Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion Sept 2019 onwards

Blessed Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Up early to have Breakfast with my Wife, before she set off for her early Morning shift.

Again, no prolonged commentary about MeteoGroup's extended Forecast. Just the link to the Broadcast from, Louise Lear:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/49626865

So, some warmth and humidity flowing over our Region for Thursday, courtesy of ex-Tropical Storm GABRIELLE. But a weakening Cold Front moves S.E. across our Region during Thursday, dislodging the warmth/humidity back into Continental Europe. 

Over the Weekend High Pressure will build strongly, over the South of the U.K. This will potentially give our Region, a sustained period of fine and very warm Weather. Temperatures could well climb into the mid-20's, over our area.

Some very nice Weather in the offing then.

For Yours Truly, a return to a calorie/sugar controlled diet after my Birthday "blow-out", couple of Days. A cholesterol Test from a couple of Weeks ago, revealed a slightly raised level. I should be able to control that though, through a calorie/sugar controlled Diet.

Regards,

TomSE12.  :hi: 

• Like 3

Posted

Lovely surprise to see a bit of fog on top of the hill this morning! Could this be the start of 2019 Fog Index?  Paging lassie...paging lassie....

Can't start Coat Index as currently on a mega money saving mission this month and not going in any shops, so that will start October 1st. It's like The Good Life round here currently, all runner bean stew and Scrabble (!).

Looking forward to a settled, sunny weekend - they are so useful at this time of year.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !

Yep can confirm mist across Esher Common this morning ...! In the Good life which I love watching there are many mentions of Esher , Cobham and even Epsom !

• Like 1

Posted
5 hours ago, TomSE12 said:

For Yours Truly, a return to a calorie/sugar controlled diet after my Birthday "blow-out", couple of Days. A cholesterol Test from a couple of Weeks ago, revealed a slightly raised level. I should be able to control that though, through a calorie/sugar controlled Diet.

Happy birthday Tom:) Sorry for the late best wishes, been a bit busy with my own birthday a week or so ago, and then the back to college routine for son and proper back to work routine for me. This time of year I become obsessed with 'regrouping', ie reorganising and planning more than I ever do at new year.

The seasons are now changing with gusto. The first snows have turned up on the highest slopes and webcams in Europe, the nights are drawing in alarmingly and the evening dog walk now requires a warm top at the very least. The air hasn't quite got that winter feel to it yet as the temperature drops at nightfall but it can't be long. I do love September and it's been great getting back into Nonsuch Park with the dog. Looking forward to some seasonal mists soon. Today it's the usual mix of clouds and blue sky, plenty of useable weather about still. 

• Like 4

Posted

Apologies to Malcolm (B.W.), if this isn't appropriate but just wanted to post up these cute photos, as a Postscript to my Birthday meal, I've got permission from my Niece (the little girl's Mother).

image.thumb.png.7bf3a8dbb598ecfe37ae0923da0e2907.png

My Great Niece with Paolo, L'Orsi Polare (Polar Bear). Evidently, when she got home from the Restaurant on Sunday, she wanted to feed him a can of Tuna, after I told her to feed him plenty of Fish and Seals. On Monday Morning, she insisted on taking Paolo to School!!

image.thumb.png.a9a0aafd4ab689452775771d0df04f07.png

My Niece (the little girl's Mother), has already put her new Lodger to work. My Niece has a very busy work schedule and works a lot from home. But this Week, she has a business trip to Scandinavia. So, Paolo is already earning his Fish/Seals by doing some work on a Laptop!! Above is Paolo, being "shown the ropes", by my Great Niece.

Perhaps Paolo could become NW's S.E. Correspondent in the Arctic Sea Ice/ Snow and Ice Coverage in the Northern Hemisphere Threads (Could be a bit of Competition there, Katrine!!). :oldgrin:

Evidently, Paolo - image.thumb.png.28e80dc182132de42a63d7f5318efd24.png

has settled in well and has already made friends with Reggie the Reindeer - 

image.png.136a90f7a1186448869df106d9eb11aa.png Who was a gift for my Great Niece, last Xmas.

I have instructed my Niece if the Temperature becomes too warm, she could pop him in her Freezer for a while but only if she has the room amongst the food, as she is looking after Sammy the Snowman for me, at the moment -

image.thumb.png.5cb129d8ac747a81250161cfa039b6df.png

Must go now, as my Nurse is about to give me my injection and men in White Coats (cunningly disguised as Polar Bears and Snowmen), are banging on my Front Door.

Yours "barking",

Tom.  :crazy: :hi:

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

Zero rain again here!  What is happening?

Correction - some, but not enough to make a difference.

