Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - hot spell beckons but then what?

Paul
Message added by Paul

This thread = Models, models and more models
Please remember that this thread is for discussing the model output only. If you want to chat about the summer weather more generally, please use the Summer chat and moans thread.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Nae withstanding its 'less straightforward' ushering-in of warmer, sunnier conditions, generally, the GFS 00Z has us firmly ensconced on the southern side of the jet. Always a god thing?:oldgood:

h500slp.png   h850t850eu.png

And the GEFS ensembles reflect that, with T850s mostly between 5 and 10C:

t850London.png   prmslLondon.png

And, consequently, maxes lying largely in the range 20 to 25C:

t2mLondon.png   prcpLondon.png

It all looks pretty darn good to me!:oldgood:

• Like 6

Posted

Although the EPS medium term anomaly is looking at a more fluid Atlantic with a westerly upper flow around a weak ridge/trough combination, the flow is not strong and positive anomalies cover the Atlantic so nothing particularly drastic and one would expect a fair amount of influence from the subtropical high centered away to the south west and thus a relatively dry period with temps perhaps nudging a tad above average

8-13.thumb.png.034235f87e931811905a4e5b4d49af04.pngindex.thumb.png.de3115568fbc97f05892adb47a9ff8ed.png

Edited by knocker
  • Like 3

Ugh, big old watering down of the settled and warm end to August, looks like an upper trough could get anchored over the UK and really anything more than the odd decent looking unlikely in the reliable time frame. BH weekend could be a stinker if that low get wedged between high pressure to our west and east!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

The GEFS 0z mean in the mid / longer term looks very similar to yesterday, no downgrade, at worst it's a north / south split with plenty of azores high / ridge influence for southern uk once this very unsettled autumnal spell ends early next week..gradual improvement next week, mainly for the south...likewise the Ecm 0z ensemble mean, becoming predominantly much better for the south with increasing ridging, and pleasantly warm.

Edited by Jon Snow
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

ECM op this morning was a cool and unsettled outlier - thankfully. Still not looking as promising as it was 1-2 days ago as low pressure has more influence than previously thought.

image.thumb.png.aeb9337e2733eafc5024dda3f45bcf73.pngimage.thumb.png.8fb11e1db1e368471653a0d7866162be.pngimage.thumb.png.0536c1b8c9cecc48ef6b511ca54a3b3f.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.

I feel a little uncertainty creeping in on here today!! With Bank Holiday approaching, it's to be expected.. It's a much better ECM mean than the op though... Obviously it could still all go wrong, but has it stands... Not to bad. 

EDM1-120.gif

EDM1-144.gif

EDM1-168.gif

EDM1-192.gif

EDM1-240.gif

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

h850t850eu.png h850t850eu.png

On seeing the additional trough disruption in the 00z runs, I thought 'fair enough that it exists, but surely not that far east?'.

The 06z FV3 has adjusted west, which I agree with, but hasn't disrupted the trough as much, so it doesn't show the possibility that arose in my mind for a very warm feed from the southeast to feature next weekend, ahead of a Scandinavian High taking over proceedings.

Looks like we'll instead see the 'ridge exchange' solution that was dominant yesterday for the 10-14 day period; a new ridge pushing across quickly from the southwest, with a brief incursion of cooler air.

Before all that, the settling down day for the south has firmed up as Tue 20th, while it remains less clear for the north - anywhere between 21st and 23rd and that's assuming the 00z FV3 and ECM runs were wayward with their sliding of a trough southeast through the UK.

I've long been focusing on this settling down, as the autumnal near-term is being well covered by Knocker especially, and to be frank, it doesn't interest me much at this time of year unless the winds are exceptionally strong, which isn't expected this time around (though I will concede that widespread 30-40 mph gusts is not standard fayre).

• Like 5

Posted

Just to show how these models have completely different ideas at day 10...just look at the 0z and 6z at day 10....yes a long way off... But quite some discrepancies either way! 

gfs-0-240.png

gfs-0-240 (1).png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
14 hours ago, knocker said:

There appears to be a lot going on upstream with tonight's outputs with intense Aleutian lows and TPV in the western Arctic resulting in the settled warm spell not looking quite so nailed on this evening. There is no particular agreement with the anomalies but the GEFS and EPS have both backtracked This is not to say the weather will not show a marked improvement and at the moment merely something to keep an eye on

9-14.thumb.png.323d55acad7d3e0033312135ce3f98df.pnggfs-nhemi-z500_anom_5day-7080000.thumb.png.a4f7ad97bf3297c6da0c10d036076d8f.png814day_03.thumb.gif.f2eb2c6d26872bcbf75ea295f6aa5953.gif

yep, thats one thing thats bothered me, ( going off the noaa charts alone ), whilst they suggest a +ive pressure rise, they still are not on board for a large strong anticyclone that a lot of op runs have been (and still are) suggesting. the main event now is suggested just fter the bank holiday.

