Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion Sept 2019 onwards

Blessed Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!
5 hours ago, Daniel* said:

The rules are more relaxed in regional threads well that’s been the impression, it seems SE thread has always received more scrutiny, perhaps because the people are more interesting. There’s opportunity to discuss wider daily going ons alongside weather. I feel you are being a bit of a misery guts... forcing people away like so many have, self expression is important and human, more difficult to see on virtual space we’re more than blank profiles, none of this rigid nonsense do you want it to be ‘dead’ and soulless in here? People who moderate need to do a better job and focus on what actually needs dealing with.. and Tom is certainly not someone you need looking at.

as for lots of thunder and lightening not sure what part of town you were in!! Although it did give as much as we had seen all year, which does not say a lot. Quite a good weather day shame there’s been so little. In dry slot right now but more heavy PPN gathering to SW/W.

Daniel, how might we do a better job? Please feel free to contact us and let us know. We have a specific area of the forum for people to discuss things like that with us.

Look forward to hearing from you.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

I didn't get any thunder *sniff* But I got a new woolly hat and a new cosy coat. Oh I also won a competition, nothing exciting but I don't normally win anything. Quite chuffed. Now I'm hoping for cold so I can get some mileage out of the new purchase. Had the fortune of some lovely cloudscapes yesterday however.

It is raining again. This warm muggy wet weather is making me really tired, but it didn't help we had a powercut last night and next door, who rent, didn't know how to turn their house alarm off. 

I wish you all a pleasant day. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

It would be good to draw a line under the current discussions regarding Tom's posts and the wider issue of content and moderation in this Regional thread. As a regular contributor and moderator, here's my take.

The vast majority of Tom's posts contain weather related comment/forecasts as well as wider chat about Tom's life and on that basis are acceptable in here. I am not aware of any posts from Tom that have been deleted and he is welcomed to continue posting. If anyone believes the occasional post (or comment within) from Tom is inappropriate, then please use the report button and the moderation team will take a look. 

Reading back, there have been some mixed comments over the last 48 hours about the moderation in this thread stifling enjoyment. I have to say I'm not seeing that and thoroughly enjoy the banter and humour and happen to feel there is a relaxed atmosphere with relaxed moderation in here - but I accept that others may see things differently. So as Lauren says above, if you think otherwise and have thoughts on how we can improve what we do in any way, please use the Private Forum to contact us. Your thoughts are always very welcomed.

https://www.netweather.tv/forum/forum/171-contact-the-forum-team-private-forum/

Thank you.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather

Today is a day for watching for rain.  On the Met Office, it states that there is a 60% chance of light rain by 10 am and 50% chance of rain by 1pm.  If it does not arrive, I am going to have to do a rain dance. 

• Like 3

Posted

Lovely autumn day out there, breezy, sunny spells, the ground smells damp and there are conkers everywhere.  Allotment is sodden and some things are going a bit yellow due to being 'over-watered' yesterday.

I'd just like to quickly say that I too enjoy the relaxed atmosphere of the forum and I, like many people, enjoy the occasional saucy or tongue-in-cheek provocative post and banter. Within reason, no-one should be bounced off a forum because because their humour, experiences or viewpoint are different to someone else. Peace.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

First hefty shower cleared earlier, and radar shows more to come.  Our clay soil is absorbing the rain and the vegetation generally appear to be coming back to something approaching verdant green after a few weeks of increasing wilting.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

All this talk of flooding over the last day and here on the Sahara Essex coast only received approx 6.5 mm yesterday and overnight, the 'active' thunderstorm that was over London yesterday afternoon I could see visibly dissipating as it move eastwards and by the time it got here just some light rain with the storm fragmenting in two (the main cell to the south) and just a brief rumble of thunder.

With these more like autumnal conditions the temperatures have sort of been forgotten about and are STILL summery in nature, the last few days or so at least reaching 20c here...can we breach the figure again today?, trying it's best 18.6c out there currently and rising and still above the norm for the time of year!

Edited by Froze were the Days
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

A very welcome 8mm of rain here yesterday and after a morning of light showers it looks - from the radar - that the sunny spells are now beefing the showers up this afternoon. The radar nicely shows two distinct lines of showers across the country, swinging into our Region from the SW.

