Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion Sept 2019 onwards

Blessed Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Nearly 40mm of rain here in the last 6 days and it's still falling...and a number of those not a glimpse of the sun, real depressing stuff.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!
19 minutes ago, Reefseeker said:

On my way home from Cyprus to Surbiton. We've had spectacular thunderstorms with torrential rain, to 8 degrees and clear at the top of Troodos to 23 degrees at the beach in Limassol this morning. Kitchen sink weather for sure. I'm gathering it's yet more rain for the south east☔

IMG_20191216_141942.jpg

IMG_20191216_113936.jpg

You know I'd rather have 8C and torrential rain and be in Cyprus than here.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun

Another soaking wet day. Rained most of daylight hours. 

In 4 weeks I’ll be in Montreal thank god. My snow and cold yearly fix. A city that has proper seasons.  

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm spring days and summer thunderstorms

Steady drizzle here now, another frost free night. It seems very mild at North pole Santa clause village, just looked at the live stream on you tube its only -1c. Thats crazy.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

Anyone remember the brown lawns and wilting trees of last summer? That seems a long time ago now as the rain just keeps coming. Lots more between now and the weekend for our patch, especially the SE corner and along the South Coast, as shown by the model forecasts of cumulative rainfall between today and Sunday. The Met Office have a yellow warning for rain covering southern counties on Friday and Saturday (and fog tonight).

ICON 1745936455_ICONcumrainfall17Decto22Dec.thumb.png.f0cfe8670c1857ebc4c99df52e5c2d18.png GFS 798215632_GFScumrainfall17Decto22Dec.thumb.GIF.3268401f5e72cbf92c1c3ad1813cc1e7.GIF

Weather warning: 1251966361_MetOffweatherwarning20Dec.thumb.jpg.fb4038b1e58524223678ca76f58024fe.jpg

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather

I live in Thurrock and when the weather forecast said that there will be fog, all I got was an overcast sky and no sign of any fog. I do not think there will be fog because the sky is overcast and shows no sign of clearing up to make fog possible.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Blessed Weather said:

Anyone remember the brown lawns and wilting trees of last summer? That seems a long time ago now as the rain just keeps coming. Lots more between now and the weekend for our patch, especially the SE corner and along the South Coast, as shown by the model forecasts of cumulative rainfall between today and Sunday. The Met Office have a yellow warning for rain covering southern counties on Friday and Saturday (and fog tonight).

ICON 1745936455_ICONcumrainfall17Decto22Dec.thumb.png.f0cfe8670c1857ebc4c99df52e5c2d18.png GFS 798215632_GFScumrainfall17Decto22Dec.thumb.GIF.3268401f5e72cbf92c1c3ad1813cc1e7.GIF

Weather warning: 1251966361_MetOffweatherwarning20Dec.thumb.jpg.fb4038b1e58524223678ca76f58024fe.jpg

Hopefully this will prevent folk screaming for rain, because it hasn’t rained in 14 days during a summer month in 2020. 

Doubt it though. 

• Like 2

Posted

You sound just like the fella on the moans thread that I've replied to...a tad over exaggerated as well. Summer 2019 was drier than normal across southern and south eastern parts even with the wet June and particularly dry through late July and August in the south east and East Anglia. I don't think we've had a wet Autumnal period including December like this for some time, correct me if I'm wrong (though November was near normal).

Edited by Froze were the Days
  • Like 5

Posted

That’s what I mean, hopefully this wet Autumn/so far winter will prevent the irrational fear of no rain next year in a summer month.

Not over exaggerated either, I can guarantee this wet spell will be a distant memory come next summer if we have a dry spell. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

Just heard a rumble of thunder!!

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, Ben Lewis said:

Not over exaggerated either, I can guarantee this wet spell will be a distant memory come next summer if we have a dry spell. 

But will we have a wet period over 3 months or so like this next Autumn/early Winter?...bets are we will again have a drier than average Summer particularly where we live unless we get some convective stuff and torrential rainfall over a small amount of days as I don't see it coming from frontal stuff.

