Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Most Impressive Temperature Record

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

Now that the 38.7c has been confirmed, what do members feel is the most impressive / difficult to achieve temperature record recorded in this country?

Just a few to start - please add any I've missed or you would like to discuss. 

Winter High - 21.6c 

Winter Low - -27.2c 

Summer High - 38.7c

April High - 29.1c

October High - 29c

September High 35c

Personally I find the recent winter record fairly incredible, given the amount we beat the record by. I think until we reach 40c in summer, it will be my number one. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

Can anyone tell me please .. Is there an official record for the hottest outright night time temp in the UK ?
I know there are highest minimum ones recorded for nights.
I was wondering if the Donna Nook 'heat burst', taking the temp. up to 32° C around 10pm might be a contender ?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

It seems now that high temps are easy to beat and are happening on a regular basis.Cold ones however are much more difficult.For me there are a couple of 'Freaks' which may never be beaten.

1.     -22.8 deg on March 14th 1958. The coldest temp after this date is -17.2 and you have to go all but 3 weeks earlier to find a colder temp of -25 deg on 23 rd February

2.     -23.3 deg on 14th November 1919,the coldest before that date is -12.8 deg,after that date you have to go 3 weeks later for the amazing -26.7 of 3rd December and even that is the only colder temp until 4 weeks later of Mid December.This truly is a temperature record in a place it has no right to be.

3.   Another notable is 34.4 deg of  3rd June 1947,you have to go to the end of june to find anything hotter

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.
11 minutes ago, hillbilly said:

It seems now that high temps are easy to beat and are happening on a regular basis.Cold ones however are much more difficult.For me there are a couple of 'Freaks' which may never be beaten.

1.     -22.8 deg on March 14th 1958. The coldest temp after this date is -17.2 and you have to go all but 3 weeks earlier to find a colder temp of -25 deg on 23 rd February

2.     -23.3 deg on 14th November 1919,the coldest before that date is -12.8 deg,after that date you have to go 3 weeks later for the amazing -26.7 of 3rd December and even that is the only colder temp until 4 weeks later of Mid December.This truly is a temperature record in a place it has no right to be.

3.   Another notable is 34.4 deg of  3rd June 1947,you have to go to the end of june to find anything hotter

Beat me to it! Was going to mention both of these. Worth mentioning that the 3rd June 1947 holds the record for the hottest recorded daily CET in June. Quite something when you consider that June is a month that warms as it progresses. Not even 1976 had an answer!

2 hours ago, Radiating Dendrite said:

Now that the 38.7c has been confirmed, what do members feel is the most impressive / difficult to achieve temperature record recorded in this country?

Just a few to start - please add any I've missed or you would like to discuss. 

Winter High - 21.6c 

Winter Low - -27.2c 

Summer High - 38.7c

April High - 29.1c

October High - 29c

September High 35c

Personally I find the recent winter record fairly incredible, given the amount we beat the record by. I think until we reach 40c in summer, it will be my number one. 

The April record is actually 29.4C set in 1949. Made remarkable because it was set on the 16th and not at the backend of the month.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

I forgot to mention the September record of 35.6 deg,not only do you have to go 2 weeks earlier to find equivalent heat in the south east ,it is also in the top 10 hottest temperatures recorded and the only one outside summer made even more remarkable that it is set in Doncaster,Yorkshire,

Edited by hillbilly
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms
9 hours ago, Beverley Lass said:

Can anyone tell me please .. Is there an official record for the hottest outright night time temp in the UK ?
I know there are highest minimum ones recorded for nights.
I was wondering if the Donna Nook 'heat burst', taking the temp. up to 32° C around 10pm might be a contender ?

i reckon the Donna Nook "heatburst" with 32c around midnight will be a record, but Im not sure they have records like that, usually just overnight minimum.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006
9 hours ago, Relativistic said:

Beat me to it! Was going to mention both of these. Worth mentioning that the 3rd June 1947 holds the record for the hottest recorded daily CET in June. Quite something when you consider that June is a month that warms as it progresses. Not even 1976 had an answer!

