Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow & Ice coverage in the Northern Hemisphere Winter 2019/20

Posted

Thanks, Midlands Ice Age. Will check that later.

Right can anybody tell me what level of snow NOAA maps report.

Climatereanalyser has shown snow in Mexico and southern Texas,  and Mississippi and Alabama for 3 days. It's not melted which is very unusual for this time of year but it has been exceptionally cold. It's also shown Nebraska and Tennessee completely covered for 3 days. However, NOAA has shown no snow in these areas. I've noticed slight differences before but not the huge difference we have this time.

ims2019317_usa.gif

There is definitely snow there so why does NOAA not pick it up? What's the point of posting NOAA images all the time to show where it has snowed if they are missing significant snow? There has been snow into the Deep South and Mexico but NOAA does not show it. They indicate about 20-25% US coverage while Climatereanalyser shows maybe 40%+. This is not a small difference!

18932197_G.png
WWW.NEWSCHANNELNEBRASKA.COM

Snow blankets much of the state after a roller coaster of November temperatures continues in Nebraska.
12-cold-weather-chicago.w1200.h630.jpg
NYMAG.COM

Records are being set as a brutal cold front sweeps across the country two weeks before Thanksgiving.
d064090b-5c53-4293-b626-0f3920102a90-lar
FOX17.COM

The National Weather Service said . 4" of snow fell in Nashville as of Monday night, something that on average only happens every 19. 3 years. NWS said this is the...

Edited by Aleman
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!

Both snow and ice pushing much deeper south than this point last year.

2018 -

image.thumb.png.811ce8b49132da104de5bf58f90b9ee4.png

2019 - 

image.thumb.png.77a77d48927478482921a034cf8ce445.png

Again we are still looking closer to 2010, in fact snow is more wholesale.

image.thumb.png.6cad754bb57c396ba0c3adb77a08f7af.png

I am starting to feel quite positive about this winter.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Polar lows are the dream

Net positive snow cover anomaly in the NH at the moment. Expect the reds in N and E Europe to grow in the next 7 - 10 days though, sadly, as warmer air moves north into this part of the world.

924524799_ScreenShot2019-11-14at09_18_31.thumb.png.a17b40d293a1745825f73314641b30c7.png

Hopefully the Kara will finish freezing before this happens...seems to be icing over mighty quick right now.

1407935990_ScreenShot2019-11-14at09_18_54.thumb.png.b7ddd848d07958db5d16c7b0e813e06d.png  238964996_ScreenShot2019-11-14at09_29_16.thumb.png.5614c58456cf73430aae47c2713a75c3.png

Interesting spell of weather coming up, with some signals for the PV to migrate over to the E. Siberian side of the pole in a week or so. Still seems quite a fluid situation so will be hard to predict where we'll be, in terms of a hemispheric pattern, as we approach December and winter proper...

1918938412_ScreenShot2019-11-14at09_27_15.thumb.png.a127eec97f8a6d04790328a651630531.png

Edited by Stravaiger
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

Thanks guys for your contributions above...

Aleman  -   certainly does seem odd that it is not picking up maybe an inch of snow?

We will be seeing shortly in the UK (I hope), what it takes to pick that level up.  

US nic  today shown several times already above.. 

Snow has expanded southwards in Central Southern Asia, so maybe cancelling out the 'red' anomalies there, elsewhere no real change shown. 

Kara is rapidly filling in the middle bit now..  Is it a race against the warmer weather?

Elsewhere gains again for Chukchi and Beaufort.  Baffin also continuing with its 'catchup'. 

Hudson,and Greenland continue to ice quite nicely now.     CAA is just filling up -   slowly.

Possible small losses in Barents and the ESS today.

My guess Is for an increase of about 70K Km2 - still above the now 50K Km2 average for the day.

Back later ...

MIA

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms
1 hour ago, Aleman said:

Thanks, Midlands Ice Age. Will check that later.

Right can anybody tell me what level of snow NOAA maps report.

Climatereanalyser has shown snow in Mexico and southern Texas,  and Mississippi and Alabama for 3 days. It's not melted which is very unusual for this time of year but it has been exceptionally cold. It's also shown Nebraska and Tennessee completely covered for 3 days. However, NOAA has shown no snow in these areas. I've noticed slight differences before but not the huge difference we have this time.

ims2019317_usa.gif

There is definitely snow there so why does NOAA not pick it up? What's the point of posting NOAA images all the time to show where it has snowed if they are missing significant snow? There has been snow into the Deep South and Mexico but NOAA does not show it. They indicate about 20-25% US coverage while Climatereanalyser shows maybe 40%+. This is not a small difference!

18932197_G.png
WWW.NEWSCHANNELNEBRASKA.COM

Snow blankets much of the state after a roller coaster of November temperatures continues in Nebraska.
12-cold-weather-chicago.w1200.h630.jpg
NYMAG.COM

Records are being set as a brutal cold front sweeps across the country two weeks before Thanksgiving.
d064090b-5c53-4293-b626-0f3920102a90-lar
FOX17.COM

The National Weather Service said . 4" of snow fell in Nashville as of Monday night, something that on average only happens every 19. 3 years. NWS said this is the...

