Jump to content

Storms and Convective discussion - 28th July 2019 onwards


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Had a huge storm yesterday afternoon.

Picture of last nights supercell in Edinburgh taken from portobello beach 

Satellite infra red imagery from the early hours of this morning showed quite a dark core for the low pressure system out in the bay of Biscay. I would take this to show that the low pressure system w

Posted Images

1 minute ago, P-M said:

So skies are brightening again. Looks like that's it unless any more cells form from now? Not sure what the forecast is for the rest of the night. 

 

I forecast a better night's sleep.:oldlaugh:

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, P-M said:

At least you tried. Sunderland / Peterlee areas must have taken a hammering I can still hear the constant thunder 

Looks that way. Shame there isn't more to come.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Carl said:

I'll have to read up on that.

Never heard anything like it.

Generally only found around Supercells and make no mistake that cell that went SE Of Durham and over Peterlee was a definate Supercell even on our cruddy radars we have in this country. Had it been on Radarscope or GRLevel3 in the States we would have been marvelling at a Right Splitting Supercell.

I just hope somebody got the right side of it so we can see the structure. The Hail Roar we get out in the States lasts for around 5-10 mins and generally someone up wind gets clobbered with some larger stones than the surrounding area.

Most of the stones in the picture below from last week when we were in Colorado were around 2.5" to 3" and we heard the Roar before we got to the location, all other areas around only had 1" Stones.

IMG_20190814_182537.thumb.jpg.f5233fcd49dc1cde49d7806c66fc8b46.jpg

IMG_20190814_182800.thumb.jpg.573321ffaf2357ffc13490577c906880.jpg

So it sounds like the description was for Hail Roar from a Bonafide Supercell

 

  • Like 8
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, P-M said:

Honestly the thunder sound is proper weird too must be horrendous directly under it as it's constant there's no let up. 

Yeah it did sound weird, maybe it was because of the distance, or maybe the terrain having an impact.  I was impressed by the structure of the cell though-makes me wonder how much stronger it could have been with the right ingredients

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been watching the storm front moving up from Peterborough for the last hour, it stretches up the east lincs coast, it appears if it maintains strength and direction I will be in direct line within the next hour. Still rumbling around and is very still and muggy.

LO

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Paul Sherman said:

Generally only found around Supercells and make no mistake that cell that went SE Of Durham and over Peterlee was a definate Supercell even on our cruddy radars we have in this country. Had it been on Radarscope or GRLevel3 in the States we would have been marvelling at a Right Splitting Supercell.

I just hope somebody got the right side of it so we can see the structure. The Hail Roar we get out in the States lasts for around 5-10 mins and generally someone up wind gets clobbered with some larger stones than the surrounding area.

Most of the stones in the picture below from last week when we were in Colorado were around 2.5" to 3" and we heard the Roar before we got to the location, all other areas around only had 1" Stones.

IMG_20190814_182537.thumb.jpg.f5233fcd49dc1cde49d7806c66fc8b46.jpg

IMG_20190814_182800.thumb.jpg.573321ffaf2357ffc13490577c906880.jpg

So it sounds like the description was for Hail Roar from a Bonafide Supercell

 

Cool. Glad that didn't hit here. That said, car is having some work done so I've got a car from the dealer.. that'd have been lucky for me ?.

 

Always fancied a US storm chase.

 

Have an audio recording, not the best quality but you get the gist. This was a while after it started and as it was moving away. 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Durham Davey said:

Just joined - Hello.

That storm passing over Durham was amazing. Almost constant deep rumbles as his been mentioned before. It's obviously moved onto the North Sea now and has left this behind. Facing West.

IMG_20190827_193919.jpg

Welcome! Sounds like a good storm!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Durham Davey said:

Just joined - Hello.

That storm passing over Durham was amazing. Almost constant deep rumbles as his been mentioned before. It's obviously moved onto the North Sea now and has left this behind. Facing West.

IMG_20190827_193919.jpg

As zmstorm says above, a warm welcome to Netweather DD. :oldsmile: Would you mind popping your location into your profile please - always good to know where folk are posting from. Thks v much.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Here in Bourne, lincs...that is up there with one of the best short storms I've ever been in. Constant thunder and lightning, monsoon rain and severe wind gusts. Still plodding on to my north 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Its going on and on here, the rain is the proverbial biblical.. never seen it so heavy here. That's on top of the earlier stuff. New rivers springing up everywhere, sky signal gone - epic!! ?

Edited by James1979
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

Generally only found around Supercells and make no mistake that cell that went SE Of Durham and over Peterlee was a definate Supercell even on our cruddy radars we have in this country. Had it been on Radarscope or GRLevel3 in the States we would have been marvelling at a Right Splitting Supercell.

 

 

I adore RadarScope!! I certainly wish we had that kind of radar technology in this country!

Edited by LightningLover
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Carl said:

Cool. Glad that didn't hit here. That said, car is having some work done so I've got a car from the dealer.. that'd have been lucky for me ?.

Always fancied a US storm chase.

Have an audio recording, not the best quality but you get the gist. This was a while after it started and as it was moving away. 

Wow! I've heard on weather programs that it sounds like a bowling ally, and that REALLY does!  Used to work in a shop next to a 'Megabowl' the back of the ally's (where the machines were) shared a wall with our storage area, and that's exactly what it sounded like after closing for the night and you could hear the noise from next door clear as day ?

Edited by Ryukai
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...