Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - hot spell beckons but then what?

Paul
Message added by Paul

This thread = Models, models and more models
Please remember that this thread is for discussing the model output only. If you want to chat about the summer weather more generally, please use the Summer chat and moans thread.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

We know its bad when at 7pm on an August Saturday there is no 12z comment.

Needless to say its pretty much low after low even if as Tamara alludes to they try pump a weak ridge first. Another low arrives Friday (quite a large feature) then another for day 11 (runs south and is deepending as it arrives) before a larger feature towards day 15 (a moist SW flow could bring some large rainfall totals).

Not a shred of settled weather on the horizon from that run.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
16 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

We know its bad when at 7pm on an August Saturday there is no 12z comment.

Needless to say its pretty much low after low even if as Tamara alludes to they try pump a weak ridge first. Another low arrives Friday (quite a large feature) then another for day 11 (runs south and is deepending as it arrives) before a larger feature towards day 15 (a moist SW flow could bring some large rainfall totals).

Not a shred of settled weather on the horizon from that run.

Indeed it is such a pain these lows are timed for the weekend. Another weekend of plans potentially scuppered. Then another one ganging up for the Bank Holiday weekend. Each one is coming in further south too despite drawing up pretty warm uppers ahead of them. Not far to the east over Europe there will be high temperatures.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Longer term the GEFS 12z mean shows a marked improvement, at least further south, as it has for a while now. Increasing chance of high pressure and warmer temperatures towards the end of august which ties in with the thoughts of those who cannot be named!!.

21_318_500mb.thumb.png.b2788f812866ec8a46acdecd16752a2c.png21_342_500mb.thumb.png.91d4ce66b1796f3fb192fcf4bf02eb48.png21_366_500mb.thumb.png.ca13ca91d79f460a0adaad7e982f4454.png

Edited by Jon Snow
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

A bit of a warming trend, post Day 9:oldgrin:, but other than that, no real sign of any long-lasting fine weather...?

prmslLondon.png   t850London.png

t2mLondon.png   prcpLondon.png

Though, it's fair to say that once the deep low has passed pressure and T850s look likely to slowly rise, towards the SE. One run. One model!:oldgood:

h500slp.png   h850t850eu.png

And, in the meantime, the doomsayers can delight in the inevitability that Autumn'll start on Day 22!:shok:

• Like 7

Posted

The end of the Ecm 12z operational is encouraging with a ridge encroaching from the west!

1073602296_240_mslp500(1).thumb.png.63ed95dbb5f680d2288879c007f3a3c0.png

Edited by Jon Snow
  • Like 3

Posted
57 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

Longer term the GEFS 12z mean shows a marked improvement, at least further south, as it has for a while now. Increasing chance of high pressure and warmer temperatures towards the end of august which ties in with the thoughts of those who cannot be named!!.

21_318_500mb.thumb.png.b2788f812866ec8a46acdecd16752a2c.png21_342_500mb.thumb.png.91d4ce66b1796f3fb192fcf4bf02eb48.png21_366_500mb.thumb.png.ca13ca91d79f460a0adaad7e982f4454.png

Just had a butcher's at my local NW forecast (GFS-based?) for next weekend, karl: minima of 17 and maxima of 19-20C -- so daily means of between 18 and 18.5C...I don't know about you but, to my mind, that'll be feeling warm and humid?:oldgrin:

• Like 3

Posted
19 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Just had a butcher's at my local NW forecast (GFS-based?) for next weekend, karl: minima of 17 and maxima of 19-20C -- so daily means of between 18 and 18.5C...I don't know about you but, to my mind, that'll be feeling warm and humid?:oldgrin:

Indeed.  I cannot see this month being below average at this stage, despite the unsettled theme for now.  Still feeling humid today, despite the breezy conditions!  I still feel that the final week of the month could be hot.

• Like 1

Posted

Well what can one say about tonight's Ecm 12z ensemble mean at day 10?...I will say this, it's better than any of the days before it, especially for the south!

EDM1-240.thumb.gif.3aa1fec65759ba5100a646f69961e814.gif

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: wintry
1 hour ago, Ed Stone said:

A bit of a warming trend, post Day 9:oldgrin:, but other than that, no real sign of any long-lasting fine weather...?

Though, it's fair to say that once the deep low has passed pressure and T850s look likely to slowly rise, towards the SE. One run. One model!:oldgood:

And, in the meantime, the doomsayers can delight in the inevitability that Autumn'll start on Day 22!:shok:

Not being a doomsayer, but seeing is believing, especially given the last few days!

• Like 1

Posted
6 hours ago, Tamara said:

Yay! Job completed.

You just never know... there's going to be a lot of those beasts cantering over the snowy (sunny) uplands this winter. 

Good job on the weather analysis too. 

• Like 3

Posted
10 hours ago, JeffC said:

Not being a doomsayer, but seeing is believing, especially given the last few days!

