Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2019.How was it for you? Vote Twice.

sunnijim

How was Summer for you?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Your preference and Traditional

• Summer traditional above average
    • Summer traditional average
    • Summer traditional below average
    • Summer personal preference above average
    • Summer personal preference average
    • Summer personal preference below average

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

With only a couple of days left of Summer,views on it as usual will vary wildly depending on where you 'hang your hat' and your preference for Summer weather.

I think sometimes views on above average and below average for Summer or Winter can be skewed with expectancy of all wanting bitter cold and snow or long hot summer days.

So grading the summer here on your preference and the traditional view of a summer 'success' i.e warmth and sunshine for where you live might work well?

As a SouthEast Englander my view on the period between June and September is overall positive in terms of what I want from a Summer.

I prefer Summer with heatwaves interspersed with storms,so my view on it is based on those criteria.

A lack of thunderstorms a negative for sure,but two spells of incredible heat as a positive with a general trend of warmth and sunshine on the Sussex coast.

Notable collapses with Autuminal conditions mid August and some of June put this Summer in the Average category for personal preference and the traditional view.

Edited by sunnijim
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer

The memorable part of the summer for me is living in Manchester and watching the late July thunderstorm at 2.00am and it was still 25C outside. And then it was 34C the following day with the worst humid weather Ive felt. Just shows that severe heatwaves are not always going to be 'London Only' events and they also seem to be occurring more frequently.

The record breaking upper 850s are what the weather experts will be studying and why UK saw such extreme 850s and when they are most likely to be occurring again.

Also just shows what to expect from heatwaves if such a synoptic pattern got locked in for longer and how uncomfortable it will be at nights, and with so many summers now frequently getting temperatures in the mid 30s its only a matter of time before something really extreme and severe gets stuck in a locked pattern.

I also think that the prolonged negative NAO this summer could be responsible for the record breaking heat.

Its also worth noting that the previous July temp record (36.7) was set in 2015 so it was only four years old before it went. And even before that the record was 9 years old (36.5 in 2006).   

• Like 1

Posted

Perth, Scotland

For me it was a decent summer. Probably on par with the likes of 1997, 1999, 2005, 2009 and 2014. Not as good as 1995, 2003, 2006, 2013 and 2018 but not as bad as 2002, 2007, 2008, 2012 and 2015. It took a while to get going. Most of June was pretty dismal in the first half although the last 10 days were very pleasant with it not getting too hot and with  plenty of sunshine. June overall was slightly cooler and sunnier than average with rainfall about average. July continued quite unsettled but there was a fine spell in the second week with a bit of a thundery breakdown and the second half while being beautiful weather wise was at times unbearably humid. We had temperatures close to 20.C overnight on two occasions which has never happened before. Was quite surprised it ended up slightly duller than average however. August was very nice in the first and last weeks but very wet inbetween expected it to be a wet month but not quite as wetter as overall figures suggested. Though I would say August was probably the best since about 2005/2006. 

I would rate the summer overall as a 7/10 not as good as summer 2018 but a lot better than some recent summers.

Posted

A decent summer. June was rather cool and wet but had a warm up at the end of the month. July was a very good month. Mostly warm and dry. August was fairly mixed with a lot of rain but when it got hot, it was hot!

Glad to have seen two thunderstorms this year, and glad it hasn't been a carbon copy of 2018 which was just too much.  

Personal preference - cool and wet! I do long for a 2007 / 2012 summer!  

Summer was OK weather wise ~ not too much heat, not too rainy. Manchester summers can be just rain rain rain so it wont take much to improve on that. Shame about lack of any real good storms. We have had a few come over but mostly of the flash bang wallop variety as part of fast moving systems.

To sit out and watch a lightening show would be terrific.

A colleage from Eastern Europe is not a happy bunny ~ nobody told him about the Manchester weather! He is used to long hot summer days relaxing and watching the horses and carts go by....

