, how about a severe Frost?

Putting my Bookmakers hat on, once all the Entries are known, can I "open a Book" (formulate some Betting Odds), on the Event? 

Regards,

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love hot sunshine and cold snowy weather

I’d like to take the 22nd since it’s my birthday?Hope no one else has?!

Posted
3 minutes ago, TomSE12 said:

I'd bite your hand of for that, snowray. Does "Virtual" or "Faux" Snow count?

If all else fails, how about a severe Frost?

Putting my Bookmakers hat on, once all the Entries are known, can I "open a Book" (formulate some Betting Odds), on the Event? 

Regards,

Yes I will accept Faux snow, as long as it produces a layer of white, 1/2 mm will do or even less, so at least a dusting. We have not had snow flurries on an easterly in years, this is a possible scenario with a cold Scandi high and could in fact be enough for a dusting of snow and win the competition.

That would be great Tom for you to open a book as you say, it will be interesting to see who you make the favorites and at what odds.

Ok we have 15 mins to go, get in quick before the deadline. if your just 5 or 10 mins late then that's still ok, I'm feeling generous today.

• Like 1

Posted

Ok, so here is the list of the 18 members who are participating in the competition in date order, a nice manageable number 18.

Entry number         Member                                    Dates (2020)

1.                            Timbo                                       10th Feb

8.                            TomSE12                                 14th Feb

10.                          Steve Murr                               14th Feb

11.                          Septic peg (Guest)                    15th Feb

2.                            Lottiekent                                  16th Feb

9.                            Team squirrel                            18th Feb   

3.                             Stainesbloke                            19th Feb

13.                           snowray                                    22nd Feb

17.                           Bluebell                                     22nd Feb

18.                           snow Queen one                       24th Feb

14.                           SenlacJack                                26th Feb

5.                             Donna thw                                 27th Feb

4.                             pinball wizard                            29th Feb

16.                            lassie23                                    29th Feb

7.                              Snowrye                                   1st March

6.                              Froze were the days                 9th March

12.                            claret 047                                  23rd March

15.                            General Cluster                        29th November

Good mix of dates there, most are going for mid to late February and into early March. If I have missed anyone or a date is wrong please let me know. 

Down to you Tom to calculate some odds now.

Thanks everyone for taking part, hope we can have some fun whatever happens with the weather.

Good luck.

snowray

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes!

Aw I missed the deadline

Oh well, Good luck everybody! Really hope one (or several!) are correct, this gloom is making me depressed!

• Like 1

Posted
18 minutes ago, Darkcloud said:

Aw I missed the deadline

Oh well, Good luck everybody! Really hope one (or several!) are correct, this gloom is making me depressed!

You can still do a late entry just for fun if you want? I'll add late entries to the list later on.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, snowray said:

Ok, so here is the list of the 18 members who are participating in the competition in date order, a nice manageable number 18.

Entry number         Member                                    Dates (2020)

1.                            Timbo                                       10th Feb

8.                            TomSE12                                 14th Feb

10.                          Steve Murr                               14th Feb

11.                          Septic peg (Guest)                    15th Feb

2.                            Lottiekent                                  16th Feb

9.                            Team squirrel                            18th Feb   

3.                             Stainesbloke                            19th Feb

13.                           snowray                                    22nd Feb

17.                           Bluebell                                     22nd Feb

18.                           snow Queen one                       24th Feb

14.                           SenlacJack                                26th Feb

5.                             Donna thw                                 27th Feb

4.                             pinball wizard                            29th Feb

16.                            lassie23                                    29th Feb

7.                              Snowrye                                   1st March

6.                              Froze were the days                 9th March

12.                            claret 047                                  23rd March

15.                            General Cluster                        29th November

Good mix of dates there, most are going for mid to late February and into early March. If I have missed anyone or a date is wrong please let me know. 

Down to you Tom to calculate some odds now.

Thanks everyone for taking part, hope we can have some fun whatever happens with the weather.

Good luck.

snowray

Hi Snowray, what happens if none of us get the date correct, is the winner the nearest date ?

Posted
Just now, Timbo said:

Hi Snowray, what happens if none of us get the date correct, is the winner the nearest date ?

Yes nearest, but up to a maximum of 2 days either side of the date chosen, I had considered just 1 day but 2 days seems fair enough. Your actually in a good position there.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

I'm going to get my garden ready just in case any of you are correct, although it's a bit late or early to prepare for general clusters prediction.

• Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

I'm going to get my garden ready just in case any of you are correct, although it's a bit late or early to prepare for general clusters prediction.

Not quite Uxbridge yet, but getting closer.

iconeu_uk1-42-105-0.png

• Like 2