Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow & Ice coverage in the Northern Hemisphere Winter 2019/20

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

Update from todays Masie...

Since the Friday update we have had a small increase of just (+15K Km2). This achieved by totals of (-80K, +5K and +45K) for the 3 days.

The totals hide a stopping of the Ice extending into Bering (-12K), due to the ending of the Northerly winds, but a big increase in the SOO (+56K) as the cold Northerly moved over into Siberia. 

On the Atlantic front gains have returned to Kara(+5K) and Greenland(+6K), but Barents(-6K) is still struggling.

Baffin(+20K) gained with the colder weather in North America.

The warmer conditions in the Atlantic front look to be ending and gains can be expected again over the next 2 days as strong NE sweep down into Barents again.

MIA

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather

Decrease in snow cover and little change in the sea ice cover.

cursnow_asiaeurope Snow & Ice Chart Monday 13th January 2020.gif

• Like 2

Posted

US NIC for Tuesday..

No real change in snow cover, but some larger changes in sea ice.

Little change  in Bering, but Barents (in particular) and Baffin and SOO are still growing quickly..

Barents (after a gain of 80K in the last 2 days, before today) looks as if it may fill in totally this year, The first time for 30years. 

Tomorrows Masie, will be watched with interest.

image.thumb.png.edaf59c05e162ca366b28e475c27c4f2.png

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Current blizzard in Vancouver City. Temp now -8c on the water front. Temps down to -47c on borders of BC/Alberta. My son will send some pictures at day break of the current snowfall.

C

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
3 hours ago, carinthian said:

Current blizzard in Vancouver City. Temp now -8c on the water front. Temps down to -47c on borders of BC/Alberta. My son will send some pictures at day break of the current snowfall.

C

RJS posted a response to me in Jan CET thread.  Proper arctic outbreak overthere entrenched.   Like mild is entrenched over here

BFTP 

• Like 2

Posted

As promised last night the Masie review  is good news.

A 3 day change of (+230K Km2), made up from (+42K, +97K and +92K) nearly 3 times the size for this time of year.

Whilst Bering continued to contract (-58K), SOO more than made up for it with (+71K).

The real 'star' was the Atlantic front with Barents up by (+129K) and Baffin(+78K) and even Central(+15K), as the winds turned once again towards the NE, and pushed back the warm waters from Scandinavia. Greenland returned no overall change.

The weather over the region is not forecast to change much over the next few days.

It now  looks as if the ice will bridge between the west coast of Novaya Zemlya and the main pack moving down from the north. This has rarely happened in the last decade.

Labrador is now icing rapidly, and the extreme edge of the ice has increased in Cooke Inlet (+6K), but the Yellow Sea (-10K) contracted.

Worth looking at the map below and zooming in to the maps at about 250 magnification.

https://nsidc.org/data/masie/  

https://nsidc.org/data/masie/masie_plots

Bye  for now..

MIA

• Like 3

Posted

The arctic is set to turn much colder from Barents Sea to Pacific ‘gateway’. This cold looks to entrench and I foresee it doing wonders, you would expect Barents Sea to freeze 100%, exceptional cold being modelled over northern Russia as PV transfers over, no normal winter a recovery of sorts?

C5659756-C085-40F3-9C40-1B6E11AD20F6.thumb.png.0c4a0cfc65cd693439fcd092fa28eca3.png5C4C4BE7-6A9C-4C48-9AAC-47A571D91A18.thumb.png.4585b6608c83cda783de5961ed06eddf.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
11 hours ago, carinthian said:

C

As promised , some pictures sent by my son out in Vancouver. Heaviest snowfall and coldest spell for some years.

C

82632580_2888623901195808_664532488386772992_o.jpg

82613452_2888624004529131_3676849127611695104_o.jpg

• Like 9

Posted
1 hour ago, Daniel* said:

The arctic is set to turn much colder from Barents Sea to Pacific ‘gateway’. This cold looks to entrench and I foresee it doing wonders, you would expect Barents Sea to freeze 100%, exceptional cold being modelled over northern Russia as PV transfers over, no normal winter a recovery of sorts?

C5659756-C085-40F3-9C40-1B6E11AD20F6.thumb.png.0c4a0cfc65cd693439fcd092fa28eca3.png5C4C4BE7-6A9C-4C48-9AAC-47A571D91A18.thumb.png.4585b6608c83cda783de5961ed06eddf.png

Daniel.... 

Its FI?

Still interesting because of the very cold temps returning to the eastern Arctic, a 12c anomaly is around -45C .... but Canada goes warm by the same amount.(-15C)!! 

Also there are  more 'uppers' around -30C to  -40C (greys and whites) than I remember for a few years.

Edited by Midlands Ice Age
  • Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

Daniel.... 

Its FI?

Still interesting because of the very cold temps returning to the eastern Arctic, a 12c anomaly is around -45C .... but Canada goes warm by thee same amount.!! 

Also there are  more uppers around -40C than I remember for a few years.

Nope it’s not tomorrow it will be 6 days out the trend is colder across models related to changes in strat. Begs the question we could see a very potent northerly.

