Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion - 28th July 2019 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Gotta love Estofex.

A level 1 was issued across parts of England and Wales for heavy rainfall, large hail and tornadoes.

Modest instability will be available here, but rather strong widnd shear suggests that some well-organized low-topped storms may develop during the day, producing heavy rain. Any rotating updrafts will be able to sustain marginally large hail. In addition, the strong low-level shear suggests an isolated tornado cannot be ruled out.

image.thumb.png.4b9c420565c652d9d425220cfce8be12.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
Posted

@SP1986 @SarahWxm @Dangerous55019 Well I nearly shat the bed . I was just enjoying hearing the storm roll in over Hawarden, as I was trying to get some sleep. So I decided to have a peek out of the window, some lovely lightning moving in. Gave it a little bit and lay down, peaked up out the window and all hell broke loose about 100ft up the road. Was a massive CG+ strike, that sounded like a bomb exploded. I literally seen it arc over the back over by a neighbours house . I thought right "ok, air is dry it's a one off"! Hell I was wrong! This was followed by 2 more CG+ lightning explosions each getting closer! I even started panicking as I screamed out  "this is too close"! There's my little story of this morning . Maybe some more stormage later... Fingers crossed!? 

Edited by CCJD1983
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

A little storm just missed Bedford this morning, I probably would of seen it.

Jokes, I wouldn't of been able to see it cuz I just slept for 13 hours

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wake me up when the storms arrive
23 minutes ago, CCJD1983 said:

@SP1986 @SarahWxm @Dangerous55019 Well I nearly shat the bed . I was just enjoying hearing the storm roll in over Hawarden, as I was trying to get some sleep. So I decided to have a peak out of the window, some lovely lightning moving in. Gave it a little bit and lay down, peaked up out the window and all hell broke loose about 100ft up the road. Was a massive CG+ strike, that sounded like a bomb exploded. I literally seen it arc over the back over by a neighbours house . I thought right "ok, air is dry it's a one off"! Hell I was wrong! This was followed by 2 more CG+ lightning explosions each getting closer! I even started panicking as I screamed out "swearing is not big or clever, this is too close"! There's my little story of this morning . Maybe some more stormage later... Fingers crossed!? 

Quite an experience! 

Many years ago at home close to Durham, we had a thundery wet day. The storms faded away so after dinner I had a bath (20:00). It was pouring down outside, and everything went really quiet while the rain intensified.  The flash of lightning was like an arc lamp shining through the window, power browned right down, count to 4, and then loudest blast of thunder I have ever heard (and this was 40 years ago, I've seen a LOT of storms!). It was so loud, deep and intense I thought the bathroom ceiling was going to come down!  

It landed a mile away and the local Fire Service saw it. They didn't even wait - pulled out to the houses. A pal of a close friend's house was struck and he was electrocuted through listening to music on headphones. Glad to say he survived! Two houses had a hole punched through them but due to the Fire Service being there in moments, the fires were put out.

Edited by StormLoser

Posted
12 minutes ago, StormLoser said:

Quite an experience! 

Many years ago at home close to Durham, we had a thundery wet day. The storms faded away so after dinner I had a bath (20:00). It was pouring down outside, and everything went really quiet while the rain intensified.  The flash of lightning was like an arc lamp shining through the window, power browned right down, count to 4, and then loudest blast of thunder I have ever heard (and this was 40 years ago, I've seen a LOT of storms!). It was so loud, deep and intense I thought the bathroom ceiling was going to come down!  

It landed a mile away and the local Fire Service saw it. They didn't even wait - pulled out to the houses. A pal of a close friend's house was struck and he was electrocuted through listening to music on headphones. Glad to say he survived! Two houses had a hole punched through them but due to the Fire Service being there in moments, the fires were put out.

Wow! That's some dangerous stuff . I love storms, but get really paranoid about lightning strikes and even hate watching too close to windows. This was something else this morning... I know how dangerous CG+ is and this was dangerously close, say 100ft. The second 2 were even closer to even think about. I thought someone's house had blew up! That sound was freakily loud and the thunder was also insane with that storm. Glad your friend survived too!   Storm on! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

I have had quite a few interesting experiences with +CG strikes here.

13/09/16 - there was an incredibly powerful +CG which was the last lightning strike from the decaying MultiCell system that battered  Shrewsbury and the West Midlands that day.

10/06/14 -  a massive one from a developing storm just after  it crossed the Mersey.

08/12/14 - One of the loudest sounds I have ever heard; a +CG hit 100 m away. That was an ocean effect shower  which suddenly electrified.

The best one was 22/07/13.

I had been disappointed because everything was going to my east and all electrical activity had faded from my part of the MultiCell System on that early morning. All of a sudden there was a massive explosion. +CG had hit 300 m to the north and it took me hours to get over the fright.  The sound it made was incredible. I have a recording of it somewhere actually.   

