Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion Sept 2019 onwards

Blessed Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather
2 hours ago, lottiekent said:

I’ll go for 16th February. 

My son always wants a snowy birthday (4th Feb) but can’t see that happening this year..

Thought you might enter Lottie, as you were the first winner, of my S.E. Snow Depth Cup.

If memory serves (which it doesn't very well, after a Stroke of 4 and a bit Years ago), SnowBob also won?

Mind you, he was leaving "Brown Envelopes" for me, at Addington Village Tram Stop, which I would pick up on the way to my job, in Croydon. Can't believe he still won though, as the envelopes were empty.:cc_confused:

Didn't he dead-heat with you, Lottie?

Snowray, do you realise what you've taken on? I had sheets of A4 paper, all over my Lounge floor. I had somewhere in the Region of 50 Entrants, split into 2 Regions. North Thames and South Thames, I believe.

For the final couple of Years of the Competition, there was no Snow, and it got the reputation of "jinxing" our Snow chances.

It was an awful lot of work and possibly one of the reasons, why my Brain literally "blew up", a few Years later. :shok:

I had a long telephone conversation with S.E. Meteorologist Ian Currie at Lunchtime, and he didn't seem that enthusiastic about our Snow chances, for the last official Winter Month.

I'd like to enter your Competition Snowray but think I'll wait until I've viewed the 00z Model runs

Having spoken to the "Horse's Mouth", so to speak, we may well be in for a long wait!! :oldangry:

In a short while, I will Post up more details of my conversation with Ian Currie.

Regards,

Tom.  :hi:

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
7 hours ago, snowray said:

Hey anyone fancy a competition?

When will it snow next and settle in our SE region? Even a dusting counts but not sleet or hail, must be snow.

1st prize for who gets closest wins a pack of 4 Cadbury flake chocolate bars, offered by me.

Entrants have until 12 noon tomorrow the 23rd of Jan to submit a date.

Good luck everyone.:oldgood:

No settling snow throughout February...at best the odd wet flake/sleet passing in the wind.

Edited by Froze were the Days
  • Like 1

Posted
56 minutes ago, TomSE12 said:

Thought you might enter Lottie, as you were the first winner, of my S.E. Snow Depth Cup.

If memory serves (which it doesn't very well, after a Stroke of 4 and a bit Years ago), SnowBob also won?

Mind you, he was leaving "Brown Envelopes" for me, at Addington Village Tram Stop, which I would pick up on the way to my job, in Croydon. Can't believe he still won though, as the envelopes were empty.:cc_confused:

Snowray, do you realise what you've taken on? I had sheets of A4 paper, all over my Lounge floor. I had somewhere in the Region of 50 Entrants, split into 2 Regions. North Thames and South Thames, I believe.

For the final couple of Years of the Competition, there was no Snow, and it got the reputation of "jinxing" our Snow chances.

It was an awful lot of work and possibly one of the reasons, why my Brain literally "blew up", a few Years later. :shok:

I had a long telephone conversation with S.E. Meteorologist Ian Currie at Lunchtime, and he didn't seem that enthusiastic about our Snow chances, for the last official Winter Month.

I'd like to enter your Competition Snowray but think I'll wait until I've viewed the 00z Model runs

Having spoken to the "Horse's Mouth", so to speak, we may well be in for a long wait!! :oldangry:

In a short while, I will Post up more details of my conversation with Ian Currie.

Regards,

I did Tom! Can’t remember the year though it may have been early 2012?

• Like 1

Posted

As I stated in the previous Post, I had a long conversation with Ian Currie around Lunchtime, Today.

He certainly didn't seem that enthusiastic about our Snow chances, for the remainder of this poor excuse for a Winter!!.

One of the reasons I phoned Mr.Currie was to make enquiries about getting hold of one of Ian's County Weather Books, for a NW Member from outside our Region.

Ian came up with an amazing offer, which is also available to S.E.Members.

Hopefully, it's ok with Malcolm and the Mods, I'd like to go through that offer now.

I'd like to ascertain, there is no financial reward in this for myself. I regard Mr.Currie as a good friend now and he is always very accommodating with his time and his views. I also happen to believe that his County Weather Books, are an absolute must read for Weather enthusiasts, who enjoy reading about notable Weather events, that have taken place in their "Home County."

