Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into Autumn 2019.

Posted
1 hour ago, johnholmes said:

Apologies about keeping the full post but it seems appropriate.

Interesting post Steve. The situation is not that different from an empirical rule used in UK Met LONG before computers arrived in trying, in winter, to predict when a Scandinavian high could develop. The charts you show are not too different from the ideas behind the empirical rule and the probability of the ridge then persisting for more than 48 hours.

Remember in the 50's and 60's only human forecasts were done so trying to predict beyond 24-48 hours was pretty unusual.

Unable send pm, you do not receive messages!

Anyway here with brief explanation

Hi Steve

Doing this via pm rather than clutter up the model thread.

No luck so far in copying and posting into my pc and thence via pm to you.

I

ps sorry folks some of my text is missing, dinner time so will delete the above and re do it later-sorry

Edited by johnholmes
  • Like 1

Posted

Getting a bit concerned any blocking high is not going to be strong enough and just ends up leaving the already soaking wet UK to suffer more of this horrendous wind and rain.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

If only it were January, and the T850s were 15C lower!!!

h500slp.png   h850t850eu.png

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
15 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

If only it were January, and the T850s were 15C lower!!!

h500slp.png   h850t850eu.png

this would do, great childhood snowy days

archives-1996-11-19-12-0.pngarchives-1996-11-20-0-0.png

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

But, alas, the GFS Operational is all on its lonesome, regarding that intense depression on Day 16!:shok:

prmslNorfolk.png   t850Norfolk.png

prcpNorfolk.png   t2mNorfolk.png

And, if those Average 2m Temps are anything to go by, 'same sheet, different day' would sum-up the 12Zs quite nicely!

• Like 4

Posted

i see  thr  gfs  have Lorenzo  going from wales via the heart  of the country  ex  s e of the  uk

gfs-2-72.png

gfs-2-78.png

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, JON SNOW said:

I noticed quite a bit of Arctic potential lining up for just after mid october on the GEFS 12z...I wouldn't rule out some surprisingly early snow this month!❄

An October 2008 repeat would satisfy me!  We can all hope.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

I wouldn't mind seeing more charts like this as we head towards winter..nice!!!!❄

17_378_850tmp.thumb.png.48c0fe3523e9617c525bef1f535afb9d.png

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms frost snow heatwaves

Unsurprisingly the lack of posts in here so far today would seem to reflect the latest output from the 00z Ecm. Very different from yesterday’s 12z, not of course with regards to Lorenzo but with regards to what follows.Yesterdays output had a much stronger looking jet stream suppressing any heights to the south whereas it’s the opposite today. So as it stands next week and quite possibly beyond looking very benign indeed with little sign if any of anything remotely wintry.

Edited by Newberryone

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
24 minutes ago, Newberryone said:

Unsurprisingly the lack of posts in here so far today would seem to reflect the latest output from the 00z Ecm. Very different from yesterday’s 12z, not of course with regards to Lorenzo but with regards to what follows.Yesterdays output had a much stronger looking jet stream suppressing any heights to the south whereas it’s the opposite today. So as it stands next week and quite possibly beyond looking very benign indeed with little sign if any of anything remotely wintry.

I've got to agree with you here. Nothing in the extended ECM ensembles that show anything to cold. It still looks like a build of pressure around mid month with some settled conditions, and average temperatures... Obviously cool nights could be expected. In all honesty I fail to see how a significant cold spell in October could be a Signal for a cold winter ahead! You only have to cast your mind back to the big freeze of December 2010,to see that an early severe cold spell can quickly be replaced with a benign spell for the rest of the Winter! 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

image.thumb.png.c8cb75d583b37560551b8b081817f796.png

Lots of spread on the ECM ensembles, even at day 6 there is a 15mb pressure difference between the top and bottom ensemble members. It did look like something a bit more settled might start to creep in, but that now seems to be no more or less likely than unsettled weather continuing. I can understand the lack of posts, it's a pretty uninspiring outlook at present. 

• Like 3

Posted

Tonight so far we have a full house at day 6....Namely deep low pressure to our NW.... Meaning spells of rain and showers, on at times quite gusty winds!! The far NW looking quite dire. UKMO, GFS, ICON and GEM all singing from the same sheet at day 6. Pretty mundane stuff if you ask me... 

UW144-21.gif

gfs-0-144.png

icon-0-144.png

gem-0-144.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰
7 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

^^ Indeed the important part of the interaction of the deep low in the atlantic & block to the NE ~144 is that the jet energy is still inclined NW > SE ... So a slightly milder more mobile pattern reflected in the midterm- however with residual heights located over the pole there is a higher probability of a cold outbreak post day 8/9 than there is a draw from the south....

NB ECM performance been very poor of late - very progressive...

Certainly some interesting charts being churned out by the ensembles...

gensnh-7-1-228.thumb.png.9f5763f90869397eb765c68f3cc0ca54.png  anim_pjb7.thumb.gif.e82691a6d1379840839d4185133e7c0a.gif  anim_kds1.thumb.gif.4798edcb090317f5e0c13d48216dd6a9.gif   gensnh-15-5-384.thumb.png.542370958825d5db0327bf9661450a49.png  gensnh-17-1-324.thumb.png.938d20e3de54fba42fd1352a1a6fe5d2.png 

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW
17 minutes ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

Certainly some interesting charts being churned out by the ensembles...

gensnh-7-1-228.thumb.png.9f5763f90869397eb765c68f3cc0ca54.png  anim_pjb7.thumb.gif.e82691a6d1379840839d4185133e7c0a.gif  anim_kds1.thumb.gif.4798edcb090317f5e0c13d48216dd6a9.gif   gensnh-15-5-384.thumb.png.542370958825d5db0327bf9661450a49.png  gensnh-17-1-324.thumb.png.938d20e3de54fba42fd1352a1a6fe5d2.png 

Imagine those charts spilling out in late December to Mid January??  i dare say some would still no be happy.

• Like 4

Posted
12 minutes ago, bigsnow said:

Imagine those charts spilling out in late December to Mid January??  i dare say some would still no be happy.

I would say folks would be even less happy if those charts aren't being spilled out come then! 

• Like 6

Posted

Was going to replie to David... Mr frosts post, but appears to have gone missing! The ECM op was a little severe with the fall in pressure, and also with the temperatures. Low pressure looks more focused to the North on the mean, and subtle signs of an increase in pressure to the South towards the end!! All along way off though. 

EDM1-144.gif

EDM1-168.gif

EDM1-192.gif

EDM1-216.gif

EDM1-240.gif

graphe_ens3.png

graphe_ens3 (1).png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!
8 minutes ago, Mattwolves said:

Was going to replie to David... Mr frosts post, but appears to have gone missing! The ECM op was a little severe with the fall in pressure, and also with the temperatures. Low pressure looks more focused to the North on the mean, and subtle signs of an increase in pressure to the South towards the end!! All along way off though. 

EDM1-144.gif

EDM1-168.gif

EDM1-192.gif

EDM1-216.gif

EDM1-240.gif

graphe_ens3.png

graphe_ens3 (1).png

Knew I should have left out the chat of previous severe Winters! 

ECM 144 to 240

anim_inf2.gif

@Mattwolves great post above - that sounds a much better outlook than the op. Let’s hope you are spot on.

• Like 3