Posted

Picking out a particular area for thunderstorms is quite tricky today as Models vary somewhat. The general trend looks to be Ireland , Wales , Northern England and Scotland are favored for thunderstorms.  Instability looks to be fairly low and storms should be moving fairly fast.

However looking at Satellite Imagery I can see a slight kink in the vorticity pattern with some potential storm development associated with it. This seems to be suggested in the GFS Lightning wizard troposphere charts, however the timing is likely to be different. This is something which should be watched closely and might suggest parts of England in the south west , through the midlands and possibly East Anglia could see a storm during the afternoon.  It is tricky to predict and will probably need now casting.

neOe6L4SyWCjc.jpg

gfs_pvort_eur12.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

So today. Looks good as far as I can see for me in a few hours. My wrist window ends after midnight though as the Wind veers  beyond 225°.

Won’t be on here tomorrow as I don’t want to get jealous of everyone inland when it’s a dry and sunny day here.  

A chance on Monday then with early ocean effect stuff. 

Edited by Chris.R

Posted
4 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Guys, our lives don’t matter - FOOTAGE matters!

I wanted to get some. But phone memory is full and camera is poop on iPhone 5s  

Posted
10 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

I have had quite a few interesting experiences with +CG strikes here.

13/09/16 - there was an incredibly powerful +CG which was the last lightning strike from the decaying MultiCell system that battered  Shrewsbury and the West Midlands that day.

10/06/14 -  a massive one from a developing storm just after  it crossed the Mersey.

08/12/14 - One of the loudest sounds I have ever heard; a +CG hit 100 m away. That was an ocean effect shower  which suddenly electrified.

The best one was 22/07/13.

I had been disappointed because everything was going to my east and all electrical activity had faded from my part of the MultiCell System on that early morning. All of a sudden there was a massive explosion. +CG had hit 300 m to the north and it took me hours to get over the fright.  The sound it made was incredible. I have a recording of it somewhere actually.   

Be interesting to see that footage if you can dig it out?  

Yea the sound is repeating over in my head. It was insane! I've been search pootube  , for similar close CG+ strike sound footage. 

• Like 1

Posted

Having very good insolation here. 22.5°C.

I will look for that +CG audio tomorrow. 

Posted

Wow that storm over Wales is HUGE! I can see the very top of it just poking over the horizon from where I live! o_0

IMG_20190809_113449311[1].jpg

That is one REALLY tall storm

Edited by Ryukai

Posted

I'm teaching myself how to read skew t soundings, weather charts etc!  It's looking interesting just West of Swansea atm  

Posted

I see we're doing lightning stories so here's mine. After an amazing spell of hot weather in England, Scotland got the thunderstorms This was in 2000 or 2001. It was a foggy, rainy morning when the thunder started at around 10 am. I wandered into our downstairs bathroom for a wee and as I sat there with the windo behind me there was an absolutely blinding flash and at the same time the toilet and the suspended floor jumped and there was an incredible bamg. Not a rumble, a bang. I shot out of the bathroom, everything at ankles, yelling for hubby. Went out on hands and knees in a Noachian downpour to discover that a silver birch in the garden had been struck, the strike being 5 feet from our bedroom window. The roots of the tree are right beside our line to our septic tank which explains the jumping loo.

• Like 2

Posted

Sferic over Wales.

Posted

Storms are kicking off now!

@Dangerous55019 You seeing any lightning or hearing any thunder yet?

Edited by zmstorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

what a surprise that Bedford missed out AGAIN. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

There’s a storm currently over Chester way... And so can hear very strong sferics on the radio as well! ?️:oldgood:

815B3157-B04B-4543-9E19-FEA221096921.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.
4 hours ago, CCJD1983 said:

@SP1986 @SarahWxm @Dangerous55019 Well I nearly shat the bed . I was just enjoying hearing the storm roll in over Hawarden, as I was trying to get some sleep. So I decided to have a peek out of the window, some lovely lightning moving in. Gave it a little bit and lay down, peaked up out the window and all hell broke loose about 100ft up the road. Was a massive CG+ strike, that sounded like a bomb exploded. I literally seen it arc over the back over by a neighbours house . I thought right "ok, air is dry it's a one off"! Hell I was wrong! This was followed by 2 more CG+ lightning explosions each getting closer! I even started panicking as I screamed out  "this is too close"! There's my little story of this morning . Maybe some more stormage later... Fingers crossed!? 

Good afternoon @CCJD1983:oldsmile:

That was a most impressive little storm this morning! 

I always remember (must about ten years ago now) we had a storm break out right over head... Everywhere lit up, and it wasn’t thunder, it was an explosion! Lol ?️

Great stuff! :oldgood:

Posted
8 minutes ago, Dami said:

what a surprise that Bedford missed out AGAIN. 

Way too early to say that. The main 'storm' action here will take place from 5 till 9. There's a big blob of rain on the south coast west of Southampton coming our way and it could electrify.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dull And Uninteresting Weather

One thing I'll say looking at the radar these are not hanging about , I suspect they've realised that there in the south and are hotfooting it to the north as quickly as possible