The April record is actually 29.4C set in 1949. Made remarkable because it was set on the 16th and not at the backend of the month.

Yes, I was getting muddled with the April max from last year. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons
31 minutes ago, vizzy2004 said:

i reckon the Donna Nook "heatburst" with 32c around midnight will be a record, but Im not sure they have records like that, usually just overnight minimum.

Yes, that's what I'd like to know for sure .. is a night time outright max ever officially recorded ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

most difficult to achieve temp record is of course anything cold in Dec to Feb, either lowest min or max,

easiest is warm temp records Dec to Feb

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme
2 hours ago, Beverley Lass said:

Yes, that's what I'd like to know for sure .. is a night time outright max ever officially recorded ?

As the meteorological day runs from 0900 to 0900 a high night temperature, if it was higher than the temperature recorded during the daytime, would just appear in the record as the maximum for the day, perhaps with a side note to say that it occurred at night. This often happens in winter, on a much less impressive scale, when cold air during the day is replaced by warmer air from the west overnight. If a very high temperature occurred at night but was lower than the maximum during the day it wouldn't appear in the records at all unless the observer made a specific note of it. 

There are definitely records of highest minima but off the top of my head I can't remember the current record, around 24c I think. If the 32c at Donna Nook was the highest temperature of the day it would be recorded as the maximum for that day regardless of the time of its occurrence. The minimum for the day would then be the lowest temperature recorded in the 24 hours, also regardless of the time of occurrence.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
2 hours ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

most difficult to achieve temp record is of course anything cold in Dec to Feb, either lowest min or max,

easiest is warm temp records Dec to Feb

Lately it definitely is.

• Like 1

Posted

For me, having experienced it personally (nearby) and as it was so long ago, it's the succession of of 35.5°C and 35.6°C on 28th. and 29th. June 1976 respectively at Southampton Mayflower Park. Torro Daily extremes site says it was the 27 and 28th but the MIDAS-OPEN UK Met Office daily temperature obs spreadsheets say otherwise.

If we not unreasonably exclude the asterisked Camden Square maximum of 35.6 with reservations, on June 29, 1957, the UK June record was broken on 28/6/76 and then again on the following day at the same site, and the record is still intact.

Even when the record is broken, as within a few years it is sure to be, that 2 day sequence at the same station may not be - and the longer sequences as below will stay in the memory long after that.

Jun 27 34.9
Jun 28 35.5
Jun 29 35.6
Jun 30 32.2
Jul 01 32.1
Jul 02 32.6

Not bad for the same station, so near the south coast.

Edited by DaveL
  • Like 2

Posted
19 hours ago, Relativistic said:

That to me was very impressive. It's really odd how the highest maxima  ever recorded during April  are not at the end of the month. Highest maximum ever recorded during the last 5 days of April is just 26.1C and that was on the 30th. That is only 1C or so above March's highest ever maximum.

19.7C on 13th February 1998 was very impressive as well

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fog

-5.6 in Santon Downham in June 1962  in and -9.4 in nearby Lynford in May 1941 are quite impressive. I doubt we'll see lower May/June temps again any time soon in southern England.

• Like 2

Posted

I was quite surprised throughout July as how warm it was late on in the evenings. My area didn’t record any record breaking heat during the day but it was exceptionally warm at night.

23rd: The maximum was 26.1.C which isn’t anywhere near the record but it wasn’t recorded until at 7:20pm at night where as the noon reading was 24.0.C and 3pm was 25.2.C. The 10pm reading wasn’t 24.3.C, midnight was 20.8.C before falling to 17.5.C at 5am.

25th: A high of 21.7.C was measured at midnight and the low fell to just 18.6.C at 5:30am it was still 20.C at 2am. Before rising to 22.6.C at 7:30am and 24.6.C at 10am.

I believe the highest July minimum in my area before hand was around 17.C in 2006. 

• Like 1