Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion Sept 2019 onwards

Blessed Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow
1 hour ago, snowray said:

Not sure what these are for, any ideas?

20200109_125836.thumb.jpg.ee7c09bdc70f03bff8220152c7993fde.jpg20200109_125846.thumb.jpg.9d8d04cee36b1219da8fe2938fc7af2e.jpg

20200109_125855.thumb.jpg.7c42bfd8d850b98875c72a10e99c9c9f.jpg

Erith Pier was originally a wooden structure built for leisure purposes, subsequently with a pleasure gardens and hotel at its shoreline end. Ferries used to go to Gravesend and pleasure (alcohol) cruises were very popular for City gents.

When Londons sewage problems and industrial spread put paid to leisure, the pier was rebuilt more substantially and used for deep water unloading , hence the strange shape...ships could moor easily and unload. 

There were two sets of tracks for goods unloading carriages, hence the stoppers at the end, and a small turntable for the shunter locomotive....now picked out in brick.

erith-deep-working.jpg

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

Chucking it down here.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
48 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Erith Pier was originally a wooden structure built for leisure purposes, subsequently with a pleasure gardens and hotel at its shoreline end. Ferries used to go to Gravesend and pleasure (alcohol) cruises were very popular for City gents.

When Londons sewage problems and industrial spread put paid to leisure, the pier was rebuilt more substantially and used for deep water unloading , hence the strange shape...ships could moor easily and unload. 

There were two sets of tracks for goods unloading carriages, hence the stoppers at the end, and a small turntable for the shunter locomotive....now picked out in brick.

erith-deep-working.jpg

Well done matty, thanks for that. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather

A day of two halves, sunny in the morning but by the afternoon it became very wet and very mild.  The top temperature was just over 13 Celsius.  The humidity and the rain is really affecting sinuses and joints badly.  Hopefully the promised cold weather will come to fruition.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow (but who doesnt like that)

This weather is so dull. I just watched the rain beat down the windows all day at work It just annoys me  sorry sound very grumpy, I know that our weather can change fast but I have a feeling that we won’t see any really cold patches and definitely no snow. I would be happy to have cold beautiful mornings even if we didn’t get snow or even a nice patch of sun. I have noticed how light the evenings are getting, I used to pick my younger ones up from school after work and it was dark but it’s slightly lighter now, thank goodness 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

Chucking it down again here, just got in before it started. Heavy showers on a NEly and it's raining.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather

I have just seen my first bumble bee of the year who flying over the hedge in my front garden. The temperature at 11:52 am is 8.7 Celsius and the humidity is 64%.  The sky is overcast and the barometric has been rising and it is at 1022.9.

• Like 1

Posted

The sun has finally made an appearance in South Ockendon at 13: 48.  The clouds have dissipated and now there is a 75% clear sky which is a big difference from what it was 20 minutes ago.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunder
On 09/01/2020 at 18:46, snowray said:

Well done matty, thanks for that. 

A great set of photos, and I have to say, as an historian, I spent some time looking into the history of the Erith pier of the back of these.... it has a very interesting history... Would be great to see what @TomSE12 has to say about these photos.... I’m sure that he’d have a great winter story  to add to them....

• Like 2

Posted
11 hours ago, John Stevens said:

A great set of photos, and I have to say, as an historian, I spent some time looking into the history of the Erith pier of the back of these.... it has a very interesting history... Would be great to see what @TomSE12 has to say about these photos.... I’m sure that he’d have a great winter story  to add to them....

Found a couple of pics that might be of interest.

Snow on Erith Pier.

6834898127_323ddf2219_b.thumb.jpg.dd7a68fa9eb76c0e55252eb791298f0e.jpg

These are pictures of the Thames frozen over at Erith back in 1895, in the day's when we had proper winters.

PCD_573-1024x658.thumb.jpg.68c46bd48441d892f37f5f42f7f71e0f.jpgPCD_572-1024x650.thumb.jpg.61248bba621e2954d172441e29cab328.jpg

Edited by snowray
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
1 hour ago, snowray said:

Snow on Erith Pier.

These are pictures of the Thames frozen over at Erith back in 1895, in the day's when we had proper winters.

PCD_573-1024x658.thumb.jpg.68c46bd48441d892f37f5f42f7f71e0f.jpgPCD_572-1024x650.thumb.jpg.61248bba621e2954d172441e29cab328.jpg

I still only managed sleet that year

• Like 2

Posted

The time is 14:14 and the the temperature is 10.6°C, the humidity is 73% and the barometric pressure has fallen to 10203. The sky is filled with nimbostratus clouds.

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, lassie23 said:

I still only managed sleet that year

Goes to show what an old dog Lassie is

• Like 1

Posted

According to my outside thermometer that inside the outdoor garden porch, it has the temperature 9.5°C which is different temperature from my automated weather station which says it is 10.7°C. I wonder which is the right temperature.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Those in the mod thread are once again saying the trend is our friend. Lets hope it's friendlier than the last friend trend in mid November

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunder
13 hours ago, snowray said:

Snow on Erith Pier.

They are great, thank you! 

• Like 2

Not liking the look of the latest GFS run for Tuesday.. Usually when a low like this is picked up last week it gets downgraded into a fart.. But so far its maintained strength on all models.

Even tomorrow we may see a brief episode of 50mph possibly 60mph on the coast from storm Brendan as what looks like a suall line moves through 

But the real risk is Tuesday and the GFS 12Z brings 60mph gusts from mid afternoon right till midnight a soild 6-7 hours of damaging wind gusts..

Just down the road from me yesterday a tree got blown over in 37mph gusts I assume it was weak and the saturated ground doesn't help.. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm spring days and summer thunderstorms

It has been like Spring here today in Eastdene. Sunshine, blue skies and temps reaching 11C. thats 52F. Brillant for the end of winter. If this is climate change, bring it on and more. And the evenings are getting lighter so quick. Sunset today 4.14. Still twilight at ten to five. Brillant. Must be good news for those struggling to eat there homes. And for all the homeless. Lets spare a thought for them.

• Like 1

Posted

its looking  very nasty   to say the least on   monday tuesday for our part of the world

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Thunderstorms, Wind

So far this year in the South East the wind has not been bad. Only notable episode I can remember is another low in early November. It was similar to Tuesday, a smaller low on the Southern flank of the main low to the North. It brought over 100mph winds to the needles battery, I think it was the second highest ever recorded there, but that was only an hour of strong winds, this will be longer.

image.thumb.png.885ffa9c15b609a2ff907d48aecca9e9.png While not the same, it is a similar scenario.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.

I spent a very pleasant couple of hours down on the seafront here in St Leonards enjoying the sunshine and there were plenty of folk out and about doing the same. The calm before the incoming storm(s) ?

Given the forecasts I just had to dig out one of my favourite old tunes from way back when. The predicted 'Pressure Drop' is really quite something if it pans out.

Edited by SenlacJack
  • Like 2

Posted

I'm in a reflective mood this evening so been searching back through some of my old weather related photo's and videos, this is one I posted on YouTube.

I filmed it on the seafront in Hastings on July 18th 2014 and in all my years this was the most spectacular storm I have ever witnessed here in the UK. In the title I called it a supercell but later learned it was apparently an MCS but quite amazing all the same.

This was filmed at around 8pm a full hour before sunset and daylight turned tonight within minutes. I'll try and find the the footage of the storm as it came across the Channel, a classic plume event.

Edited by SenlacJack
Just added some video
  • Like 5

Posted

Having a mare trying to post at the moment so please accept my apologies. Further to my earlier post this is the video I took of the storm as it crossed the Channel, July 18th 2014.

• Like 7