Edited by chrisbell-nottheweatherman

Posted
42 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Well it’s my birthday and the weather is a bit dreary, hope I get some sunshine before it’s too late! 

6122A327-220F-4EAF-8B6F-970640972B9C.thumb.png.a80b54f0a0c16fa358b6299a64725912.png

Happy birthday mate.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

Happy Birthday Daniel and a belated Happy Birthday to Tom.

After a grey, gloomy start to the day the clearance following the cold front was making good progress south earlier, with clear skies reaching me early afternoon. The temp responded nicely and it's now 22.4C at 15.30. Rather breezy today though with a gust of 29mph at lunchtime. I hope the sunshine reaches you Daniel, but it's touch and go as the front will stall and eventually move north again as a warm front (which will clear the Region overnight to give a lovely warm day tomorrow). Here's the Europe and UK view from Sat24.com:

884437348_Satellite11Sept15_35.thumb.jpg.7da27c6e3148941fc0d4be035b6b4fc8.jpg  235602969_Satellite11Sept15_25.thumb.jpg.2451148a8d3a5465942aa6f8be62784a.jpg

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

Been in Croatia, got back on Tues. Zadar was kind enough to deliver a corking storm on Saturday evening. Unfortunately I've never had to deal with street lighting or scenery during a storm, given that most of my storms in Norfolk are devoid of anything apart from darkness, so it was all a bit hit and miss. When it really ramped up I was driven off the balcony by horizontal rain and very squally winds, suffice to say it was very very noisy. I've included one where it felt like I'd been punched in the chest by a giant (I think I must have stabbed the camera button on my phone by accident, I was swapping from DSLR to a bit of videoing at the time). 

Storm1.jpg

Storm2.jpg

Storm3.jpg

Storm4.jpg

Storm5.jpg

Storm6.jpg

Storm7.jpg

IMG_20190908_233833.jpg

• Like 9

Posted
1 hour ago, Blessed Weather said:

Happy Birthday Daniel and a belated Happy Birthday to Tom.

After a grey, gloomy start to the day the clearance following the cold front was making good progress south earlier, with clear skies reaching me early afternoon. The temp responded nicely and it's now 22.4C at 15.30. Rather breezy today though with a gust of 29mph at lunchtime. I hope the sunshine reaches you Daniel, but it's touch and go as the front will stall and eventually move north again as a warm front (which will clear the Region overnight to give a lovely warm day tomorrow). Here's the Europe and UK view from Sat24.com:

884437348_Satellite11Sept15_35.thumb.jpg.7da27c6e3148941fc0d4be035b6b4fc8.jpg  235602969_Satellite11Sept15_25.thumb.jpg.2451148a8d3a5465942aa6f8be62784a.jpg

Thanks @Blessed Weather :)

Happy to report sunshine has poked through ! 

1E0405CC-F0C8-4BCD-8D7D-6DE5D4E44AD9.thumb.jpeg.3ebd2cdba995c2bebd46332d81926b1c.jpeg

• Like 4

Posted

Wow @Daniel* thats some view even though i dont like heights.

Has anyone read the report on Hurricane Dorian page by the storm chaser......  amazing stunning and just scary.

If you havent have a read as thats why we are all on here for some reason extreme weather!!!!!

• Like 1

Posted

Happy birthday @Daniel*, that's three in a row this past week or so on the SE thread

A few pics from around the time of my birthday. One is the pond at Garsons Farm in Esher, another Nonsuch Park feeling cool and also a snap of this evening's lovely sunset. A couple have gone through the filter app I recently put on my phone, you may be able to spot which ones.. 

IMG_20190904_094154-01.jpeg

IMG_20190911_193907-01.jpeg

IMG_20190830_111542-01.jpeg

• Like 7

Posted
1 hour ago, Reefseeker said:

Happy birthday @Daniel*, that's three in a row this past week or so on the SE thread

A few pics from around the time of my birthday. One is the pond at Garsons Farm in Esher, another Nonsuch Park feeling cool and also a snap of this evening's lovely sunset. A couple have gone through the filter app I recently put on my phone, you may be able to spot which ones.. 

IMG_20190904_094154-01.jpeg

IMG_20190911_193907-01.jpeg

V

I don’t think I got round to wishing you a happy birthday unless I’m losing my marbles, so a happy belated birthday! The virgos are the best in town....no bias here, 8) love them photos. I’m not a fan of editing but I like what you have done with the first makes the image pop. The weather err, very humid tonight, easy to think we had escaped it but it is only middle of September, looking at ECM some notable warm weather to come with a reload later next week this weekend is looking great.

• Like 3

Posted

Morning all,

Up very early again, think my Brain Haemorrhage of 4 Years ago, has sent my body clock, "skew-whiff." 