1857132455_Radar25Sept13_45.thumb.jpg.85446a31f4a03345da9a123cb3e2975c.jpg

And as Froze says above, temps not too bad so far this week - currently 20.2C here.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

@TomSE12   I have got a temporary filling that should have been replaced 14 months ago but cannot afford to, a big chunk came out the other day and i am dreading the pain when it gets worse, its also caused me to chew on the other side of mouth and now have another dental problem (probably another extraction), this original one is going to be even worse than before i had the filling because they drilled hard before, its a wisdom tooth, don't know if you can have Codeine, i took Ibuprofen, codeine, paracetamol and caffeine all at overdose levels it was that bad, finally got an emergency dental appointment - if you can't have codeine, have caffeine with the paracetamol if you can, but don't do it via coffee or Red Bull or anything because that could make your teeth worse, have the actual tablets of paracetamol @ caffeine together.

• Like 4

Posted
7 hours ago, Lauren said:

Daniel, how might we do a better job? Please feel free to contact us and let us know. We have a specific area of the forum for people to discuss things like that with us.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Hi Lauren, I’m not not taking about you, I think you’re one of the better ones and BW is very good and fair, over years I’ve seen it first hand breakdown of SE community, not sure how a community can exist when all what happens is people get silenced out of fear, and discussion gets shut down ie. politics thread. I hope people can self moderate, it’s not too much to ask and if they can’t, deny them. I’m unsure why it seems the moderators seem to act as babysitters.. when nearly all of us full grown adults, maybe I propose a new area ‘separate’ to main forum, which requires acceptance into, only 18+ in which discourse can happen without so much moderation, if any. There seems to be too much moderation if you ask me, and it needs to be done more fairly, some have a ticket out of jail it seems. 

@Mr Frost Er no being frank most regionals are stale, well I’m just saying we have lost many valued members over years, who were very interesting characters, not drama seekers well maybe there were some, it’s not a coincidence. I read the other regionals for time to time such as yours and I notice off topic stuff is never far, yet no one goes in there certainly a hostility to southeast in the wider forum community. I don’t make sense of it. I do think you have one of the best regionals though. I feel it’s all a sad state of affairs Tom has departed.

Anyway enough of this, the weather? I see blue and it’s 20C quite good going for late September. :drinks:

Posted
1 hour ago, TomSE12 said:

What really annoyed me was the Post from someone purporting to be MissGrace?? I was annoyed because someone that had a mere 10 posts against their name felt entitled to have a right "dig" at a Member who had more than 6,000+ posts, against his name!!The posting style and defensive nature of the post, was vaguely familiar but I'll stop there, as I don't want to embroil the Thread, in further controversy.

Regardless of how many posts a person has made, personal digs aren't on, although on the same basis, just because someone has less posts they shouldn't be considered to be less valued. And publically calling people out, as you've both done to one another now really is counter-productive, The report button is there if anyone spots a post which they believe is problematic, the team deal will then look into it as quickly as possible, then things are less end up getting out of hand as they perhaps did yesterday.

49 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Hi Lauren, I’m not not taking about you, I think you’re one of the better ones and BW is very good and fair, over years I’ve seen it first hand breakdown of SE community, not sure how a community can exist when all what happens is people get silenced out of fear, and discussion gets shut down ie. politics thread. I hope people can self moderate, it’s not too much to ask and if they can’t, deny them. I’m unsure why it seems the moderators seem to act as babysitters.. when nearly all of us full grown adults, maybe I propose a new area ‘separate’ to main forum, which requires acceptance into, only 18+ in which discourse can happen without so much moderation, if any. There seems to be too much moderation if you ask me, and it needs to be done more fairly, some have a ticket out of jail it seems. 

Lauren did invite you to talk to the team in the team section, but hey ho. Anyway, no-one has been silenced out of fear here, there was a bit of a coming together last night due to what looks like some ill feeling between a couple of members and a single political post being removed. That's it - Tom has even posted above you explaining his reasoning. The team seldom need to moderate in this thread, and pretty much all of the moderation in here occurs if a post is reported, so it's hard to understand where you feel 'over moderation' can be occurring on that basis. 

The controversy in this thread several years ago (6?) was a shame, but it's done and dusted. Since that fairly difficult time there have been little to no issues in this or any of the other regional threads, so again i'm unsure why you're bringing it up in this context.

