Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion Sept 2019 onwards

Blessed Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Same thing here, Mark, plus 2-3 rumbles and a lovely flash of white lightning. That makes a one-thousand percent increase in thunder days, compared to last year!:oldgrin:

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Seem to have missed all the rain here. Not sure what's happened the last few days but we've been pretty much predicted rain all day but not had much.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive
1 hour ago, Ed Stone said:

Same thing here, Mark, plus 2-3 rumbles and a lovely flash of white lightning. That makes a one-thousand percent increase in thunder days, compared to last year!:oldgrin:

Ah I missed the thunder and lightning I was cooking dinner with LBC blasting out . Probably the same shower though .

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Mark wheeler said:

Ah I missed the thunder and lightning I was cooking dinner with LBC blasting out . Probably the same shower though .

The Westminster shower?:shok:

• Like 4

Posted

Dry  at  the  moment  but  for  how  long looking  at  the  radar

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Morning all,

Up early to have breakfast with my Wife before she set off for her 12 hour shift. No raucous accompaniment of Foxes this Morning, just BBC News24's, Travel Show. Very worrying footage of melting ice sheets and glaciers, in Iceland.

It's no wonder Colette's ex-Polar Bear - image.png.344f05ece9f4bafe97e5afa8291ddb72.png 

Uncle Svarlbard has been pining (not for the Fjords, having graduated from Benny Hill through the Two Ronnies, y/day. Thought I'd throw in a bit of Monty Python, for fans of the show out there. No he's not a Norwegian Blue but the White variety.) but for the ice floes and ice sheets, from within the Arctic Circle.

Really struck by how dark it was still at 6 AM. Has really become Autumnal now. Let's see if the Weather, has read the script.

Below, for those Members who'd rather not read my own ramblings on the subject, is a BBC Video link to  MeteoGroup's extended Forecast, Ben Rich on shift this Morning:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/49859879

Ben started his Forecast by stating that he'd got a lot of Weather to get through in this Broadcast and that the Jet Stream has really "ramped up", throwing areas of Low Pressure at the U.K., from across the Atlantic. He highlighted the Low in mid-Atlantic, waiting in the wings to steam in overnight bringing with it some very disturbed Weather, for the second half of the Weekend.

But before that arrives, a very weak and transient Ridge of High Pressure (very much, "the calm before the storm"), should give our Region a reasonable Saturday. A very few light Showers are possible at first before that Ridge, "kills" them off. So, it should be dry by this Afternoon, with some Sunny spells for our Region, Max.Temps of around 19c for the London area. Overnight our Atlantic "troublemaker" moves into the UK from the S.W., bringing with it some heavy rain and on its southern flank some very strong to gale force, S.W. winds. These winds could gust up to 40/50 mph or so, in the most exposed spots. During Sunday, that area of Low Pressure continues to push eastwards and still some outbreaks of rain, circulating around this Low with strong winds still likely. Despite the wind and a little more raim, Max.Temps. should still reach 19c for the London area. Ben then went onto stress that Sunday night we could see a swathe of very strong winds from the N.W/N, affect our Region as that Low exits into the N.Sea. Gusts of up to 60 mph possible, by this stage with some Coastal flooding possible.

By Monday, colder air will be trying to encroach from the North but at the same time milder air from the S.W. will be trying to edge in from the S.W., ahead of yet another area of Low Pressure. Possibly starting dry, as a brief Ridge of High Pressure, "exits stage right". Soon becoming cloudy with some outbreaks of rain and a Max.Temp., a tad lower at 17c for the London area. Still some showery rain lingering over our Region on Tuesday, with a Max.Temp. of 17c for London.

Wednesday sees a lowering Temperature regime for the U.K., as areas of Low Pressure finally clear away to the East. High Pressure will start to build back into the U.K, with a strong N/N.W. wind on its Eastern flank. It will be a bit of a "shock to the system" and although it should be dry with Sunny spells, a Max.Temp. of 13c for the London area, will feel distinctly chilly, given the strength of the wind. 

Ben then stated that, our Weather for the latter part of next Week and into next Weekend is likely to be influenced by ex-Hurricane LORENZO, currently spinning around in mid-Atlantic. The remnants of this weakening feature will be moving North and as it does so, it will be swept up by the Jet Stream. Ben then stressed that Tropical moisture and its impact on the Jet Stream is very difficult to predict. Evidently, most Computer Models keep this feature well to our West. This will have the affect of turning it a bit warmer again with a S.W. wind and a Ridge of High Pressure, close to our Region. But a few Computer Models (the less likely scenario), bring that area of Low Pressure closer to the U.K. and with it some more wet and windy Weather. 

Ben ended his Forecast by stating that either way, the Weather is likely to remain rather unsettled, as we head into next Weekend.

That's my interpretation of MeteoGroup's extended Forecast for our Region, seen through the eyes of Ben Rich.

A very turbulent second half of the Weekend likely for our Region then. "Batten down the hatches." 