It was "stumbling" across Ian's Kent Weather Book (Co-written with Bob Ogley and Mark Davison) in W.H.Smith's, in my home Town of Bromley, Kent, that took my interest in Meteorology to another level.

His description of the onset of Snow on Boxing Day 1962, with an accompanying photo, of a snow covered Road in Banstead, Surrey (Posted this Photo on the Winter 1962/63 Thread (Historic Weather Forum)) on Monday Evening, really captured my imagination.

image.png.3c480ec13801f95062b7a02561a362e7.png 

Ian has been been an official Met.Office observer, for over 40 Years. For the great majority of that time, at his old property in Old Coulsdon and for the last couple of Years, at Storrington, West Sussex.

Although the County Weather Book Series is now out of Print, Mr.Currie still has some Copies of the following:

image.thumb.png.598e7b30322a6863b4e82990a6eeca33.png  image.thumb.png.6c2c85d6afc78487355b684dbeffdb21.png image.thumb.png.f163f5d1f06c3fd294bf52e5d0b26c80.png

He also has some Copies of the Following Books:

image.thumb.png.a3a4a7afd20e2bc6dfcea0da11633ed6.png

An absolute must read, for those who love their Winters, Cold and Wintry. His Thames Frost Fairs Talk, is based on this Book. I have seen Ian perform this Talk, four times!!

He also has some Copies of the Books below:

image.thumb.png.c5acf55f8ce6c8400e191f5c98c5bc8f.png image.thumb.png.87de71912f92d8f320a6ace5ba707f71.png

Ian said although he doesn't have anymore Copies of the Surrey and Sussex County Weather Books, he still may be able to get hold of a copy or two.

He said he would put together a Package of one of those County Weather Books and Frosts, Freezes and Fairs. Both personally signed, if you so wish.

Ian would also put in the Package a copy of his Quarterly Magazine, "Weather Eye":

image.png.33db85e97af4218c0b2743f5e355e39d.pngFor all this, Ian is charging a crazily low amount of £13 (which includes Postage and Packing).

If you'd like one of those County Weather Books plus one on the October 1987 Storm, I'll ask Mr.Currie for a quote but I would expect it to be around £13 - £15, though. 

This really is an incredible offer, which Ian has kindly put together for S.E. Regional Members and probably less than half of the true value, of the 2 Books plus "Weather Eye".

If you are interested in this incredible offer, please drop me a PM and I'll put you in touch with Mr.Currie.

"You've seen the Photos, now read the accompanying Text."

Regards,

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
1 hour ago, TomSE12 said:

Regards,

Hi Tom. Well its been so boring model watching this winter that I thought it would be a bit of fun, got time on my hands at the moment anyway. There's still all of February, March, April and even May that can produce the goods, not that I personally want snow and cold in spring but with the weather being all over the place right now around the world, well who knows, might snow in June this year. In fact I remember sleet being recorded on the Chilterns about 20 years ago in June, might have been 2001.

I'll post a list of the entrants tomorrow after the 12.00 deadline. 

Edited by snowray
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
49 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

No settling snow throughout February...at best the odd wet flake/sleet passing in the wind.

If there's no snow that settles then we all lose...You can pick any other month this year too, up to June.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, stainesbloke said:

February 19th

35 minutes ago, pinball wizard said:

29th February 

Excellent..You are entries 3 and 4.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, DonnaThw said:

Can I be a late entrant???

Your not late, you have until until 12.00 tomorrow.:oldgrin:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow (but who doesnt like that)

Oh sorry thought it was today. I will go with the 27th Feb 

• Like 1

Posted

Just a Postscript to my conversation with Ian Currie.

When I phoned him, he was halfway through writing a piece for the Royal Meteorological Society, for some 50 Year Celebration Event. They wanted a piece on a unique Weather Event that occured in the past 50 Years.

Ian has chosen the unusual, settling snowfall of late October, 2008, in Southern England. Can vaguely remember it here in Lee, S.E.London.

Ian said it was more noticeable in West London. 

Regards,

Tom.   :hi:

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, TomSE12 said:

Just a Postscript to my conversation with Ian Currie.