My Wife and I did a lot of walking yesterday and when we got home around 2.30, I had to go straight to bed for a couple of hours. Consequently by 4 AM, my body is telling me to get up. I've read lots of information on "sleep hygiene" but still can't break this cycle, of early rising. But I definitely need my Afternoon nap, as fatigue is a well known problem after trauma to the Brain. 

We still needed one of our Bedroom fans on last Night, as my Wife used the Oven last Night and that rising hot air, settled in our Bedroom above.

Now sitting downstairs with a cuppa and just about to watch a recording of MeteoGroup's extended Forecast.

Below, is a BBC link to the Forecast, with Ben Rich:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/49669669

Ben began his Forecast, by stating that Low Pressure is in charge at the moment and these systems, started life in the Tropics. A much weakened Hurricane DORIAN, has just passed well to the North, of the U.K. Today sees the remnants of Tropical Storm GABRIELLE, track towards the U.K. Wedged between it's Warm and Cold Front, is an area of humid, Tropical air and we will certainly feel the effects of that, especially over our Region today.

Turning increasingly cloudy today and breezy but dry, with a very warm and humid Max.Temp. of 24c, for the London area. Overnight, a fragmenting Cold Front will once again sweep that muggy air, back into the Continent. On Friday, an area of High Pressure starts to build back in, from the S.W. A much fresher feeling Day tomorrow, plenty of sunshine and dry, with a Max.Temp. back down to 20c, for the London area. 

On Saturday, High Pressure becomes dominant over the South of the U.K. Another dry, sunny Day for our Region with Max,Temps. for London, back up to 22c. The Temperature rises further on Sunday, with 25c likely for the London area. Sunday will again be dry, with long sunny spells for our Region.

Monday, sees yet another weakening Cold Front move South, across our Region. So, a repeat performance of that warm and slightly, humid air being swept away, into Europe. Long spells of sunshine for our Region, with a fresher feeling Max.Temp. of 21c, for the London area. 

For the rest of next Week, the Jet Stream looks to push a long way North, of the U.K.

Ben ended his Forecast by stating that High Pressure will become dominant, yet again. The exact positioning of this High still open to question, with the exact position of this High being the key, as to how warm it will get for our Region. But indications are that we are likely to tap into some rather warm and humid air with the possibility of some overnight Fog, as we go into the following Week, and with High Pressure in charge, it should remain dry for our Region.

So, Low Pressure becoming less dominant and High Pressure taking charge, again.

That's my interpretation of MeteoGroup's extended Forecast for our Region, seen through the eyes of Ben Rich.

I've now lost count of the number of fragmenting Cold Fronts, we've seen Forecast to track across our Region, as they run into higher Pressure, over the last few Weeks.

Regards,

Tom.    :hi: 

• Like 5

Posted

Quote - 

"Happy birthday @Daniel*, that's three in a row this past week or so on the SE thread".

Hi Angela (Reefseeker) and Daniel.

Yes, today the S.E. Thread, tomorrow The World. Virgoans' Rule, ok!! :oldgrin:

Please accept, a belated Birthday gift for the two of you.

A "Virtual" Doggy Bag, slice of Torta della Nonna (Grandmother's Cake) - image.png.e5303cb30c2ba18068f829476909cf58.png

and a piece of Tiramisu (Pick Me Up Cake) - image.thumb.png.56208773354bfb4c6e414aa7d9ed5035.png

All washed down with a "virtual" Cappucino - image.png.590538c97499af90792da4f6a821df76.png

The above two Desserts were part of my Birthday menu, on Sunday. I plumped for a Tiramisu and delicious it was, too.

My Wife makes Tiramisu, to "die" for but has become very superstitious about making it. The last one she made was 4 Years ago, a few Days before I suffered a Brain Haemorrhage and claims it was her Tiramisu, that caused it!! :nonono:

Colette has made them flavoured with Baileys, and others flavoured with the Italian Liqueurs of Amaretto and Limoncello, absolutely delicious.

If the Forecast Models and MeteoGroup's extended Forecast are correct, we are likely to see Temperatures more akin to the Mediterranean rather than S.E.England, over the next Week or so.

Buon appetito,

Angela and Daniel.

Regards,

Tom.   :hi:

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Looks like they've overplayed the cloud today and under played the temperatures....25c here and in a few other locations. Lovely autumn day.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather

There is a scattering of cumulus clouds with a light blue sky background.  It is very sunny, and the temperature is 22.2°C at 15:57 along with humidity of 67% .  The barometer pressures is 1026.0 and it is steady.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather

Lovely warm evening/night, sitting outside on patio in t-shirt and shorts after a couple of hours or so painting, one would think we are in July. Just had a tiny sprinkle, but nothing at all on radar.....? Seemed to be playing up earlier. Long may this warm spell continue.

