Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion - 28th July 2019 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

There has been a thunder storm over London for the past hour or so and it's pretty intense, flooding will be an issue if this carries on.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Absolutely throwing it down in Cardiff!

Posted

Rumbling skies here in the south of Chilterns for last hour, great to hear thunder again. Only spotted one flash of IC out to the west and only received 0.4mm of rain so far which was at 4pm, dry since.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

Well there goes yet another slight for our area that was unwarranted.

I actually was fooled, things really were kicking off for a while but it got to the point of producing two very distant rumbles and lost it.

Too little too late, the fuel for the storms is gone now they’re in this area and it’s just dark and drizzly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

I can't see any convective/storm potential for the next 7 days. Meaning as it's now October, the chances of storms will slip away to almost nothing for at least 6 months.

Edited by Zak M

Posted
12 hours ago, Zak M said:

I can't see any convective/storm potential for the next 7 days. Meaning as it's now October, the chances of storms will slip away to almost nothing for at least 6 months.

An improvement here over last year! 

Had one rumble of thunder in April. That was absolutely it (minus the July plume).

Posted

Look at the structure of this cell, over Surrey at around 17:45 this afternoon.

Nice anvil and what looks like a mesocylone with a tail cloud (bloody tree blocked part of the view). 

IMG_20191004_184412_807.jpg

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Day 2 Convective Outlook

VALID 06:00 UTC Sun 06 Oct 2019 - 05:59 UTC Mon 07 Oct 2019

ISSUED 20:45 UTC Sat 05 Oct 2019

ISSUED BY: Dan

Disrupting upper trough will result in an upper low sliding quickly southeastwards across England and Wales on Sunday, reaching the Low Countries by the end of the afternoon. On the forward side, an overlap of cooling aloft combined with upper forcing and subtle surface heating on Sunday morning may encourage a few heavy showers to develop immediately to the rear of the main frontal rain - with a primary focus over CS / SE England. Should any showers develop during the morning hours then there may be a few lightning strikes.

Elsewhere, a few showers are likely in the post-frontal environment but these will largely develop to the rear of the main upper low, resulting in a rather uninspiring environment for lightning - and so the risk is considered rather low.

Also, the surface pattern becomes rather complicated across eastern England by the afternoon, given the frontal boundary grinding to a halt as the main upper forcing runs away southeastwards - with the development of one (or more) surface lows expected, particularly over East Anglia. The net result is areas of low-level convergence within the low axes, which may encourage slow-moving very heavy showers to develop during the afternoon in particular. Exact placement of these will be difficult to pinpoint, although a blend of various NWP would suggest Norfolk and perhaps Lincolnshire at greatest risk. Near-saturated profiles and weak instability suggests the risk of lightning is rather low. However, this would bring the threat of some surface water flooding given event rainfall accumulations (including frontal rain) possibly exceeding 60mm very locally. 

http://convectiveweather.co.uk/forecast.php?date=2019-10-06

• Like 1

Posted

Wembley big thunder storm moving in.

Very localized storm, about 11 rumbles and very heavy rain now blue sky outside.

Looking at lightning maps was probably a cloud burst, no more thunder appearing.

Edited by WeatherWatchmanG

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Keeping my eye on this line of showers intensifying just to the north of me,it looks like a CZ to me,i don't think they will produce any sferics but i could be wrong.

Edited by Allseasons-si
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Day 2 Convective Outlook

VALID 06:00 UTC Tue 08 Oct 2019 - 05:59 UTC Wed 09 Oct 2019

ISSUED 20:16 UTC Mon 07 Oct 2019

ISSUED BY: Dan

Broad westerly flow covers the British Isles through Tuesday, with a couple of troughs moving through in the flow. These will provide the focus for more organised bands of showers to move eastwards - one in particular will cross England and Wales during Tuesday daytime. Either side, numerous scattered showers will affect western areas throughout the forecast period, increasing in coverage across the English Channel too during Tuesday night.

For the most part, instability is a little marginal for much in the way of lightning - however, strong shear and steep mid-level lapse rates aided quite a few lightning strikes on Monday evening over western Scotland and NW Ireland, and it is likely a similar magnitude of shear over the Midlands, southern and eastern England combined with strong forcing aloft and marked mid-level dry intrusion will aid in some sporadic lightning across these areas during Tuesday afternoon (moreso as they move offshore to the North Sea) - and so a low-end SLGT has been issued, despite somewhat restricted convective depth. Hail and gusty winds will accompany the most intense cells.

http://convectiveweather.co.uk/forecast.php?date=2019-10-08

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

Looks like today there’s little to get too excited about now. Shame, cos I’m in Kent today and it looked to be a sweet spot in earlier forecasts.

Ah well, roll on April and the season kicks off again. Yum

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

Something interesting is happening to my north.

IMG_7377[1].JPG