Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion - 28th July 2019 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather
11 hours ago, Despicable Weather said:

Glad you are having a good time in Florida @zmstorm thank you for your reports too.

That shake in your above vid, is that camera shake as thunder rumbles or is that the pane of glass of window?? I zoomed in and stared at windows of houses over the way but couldn't see anything on them just the shake in the foreground lol

Thanks mate. Yeah I meant that you would of seen the shake in the foreground (my window) but I can’t be too sure unfortunately because I accidentally left it recording when I was in the shower and I watched the video back. 

I assume that some other houses nearby had their windows shaken but even if they were then it wouldn’t be visible on the camera.

I also assume that the camera was shaken a little bit.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

Never get tired of this view - getting interesting now!

0A08269A-B3FE-40E8-8ED4-7AD143854AD2.thumb.jpeg.95f0423e00a13ee015b32896345dc340.jpeg0D56845C-BA1B-45A3-8205-E18ABF632F02.thumb.jpeg.0a72b05261a141d871ffdd88814819a2.jpegC19EAC0C-9F75-47D5-A690-C8C44875DC1B.thumb.jpeg.4d5c570a9ee6fa7fc0abeccc2c6c8094.jpeg8BA1B660-E4A0-4B0A-9C59-5C140009F73E.thumb.jpeg.759f25e6df3aa5ce59b73567ec21f762.jpeg

Got excited for a second when I thought I had witnessed a tornado touch down. (far right of above picture)

B245A533-16CF-4275-8025-7DE1FE3DC0CB.thumb.png.58013ae6a7ac1e7eafdf83b981f7e42b.png

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: I love the seasonal periods of the year, ( in their extremes - of course ).

Some great thunderstorms passing overhead, stretching out now, towards Worksop & Retford. Frequent lightning & long booming thunder

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

One of them beautiful clear days with some awesome cloudscapes. My favourite type of weather. 

CB7832B7-E5B4-4DE0-80EC-F4B4DDB76993.jpeg

• Like 6

Posted

Some nice early convection so far.

2EBADDA2-1A01-4C0D-AD2D-2B0E966D50AE.jpeg

• Like 4

Posted

Not seen skies like this here in ages. Very impressive towers. Don't think we'll get a direct hit though. Seems a little north for us 

Edited by TJS1998Tom
  • Like 2

I've been at Whiteley Woods (western Sheffield) and Grindleford (Peak District) today doing Forest Schools training and had several thunderstorms pass close by. Had a great view driving back from Grindleford of several cells - observed some lightning as well. Good day!

Cell north of Stoke has our name on it - hoping for one last round before the showers/storms fade!

Edited by Onding

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Heat

Some huge towers looking south towards Newark

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, Jeffers146 said:

Some huge towers looking south towards Newark

The ones I'm seeing here are probably the biggest towers I've ever seen 

• Like 1

Posted

37C3DFC3-8CDC-4A8E-8DEB-B649E663D8E0.jpeg

• Like 2

Torrential downpour here but after hearing distant thunder 5 minutes ago this cell seems to have lost electrification. Impressive rainfall rates though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Had a little bit of a chase this afternoon. At just after 3pm I headed out and up the M1 in an attempt to get under a developing line of showers moving off the Peak District towards Sheffield. There had already been a few sferics detected across the Buxton area. I pulled off the M1 near to Barlborough and parked up somewhere near Maston Moor to consider my options. I was trying to figure how best to intercept a cell near to Bakewell when suddenly there was a bright flash of lightning out of nowhere and a loud crash of thunder.

Within seconds a quite vicious storm arrived and passed overhead with torrential rain, some CG bolts and thunder loud enough I could hear it whilst driving through a torrent. The storm appeared to have developed overhead.

I then headed up the M1 and east into a line of storms that were from Matlock to Worksop, coming to a stop just south of Blyth. I was able to stand outside and film as it produced frequent thunder and lightning about a mile to my south. There were no CG's by this point and the lightning seemed mostly high based, but there were still some decent flashes and crisp thunder. The core of the storm was missing me but this meant I was not stuck in the car sheltering from a torrent.

Headed home as the storms trundled off at high speed into Lincolnshire but not a bad last minute storm chase.

Edited by Supacell
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wake me up when the storms arrive

Thunder. Storm. Lightning...  Ladies and gentlemen of the Academy, these are things not known to mankind in the South East corner of the UK. Our scientists are working hard to find out what happened... And the consensus is now facing us in this peer reviewed paper by Doctor Grim R. Eaper.

It's Climate Change. Yes folks, the Met Office's prediction of the entire Mediterranean climate moving into South East England happened last week. We knew this was going to happen. Just not which day or which month, nor if would be after teatime. 

Our storms are...no more.

Edited by StormLoser
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Definitely a Candidate for a low topped supercell, just departed the Lincolnshire coast.. 

7CEDDAF3-2378-4367-B32B-8B890F0E7173.png

F93E2163-26BD-44E3-BA75-89AB73609CA3.png

Edited by East_England_Stormchaser91
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

Would be good to hear the thoughts of any experts or people in the know!? 

Much appreciated! 

1 minute ago, Mr Frost said:

What do you all think about this?

Picture of cell earlier in the day, radar at time and low cloud/scud (I think) at the far right of the picture? (same time as radar image)

07EFF963-466A-444B-9EF7-4A0D2B00FB46.thumb.jpeg.777f16699605f166adfad45063f686fc.jpeg

C377F66D-2025-4B6E-AD42-F8017BAFC846.thumb.png.d8b091c10c4e9b1f920f83b6ebe5af87.pngA707C8EB-3B31-4BFB-8CB5-CDC4F934F3A4.thumb.jpeg.c1a53fda5582b71aa4c1150cf8288e13.jpeg

Some folk think it’s a tornado but I’m 99% sure it is not! 

I was panicking too much to get a video of it and was zooming in and out of the area in question due to sheer joy at what was happening! Also had sunlight behind me and I was on top of a 98 meters high Hill a fair distance away!