Speaking of horses, Heaton Park has its own animals (apart from the ducks, geese, swans, coots,moorhens, herons, terns, pidgeons, crows and seagulls of course) with a mini petting zoo including a pair of barmy Peacocks. Plus great playgrounds for the kiddies

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

It was a fairly good summer on the whole. June was a letdown, July was a massive improvement and August turned out to be the best of the lot.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

here in Alberta it was one of the coolest and wettest summers on record..we seem to be hitting or getting close to a lot of cool/cold records over the last 2-3 years when the rest of the world is warming..strange

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Since the last week of June better than average here...mainly sunny (dry spells) and warmer than average with some briefer unsettled breezy interludes 6.5/10

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

As I spend my time between London and Prague, I’ll rate each.

London - June wasn’t great as there was plenty of rain and some very chilly days where it didn’t get above 13C! But the month saw a better end. July was much better, generally, with some notable heat. August was mainly reasonable with some warmer temperatures and less rain than average but with average sunshine. Over all score: 7/10

Prague - June was hot with above average sunshine and some great thunderstorms. July had a cooler and nondescript first half but the last two weeks were very warm with notable hot days. August was mainly fine and warm with some decent thundery outbreaks and more rain than July. Over all score: 9/10

Edited by stainesbloke

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Interesting findings here,especially the Summer traditional category falling into the average for the majority that voted so far.

Figures recently released by the M.O show that only parts of the South and East had below average rainfall,with the majority of the UK getting a wet summer overall.

As Summer official draws to a close,with warm summer skies again today,that will be my abiding memory of the summer 2019,generally summerlike.

Edited by sunnijim

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
On 04/09/2019 at 21:18, nn2013 said:

Personal preference - cool and wet! I do long for a 2007 / 2012 summer!  

If I had to be choosy I’d go for 1st-19th June 2007, 20th-30th June 2012, 1st-20th July if either as both were diabolical, 21st-31st July 2012, and August 2012. The Julys of both were pretty poor but 2012 at least had a summery last third. June 2007 was more thundery and, while unsettled, August 2012 was the best month of that summer.

Re this summer, I think it balances out as average here, purely by pulling together extremes of wet (1st half of June), dry (late June and July), sunshine and temps. I recorded my coldest June day ever. August was, again, the least notable month - it’s never great or awful, although the first and final third were often fine and warm or hot. Just a shame the weather didn’t cooperate with key Bristol events, namely the harbour festival on 19th-21st July and balloon fiesta on 08th-11th August. Then again, Glastonbury was bone dry for once and the August bank holiday was lovely, better than 2017. Finally, it was also good to record some thunder this year. The real treat was that superb lightning storm that started late on my birthday (23/07) and went into the 24th.

Next year, I would like a much better June, more sunshine overall and a few more thunderstorms. Temperature wise it was a nice summer this year after the chilly May and start to June.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

From an objective point of view i consider it a near average summer here. The 20th June-August 30th period was largely normal with the heat events within it being offset by a horrific start to the summer with the 1st-20th June period being every bit on par with the horror shows. 

In terms of personal preference i enjoyed the 1st June-20th July period because i'm fine with poor summer weather and then afterwards it became quite nice (sunny but but not humid or especially hot) however i did find that the 20th July-30th August period varied between outright hot to overly humid and dull. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot

Poor summer, June even colder than June 1962 and that's saying something.  Two weeks of thick cloud, heavy rain and sub-10C day temps (in June!!!).  Other than three hot days, July was nothing to write home about.  August,like recent Augusts, was taste of Autumn. Days with a stationery front sitting over the Merseyside area. Again like July, three hot days at the end.  So that was Summer 2019: six hot days, the rest pretty well excremental. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

From my perspective it wasn't too bad. Had a few pretty uncomfortable hot humid days but I could count them on one hand. So it didn't last long. Unlike last year which was hot for most of the Summer. Very boring. I'm glad this Summer had no repeat of the moorland fires. The land needed a break from prolonged dry weather.

