Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion - 28th July 2019 onwards

Posted
1 hour ago, Lincs Observation said:

Well we are just seeing this cell move off toward Lincoln and the wolds, the weird thing is it is still very muggy and humid, sticky call it what you like however no indication of cells from the source south of me.

LO

Storms will generally only freshen things up if they’re on a cold front with a wind direction change afterwards. You’re still in the hot air for another 24 hours.

Similar happened here 5 weeks ago : extremely hot day, incredible storms at night, even more humid the next day and took a 2nd round of storms then a front a few days later until it cooled down.

• Like 1

Posted
51 minutes ago, Quicksilver1989 said:

someone must have switched the shield off as lightning has started flashing every second to my west...

It would help if you put the nearest town in your avatar  -  please?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

Derby cell has now electrified.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
3 minutes ago, zmstorm said:

Derby cell has now electrified.

I will await confirmation.

going to look outside.

Edit:more sferics.

Edited by Allseasons-si

Posted

Big flash to the south ...............and thunder 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
Just now, OddSpot said:

Big flash to the south ...............and thunder 

That's confirmation.

• Like 1

Posted

Now its throwing it down big time with a bit more thunder

But that was it. Better than nowt 

Edited by OddSpot
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hate lightning - joined this for therapy! Seems to be working.

Durham and especially the East Durham coast getting the second show of the evening. Not much in the city area though, storm just to the east. Sunderland getting hammered (insert your own joke here ...)

EDIT: Much less lightning activity. Plenty of rain though.

Edited by Durham Davey
Additional info

Posted
  • Location: Barrowby, (nr. Grantham) Sth Lincs (200ft ASL- ish)
  • Weather Preferences: The worse the better!
  • Location: Barrowby, (nr. Grantham) Sth Lincs (200ft ASL- ish)

Hi all. 

Caught a bit of the storm that passed over Sleaford /Lincoln earlier before heading to work... 

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10158687596587738&id=631327737

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

More from Wendy. If only it was darker would have seen a lot more of the flashes, but it was mostly intracloud with the occasional semi-visible bolt.

1D0433EC-40CA-4086-8223-4613990CE3D3.thumb.jpeg.b249caf15b6e8301adeffeb86cee3741.jpeg

The thunder was almost constant though (was audible even with the sound of a tractor harvesting the field I was in)

• Like 2

Posted

Alright, so this is today's thunderstorm.

Took me 3 hours to edit.

The beginning of the video shows you the observations before the storm every hour, and with it is a satellite image every hour showing where the storms were going to develop.

At around 5pm or later, the first storm arrived. The storm was only producing a couple of strikes per minute, which was quite a weak storm. However, through St Neots/Sandy a storm developed right to the side of it, which made it really tough to film, because I didn't know whether to record a storm with over 20 strikes per minute 5 miles from me or to record a storm with a couple of strikes per minute that was 2 or less miles away from me. It was a tough choice.

I unfortunately missed two very close lightning strikes, they both roughly struck 100m away from me.

I also included some nice soothing piano music to the timelapses at the beginning to make sure you don't get bored when watching

Go to 5:14 if you want to see the main storm action.

I'm going to bed now because I am lacking sleep badly. Night all.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Apart from a few distant flashers nothing here and a total of 0.2mm of rain.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
3 hours ago, Gazarhya said:

I realise not everyone likes Facebook, so here is my last post naively...

Realtime video of the storm (almost no sound, other than my SLR shutter) *select 4k60fps for best effect*

The are photos of my camera view finder, so not the best quality. One of the most active storms I've seen. I was restricted by needing to be at work, so couldn't position myself any better, very few bolts were visable through the clouds, probably about 20 in total, maybe 10 caught on film, of which these three were the best. 

The arrow on the two charts indicates the exact position and (almost) the direction I was facing. 

69259279_10158687596277738_8991747036151808000_o.jpg

69456425_10158687596542738_2296226976869908480_o.jpg

69013742_10158687596057738_3374418636096667648_o.jpg

90132139d2fcf8d3c1125159fe3b54ce.jpg

81058469d919f1971359a69f2f41b80e.jpg

With hindsight I would have headed there - that storm in the video looks like the perfect location and the perfect cell. Awesome job  

Cheers for sharing it

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, freezes, bitterly cold and icy. Thunderstorms and heatwaves!

I was at the Grimsby Town game last night and I've never witnessed anything quite like it. Frequent lightning and thunder, biblical rain, extreme wind gusts and hailstones. It really was like the end of the world Screenshot_20190827-224511_Facebook.thumb.jpg.9ba4d596d7fb00188c59b40c0b3a53d3.jpg

Screenshot_20190828-024432_Messenger.jpg

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot

Someone will get something. Somewhere

Day 1 Convective Outlook

VALID 06:00 UTC Sat 31 Aug 2019 - 05:59 UTC Sun 01 Sep 2019

ISSUED 09:39 UTC Sat 31 Aug 2019

ISSUED BY: Dan

Weak instability and marked mid-level dry intrusion in a highly-sheared environment along a cold front drifting slowly eastwards across Britain during Saturday will encourage some convection on the rear side of the frontal precipitation - with a few LEWPs noted in radar imagery so far this morning. Overall the limited convective depth and weak CAPE suggests the risk of lightning is rather low, although some gusty winds may occur locally.

The post-frontal environment will be characterised by a cold pool overspreading the British Isles as an upper trough shifts eastwards, steepening lapse rates and generating a few hundred J/kg CAPE. Showers will become more widespread across Ireland and western Scotland through Saturday, extending across the Irish Sea and into western England/Wales later in the day, and continuing overnight. A few isolated lightning strikes and/or small hail may be possible from the strongest cells.

http://www.convectiveweather.co.uk/forecast.php?date=2019-08-31

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Day 2 Convective Outlook

VALID 06:00 UTC Sun 01 Sep 2019 - 05:59 UTC Mon 02 Sep 2019

ISSUED 20:05 UTC Sat 31 Aug 2019

ISSUED BY: Dan

An upper trough will migrate eastwards across the British Isles and North Sea during Sunday, the associated cold pool across northern areas creating an environment with reasonably steep mid-level lapse rates and a few hundred J/kg CAPE. Areas of showery rain may be affecting parts of W / SW Scotland and NW England during the morning, but this is expected to break up into scattered showers through the day. Elsewhere, numerous showers are expected to develop, particularly in response to diurnal heating inland. A few sporadic lightning strikes are possible, especially in E / SE Scotland and NE / E England during the afternoon hours where the deepest convection is most likely to occur - and a low-end SLGT has been introduced. Hail 1.0-1.5cm in diameter may be possible from the most intense cells.

http://convectiveweather.co.uk/forecast.php?date=2019-09-01

• Like 1

Posted

It's approaching September now. I hope this is a really convective month to really finish this storm season as barely anything convective happens in Bedford in September.