IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion Sept 2019 onwards

Blessed Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold

Rain has got more intense and the wind still is strong yet still not name 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Well that was a bit of a non event, wind easing already. Strongest of winds must of been along the south coast/south west, if I had to estimate I would say here (and I live near the Essex coast) gusted no more than 40 mph.

Edited by Froze were the Days

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes!
3 hours ago, Convergence said:

Very windy here in E Sussex, tried to drive to Heathfield but road blocked by huge Oak tree across the road just past Blackboys. Decided to head home and do some work there. Definitely not a good time to be driving.

Yep me too. Road completely flooded at the Little london turn off too!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold
25 minutes ago, Wynter said:

Judging by the lack of posts in this thread I'm guessing it was a non  event for most bar the SW and South Coast.

Meanwhile in the far southeast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
1 hour ago, Wynter said:

Judging by the lack of posts in this thread I'm guessing it was a non  event for most bar the SW and South Coast.

I live right on the coast and I can say I haven’t seen anything like that in over 5 years, for here beats all previous named storms, couldn’t  even walk forwards on the seafront... yellow warning wasn’t enough for here

• Like 1

Posted

could  be some very  damp fire works  displays  later if the radar right!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather

Another non-event for Thurrock, as the wind got calmer since 1pm. The barometer has slightly raised and is at 975.4 hpa.

Posted

worse than any of the named storms from the Met office for this part of the world.Numerous trees  down and power cuts here.

Edited by SLEETY
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.
1 hour ago, Freeze said:

I live right on the coast and I can say I haven’t seen anything like that in over 5 years, for here beats all previous named storms, couldn’t  even walk forwards on the seafront... yellow warning wasn’t enough for here

Worthing was certainly amongst the hardest hit in our region with a peak gust of 81mph and mean wind speeds at or close to 60mph for around 4 hours.

The highest official report I can see so far was for The Needles at 109mph. ( Not sure of source but it has been confirmed as an official figure on another website ).

From the tip of Cornwall right into East Sussex and Kent winds along the South Coast have gusted 60-90mph  and have done for several hours. Rock-a-Nore in Hastings was a bit lively this afternoon and the high tide shortly after 2pm coincided with some of the strongest winds and heaviest rainfall here.

Quite a storm, and like others I'm a bit surprised it wasn't named and that an amber warning wasn't issued for coastal areas at least.

• Like 3

Posted
5 hours ago, Freeze said:

Trying to post some photo's and video I took of the 'storm which wasn't named' here in Hastings today but not having any success with that and for some reason I can't shift the quote from Freeze when posting ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
10 minutes ago, SenlacJack said:

Trying to post some photo's and video I took of the 'storm which wasn't named' here in Hastings today but not having any success with that and for some reason I can't shift the quote from Freeze when posting ?

I unfortunately didn’t take any videos, this has happened to me once, I signed out and back in again and the quote thing had gone away.. ?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme.....

Wow what a day ! I still can't believe this storm wasn't named. I work at Ravenside Retail Park in Bexhill and just as my shift was due to start at 3pm, they had to close and evacuate the park and shut down all the stores because one or some of the stores roofs were close to flying off ! The fire brigade were there and it was absolute chaos.

I thought it was supposed to quiten down around 5pm but we just had one hell of a downpour here and the winds picked up again. Loving it. Especially as my shift was cut short 

• Like 4

Posted
5 minutes ago, Hurricane Debby said:

Wow what a day ! I still can't believe this storm wasn't named. I work at Ravenside Retail Park in Bexhill and just as my shift was due to start at 3pm, they had to close and evacuate the park and shut down all the stores because one or some of the stores roofs were close to flying off ! The fire brigade were there and it was absolute chaos.

I thought it was supposed to quiten down around 5pm but we just had one hell of a downpour here and the winds picked up again. Loving it. Especially as my shift was cut short 

It must have been quite extreme for them to shut down Ravenside but having spent a couple of hours at Rock-a-Nore this afternoon I can well believe it. Iv'e been a regular vistor to the Hastings area for about 10 years and moved down here 5 years ago.

I've seen a few storms here in that time but today was right up there with some of the most noteable storms. Enjoy your bevvy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes
8 hours ago, DonnaThw said:

It’s awful here I thought it might of started to calm down but if anything it has intensified which is a shock. It’s so windy and pelting it down with heavy rain. Any recorded gusts on the south coast yet?? I can not understand why this hasn’t been named. It’s some of the roughest weather I’ve seen in a long while. 

Taken from the web ... source unknown. But if verified, some very impressive readings from this morning indeed 

Max gusts from un-named storm 03.11.19.jpg

Edited by Fitzwis
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers and cold snowy winters

Definitely the worst storm of the year for us in Tunbridge Wells - why were no warnings given? We had water cascading down an internal wall for three hours..... incredibly intense bursts of rain combined with very strong wind. I would have found it spectacular had I not been attempting to mop up!

• Like 2

Posted

Was in Ashford today and possibly worst storm I’ve seen in many years. 3/4 hours of torrential rain and really strong winds. Some extremes at times. And a whole day of really nasty weather. Quite remarkable 

Edited by CanadianCoops
  • Like 1

Posted
15 minutes ago, kate1 said:

Definitely the worst storm of the year for us in Tunbridge Wells - why were no warnings given? We had water cascading down an internal wall for three hours..... incredibly intense bursts of rain combined with very strong wind. I would have found it spectacular had I not been attempting to mop up!

The Met Office did issue a yellow weather warning for our region. Did you not see it ?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love hot sunshine and cold snowy weather

Rain doesn’t seem to be abating here, I can hear it hammering hard  against the window. I trotted up the end of the garden to the compost bin earlier on today, it was the most marshy I’ve known it recent years! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunder

We had strong gusting winds into 2pm, then squally showers here in the surrey hills. It had all passed by 6pm... 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather
2 hours ago, SenlacJack said:

The Met Office did issue a yellow weather warning for our region. Did you not see it ?

Wind warning yes, but there was no warning for the rain which i think was the main issue with Kate1, esp due to intensity.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

Must have rained quite a bit here in Bexhill, just came back from holiday to find many roads filled with surface water. I’m sad I missed this storm!

Tomorrow, I’ll be posting photos and stories on here. I’m absolutely exhausted right now, so goodnight!  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather

The barometric pressure has slightly raised to 978.3 hPa, despite the low barometric pressure readings yesterday, wind gusts did not exceed 30 miles per hour.  It is a slightly cooler day, today as the temperature is 9.8°C and the humidity has lowered slightly from 74% down to 72%.  In the past in Thurrock when the winds have been stronger,  a met warning was not given.