When I phoned him, he was halfway through writing a piece for the Royal Meteorological Society, for some 50 Year Celebration Event. They wanted a piece on a unique Weather Event that occured in the past 50 Years.

Ian has chosen the unusual, settling snowfall of late October, 2008, in Southern England. Can vaguely remember it here in Lee, S.E.London.

Ian said it was more noticeable in West London. 

Regards,

Tom.   :hi:

Yes I remember it well Tom, just heavy sleet here but parts North London got several inches of snow, quite remarkable.

5 minutes ago, DonnaThw said:

Oh sorry thought it was today. I will go with the 27th Feb 

Nice one, your entry number 5. Good luck.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
1 hour ago, snowray said:

If there's no snow that settles then we all lose...You can pick any other month this year too, up to June.

9th March...

• Like 1

Posted
48 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

9th March...

Cool, your entry no 6.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

Im relying on the much talked about ssw, so im going to say, 1st march, do I have to give the year as well

• Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, snowrye said:

Im relying on the much talked about ssw, so im going to say, 1st march, do I have to give the year as well

No that's fine, your in, entry number 7. That's my lucky number.

• Like 1

Posted
5 hours ago, senior ridge said:

Regarding 2008, snow settled here in early April and late October.

Hi s.r. and Morning all,

Yes, Ian Currie remarked on the Year of 2008.

In all his 40+ Years of supplying data to the Met.Office, that was the "shortest" gap between a settling Snow event, for any one Year.

He has an incredible memory, regarding notable Weather events, which soon becomes apparent if you read one of his County Weather Books, or indeed engage in a conversation about a notable Weather event.

He made me laugh, Yesterday.

I started our conversation, by asking Ian if he had a few minutes to spare. He replied, "Not really, I'm in the middle of writing an article for the Royal Meteorological Society," He suggested I call back later on in the Evening.

He then spoke for about 45 minutes, on the subject of the 1962/63 Winter and that amazing offer, regarding his Books and a copy of one of his Quarterly Magazines. Typical Ian, he could "talk for England", when it comes to the Weather!! :oldsmile:

He really is a lovely Guy and so affable and accommodating with his time.

Ian is 70 now and up to a couple of Months ago, was conducting around 4 Talks a Week but he's now down to 1 a Week, as it was getting too tiring for him. His latest Talk was over at Ripley, near Guildford, on Tuesday Evening.

He reminds me of a quirky, absent minded, Professor. As well as being a Met.Office observer and writing a series of Weather Books, in a parallel life, he was a Geography Master at a School in Caterham. Below is a "grab" of an image of Ian standing next to a Snowdrift outside that Caterham School, during that epic Wintry spell, of Jan 987. Apologies, for the poor quality of the Photo:

image.thumb.png.a543189ca78765fbe63aa7964fdc2fcd.png

I've seen quite a number of his Weather Talks.

Below is a YouTube clip of Ian performing his Thames Frost Fairs Talk:

I've seen this Talk, four times but would quite happily see it again. Ian has a very entertaining style of speaking.

The last time I saw this, was in November with my Wife.

He also appeared on a Radio 4 Programme, in which he wrote an article about Thames Frost Fairs.

He still has a Weather "slot" on BBC Radio Surrey's Gardening programme, "Dig It".

Right off to view the "Form Book" (the 00z Model Runs), to try and glean if we're likely to enter a potential Wintry spell in the coming Weeks, for my Competition entry.

Regards,

Tom.   :hi: 

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 6

Posted

Having viewed the Current Form Book (00z Model Runs), there's nothing remotely Wintry showing up there.

I've decided to consult an Ancient Form Book, that of Scottish Meteorologist Alexander Buchan.

Buchan Spells

Buchan spells are either cold or warm spells that the 19th century Scottish meteorologist Alexander Buchan claimed happened at roughly the same times each year.

Through statistical analysis, Buchan claimed to have discerned patterns in the Scottish weather that repeated about the same time of the year. He theorized that these were predictable interruptions (either warmer or colder) in the smooth annual transition of temperatures between the seasons. They are now believed by meteorologists to be random events.

