Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Hot week - guess the temperature competition

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
16 minutes ago, DAVID SNOW said:

Other countries are able to announce temp records almost straight away, why does it take the Met days?

Maybe it's time they stopped wasting money on a new website every few years and invested it in a decent live reporting network like they have in Europe 

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
Just now, Mr Frost said:

Not sure about this mate - don’t think you can just dismiss numerous advanced European counties announcing all time temperature records because you think they can’t be a.r.s.e.d to check to properly.

I'm not talking solely about European countries.. Have you see where some of the official stations are in US states? There's some right next to public car parks!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
3 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

That's the problem I suspect? They may have employees specifically working in that role that don't get the full story and so they just want to get it 'out there'

They should have said something like 38.1C was recorded, but we need to process the data to see if anywhere else may have officially been hotter'

That's social media for you!

Yep I suspect that's part of the issue. They've had some embarrassing gaffes and blunders on social media. My favourite was when they shared a photo of a "tornado" that was clearly a contrail shadow

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
4 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Maybe it's time they stopped wasting money on a new website every few years and invested it in a decent live reporting network like they have in Europe 

And a hard to navigate one with less Met Office model output data on it than small commercial organisations about 1/100th the turnover have for free!!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers
7 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

And a hard to navigate one with less Met Office model output data on it than small commercial organisations about 1/100th the turnover have for free!!!

Yes I can understand why all the model data may not be available but at least give us as much as the ECM for example.

The new site isn't the greatest to navigate around either it must be said.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

I think the rapid announcements from other countries could be related to their records being beaten by large margins, so even after quality checks the records would still stand.

Saying that, in the Netherlands the KNMI announced they'd broken the 40C mark on social media early yesterday, only to discard the reading due to a faulty sensor. Luckily the 40C mark was breached by a large margin later at other locations, so it didn't look quite so bad.

• Like 5

Posted
3 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

Cambridge Botanic Garden showing 38.7c 

https://wow.metoffice.gov.uk/observations/details/?site_id=27484233

Will be interesting to see if yesterday's temps are revised up or not

Depends on what's happened to the site surropundings recently, I suspect - there's been a lot going on around the enclosure - see below link - bare earth everywhere, supposedly 2019 data but it could have changed...

https://www.google.com/maps/place/52°11'38.2"N+0°07'45.9"E/@52.1939488,0.1288748,100m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m6!3m5!1s0x0:0x0!7e2!8m2!3d52.1939481!4d0.1294218

Cambridge Botanical Gardens seems to a decidely iffy site to my eyes, based on that link but who knows what the Met Office will accept after Brogdale and Gravesend-Broadness in the past. Maybe my back garden, the wall is lower than the Brogdale hedge!

Edited by DaveL

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
2 minutes ago, DaveL said:

Depends on what's happened to the site surropundings recently, I suspect - there's been a lot going on around the enclosure - see below link - bare earth everywhere, supposedly 2019 data but it could have changed...

https://www.google.com/maps/place/52°11'38.2"N+0°07'45.9"E/@52.1939488,0.1288748,100m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m6!3m5!1s0x0:0x0!7e2!8m2!3d52.1939481!4d0.1294218

❗Breaking News❗

A new provisional recording of 38.7 °C at Cambridge Botanic Garden has been received from yesterday

It will be quality controlled & if validated would be the highest temperature officially recorded in the UK 

More here: https://t.co/1SJxix4VWb

#UKHottestDay https://t.co/7kfI17nOgx

https://twitter.com/metoffice/status/1154754947197657088?s=19

Edited by Luke Best

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).
17 hours ago, matty007 said:

No. I said it could take the highest tempreture, but not the all time record.

Record's gone. At Cambridge.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

I guessed 38.7 first but don’t think I was the only one.

• Like 1

Posted

Sigh.

Here we go again. Brogdale, Gravesend-Broadness and now Cambridge Botanic Gardens. Jo Bloggs' back garden or Cambridge town Hall roof next, perhaps?

If anyone lives near Cambridge, I think a quick drive up the road to have a quick look-see might be a good idea! Not for the competition of course, I hasten to add.

Edited by DaveL
  • Like 2

Posted

Earlier the comp had 7 winners the met offices revised temp means it now has 5 winners

CheesepuffScott

Pinball Wizard

seabreeze86 

snowrye 

Had Worse

Ols500 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Sancerre.

Already posted

Edited by in the vale
late to the party

Posted
8 minutes ago, DaveL said:

Sigh.

Here we go again. Brogdale, Gravesend-Broadness and now Cambridge Botanic Gardens. Jo Bloggs' back garden or Cambridge town Hall roof next, perhaps?

If anyone lives near Cambridge, I think a quick drive up the road to have a quick look-see might be a good idea! Not for the competition of course, I hasten to add.

Someone posted a pic of the weather station as it is today on TWO. Lots of bare earth nearby. Personally I think we should call it a tie with 2003 on 38.1C and bin Gravesend and Brogdale! And not just because I chose 38.1C in the comp....

Edited by Rob K
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, Snow, Thunder

Oh no, victory snatched away by VAR! I could weep!  

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Bit of a farce this really, isn't it?

• Like 4

Posted

Let's see how verification goes with the guidelines stated by the WMO

This is supposed to be the station

botanic.jpeg.f8ba0ab1949b0fd386465c8c3cc

Outdoor instruments should be installed on a level piece of ground, preferably no smaller than 25 m x 25 m where there are many installations, but in cases where there are relatively few installations (as in Figure 1.1) the area may be considerably smaller, for example, 10 m x 7 m (the enclosure). The ground should be covered with short grass or a surface representative of the locality, and surrounded by open fencing or palings to exclude unauthorized persons.

Within the enclosure, a bare patch of ground of about 2 m x 2 m is reserved for observations of the state of the ground and of soil temperature at depths of equal to or less than 20 cm (Part I, Chapter 2) (soil temperatures at depths greater than 20 cm can be measured outside this bare patch of ground). An example of the layout of such a station is given in Figure 1.1 (taken from WMO, 2010b);

https://library.wmo.int/pmb_ged/wmo_8_en-2012.pdf page 20

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Will it get rounded to 39°C? 
That wheelbarrow will skew the result.

Edited by Mapantz
  • Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Bit of a farce this really, isn't it?

Not at all surprised they haven't done very well with reporting this heat

First they said overnight record hadn't gone when it had the twitter lot said they didn't have an official observation in Faversham when they do and now they've decided the temperature record has gone

After last year's farce with the lorry or whatever it was you'd have thought they'd be a bit more prepared obviously not...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
22 minutes ago, Rob K said:

Someone posted a pic of the weather station as it is today on TWO. Lots of bare earth nearby. Personally I think we should call it a tie with 2003 on 38.1C and bin Gravesend and Brogdale! And not just because I chose 38.1C in the comp....

you cant just go back re-writing old records to suit an agenda? ..oh wait...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

I used to be a Met office 'observer' over in Hastings.

We collected data twice daily ( overnight readings before 9am, and daytime readings up until 5pm ) rainfall,temperature maximum and minimums and sunshine recording.

The training for the job was at the old Met office base on Bracknell.

The readings back then were used officially by the Met office,( similar to this site in Cambridge I would assume)

If any sort of extreme in Hastings was noteworthy ( usually extreme rainfall or temperature) the site had to be re- inspected before it was allowed to become official.

This was on top of yearly inspections to make sure the observation site still met the standards required.

So if this new UK record is 'proven' it would be a little disingenuous to suggest 'where next for the record,the roof at Cambridge Coop' ?

• Like 3