33431BDB-CEC0-4508-9592-B0AD07BDEF9C.thumb.png.6f30d867a396dd4dd89063aca1a8830c.png 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper winter/Proper summer

When was last time Svalbard to North Scandinavia open water was frozen. I am new to this so if it’s a ridiculous question, let me know. 

15 hours ago, Daniel* said:

This cold looks to entrench and I foresee it doing wonders, you would expect Barents Sea to freeze 100%

No, you really wouldn't!

14 hours ago, Northwest NI said:

When was last time Svalbard to North Scandinavia open water was frozen. I am new to this so if it’s a ridiculous question, let me know. 

30th March 8000 B.C.

Posted

On 15/01/2020 at 22:27, Northwest NI said:

I took your question  at face value as it is interesting question and to monitor(and review and learn).

The total extent of Barents is open to question as the boundary during the 20th century was under dispute between Norway and Russia.  (political I am afraid). The answer according to Wikipedia is 1.405K Km2. 

I will use this as a measure of Barents being totally full. (whether that counts as being totally filled between Svalbard and Norway I am not certain). Probably 'yes' is the answer.

Also, the maximum for Barents is generally reached during early/mid March.  

Masie (DMI) goes back to 2004 and gives a good graphical display interface with which to track back to then

(earliest readings may be somewhat adjusted, and irregular)…..

http://ocean.dmi.dk/arctic/icethickness/thk.uk.php

If you want (and have Excel) you can download all the daily data for each year going back that far.

For TODAYS date this year is the highest since  about the same tine in 2004. 

The highest it has reached that I could see on DMI was 2010 when it was about 936K KM2 achieved early March.

However, going back to the late 20th century there is no doubt that there was more ice.

To access that you must go to the download pages from NSIDC, into a spreadsheet.

https://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/sea-ice-tools/

Their data goes back to 1979. (which pretty well appears to be the maxima for the second half of the 20th Century (as is shown by earlier satellites photographic evidence), and also reports going further  back according to Norwegian whalers which goes back into the early 20th century. 

So downloading the appropriate NSIDC file one can see that quite a few years (but not all) exceeded 1,000K Km2 extent during the 1980's, however  these numbers reduced quickly  in the 1990s.

The maximum monthly value  I have seen is the 1233K Km2 that was recorded for February/March of the first year - 1979.

This clearly indicates that Barents has not been 'full',  for 'recorded' history.

When might it have been 'full'?

Well Interitus could be correct (the last ice age), since there are indictiions that  the Atlantic portion of the Arctic was not so cold  during the Little Ice Age of the 17th - 18th Centuries.

Hope this note helps, and gives sufficient info for you to investigate an interesting topic further.

MIA

• Like 4

Posted

Whilst looking at the data -

Todays US NIC shows much the same with the snow cover expanding in Asia (but not yet into Europe).

Sea Ice is moving along with the same trends as per the last few days. 

Large increases in Barents (again), and Baffin and the SOO, but reductions in Bering.

MIA

image.thumb.png.b7bad9e75490d757e8bf229c1d7efda9.png

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

I took your question  at face value as it is interesting question and to monitor(and review and learn).

The total extent of Barents is open to question as the boundary during the 20th century was under dispute between Norway and Russia.  (political I am afraid). The answer according to Wikipedia is 1.405K Km2. 

I will use this as a measure of Barents being totally full. (whether that counts as being totally filled between Svalbard and Norway I am not certain). Probably 'yes' is the answer.

Also, the maximum for Barents is generally reached during early/mid March.  

Masie (DMI) goes back to 2004 and gives a good graphical display interface with which to track back to then

(earliest readings may be somewhat adjusted, and irregular)…..

http://ocean.dmi.dk/arctic/icethickness/thk.uk.php

If you want (and have Excel) you can download all the daily data for each year going back that far.

For TODAYS date this year is the highest since  about the same tine in 2004. 

The highest it has reached that I could see on DMI was 2010 when it was about 936K KM2 achieved early March.

However, going back to the late 20th century there is no doubt that there was more ice.

To access that you must go to the download pages from NSIDC, into a spreadsheet.

https://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/sea-ice-tools/

Their data goes back to 1979. (which pretty well appears to be the maxima for the second half of the 20th Century (as is shown by earlier satellites photographic evidence), and also reports going further  back according to Norwegian whalers which goes back into the early 20th century. 

So downloading the appropriate NSIDC file one can see that quite a few years (but not all) exceeded 1,000K Km2 extent during the 1980's, however  these numbers reduced quickly  in the 1990s.

The maximum monthly value  I have seen is the 1233K Km2 that was recorded for February/March of the first year - 1979.

This clearly indicates that Barents has not been 'full',  for 'recorded' history.

When might it have been 'full'?

Well Interitus could be correct (the last ice age), since there are indictiions that  the Atlantic portion of the Arctic was not so cold  during the Little Ice Age of the 17th - 18th Centuries.

Hope this note helps, and gives sufficient info for you to investigate an interesting topic further.