Edited by all weather
  • Like 2

Posted

Morning all,

Up early to have Breakfast with my Wife, before she set off her early Morning shift.

No detailed analysis of MeteoGroup's extended Forecast from me, this Morning. So, see below for the BBC link to a video of the Forecast, this Morning with Lucy Martin. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/49684043

Essentially, no change in the extended Forecast for our Region, then. A little fresher feeling today, before Temps. climb again over the Weekend, perhaps reaching 25c/26c, somewhere in our Region. Yet another fragmenting Cold Front pushes that very warm, humid air, back into the Continent on Mon/Tues. After a cooler feel to the Weather, in the earlier part of next Week, Temps look to rise again as High Pressure begins to dominate, once again. If that High Pressure drifts a little to our East, we are likely to drag in some more warmth and humidity with a chance of overnight Fog.

Still looks like a period of prolonged dry, sunny and warm Weather to come then, for our Region. No sign of anything especially Autumnal yet, then. More the Season of, "mists and mellow fruitfulness".

Could be that myself and my Wife, may still need to use our Bedroom Fan, at night!!

Regards,

Tom.   :hi: 

• Like 4

Posted
On 12/09/2019 at 00:48, Daniel* said:

I don’t think I got round to wishing you a happy birthday unless I’m losing my marbles, so a happy belated birthday! The virgos are the best in town....no bias here, 8) love them photos. I’m not a fan of editing but I like what you have done with the first makes the image pop. The weather err, very humid tonight, easy to think we had escaped it but it is only middle of September, looking at ECM some notable warm weather to come with a reload later next week this weekend is looking great.

Thanks Daniel and yes, of course, nobody beats a virgo;) Agreed about pics, generally I prefer them to be as close to 'natural' as possible but as you say, the colours really stood out on that first one after filter-ification (new word?). The second one, however, looks more like a scene from the first Ghosbusters movie than Surbiton... so perhaps a smidge overdone;) Thank you @TomSE12 for the virtual cakes, they had me dribbling at my keyboard although I did get some real tiramisu on Saturday at a new Italian that has opened up in Surbiton.

Nonsuch Park is now in full 'prepare for autumn' swing as the trees start to get a tinge of orange. The picture below is of a tree that is currently acting as the hideout for many a vengeful/hungry/well-prepared squirrel, hiding in wait for innocent dog walkers to trundle by and then unleashing conkers and their shells from on high; I got a right showering as I walked beneath.

Lovely weather again, it felt humid late yesterday as I was doing a 9-hour stretch painting the attic; handy for keeping the windows open overnight. And we just might have a bbq on the weekend if the promised sunshine materialises.

IMG_20190913_133750.jpg

• Like 6

Posted

Morning all,

Up early to have Breakfast with my Wife, before she set off her early Morning, six hour shift. But knowing Colette, she'll probably get talked into working until 7 PM, if a Member of Staff goes sick.

No detailed analysis of MeteoGroup's extended Forecast from me this Morning, as I'm saving my Arthritic Right hand, for a lot of work, over on the Sports Zone.

So, see below for the BBC link to a video of the Forecast, this Morning with Sarah Keith-Lucas:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/49694713

So, a  very warm Max. Temp. of 25c still on the cards for the London area tomorrow, before yet another fragmenting Cold Front, sweeps this warm, humid air back into the Continent, on Monday. Thereafter, on the cool side into the early part of the next Week with High Pressure becoming dominant, once again. Temperatures will be on the rise again, after midweek. So, a continuing spell of fine, dry and warm Weather likely for our Region but perhaps a little on the chilly side at Night, under that area of High Pressure.

Regards,

Tom.  :hi:

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather

A beautiful sunny Saturday morning.  The temperature is 16.3°C along with a humidity of 69%.  The barometer pressure is at 1033.3 is falling. Here are some pictures of the sky taken from my back garden and the dogwood shrub and crab apple. I also have a alder shrub, that is heavy with berries.  I took a picture of it, but when I saw the photo that I took of the alder shrub, but the berries could not be seen.

Back garden 2.jpg

IMG_20190914_091826.jpg

signs of autumn 1.jpg

Crab apple 1.jpg

Edited by Katrine Basso
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

What a glorious September day with lots of warm sunshine and the gentlest of breezes. On the early morning walk it felt quite autumnal, but this afternoon feeling really summery again with the temp maxing at 23C at 14.10 but now gradually falling away. Looks like we've all enjoyed a lovely day:

13.10 754646916_Satellite14Sept13_10.thumb.jpg.a23ced90d0c33a6db0500476f15522f4.jpg

• Like 7