Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion - 28th July 2019 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Wow here we go! Lightning on the radio about every 40 seconds.

• Like 2

Posted

I expect it to weaken soon but something is happening in the SW of Scotland...............

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days
4 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

Wow here we go! Lightning on the radio about every 40 seconds.

Now died out.

oh no wait there it goes again

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

I am hoping some showers start to develop further east around Birmingham/Stoke on Trent

there is a clump of Cu on the sat around these areas.

image?type=visual&region=gb
EN.SAT24.COM

Weather United Kingdom and Ireland, Satellite Weather United Kingdom and Ireland, Weather Forecast, Rainfall, Clouds, Sun in United Kingdom and Ireland - SAT24.com

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Well, it looks like we are kicking of the 2020 UK storm season with some storms now breaking out across North Wales and a more widespread risk over the next couple of days.

Unfortunately this storm season will be starting very different from most and for me very different to any in the past 16 years as with the current situation I will not be able to chase storms or drive anywhere to see them. I am therefore reliant on storms coming to me, at least for now, in order for me to be able to see one. This will clearly reduce the amount of storms I see, and I realise I may not see any. With the situation as it is I just need to accept that my favourite hobby is on hold for now. More important is to stay safe, stay home and save lives. Thank goodness for webcams, with new ones popping up all over the world.

Good luck to all, in general and for a storm if you want to see one

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.
14 minutes ago, Rush2112 said:

Two strikes noted on Blitzortung, south of llanwrst, and one to the west towards  Ruthin.  Random strikes, looks like they are social distancing too.

Hiya @Rush2112 :oldsmile:

Just heard distant thunder! ?️:yahoo:

591E759C-41D2-44D1-AF82-9DC81A578AA2.png

• Like 4

Posted

Definitely died off for now

Posted

Spoke too soon, another strike.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
17 minutes ago, Supacell said:

Well, it looks like we are kicking of the 2020 UK storm season with some storms now breaking out across North Wales and a more widespread risk over the next couple of days.

Unfortunately this storm season will be starting very different from most and for me very different to any in the past 16 years as with the current situation I will not be able to chase storms or drive anywhere to see them. I am therefore reliant on storms coming to me, at least for now, in order for me to be able to see one. This will clearly reduce the amount of storms I see, and I realise I may not see any. With the situation as it is I just need to accept that my favourite hobby is on hold for now. More important is to stay safe, stay home and save lives. Thank goodness for webcams, with new ones popping up all over the world.

My personal opinion is that I am prepared to travel to watch storms but with the following caviars:

• No more than 30 miles

• Take all snacks and drinks from local supermarket (no use of out-of-town facilities) . Obvs in an emergency this could be an issue  

• Fuel up in local petrol station first

• No storm watching in ANY area that’s not far from other people

Saying this I found an excellent spot about 15 mins from here yesterday, plus we are lucky to have a good view out over the town from our flat, and there’s some really good viewing locations less than a couple of miles from here.

I will try and abstain from heading out, but I’m just planning for the situation where a storm is nearby, but too far from us for observation within the house.

Virus or no virus, I’m not sitting indoors while the best (and nearly only) storm of the last 3 years passes by our house.

This is my personal opinion - please storm chase/watch responsibly.

You can all hate on me now for being ruthlessly honest...  

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
1 minute ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

My personal opinion is that I am prepared to travel to watch storms but with the following caviars:

Are you posh, FBFB?:oldlaugh:

• Like 4

Posted

This afternoon thunderstorms have already broken out across N Wales and these are expected to move north-east towards NW England. CAPE is nothing special and so storms will generally be quite weak and disorganised and will begin to die out as the sun goes down. Areas around Liverpool could see these in the next couple of hours before they fizzle across NW England. UKV also breaks out some precipitation to the west of the Pennines this evening and storms have broken out across SW Scotland which will likely push NE through S Scotland through the evening.

Tomorrow afternoon further isolated heavy showers and possible storms could break out pretty much anywhere in England and Wales. CAPE values are somewhat higher tomorrow and so it would appear thunder more likely where anything develops but there is a lack of any wind shear and UKV only breaks out very isolated precipitation. Storms will be disorganised and probably not last long before they die out again, but will generally push slowly west to east. Any thunderstorms will also die out quickly as soon as the suns heating wanes. It's a day where there is quite a widespread low risk of a heavy shower which could turn briefly thundery. For a vast majority it will be a dry, sunny and very warm day.

Easter Sunday sees low pressure moving closer and the risk of seeing something is somewhat higher, but this is still some way off.

Still, it is great to get opportunities so early in the season

------

@Flash bang flash bang etc Ensure you don't get stopped by the police. I am not sure storm chasing would be a valid excuse to be outside your local area

Edited by Supacell
  • Like 3

Posted
37 minutes ago, Supacell said:

Why do you feel that is helping society? There’s really no harm in it, confined to your vehicle. I implore you to reconsider while it may not be essential it will keep you sane and happy.

• Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, Supacell said:

This afternoon thunderstorms have already broken out across N Wales and these are expected to move north-east towards NW England. CAPE is nothing special and so storms will generally be quite weak and disorganised and will begin to die out as the sun goes down. Areas around Liverpool could see these in the next couple of hours before they fizzle across NW England. UKV also breaks out some precipitation to the west of the Pennines this evening and storms have broken out across SW Scotland which will likely push NE through S Scotland through the evening.

Tomorrow afternoon further isolated heavy showers and possible storms could break out pretty much anywhere in England and Wales. CAPE values are somewhat higher tomorrow and so it would appear thunder more likely where anything develops but there is a lack of any wind shear and UKV only breaks out very isolated precipitation. Storms will be disorganised and probably not last long before they die out again, but will generally push slowly west to east. Any thunderstorms will also die out quickly as soon as the suns heating wanes. It's a day where there is quite a widespread low risk of a heavy shower which could turn briefly thundery. For a vast majority it will be a dry, sunny and very warm day.

Easter Sunday sees low pressure moving closer and the risk of seeing something is somewhat higher, but this is still some way off.

Still, it is great to get opportunities so early in the season

------

@Flash bang flash bang etc Ensure you don't get stopped by the police. I am not sure storm chasing would be a valid excuse to be outside your local area

That is a good point, and thanks for the write up

I personally think I’ve got more of a chance being struck by lightning than catching a human-transmitted disease while standing in a field away from humans, but I can understand why people are concerned about others leaving the house for anything other than an essential journey.

For me it is an essential journey, and as the government won’t recognise my business as valid for any support (self employed since November) - and seeing as the landlady wants us to pay her back the waived rent later in the year - there’ll likely be no trip abroad for me in September, nor much chance for anything else exciting other than watching our savings disappear into the ether...

For these reasons I’ll be out there with my camera, keeping my distance and enjoying the show ??⛈

Edited by Flash bang flash bang etc
  • Like 1

Posted

TBH after all the flashes/rumbles we had during Jan/Feb here anything else for the rest of the year will be a complete bonus

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Convective Weather and Snow

I'm not sure but it looks to me that some cumulus towers have been growing over the Midlands and SW England. It looks like a very small shower may be forming.

Screenshot 2020-04-10 at 17.58.25.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
5 minutes ago, Thunder and Lightning said:

I'm not sure but it looks to me that some cumulus towers have been growing over the Midlands and SW England. It looks like a very small shower may be forming.

Screenshot 2020-04-10 at 17.58.25.png

Yes,spotted an echo SW of Birmingham lol.

Untitled.thumb.png.faf91edf1ec6f11c9fae6d747ec9ab63.png

• Like 3

Posted
8 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Why do you feel that is helping society? There’s really no harm in it, confined to your vehicle. I implore you to reconsider while it may not be essential it will keep you sane and happy.

True, if I know I am missing a good storm because I don't feel I can go out to it, that is going to play on my sanity and certainly my happiness. I also agree I am posing no risk to anyone, but I am someone that worries about things like getting pulled by the police and getting a fine. The worry may overtake the enjoyment of the chase, but who knows, when the situation arises I may have a moment of madness/clarity.

8 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

For these reasons I’ll be out there with my camera, keeping my distance and enjoying the show ??⛈

Understand that, and don't blame you. As you say, the chance of catching anything sitting in your vehicle or standing in a field are very low. There is a much greater risk just going to the shop. Hmm, maybe I am being too pessimistic.

• Like 3

Posted
5 minutes ago, Supacell said:

True, if I know I am missing a good storm because I don't feel I can go out to it, that is going to play on my sanity and certainly my happiness. I also agree I am posing no risk to anyone, but I am someone that worries about things like getting pulled by the police and getting a fine. The worry may overtake the enjoyment of the chase, but who knows, when the situation arises I may have a moment of madness/clarity.

Understand that, and don't blame you. As you say, the chance of catching anything sitting in your vehicle or standing in a field are very low. There is a much greater risk just going to the shop. Hmm, maybe I am being too pessimistic.

Apparently it’s all a hoax invented by China to stop brits enjoying severe weather ?‍♂️ 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

Well lads, storm season is here!

Saturday and Sunday are both looking very reasonable for storms in parts of England and Wales. They are also both good days for setting up my timelapse camera, to get a taste of how these storms build up!

Stay safe all.

• Like 1

Posted

Will be closing this shortly and opening a new thread for the 2020 season

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

A clump of ppn to the West of Worcester is begining to build and move slowly to the North

Posted

OK all, new thread here:

Locking this one now

Posted
47 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

I take it you are willing to pay his fine then if he should be collared by the police?

You yourself said it is not essential.