MIA

Delighted with that answer.

Thank you for taking the time.

• Like 1

Posted

Can now see what your saying. Even at its greatest extent in recorded history, 1979, still nowhere near “bridging” the Svalbard to Scandi gap.

Gulf Stream has a lot to answer for, and the fact that the North Atlantic is the only part of Northern Ice Cap exposed to open water from the tropics.

Looking at recorded history on this site, I wasn’t able to find any instances (even close) to the Greenland / Iceland gap being frozen either.

ice_extent_map 3.png

Edited by Northwest NI

Posted
1 hour ago, Northwest NI said:

Can now see what your saying. Even at its greatest extent in recorded history, 1979, still nowhere near “bridging” the Svalbard to Scandi gap.

Gulf Stream has a lot to answer for, and the fact that the North Atlantic is the only part of Northern Ice Cap exposed to open water from the tropics.

Looking at recorded history on this site, I wasn’t able to find any instances (even close) to the Greenland / Iceland gap being frozen either.

ice_extent_map 3.png

Greenland to Iceland bridge has been discussed on here before.

I will link to the discussions.

It seems as though the answer is that it last occurred in 1968, when Polar Bears were thought to have crossed..

https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/87431-ice-bridge-between-greenland-and-iceland/

MIA

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunder
4 hours ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

Whilst looking at the data -

Todays US NIC shows much the same with the snow cover expanding in Asia (but not yet into Europe).

Sea Ice is moving along with the same trends as per the last few days. 

Large increases in Barents (again), and Baffin and the SOO, but reductions in Bering.

MIA

image.thumb.png.b7bad9e75490d757e8bf229c1d7efda9.png

@Midlands Ice Age love reading your posts and have been especially interested in the Ozone levels you have been investigating. Was wondering what the current situation is? Is there still a pool developing over Siberia as I think you mentioned over the festive period (if I remember correctly)?

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

Greenland to Iceland bridge has been discussed on here before.

I will link to the discussions.

It seems as though the answer is that it last occurred in 1968, when Polar Bears were thought to have crossed..

https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/87431-ice-bridge-between-greenland-and-iceland/

MIA

From a link in that thread by Gael Force, it can be seen that the Greenland/Iceland gap was bridged in 1902, 1911. 1918 & 1938, sometimes curling right round the east coast of Iceland. That's as far back as i checked but really pleased to be able to access this information. Thanks to all who helped.

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Northwest NI said:

From a link in that thread by Gael Force, it can be seen that the Greenland/Iceland gap was bridged in 1902, 1911. 1918 & 1938, sometimes curling right round the east coast of Iceland. That's as far back as i checked but really pleased to be able to access this information. Thanks to all who helped.

I posted a few years back an Admiralty chart from  1941 and it showed maximum Winter sea extent stretching from Eastern Iceland to Northern Norway. A mere 70 years later and it's all water. 

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

I posted a few years back an Admiralty chart from  1941 and it showed maximum Winter sea extent stretching from Eastern Iceland to Northern Norway. A mere 70 years later and it's all water. 

That’s very interesting. Would you be able to recover and repost please?

Posted
55 minutes ago, John Stevens said:

@Midlands Ice Age love reading your posts and have been especially interested in the Ozone levels you have been investigating. Was wondering what the current situation is? Is there still a pool developing over Siberia as I think you mentioned over the festive period (if I remember correctly)?

Funnily enough I have spent 10 mins looking at the Ozone situation.

It seems to be that indeed the Ozone is 'pooling' over Siberia  at the moment. It has now more or less totally encircled the pole, whilst leaving the pole itself  out as exposed to the full force of the sun's rays. (If there were to be any at this time of the year.) - maybe the sun will shine in the stratosphere today at some point up there.!!

image.thumb.png.666c2c3b14c07f40fe7407b9e210f689.png

My second graph  is an  mp4 showing what happened to the Ozone last year.(winter 2018 - 2019)

https://ozonewatch.gsfc.nasa.gov/ozone_maps/movies/OZONE_D2018-11-01%P1D_G^360X240.IOMPS_PNPP_V21_MMERRA2_LNH.mp4

Run it through and you will see that into the middle of December things were much the same , but then (whereas last year it just spread out over the whole Arctic circle and remained there all winter into spring),  this year it has remained separated with a low value of Ozone (in comparison)  over the pole. This year is more like what has happened in most years in the past (however with what appears to be greater volumes of Ozone), so why did last year go the way it did?

It is not immediately obvious whether or not there is a link between it and the level of ice. But is it coincidence that we have more rapid ice growth (In terms of spread) this year, with the pole circled by Ozone in the stratosphere?

What might be occurring to the chemistry of the stratosphere over our pole?j

MIA

PS MS's post has suggested to me that maybe the AMO waxing and waning is having something to do with of the sea ice in the North Atlantic?

There again what causes the AMO to change?

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, Northwest NI said:

That’s very interesting. Would you be able to recover and repost please?

It's in an old war book somewhere in my house. I'll see if I can find it

• Like 1