Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion - 28th July 2019 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, gales, all extreme weather really!

Still quite potent even the its only the tail of the storm, proper bonus given it looked game over! Definitely a mini round 2. 

Posted
1 minute ago, P-M said:

So skies are brightening again. Looks like that's it unless any more cells form from now? Not sure what the forecast is for the rest of the night. 

I forecast a better night's sleep.:oldlaugh:

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, P-M said:

At least you tried. Sunderland / Peterlee areas must have taken a hammering I can still hear the constant thunder 

Looks that way. Shame there isn't more to come.

Posted
4 minutes ago, Carl said:

I'll have to read up on that.

Never heard anything like it.

Generally only found around Supercells and make no mistake that cell that went SE Of Durham and over Peterlee was a definate Supercell even on our cruddy radars we have in this country. Had it been on Radarscope or GRLevel3 in the States we would have been marvelling at a Right Splitting Supercell.

I just hope somebody got the right side of it so we can see the structure. The Hail Roar we get out in the States lasts for around 5-10 mins and generally someone up wind gets clobbered with some larger stones than the surrounding area.

Most of the stones in the picture below from last week when we were in Colorado were around 2.5" to 3" and we heard the Roar before we got to the location, all other areas around only had 1" Stones.

IMG_20190814_182537.thumb.jpg.f5233fcd49dc1cde49d7806c66fc8b46.jpg

IMG_20190814_182800.thumb.jpg.573321ffaf2357ffc13490577c906880.jpg

So it sounds like the description was for Hail Roar from a Bonafide Supercell

• Like 8

Posted
8 minutes ago, P-M said:

Honestly the thunder sound is proper weird too must be horrendous directly under it as it's constant there's no let up. 

Yeah it did sound weird, maybe it was because of the distance, or maybe the terrain having an impact.  I was impressed by the structure of the cell though-makes me wonder how much stronger it could have been with the right ingredients

Posted

Feeding off scraps a bit but I'll take it!! From burning hot blue sky London to the edge of the monster. Better than zilch.

Screenshot_20190827-192946_Video Player-min-1.jpg

• Like 1

Posted

I have been watching the storm front moving up from Peterborough for the last hour, it stretches up the east lincs coast, it appears if it maintains strength and direction I will be in direct line within the next hour. Still rumbling around and is very still and muggy.

LO

Posted
1 minute ago, Paul Sherman said:

Generally only found around Supercells and make no mistake that cell that went SE Of Durham and over Peterlee was a definate Supercell even on our cruddy radars we have in this country. Had it been on Radarscope or GRLevel3 in the States we would have been marvelling at a Right Splitting Supercell.

I just hope somebody got the right side of it so we can see the structure. The Hail Roar we get out in the States lasts for around 5-10 mins and generally someone up wind gets clobbered with some larger stones than the surrounding area.

Most of the stones in the picture below from last week when we were in Colorado were around 2.5" to 3" and we heard the Roar before we got to the location, all other areas around only had 1" Stones.

IMG_20190814_182537.thumb.jpg.f5233fcd49dc1cde49d7806c66fc8b46.jpg

IMG_20190814_182800.thumb.jpg.573321ffaf2357ffc13490577c906880.jpg

So it sounds like the description was for Hail Roar from a Bonafide Supercell

Cool. Glad that didn't hit here. That said, car is having some work done so I've got a car from the dealer.. that'd have been lucky for me .

Always fancied a US storm chase.

Have an audio recording, not the best quality but you get the gist. This was a while after it started and as it was moving away. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hate lightning - joined this for therapy! Seems to be working.

Just joined - Hello.

That storm passing over Durham was amazing. Almost constant deep rumbles as his been mentioned before. It's obviously moved onto the North Sea now and has left this behind. Facing West.

IMG_20190827_193919.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather
2 minutes ago, Durham Davey said:

Just joined - Hello.

That storm passing over Durham was amazing. Almost constant deep rumbles as his been mentioned before. It's obviously moved onto the North Sea now and has left this behind. Facing West.

IMG_20190827_193919.jpg

Welcome! Sounds like a good storm!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers
1 minute ago, Durham Davey said:

Just joined - Hello.

IMG_20190827_193919.jpg

As zmstorm says above, a warm welcome to Netweather DD. :oldsmile: Would you mind popping your location into your profile please - always good to know where folk are posting from. Thks v much.

• Like 1

Posted

Here in Bourne, lincs...that is up there with one of the best short storms I've ever been in. Constant thunder and lightning, monsoon rain and severe wind gusts. Still plodding on to my north 

• Like 1

Posted

I just drove through those bright cores just up from Peterborough, just before Stamford.  I have never seen rain like it! I have a video which I will upload later.

• Like 1

Posted

Its going on and on here, the rain is the proverbial biblical.. never seen it so heavy here. That's on top of the earlier stuff. New rivers springing up everywhere, sky signal gone - epic!!

Edited by James1979

Posted

The storm moving up from Peterborough is getting closer, there is a marked increase in noise & the light is getting poor for this time of the day, it appears we are still in direct line for a hit.

LO

Posted

Amazing structure of the cells in N. Lincs now, deep rumbling around 4-5miles to the east.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms
27 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

I adore RadarScope!! I certainly wish we had that kind of radar technology in this country!

Edited by LightningLover
  • Like 1

Posted
23 minutes ago, Carl said:

Cool. Glad that didn't hit here. That said, car is having some work done so I've got a car from the dealer.. that'd have been lucky for me .

Always fancied a US storm chase.

Have an audio recording, not the best quality but you get the gist. This was a while after it started and as it was moving away. 

Wow! I've heard on weather programs that it sounds like a bowling ally, and that REALLY does!  Used to work in a shop next to a 'Megabowl' the back of the ally's (where the machines were) shared a wall with our storage area, and that's exactly what it sounded like after closing for the night and you could hear the noise from next door clear as day

Edited by Ryukai
  • Like 1