Anyway, once again - please use the team forum or pm to continue with this conversation, as I'm quite sure others coming in here to chat about the weather and what have you have little to no interest in this stuff. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
5 hours ago, Froze were the Days said:

All this talk of flooding over the last day and here on the Sahara Essex coast only received approx 6.5 mm yesterday and overnight, the 'active' thunderstorm that was over London yesterday afternoon I could see visibly dissipating as it move eastwards and by the time it got here just some light rain with the storm fragmenting in two (the main cell to the south) and just a brief rumble of thunder.

With these more like autumnal conditions the temperatures have sort of been forgotten about and are STILL summery in nature, the last few days or so at least reaching 20c here...can we breach the figure again today?, trying it's best 18.6c out there currently and rising and still above the norm for the time of year!

Feels rather like August and earlier this month here - rain kept weakening as it moved-in from the west. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Yes the magic 20c threshold was breached once again!...20.4c max today, a good barometer to measure in 'neutral' conditions just how much warmer it is now compared to lets say 20 years ago - neither really in Tm or Pm air mass currently.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

I've just noticed, looking at that 2nd Feb.2009 Croydon snowfall clip, that Southern Region's Information Screens,

had 2nd Feb 2008 on them.

Oh dear Southern Region, perhaps it was the "wrong type of snow" and got into the electrics of East Croydon's Information system!!

The bitter cold pool responsible for this epic snow event can be traced back to N.W.Russia, a few days earlier.

00z Fri. 30th Jan. 2009                                00z Sat.31st Jan.2009                               

image.thumb.png.14c043025a216e5a9c9743cf51faeca4.png    image.thumb.png.732b953d161198f4084760b3cc35d6c7.png    

12z Sat.31st Jan.2009

image.thumb.png.be405fc0cd739529985d06cc22181c7c.png

The bitter air was about to arrive, the catalyst for delivering this was a strong rise of Pressure, over Scandinavia.

I can vividly remember coming home from work in Croydon, via Bromley, on the Saturday evening. Bromley Council's Gritting Dept. had obviously. "had the word", from the Met.Office. I was amazed at the amount of grit that had been spread on the Borough's roads. The air at that stage, was beginning to get that Continental stinging tingle on the skin, as the Temps., began to fall.

Those Members that looked at the Met. Office Fax Charts backed then, will remember that they called the event, correctly. A couple of Days out their Fax Charts depicted the "tell-tale" barbed trough line, straight down the Thames. Tremendous piece of Forecasting, at that range.

They are much maligned on occasion but this time, they had it "spot on."

Confirmation of the date of the arrival of the "Thames Streamer" event, overnight 1st/2nd Feb. 2009, can be seen on these Meteociel archive charts, below:

00z Sun.1st Feb.2009                                   12z Sun.1st.Feb.2009                              

image.thumb.png.839fa28fa9c54f858febb3b1e2422093.png     image.thumb.png.ae9bc533d171a9f6fb58b7cb7c034cb7.png    

00z Mon.2nd Feb.2009

image.thumb.png.28e03e60350845e2fc5a6945b0c0cda5.png

Sunday, dawned fairly bright but it started to feel bitterly cold and the advanced troops of this particular "Beast from the East", had started to peck away at our Eastern Coastline, delivering some early wintry flurries. 

I was at work in Croydon on that Sunday and we had a Snow Shower, around Lunchtime. Although fairly heavy, it wasn't enough to lay down a covering. The Radar returns from the Thanes Estuary which had looked promising, started to look less so and shower activity transferred further South over our Region, perhaps as the flow turned N.E., temporarily.

But the Lunchtime Snow Shower, was just a small "Hors D'oeuvres" to the main event which was expected to start later.

I made my way back to Lee, via Bromley and the Temperature felt bitter with pavements starting to ice up.

Cloud to the East of Bromley, looked to be building up. As I boarded the 261 Bus for Lee, the first few snowflakes were starting to fall. When the Bus reached Lee there was already a slight covering on the ground.

Crossing the road adjacent to the South Circular and looking away Eastwards, down that road, the Eastern Horizon was full of that welcoming, "orange glow". Just after I got indoors, a succession of heavy Snow Showers arrived. 

The Meteociel archive chart, bottom left, depicts the peak of the "Thames Streamer" event and close to the time of the Thunder/Snow, that myself, Steve M. and the surprised guy in that YouTube clip from near Dartford, experienced.