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 1

Posted

Summer was a solid 6 here.

start of June, well in-fact a large portion of June was absolutely dire. 

July was lovely with a plume storm to boot. Record breaking heat was too much for me in my non air conditioned office.

August was pretty nice but I sort of lost interest towards the end as summer waned. A cracking bank holiday though.

It could’ve been better if the south actually generated any sort of significant convection but it has failed since April 2018 which is a year and a half now. Pretty boring all in all. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

June = cack, 0/10

July = OK, 6.5/10

August = very average 6/10

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

June started off nice and warm here, reaching 26.6°C on the 1st, made a turn for the worst then and after the 3rd it didn't reach 20°C until the 17th.. wet and unsettled in that period before it settled down and turned warmer in the last week. 33.6°C on the 29th... rate it 4/10 would've only been a 2 or 3 if we didn't have that warm up at the end

July was the best month of summer in my opinion, only 2 days failed to reach 20°C.. it was quite dry and we got up to 33.1°C on the 23rd and 34.4°C on the 25th... amazing overnight storms on the 23rd/24th here in the south with over 2 hours of crackling and flashing and quite torrential downpours at times. First proper thunderstorm/s since last summer imby.. 8/10

August was OK, I could say that it was better than some recent Augusts. It was pleasant and sunshine levels were close to average. A very warm Bank Holiday period 23rd to the 27th with a mean max temp of 29.2°C... reached 31.5°C on the 25th and 30.0°C on the 26th. 6/10

Although this summer was much cooler overall than last year, I commend it for the plume events we had each month, something than 2018 was missing. I would rate this summer on par or just above 2013, certainly better than 2017 but still under 2018 in this decade.

Edited by CheesepuffScott

Posted

I spent my August in Arizona @48C, nice slightly on the warm side but still nice. Sad that the Monsoon didn't arrive whilst I was there, but August was still "warm"... as for July no complaints some slightly warm temperatures, but that seems to be the way we are going these days. Not that I I agree with the lack of resolution from major powers.

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

A summer saved from the 'poor' list' only by the hot few days in July and the August bank holiday.Other than these hand full of hot days there is little to cheer about.A poor start but at least it was drier for the end of June into August.July was at best average and August yet again failed break the cycle we have seen since 2003,maybe we will never see another fantastic August again in fact there will be lots of members on this forum who have never experienced one.Overall very disappointing and not one week that was forcast very warm and dry in the whole summer.Some people may judge this summer much higher by being swayed by the few days of high temperatures but I certainly am not,5/10

Posted

It was a poor summer from my point of view. Chilly and cloudy June with a few hot days at the end, a good July with some very hot weather towards the middle of month, but poor for thunderstorms. London missed out on the storms this summer, and it was a letdown compared to 2018 on the storm front, when London seemed to do better in that department last summer.

August wasn’t great, but probably sunnier than most of the past decade. September has been the best month, following a poorish summer in terms of sunshine values.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

I put if down as average although I was possibly being rather generous as far as preference is concerned. 

June started badly with a cool, wet first half of the month but it improved later on in the month to leave a decent end to the month. July continued where June left off with plenty of dry and warm days although mostly pleasantly warm rather than any real heat, a notable exception being the one day it reached 30°C which it rarely does here. The only storm of the summer also occurred in July which produced a decent show. August was more mixed and not overly great but far from bad either. 

Overall not the best of summers but certainly not the worst.

Posted

A summer that came in fits and bursts but nothing sustained heat and sunshine/dry wise. First two thirds of June were very poor, lots of heavy rain, cloud and very cool maxima. I remember the 13th being especially chilly, 10 degrees much of the day. The last third was very good with lots of sunshine, very warm and dry.

July overall was quite ok, lots of dry sunny weather and it became very warm/locally hot for a time.

August dissapointing in the main, some shortlived late heat, but very wet.