Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Would you rather it was cool and sunny or warm and cloudy?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold

If you had to choose between it being, say, 17° and Partly Cloudy with a stiff westerly breeze, or 22° and Overcast with light winds, which would you choose and why?

Do you prefer it how it's been this week (when its not been raining) ie cool, sunny, breezy or how it was at the start of August (warm but mostly cloudy)?

A lot of people on here seem to be more bothered about temperatures than sunshine totals, but I've seen a couple of people complaining about the apparent lack of sunshine in London this summer, despite it being quite a warm summer temperature-wise.

However, in real life, people seem to be more bothered about the sunshine than the apparent temperature. Take today for example - it was very cool this morning in Manchester but I saw lots of people in shorts and t-shirts. Thursday here was mostly sunny but quite windy and very cool and just 15°C. Yet I saw quite a few in summer clothes. 

Yet I remember a week last Friday when it was warm but cloudy and wet, I saw quite a few in thick coats despite the temperature being above 20°C!

There's also been many days when it's been cool temps but when the suns come out people have gone "the suns come out, it's boiling now" but when it's been warm temps but overcast people have complained about the gloom.

I think I prefer it warm and cloudy over cool and sunny, because you can wear light clothing without being reliant on the sun for warmth. Whereas if it's cool and sunny, and you're only wearing a t-shirt and shorts because of the sun, as soon as the sun goes in or the wind gets up, you're going to feel a chill.

Also, cloud is good at holding heat in at night, which means that temperatures don't suddenly plummet as soon as the sun goes down. 

A rather odd question I know, but I'd be interested to know which people prefer.

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

Much much prefer cool and sunny rather then warm and cloudy . Same in winter, love clear cold frosty weather, hate cloudy mild winter weather. I also like seeing the temps drop in clear weather during the evening and night .

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

Give me cool and sunny any day! :oldgood:
But if its got to be grey, then let it be misty and foggy, as at least mist and fog are atmospheric. :oldsmile:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

22 with cloud. Similar to room temperature. If it's scattered clouds and 17 degrees I find it feels instantly cold as soon as the sun goes behind a cloud.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
49 minutes ago, Thundershine said:

22 with cloud. Similar to room temperature. If it's scattered clouds and 17 degrees I find it feels instantly cold as soon as the sun goes behind a cloud.

Aye, notice the nip now at this time of year, cooler when it's sunny/clear mornings/evenings

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

In summer, 22c and cloudy. It has to at least feel warm or humid in summer.

Save the sunny 17c and breezy days for October where they belong.

I might take a 22c average for August as long as it was sunny - say 250 hours - rather than a 24c average with barely 170 hours of sun like we seem to get these days.

Edited by B87

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm, sunny summers

Cool and sunny any day. Couldn't care about temperature as long as it's sunny. Cloudy and cool, warm and cloudy... muck!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Just trying to work out how many questions you have asked there? I would always pick' cool and sunny'  and the reason is because the sun naturally boosts your serotonin levels that make you feel better and certainly is the case for me.It also emits radiant heat which makes the day feel much warmer than the background temperature,hence why it does feel much cooler when it disappears behind a cloud and why stonework or objects in the sunshine can feel warm even on a February day.The big spanner in the works for me would be wind,it really can ruin a day especially here in the pennines.In the valley bottoms it can be tropical where people have shorts and shirt off ,yet venture on to the hill tops it can be so windy you have to put on a sweater so in this instance I would have to choose cloudy and calm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Tricky one, but sunshine hands down for me. I always get the feeling of 'what a waste' when it's warm but cloudy. However, when the sun is shining when it's cooler, I see it as a sort of bonus. Not only this, but one can catch the sun too while the sun also makes it feel less cool anyway.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

17C and sunny for me over any higher temperature with full cloud cover.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Cold and cloudy for me, as little sunshine, as much precipitation and as low temperatures as possible at any time of the year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
19 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Cold and cloudy for me, as little sunshine, as much precipitation and as low temperatures as possible at any time of the year.

Err... That wasn't an option!

Posted
56 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

So, this would be a pretty ideal climate for you then:

hylMxZ9.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
2 minutes ago, Thundershine said:

So, this would be a pretty ideal climate for you then:

hylMxZ9.png

Ha Ha Ha, how did you do that???  -   if i was being hyper critical i would like the average high to be a few degrees lower as some of that precipitation might turn sleety otherwise!

• Like 1

Posted

You can make a wikipedia sandbox,then copy location's climate box template with your own values entered into it.

• Like 2