It was still snowing at around 7/8 AM. on that Monday Morning, 2nd Feb.2009. It was later to be reinforced by some further Snow, tracking N.W., out of France. This did turn sleety later in the Day, as some warmer upper air arrived. But not before a covering of 6 inches had been laid down. That is a very respectable amount for my location, in the extreme South of the Lewisham Borough.

I think I'll be lucky to witness such a potent "Thames Streamer" event, during the rest of my Lifetime.

Fingers crossed for all of our Members that live in the Eastern Thames Corridor, that one turns up this Winter!! :oldgood:

Regards,

Tom.   :hi:

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow events / Wind storms
10 minutes ago, TomSE12 said:

I've just noticed, looking at that 2nd Feb.2009 Croydon snowfall clip, that Southern Region's Information Screens,

I remember that event well! Had quite a bit of thundersnow overnight during a thick covering, which hit the local grid and took the power out, after the clouds had cleared and with a bright moon the scene was amazing with light reflections all over the place, made the night seem quite light and eerie!

Edited by Essex Easterly.
  • Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Essex Easterly. said:

I remember that event well! Had quite a bit of thundersnow overnight during a thick covering, which hit the local grid and took the power out, after the clouds had cleared and with a bright moon the scene was amazing with light reflections all over the place, made the night seem quite light and eerie!

Hi E.E.,

Yes you are in pretty good "Thames Streamer" territory there. But this event behaved a little differently, than the norm.

Your near neighbour Paul Sherman, helped write a superb analysis of the event. 

It explained why those parts of S.E.Essex that normally do very well in "T/S" situations,

only had "quote", a covering of Polystyrene Balls whereas areas way to the W.S.W, such as the Guildford area, had around a foot of snow. That was very unusual, as that location is a long way from the source of fuel for the "T/S", the Thames Estuary.

Can you remember what the amount of snowfall was, that you received from that "T/S" event, E,E.?  

Regards,

Tom.   :hi:

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow events / Wind storms
37 minutes ago, TomSE12 said:

Hi E.E.,

Yes you are in pretty good "Thames Streamer" territory there. But this event behaved a little differently, than the norm.

I do remember waking up to and recording a covering of around 13 inches the following morning over the garden, which was topped up on and off during the next few days! I don't remember it being extremely cold at the time. 2010 in the local area was almost the same in regards to snowfall, but without thunder, I think I remember that year being the year of the constant ice freeze thaw during the day & night, resulting in huge icicles hanging from gutters, some so thick you had to almost kick the door into them to get out of the house!

Edited by Essex Easterly.
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

So glad @TomSE12 is still posting, as for changing this regional thread, no thanks, I love it in here, the diversity is brilliant, and I love how different posters chat about different things freely, sometimes it's nice to divulge in something else other than the weather, I would hate this to turn into the mad thread, there's enough insanity in there, well, i've said my piece, been a day of blustery showers today, and some heavy showers as well I might add, but still not cold, keeping a close eye on how Lorenzo will influence the weather in 7 days or so.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

More brilliant posts @TomSE12 and as me and Tom have discussed my area also has a streamer setup which is similar to the Thames streamer with snow showers developing in the North Sea and entering the firth of forth before arriving here, here's hoping this winter has some in store for both our regions.

Also here are forecasts from the Feb 2009 event that Tom superbly described

And the superb summary of the event from @Paul Sherman 

Edited by Kirkcaldy Weather
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

I was initially gutted to hear that@TomSE12 may not be posting any longer as of this morning; It’s been an emotionally stressful day for me anyway (Funeral), and this only added to it. However, my spirits were lifted once again when I saw him continuing to post this afternoon.

Tom, you are an amazing contributor to an amazing forum. Never forget that many, many people on this forum value all of your posts, and will always continue to do so. I love your sense of humour, as well as your detailed overviews and recollections of previous weather events.

In short: Stick around please!  

Edited by LightningLover
  • Like 3

Posted

Tuesday's downpours weren't much of an event here, the rain was steady through the morning but pretty much just the odd shower by 11.00.  My grandson was enjoying playing in puddles at the farm, but by the time we went back up about 17.30 you'd hardly have known it had rained.

"Where puddles gone Nana?" 

"Out came the sunshine, and dried up all the rain..."