And it might be a long time in coming, Jeff? Eye-candy at Day 16?:oldgrin:

And, the GEFS 00Z ensembles...

Plenty of cooler, more comfortable nights to enjoy, though.

• Like 3

Posted

The Ecm 0z is looking unsettled but day 10 + shows an improvement as ridging encroaches from the south & west.

1205016386_240_mslp500(1).thumb.png.7577ff485ea29db24b3cef895f04ebc9.png

Edited by Jon Snow
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

Morning all!

Glorious spell of Summer weather (warmth, mild nights, plenty of sunshine, thunderstorms/convection) has finally ended here - pretty much non stop since July 31st)

Definitely feels like Autumn out there today! (Currently 14c, cool NNW wind and raining - far cry from the 22c yesterday)

1 hour ago, Ed Stone said:

Plenty of cooler, more comfortable nights to enjoy, though.

We get to enjoy cool nights and a comfortable sleep 9 months of the year in the UK and Ireland - bring back the muggy/humid nights! It’s Summer after all!

Hopefully the end of August delivers something hot once again - this GFS chart for 23rd August would be perfect if all that heat in France would push North West!

00151676-A2FB-49D4-8BF8-69F3892AB57D.thumb.png.9484480b6fd0fc7d7c09149b1d919a12.png

It is a big ask at the moment for that to happen but I will continue to hope for the best! ☀️

Have a good Sunday everyone!

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

With no real recovery forecast in either the AO or NAO any time soon, it looks like the earliest we may see any change is the final 7 days of the month - and even this isn’t a gimme.

https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/814day/500mb.php

NOAA 14 day outlook still looks about as bad as you’d wish to see.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

Morning everyone. :oldsmile:
I've just cast my eyes over the monthly CFS charts. Well, what can I say? It looks like autumn has arrived here in the UK, with low pressure more of less over us!. ?️?️
But then at the end of August, it looks like autumn is starting to fade (or at least catch its breath), and summer conditions arrive thanks to a high pressure riding in from off the Atlantic, just in time for the start of autumn! :blink2::oldlaugh:
As ever, this is the low resolution CFS, and I am but a mere amateur, and above all else the weather will do whatever the weather will do. :pardon:

wk1.wk2_20190810.z500.gif

wk3.wk4_20190810.z500.gif

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
2 hours ago, Mr Frost said:

00151676-A2FB-49D4-8BF8-69F3892AB57D.thumb.png.9484480b6fd0fc7d7c09149b1d919a12.png

Perhaps this is what summer will look like more often after October 31st... 

Signs of pressure rises after next weekend but that of course means another week of wasted time. ECM looks less ridiculously autumnal than the GFS

I’m personally hoping for at least a week of settled sunshine between the 20th and 27th. After that it can do what it likes as I go away in search of summer for the third time this year lol.

• Like 1

Posted

Not much cause for optimism in today's GEFS 06Z ensembles...:oldsad:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

The ridge development is starting to show a bit more, albeit tentatively, in the modelling.

Even if the NAO does find a way to stay negative, that doesn’t preclude a drier and warmer spell if the blocking high is far west enough. Something I forgot to mention the other day when I was thinking more in terms of UK-Scandi trough persistence.

Tamara has as usual summarised as well as anyone could the reasons why changes are anticipated, and please take note of what she says regarding the methodology here.

Its not just pattern matching. In fact, I’ve tried that with the GWO/AAM/tropical zonal winds and its not produced any confident results. It instead involves applying known cause & effect while allowing for distorting factors such as the drastically changed Arctic troposphere and (more intermittently) lower stratosphere. 

Heres one simplified take: If you know that the tropics and mid-latitude patterns are intrinsically connected, and then the tropics change substantially, it makes intuitive sense to anticipate changes in the mid-latitudes too .

• Like 6

Posted
6 hours ago, MP-R said:

I’m personally hoping for at least a week of settled sunshine between the 20th and 27th. After that it can do what it likes as I go away in search of summer for the third time this year lol.

Snap! Off to The Algarve on Aug 28th for 2 weeks

Posted

Take a look at how the GEFS 12z mean improves between the mid and longer range!..we may yet salvage something good from August, at least southern uk!

21_174_500mb.thumb.png.4c376f824d9fc2db9b0a8312a6e5c2b8.png21_288_500mb.thumb.png.0c909d6f617f6f13b0df58682b133f09.png21_336_500mb.thumb.png.c90d590a65e57f6f1120548e4a0a496e.png21_366_500mb.thumb.png.82e78591caee5fd84bf3fc55795fdbff.png 

• Like 3

Posted

Today's GEFS 12Z ensembles have what looks like a signal-for-improvement commencing at around Day 7!

t850London.png   prmslLondon.png

Well...sort of!:oldgrin:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS

Wow next weekend looks very stormy . ECM 12z for Saturday and Sunday. 

BB1A2326-FF1B-4F71-8FB5-E910C54DE331.png

191448A8-0D69-49E4-AF56-CE4A5C019491.png

• Like 2