Odd indeed, couldn't think for the life of me why that would be!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
16 minutes ago, SteveB said:

Odd indeed, couldn't think for the life of me why that would be!

Increased moisture-carrying capacity, due to the Arctic Amplification: warmer air carries more moisture? In this case, more snow?:oldgood:

Posted
1 hour ago, Ed Stone said:

Increased moisture-carrying capacity, due to the Arctic Amplification: warmer air carries more moisture? In this case, more snow?:oldgood:

Ed..

You are correct - to a certain extent. It does not explain why the whole of the northern hemisphere is seeing increased snowfall.

How far do you think that the moisture associated with 'Arctic Amplification' goes?

I have a map of the snowfall on Greenland which might give a clue.

Figure-3b_snowfall.png

It seems to be about 10-50 miles only.

Also , Interestingly Greenland does show a net snowfall gain over the last 12months, but only around the coasts, and this will  also not be picked up on the Rutgers map..

It must be realised that the Arctic is one of the driest places on earth. (along with Antarctica, and the deserts). So any increased Arctic moisture  cannot account for increased snowfall 1000 to 3000 miles away.

image.thumb.png.75254130b205cc37d9b6e292e240e2fe.png

Isn't it more suggestive of the temperatures where it is snowing in the lower latitudes.?

PS   I know about the Surface Mass Balance of Greenland, but that takes us off topic...... 

MIA

Edited by Midlands Ice Age
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather

The sea ice is continue to increase but the snow seems to have stalled in Russia.

cursnow_asiaeurope Snow & Ice Chart Asia & Europe Wednesday 13th November 2019.gif

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

Ed..

You are correct - to a certain extent. It does not explain why the whole of the northern hemisphere is seeing increased snowfall.

How far do you think that the moisture associated with 'Arctic Amplification' goes?

I have a map of the snowfall on Greenland which might give a clue.

Figure-3b_snowfall.png

It seems to be about 10-50 miles only.

Also , Interestingly Greenland does show a net snowfall gain over the last 12months, but only around the coasts, and this will  also not be picked up on the Rutgers map..

It must be realised that the Arctic is one of the driest places on earth. (along with Antarctica, and the deserts). So any increased Arctic moisture  cannot account for increased snowfall 1000 to 3000 miles away.

image.thumb.png.75254130b205cc37d9b6e292e240e2fe.png

Isn't it more suggestive of the temperatures where it is snowing in the lower latitudes.?

PS   I know about the Surface Mass Balance of Greenland, but that takes us off topic...... 

MIA

Well, three factors (which pass the obligatory test of being consistent with the observed fact of global warming) spring to mind: the aforementioned Arctic Amplification, quasi-random synoptic fluctuation, and the current Solar minimum...There will, most likely, be several others, however...?

And, anything mooted, that's not consistent with reality, should be jettisoned at the earliest opportunity...:oldgood:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

Here's one for you @Midlands Ice Age 

_109663459_ystrad.jpg
WWW.BBC.COM

People in some areas are told to "only go out if absolutely necessary" amid two weather warnings.

• Like 6

Posted

Going by number of white pixels, we are 11% up compared to this time in 2010 and 2.5% up compared to this time last year.

• Like 3

Posted

Thanks for the above Liltbrockie(?)

How did you count the pixels?

As for  the 'tipoff' from KW..

At least it is now being looked at and researched. Is it coincidence that the hole and the open ocean are coincident(!) ….

However  - they have not yet picked up that 'atop' of all that is the very high levels of ozone.

I will check the current Ozone levels out again later.

I now come back to my reporting on the Masie figures.

Once again I under estimated the growth!!!  I must give up guessing.

Yet another century increase of +117K Km2. Double the seasonal average value.

As applicable to the discussion above - guess where the large increases are?   

Yep...you guessed it. No less than Beaufort(+54K) and Chukchi(+23K).              That is well over halve the rise recorded.

What did I say about the sst's having a chance to cool  down?  I really do think that the stratospheric anomaly in ozone is having some effect on the  surface readings coming from the area.

It does seem to me that the alleged slow down in the ice refreeze may be incorrectly based. Closer examination of Masie in Chukchi shows large amounts of scattered ice. This is a signal for a quicker refreeze coming up - not slower.

Elsewhere, large gains in Kara(+22K), Baffin(+11K) and Hudson(+19K)   - all expected.

Small losses in Bering(-3K, I thought the loss would be classed as ESS), and a larger loss in Barents(-9K) - again expected.

This latter may be more significant as the ice front was pushed slightly north around Svalbard.

MIA

• Like 1

Posted

I realise that this isn't particularly interesting as lowland England has also seen snow this week, but Valence, at just 100m in the Rhone valley and known as where the south of France starts, has seen an unusual November snowfall.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Harve said:
t Valence, at just 100m in the Rhone valley and known as where the south of France starts, has seen an unusual November snowfall.

Also known as the place where the traffic jam to your holiday destination starts

• Like 4

Posted
norway-snow-nov-6-2019.png
WATCHERS.NEWS

State meteorologists warn that slippery road conditions could get worse as the season's first major snowfall in southern Norway...