I'm glad the water butts are full again.  The lightning indicator on WeatherBug showed storms moving north from Bishop's Stortford and there was plenty going on around Ely.  They missed us completely, not even a rumble.  We're south-west of Cambridge and I've often watched storms track up the M11 corridor, but don't come far enough west to entertain us.

A quick note to Tom - I do hope you'll continue your informative posts and links - tiramisu recipes always welcome - and I, as someone the same age as you, will try not to frown at 'weather girl' references!

With regard to your dental pain, if you can take codeine I highly recommend Paramol, the black packet, which can be bought without prescription from any pharmacy.  Swilling a solution of Solpadeine around the painful area helps, and Diclofenac works for me, it's prescription only though.  Lying painful side down against a pack of frozen peas can help numb it too.  I hope it's easing for  you now.

• Like 3

Posted

Morning all,

It's 4.30, I'm already downstairs  and although my Dental pain has greatly improved, pain in my left shoulder is giving me plenty of "gip." My Wife (aka Nurse Colette), comes across a lot of these Arthritic type ailments during her job caring for the aged, in a Residential Care Home in Chislehurst. 

Colette is a bit of a Physiologist, on the "quiet" and suggests her old f..t, is suffering from general wear n' tear and possibly something called Rotator Cuff Pain. 

@twiglet98, thanks for those pain relief tips but I think Colette would come down on me like a image.thumb.png.b8fd7120def891e0e52764e7a30f99cc.png if I took Pain Relief with an EINE, in it!! As I'm on Hypertension medication and I really don't fancy a "ton of bricks", on my left shoulder right now. :nonono:

Fortunately, the pain in my sore gum, has greatly improved. But I came home from the King's College Dental Clinic resembling, a patched up "pin cushion", on Monday Afternoon.

My poor exasperated Dentist had to try four times to find a vein, in which to run a line of liquid Diazepam into it. So I returned home with Four Cannulas taped to the back of my hand/arm. (No not four Candles or Fork 'andles!!), Cannulas.

Thought I'd give Benny Hill a break and try some Two Ronnies, punchlines!! :oldgrin:

Told Colette to thoroughly wash and sterilise the Cannulas -   image.thumb.png.6efe96bdc39240879025400467698760.png

and she can use them as Candle holders, on her Birthday cake, come November. And although Colette is 10 Years younger than me, she's going to need a lot more than 4 Candles, on her Birthday cake.

I promise I will get on to the Weather a little later but I need to thank a few Members first.

Regards,

Tom.  :hi:

• Like 3

Posted
5 hours ago, LightningLover said:

I was initially gutted to hear that@TomSE12 may not be posting any longer as of this morning; It’s been an emotionally stressful day for me anyway (Funeral), and this only added to it. However, my spirits were lifted once again when I saw him continuing to post this afternoon.

Tom, you are an amazing contributor to an amazing forum. Never forget that many, many people on this forum value all of your posts, and will always continue to do so. I love your sense of humour, as well as your detailed overviews and recollections of previous weather events.

In short: Stick around please!  

I must admit to feeling very flattered and humbled, when I came back online after getting up this Morning. I found that I'm still getting goodwill messages above and a few PM's from Members, requesting me to continue Posting.

I was especially touched with your above Post, L.L. After reading this I feel incumbent to continue Posting on this Thread.

To have the wherewithal to post the above compliment speaks volumes of your spirit, after suffering a very stressful Day!! Cherish your memories of the person, whose Funeral it was yesterday.

All I can add is that time is a great healer , both myself and Colette have had to deal with Bereavement and Anniversaries of Relatives passing away.

Some Members may have read my tribute to my Italian Mother, on the occasion of the 15th Anniversary of her passing, on the In Memoriam Thread, on August 10th. Her passing is still very painful for myself and my extended Family.

I'm very flattered that along with L.L., other Members seem to appreciate my attempted humorous type, Posting.

I've always enjoyed a bit of creative writing, which I'm sure Nat West Bank in Bromley will testify to, when in receipt of my letters, pleading poverty.

C'mon, I'm not able to work now and only in receipt of Bertie Benefit!!  :oldgrin:

In a short while, I will return to discuss MeteoGroup's extended Forecast and how it is likely to impact, our Region.

Regards,

Tom.  :hi: 

• Like 4