Posted

A not entirely unexpected hint of HP out west, on today's 06Z...I wonder if it could be a NWPM's overreaction to an NWPM-predicted (or actual?) uptick in easterly trade winds, in the Pacific?:unsure2:

h850t850eu.png   h500slp.png

PS: I'm still a beginner!:oldgood:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
4 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

Nae withstanding its 'less straightforward' ushering-in of warmer, sunnier conditions, generally, the GFS 00Z has us firmly ensconced on the southern side of the jet. Always a god thing?:oldgood:

And the GEFS ensembles reflect that, with T850s mostly between 5 and 10C:

And, consequently, maxes lying largely in the range 20 to 25C:

It all looks pretty darn good to me!:oldgood:

A bit of divine intervention works every time Ed 

• Like 5

Posted

The 06Z ensembles are also okay.:oldgood:

Some very nice maxes in there...:yahoo:

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*
2 hours ago, Mattwolves said:

Just to show how these models have completely different ideas at day 10...just look at the 0z and 6z at day 10....yes a long way off... But quite some discrepancies either way! 

gfs-0-240.png

gfs-0-240 (1).png

Key thing to note is:

Lower heights to the north + low pressure near Iceland 

Azores high edging NE towards the UK

Big Russian high 

UK weather will flop flop every run but at least the gfs isn’t showing a zonal pattern with low pressure systems hitting the UK

Edited by Panayiotis
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Looking at the GEFS 6z there's a high chance of high pressure dominating towards the end of august, the signal strengthens longer term. As for next week it's an improving picture compared to this week, especially southern uk with ridge replacing ridge further south.

• Like 2

Posted

Looking at the extended ecm 0z ensembles out to the end of the month.... Sea level pressure coming in at 1020mb,so definitely signs of some settled conditions.... Caution, a fair amount of scatter!! The temperature mean is not suggestive of a major warm up either.... This would do me and a fair few others fine!! Low 20s and relatively cool nights could be a decent call.... Beyond that who knows!!! And hey ho, give me another month and I will be close to getting my winter head on.... 

• Like 2

Posted

H/t Simon Lee (it's certainly been wet in these parts today)

An unseasonably deep (978 hPa at 06Z) cyclone NW of the British Isles is associated with an atmospheric river bringing deep subtropical moisture. 00Z sounding from Valentia, Ireland had 40 mm precipitable water with 562 dam thickness!

ECFF0OuUcAABp1P.thumb.jpg.55ec0a43883b7f95f5f2607e11e96d8f.jpg

Posted

More promising from the gfs vis the holiday weekend (at the moment)

The Atlantic trough is disrupted Friday/Sat as the European subtropical high amplifies which facilitates north east ridging from it's Atlantic counterpart

gfs-nhemi-z500_anom-6572400.thumb.png.88df6192fb3e5d4b1c5968f45563ce0b.pnggfs-nhemi-z500_anom-6658800.thumb.png.853b57102c7ba9774c4ec3dda9bfd4da.pnggfs-nhemi-z500_anom-6756000.thumb.png.4492ebb4b8387f6e468a535406f5d9c1.pnggfs-eur-t850_mslp_prcp6hr-6756000.thumb.png.02576fcd0bc1287b454c22082b6fb192.png

• Like 5

Posted

The end of the 12Z run/ensembles looks as good as the 06Zs looked (almost) bad. I think it's fair to say that the question of which centre of HP, if either, will dominate is far from settled?:oldgrin:

prmslLondon.png   t850London.png

The outlook could be far worse!:yahoo:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Gfs has totally gone off on one tonight, ecm looks ok...probably end up somewhere in between. A lot of sorting out to still be done.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

Evening everyone. :oldsmile:
Thought I'd throw in what the CFS V2 is forecasting, and see if this can shed a bit of light on the upcoming 'settled' spell.

Week one shows us a trough of low pressure anchored just off the North West of Scotland, so I would imagine that being a continuation of this current unsettled/autumnal spell of weather. ?️?️
Week two however (which takes us pretty much through to the end of August) shows us here in the UK under a rather large ridge of high pressure, and I would say looking at it, that it could fetch us warm easterly winds! So if you're after a late burst of summer... This does look very promising indeed! ☀️?️
And then weeks three and four, from the very end of August through to the 12th of September... One word... Plumey!!! Now as someone who enjoys thunderstorms, this has really gotten my interest! Two weeks worth of Spanish Plume(s)? Yes please!!  ☀️?️⛈️:yahoo:

As ever this is the CFS V2, so please take it with a gritter load of salt, but hey, lets see what happens. :pardon:

wk1.wk2_20190815.z500.gif

wk3.wk4_20190815.z500.gif

• Like 2