Edited by Froze were the Days

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

Surprise few flashes of lightning in the channel 

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

But will we have a wet period over 3 months or so like this next Autumn/early Winter?...bets are we will again have a drier than average Summer particularly where we live unless we get some convective stuff and torrential rainfall over a small amount of days as I don't see it coming from frontal stuff.

That’s the burning question I guess. 

The fear of brown grass and dry ground in summer 2019 was never required as we are well watered in now. If another dry spell occurs in 2020 will the fear of brown grass and dry ground be required? Who knows.... But the fear will happen nevertheless 

The beauty of British weather, rollacoaster that finishes where it begun. 

Posted
1 hour ago, Hurricane Debby said:

Bloody hell. South East weather news has issued a yellow warning alert for heavy rain from Wednesday to Saturday ?

as  if  we need  more!!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow (but who doesnt like that)

Ou my god this rain. When will it ever end???? I’m shocked to see a weather warning for the SE that will continue for three days. We have a canal near us (military canal) and the canal is big, the banks are extremely high, I have been watching the water steadily creep up the sides and on the way home it had almost burst it’s banks. I have lived around this area most of my life and I’ve never seen that happen before.  There are several small houses that run along side it and I just keep thinking about them. I’m also concerned about getting to work because there are big rivers either route that I take that are ready to burst. All the fields are draining on to the roads because they just can’t take anymore. All the man holes are  pushing water out at the tops because they are full. It’s so grey and dark all the time it’s ridiculous. Sorry everyone I’ve just got on my soapbox. 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados
10 minutes ago, DonnaThw said:

Ou my god this rain. When will it ever end???? I’m shocked to see a weather warning for the SE that will continue for three days. We have a canal near us (military canal) and the canal is big, the banks are extremely high, I have been watching the water steadily creep up the sides and on the way home it had almost burst it’s banks. I have lived around this area most of my life and I’ve never seen that happen before.  There are several small houses that run along side it and I just keep thinking about them. I’m also concerned about getting to work because there are big rivers either route that I take that are ready to burst. All the fields are draining on to the roads because they just can’t take anymore. All the man holes are  pushing water out at the tops because they are full. It’s so grey and dark all the time it’s ridiculous. Sorry everyone I’ve just got on my soapbox. 

Went past the rother earlier in different locations, its gone over on the wittersham levels, very very high at newenden at 5pm

Posted
5 hours ago, Lauren said:

You know I'd rather have 8C and torrential rain and be in Cyprus than here.

Yep Lauren, I agree! The storms are completely uncompromising full of lightning, loud thunder and flash flooding but they can be over in hours. And 8 degrees in the mountains can mean over 20 at the beach! Just landed through fog at Heathrow which is making for a very atmospheric drive home. 

Posted

This incessant rain and dull period is seriously starting to get me down, but mounting evidence of a ridge edging in by Christmas this ridge likely to bring lighter winds & frostier weather, possibility of much colder conditions if the ridge gains sufficient latitude, perhaps it may with MJO 6-7 support. A change is stirring.

• Like 2

Posted

Woah! Just had rain that at least hit Torrential for a second (38-60mm/h) on my scale! So strange considering radar looks so harmless...

Edited by LightningLover

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

A frost on the cars at Heathrow this morning, but surprisingly, no fog. It was trying to form yesterday evening but there’s no sign of it now. 

Posted

Looks like a dry day ahead, some sunshine too. Currently 4c.

We are in for some seriously prolonged deluged of rain from this evening till at least Saturday. Windy too at times. Could be heading for one of our wetter Decembers in this region. 

It's certainly lively anyway.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

I didn't want a wet mild Christmas period. All that snow potential wasted. Now I expect the rest of the winter will be dry and cold and I won't see a flurry.

Edited by Dami

Posted
2 hours ago, Dami said:

I didn't want a wet mild Christmas period. All that snow potential wasted. Now I expect the rest of the winter will be dry and cold and I won't see a flurry.

Plenty of time yet for cold snowy weather. Only 2 weeks into winter. 

The cold and snow will come, eventually.

Posted

Wow, the Bulverhythe River is high...