Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion - 28th July 2019 onwards

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

Almighty CG fork On the Sussex coast with shot gun thunder.

Without a doubt struck something nearby.

Imstananious thunder and a house shaker!

• Like 2

Posted
14 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

A little late to the party on this,it's been going on for the last hour! The warning starts at 10am.

I will get the cat to complain,she is now terrified.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms
10 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

They may as well have issued a cheese and tomato sandwich, it ain’t gonna thunder here - too far west for today.

When was your last thunderstorm? Sorry, I can’t remember...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, strong winds

Haven’t been on this thread for a while. Seems like some good storms brewing today across the S/SE. Whilst I was away in Poland I managed to witness a blood moon as well as a few short but sharp thunderstorms. Been a chance of thunder nearly every day there whilst I was there. 

Posted

Intense cells just popped up very close to London!

B323322D-4DEA-47C1-80BB-BE28778B2CD6.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wake me up when the storms arrive

Woke up with the idea of mowing the lawns (based on Met Office forecast yesterday afternoon of sun and occasional showers   ).

Absolutely chucking it down here under one of those freshly popped-up cells in south London, and my place. No electricals, though. Cool and grey so far.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and showery airflows
1 hour ago, sunnijim said:

Almighty CG fork On the Sussex coast with shot gun thunder.

Without a doubt struck something nearby.

Imstananious thunder and a house shaker!

I wonder if it hit the transmitter mast at the top of Longridge Ave as my mobile phone is getting no signal ..

• Like 1

Posted

First thunder clap of the day here out of that cell in south London!

• Like 2

Posted

Well look at that radar picture, it’s only 11am still got a lot more convection to happen yet  

A871A7FD-98C5-4257-91EF-079C607A29B0.png

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Just had a rumble of thunder here near Croydon, though earlier heavy downpours seem to be clearing for now

• Like 1

Posted
18 minutes ago, Jules777 said:

I wonder if it hit the transmitter mast at the top of Longridge Ave as my mobile phone is getting no signal ..

Possibly,it seemed to ark down just East and a little inland of Grand ocean.

Edited by sunnijim

Posted

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

We have to be happy with what little we get. Unfortunately what we usually get is this unpredictable short sharp shower kind of convection which is akin to playing the lottery.

You can’t chase anything because it’s so sporadic, and you’ve just got to hope it does it’s thing near enough to see or hear.

Why we can’t get the standard small tracking thunderstorms the rest of the country gets I don’t know. Synoptics or something.

Surely now the seas are warm enough we could have a little bit of a continental flow off of mainland France, like we had for months and months during spring and early summer?

10 minutes ago, Mitch perrott said:

the storm passes and develops right after, its so dark behind my house, ugh i hate the southeast weather somtimes

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

We have to be happy with what little we get. Unfortunately what we usually get is this unpredictable short sharp shower kind of convection which is akin to playing the lottery.

You can’t chase anything because it’s so sporadic, and you’ve just got to hope it does it’s thing near enough to see or hear.

Why we can’t get the standard small tracking thunderstorms the rest of the country gets I don’t know. Synoptics or something.

Surely now the seas are warm enough we could have a little bit of a continental flow off of mainland France, like we had for months and months during spring and early summer?

i really hope so because its sad seeing all the storms develop over you and then explode a few miles north

Posted
5 minutes ago, Mitch perrott said:

i really hope so because its sad seeing all the storms develop over you and then explode a few miles north

I totally agree

It’s also sad watching summer pass by with 19° dry cloudy weather and seeing no convective potential anywhere within 50 miles of here.

This happens every summer, and yet we are warming the seas and the climate, so surely at some point we should be seeing a pattern change and more stormy weather?

Not saying I’d like the climate to change, but if it is then why does our area remain so storm free?

Posted
6 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

I totally agree

It’s also sad watching summer pass by with 19° dry cloudy weather and seeing no convective potential anywhere within 50 miles of here.

This happens every summer, and yet we are warming the seas and the climate, so surely at some point we should be seeing a pattern change and more stormy weather?

Not saying I’d like the climate to change, but if it is then why does our area remain so storm free?

i mean where i live, there is some sort of split in the air, the clouds go two differnt directions normally and it sucks, some go to the left and some go to the right, never towards me...

Posted

D83FCBD4-C02F-41E5-B4BB-641983CC909A.thumb.png.a02e92eb71522c0c0f3c3d360560b03e.png

PJB @ UKWW does a good write up highlighting potential for our area today, but there are the usual caveats based on lacking parameters for anything organised (read ‘decent’) plus reading between the lines I think he’s being cautious based on how unpredictable forecasting storms in the SE has been so far this summer. So it’s just a case of nowcasting (as usual).

There could be one last plume in it for us this summer, but i’m Kind of thinking maybe this is all we deserve, a little bit of patchy autumnal convection before a mild snowless winter. Lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Sunny here but can hear thunder coming from not far to the north of here. 

Posted
1 minute ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

D83FCBD4-C02F-41E5-B4BB-641983CC909A.thumb.png.a02e92eb71522c0c0f3c3d360560b03e.png

PJB @ UKWW does a good write up highlighting potential for our area today, but there are the usual caveats based on lacking parameters for anything organised (read ‘decent’) plus reading between the lines I think he’s being cautious based on how unpredictable forecasting storms in the SE has been so far this summer. So it’s just a case of nowcasting (as usual).

There could be one last plume in it for us this summer, but i’m Kind of thinking maybe this is all we deserve, a little bit of patchy autumnal convection before a mild snowless winter. Lol.

thats not even a warning at this point haha thats just a forcast of a bust

• Like 1

Posted

image.thumb.png.acb615a9eb0320c54475d1b8ca0a63a2.png
Your daily forcast in the south east with mitch, well as you can see once again, the split pushing the storms away is in affect, each storm missing us by an inch woooo, will we ever be hit by the center of a cell!? find out,,, next year

• Like 1