Buchan cold spells:

7-14 February

11-14 April

9-14 May

29 June - 4 July

6-11 August

6-13 November

So, I'm going for a Snowy, Romantic and Snuggly Valentine's Day (14th Feb). Which falls right at the end of Buchan's February Cold spell. It also happens to be a Day before my Wedding Anniversary. We tried to book Valentine's Day but the Registry Office were fully booked for Valentine's Day. 

What makes you think I'm taking this seriously??

But my Selection, is a complete "stab in the dark" and just a bit of fun.

It's so nice to be entering someone else's Competition, after all those I've "hosted", in the Lounge Forum.

Lately, I've been suffering from C.F.S.!! :shok: (Competition Fatigue Syndrome).

Snowray, any chance I could invite my Wife Colette, as a guest into the Competition? She's not a NW Member but has an uncanny habit of predicting future events, and being correct. So much so, I refer to her as "Septic Peg." :oldgrin:

Below, myself and "Septic", getting hitched. The Photo was taken outside Sidcup Registry Office. We're flanked by my younger Sister (who was Colette's School Friend), and my Brother-in-Law. I know it's been said before, that I look like her Father, giving her away. My excuse, I am 10 Years older, than Colette. If you squint you may be able to make out some very fine Snow Grains, falling. How cool is that? Snow on your Wedding Day and Nature's own Confetti, although Colette had enough in her hair. Poor thing was shivering, in her thin Wedding Dress and tiny shawl!!

image.thumb.png.dec52a00e85b9f0486f0ebf31be803fe.png

Regards,

• Like 5

Posted
1 hour ago, TomSE12 said:

Having viewed the Current Form Book (00z Model Runs), there's nothing remotely Wintry showing up there.

I've decided to consult an Ancient Form Book, that of Scottish Meteorologist Alexander Buchan.

Buchan Spells

Buchan spells are either cold or warm spells that the 19th century Scottish meteorologist Alexander Buchan claimed happened at roughly the same times each year.

Through statistical analysis, Buchan claimed to have discerned patterns in the Scottish weather that repeated about the same time of the year. He theorized that these were predictable interruptions (either warmer or colder) in the smooth annual transition of temperatures between the seasons. They are now believed by meteorologists to be random events.

Buchan cold spells:

7-14 February

11-14 April

9-14 May

29 June - 4 July

6-11 August

6-13 November

So, I'm going for a Snowy, Romantic and Snuggly Valentine's Day (14th Feb). Which falls right at the end of Buchan's February Cold spell. It also happens to be a Day before my Wedding Anniversary. We tried to book Valentine's Day but the Registry Office were fully booked for Valentine's Day. 

What makes you think I'm taking this seriously??

But my Selection, is a complete "stab in the dark" and just a bit of fun.

It's so nice to be entering someone else's Competition, after all those I've "hosted", in the Lounge Forum.

Lately, I've been suffering from C.F.S.!! :shok: (Competition Fatigue Syndrome).

Snowray, any chance I could invite my Wife Colette, as a guest into the Competition? She's not a NW Member but has an uncanny habit of predicting future events, and being correct. So much so, I refer to her as "Septic Peg." :oldgrin:

Below, myself and "Septic", getting hitched. The Photo was taken outside Sidcup Registry Office. We're flanked by my younger Sister (who was Colette's School Friend), and my Brother-in-Law. I know it's been said before, that I look like her Father, giving her away. My excuse, I am 10 Years older, than Colette. If you squint you may be able to make out some very fine Snow Grains, falling. How cool is that? Snow on your Wedding Day and Nature's own Confetti, although Colette had enough in her hair. Poor thing was shivering, in her thin Wedding Dress and tiny shawl!!

image.thumb.png.dec52a00e85b9f0486f0ebf31be803fe.png

Regards,

Hi Tom. Your entered for 14th of Feb, good luck. Yes she can enter as a guest why not, what date is Septic Peg going for?

• Like 1

Posted
16 minutes ago, Team Squirrel said:

I'll go for the 18th Feb!

Is there a prize?

Yes there's a prize, your entered.

• Like 2

Posted

Chance of something white in our region on the 29th of Jan I see on the 00z runs.

150-574UK.gif

gem-2-144.png

• Like 1