Regards,

Tom.   :hi: 

• Like 4

Posted

I  see the BBC are getting a bit twitchy  about what could be coming are  way next weekend

Edited by tinybill
o
  • Like 3

Posted

Well, with Bournemouth recording 20C at midday, and much of our region already at 18-19C, one wonders what it'll take, for us to experience a cold day!

Edited by Ed Stone

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
1 hour ago, tinybill said:

I  see the BBC are getting a bit twitchy  about what could be coming are  way next weekend

GFS showing a nasty storm, not good as the trees are still in full leaf. Hopefully, it’ll be much downgraded as the week progresses. I have a strange feeling that we are going to have a stormier autumn/winter than we’ve seen for some years. Could be completely wrong, of course

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme.....
2 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

GFS showing a nasty storm, not good as the trees are still in full leaf. Hopefully, it’ll be much downgraded as the week progresses. I have a strange feeling that we are going to have a stormier autumn/winter than we’ve seen for some years. Could be completely wrong, of course

I thought exactly the same this morning !!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !

Something I am interested in is how much more rain can we have - since Tuesday we have had approx 67mm here Onthe edge of Surrey downs and with more potentially before Monday it could be a very wet 7 day period ....

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun
8 minutes ago, Badgers01 said:

Something I am interested in is how much more rain can we have - since Tuesday we have had approx 67mm here Onthe edge of Surrey downs and with more potentially before Monday it could be a very wet 7 day period ....

I know, extremely wet here too. 

Thats why I never tend to go in panic mode over dry periods. It will always balance out. 

Going from dry needing rain - to rain needing dry, in the blink of an eye. 

Good old UK weather. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather

Three quarters of the sky is covered with grey/white cumulonimbus clouds with a small blue patch of sky. The temperature is 17.9°C and the humidity is at 62%. The barometric pressure has been gradually rising and is at 1008.2 hPa.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather

It has got cloudier and the small batch of blue sky has disappeared.  There were a spots of rain at 5pm but it did not develop further.

Cloudy sky.JPG

• Like 2

Posted
22 hours ago, Blessed Weather said:

Well I was wrong about that second line of showers missing me. A good half hour of moderate rain and 5 minutes of torrential stuff gave 7mm in total. And a couple of rumbles of thunder too. As hoped, as the showers passed through late afternoon there were some lovely cloudscapes as the setting sun lit up the departing clouds. :oldsmile:

866102003_Cloud127Sept.thumb.jpg.a64104315e7f45dafef515a0f214b040.jpg  32748483_Cloud227Sept.thumb.jpg.d1d20c5d6bde72715309f4c4c35c3106.jpg

Was similar here in Ipswich, really hosed it down for about 10 minutes and quicky caused some surface flooding to the roads. Like last Sunday we also had a really weird orange sky caused by the setting sun coinciding with the tail end of the shower. Good to see some interesting cloudscapes after a few weeks of pretty mundane weather.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

Today I discovered a hole in the kitchen bin which also cleaned our patio with bleachy boiling hot water. Then the rain came and moved said water onto the lawn, so Hubs will not be too happy.  At least the Bin smells fresher.

Enjoying a lovely cosy evening rather than doing the seasonal wardrobe thingy for the girlies in the house as poorly and my leg hurts. There are new stuffs every where.  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love hot sunshine and cold snowy weather
6 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

Well, with Bournemouth recording 20C at midday, and much of our region already at 18-19C, one wonders what it'll take, for us to experience a cold day!

Yes I quite agree. It’s been blustery all day here, a friend wanted to go for a bike ride this afternoon I was dubious but agreed in the spirit of friendliness. Got along to Pett level which is right on the coast but in the shelter of the sea wall,- it was right toasty in the sun, felt like summer to be honest. All a bit disjointed at the moment, having the chimney swept and looking at a log order whilst still sporting shorts and a t shirt!

• Like 5

Posted
8 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

Next Wednesday we’ll be lucky to see teens, single figures up north a bit of a chill to come and indeed first grass frost is likely in our region, not unusual for us to wait a whole lot longer.. 

16D0FA6A-AF9C-4567-AE88-0C37F01B8005.thumb.gif.d7eb957b5a6aa27fbdeb99a6e2d1acd9.gif

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
7 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Next Wednesday we’ll be lucky to see teens, single figures up north a bit of a chill to come and indeed first grass frost is likely in our region, not unusual for us to wait a whole lot longer.. 

16D0FA6A-AF9C-4567-AE88-0C37F01B8005.thumb.gif.d7eb957b5a6aa27fbdeb99a6e2d1acd9.gif

I still have tomatoes cucumbers and melons growing in my garden

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun

Yet more rain falling outside = welcome to the next 6 months. 

Hurry up spring 2020 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !
1 hour ago, Ben Lewis said:

Yet more rain falling outside = welcome to the next 6 months. 

Hurry up spring 2020 

Chin up at least it will be mild !!!

• Like 2

Posted

Good Morning everyone, it has been raining overnight and just recently starting raining again at 7 am. The temperature at 7:19 am is 16.0°C and humidity is at 82%, but other meteorological websites have it at 90%. The barometric pressure is falling and is at 994.8.

• Like 1

Posted

After a brief dry interval, the rain has started up again but much heavier.