• Like 4

Posted
16 hours ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

Thanks for the above Liltbrockie(?)

How did you count the pixels?

Photoshop -> select colour range, all white pixels... then view the histogram tool and it will tell you have many pixels are selected...

Edited by liltbrockie
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

This is developing incredibly so far with the unusual Synoptics around too, cold records getting well broken from US to Scandinavia, unexpected early snowfall in lowland locations, the very rapid snow expanse last week of Oct.  The refreeze has been nothing less than startling.....very least sit up and look!  For me it’s linked to the solar cycle and the deep minima we continue to enter (and not just this Schwabe minima of cycle 24 we are in) but the projected and anticipated deepening  Grand Minima we have entered.  Keep up the reports guys.....fascinating watch this

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather

There has been decreases in snow cover for Scandinavia and for Russia but the sea ice is still steadily increasing.

cursnow_asiaeurope Snow & Ice Chart Asia & Europe Thursday 14th November 2019.gif

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.
On 13/11/2019 at 22:58, Midlands Ice Age said:

The diff map on  Rutgers itself shows that 2019 is also running above average -

image.png 

The data itself shows that Oct 2019 was in 5th position out of 52 in the rankings of the years.

MIA

To be fair that's quite impressive. Top 5 from 52 perhaps suggests more than an eye brow raising moment. Which years sit in the top 4? Any others from the "modern" era?

Posted

Morning all...

Just noticed a big increase in snow over the French Alps  and Spain this morning.. Also that the snow line has now reached the Pacific. So the whole mass has moved Eastward.

US nic this morning - thanks to Katrine for posting the graphic....

A general increase in ice cover with only Barents looking to lose out, Southern Kara is rapidly filling in, but Northern Kara was reduced somewhat by the movement of the polar ice cap slightly north.

Large increases in both Beaufort(if not already full!) and Chukchi again, despite the warm temperatures shown there.

This morning we have some information from the Mosaic project...

It seems that they were buffeted a storm for 3 -4 days from around the 10th of November and hence communication was negligible.

A very latest  report has shown that the temperature in the area has increased to round -14C this week. So an increase of around 7 -10  degrees has occurred.

Back later with more data.

MIA

• Like 3

Posted

Looking at the coming 2m temperatures it will be getting very cold above that big gap in the Chucksi region too, so much more gains to be expected from Monday on in that area 

@Midlands Ice Age

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Long warm summer evenings. Cold frosty sunny winter days.
4 hours ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

This is developing incredibly so far with the unusual Synoptics around too, cold records getting well broken from US to Scandinavia, unexpected early snowfall in lowland locations, the very rapid snow expanse last week of Oct.  The refreeze has been nothing less than startling.....very least sit up and look!  For me it’s linked to the solar cycle and the deep minima we continue to enter (and not just this Schwabe minima of cycle 24 we are in) but the projected and anticipated deepening  Grand Minima we have entered.  Keep up the reports guys.....fascinating watch this

Absolutely agree Blast. What people need to understand is that cycles 21 and 22 where 2 of the most active probably since the medieval warm period and cycle 23 started the process we are in. It is no coincidence that the ozone hole and the whole issue of warming from the late 60's occurred during cycle 21/22. I believe we are in for a period of Dalton winters over the coming 5 years. I also believe the rainfall etc is due to the cloud seeding effect of cosmic rays which could therefore increase  snowfall in winter. The 15/20 years are going to change how we understand the influencers on climatic patterns and actually realise the strength of the solar cycles is what determines the deviation from what may be classed as normal

• Like 7

Posted
downedtreesa.jpg
PHYS.ORG

Heavy snowfall across a large swath of southeast France has left one person dead and cut power to some 300,000 homes, with icy...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms
33 minutes ago, jonboy said:

Absolutely agree Blast. What people need to understand is that cycles 21 and 22 where 2 of the most active probably since the medieval warm period and cycle 23 started the process we are in. It is no coincidence that the ozone hole and the whole issue of warming from the late 60's occurred during cycle 21/22. I believe we are in for a period of Dalton winters over the coming 5 years. I also believe the rainfall etc is due to the cloud seeding effect of cosmic rays which could therefore increase  snowfall in winter. The 15/20 years are going to change how we understand the influencers on climatic patterns and actually realise the strength of the solar cycles is what determines the deviation from what may be classed as normal

Totally and wholeheartedly agree with this. What has happened this year in the southern hemisphere winter and Spring, with Australia and New Zealand having there snowiest springs for over 40yrs, and parts of South American, especially Chile also having colder than average springs. It's now the Northern hemisphere experiencing cold and snowy starts to Autumn/Winter. It certainly should start raising some eyebrows, with regards to which way temperatures are heading over the coming years! 

Interesting times indeed. 

Edited by SteveB
  • Like 1

Posted
33 minutes ago, jonboy said:

But there's a wooly mammoth in the room: your personal beliefs are a zillion miles away from being backed-up by a substantial body of evidential science...?

Bugger! I should have started this post with: 'What those who've studied neither astrophysics nor solar physics, as an undergraduate, need to understand is...'

• Like 1