Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - hot spell beckons but then what?

Paul
Message added by Paul

This thread = Models, models and more models
Please remember that this thread is for discussing the model output only. If you want to chat about the summer weather more generally, please use the Summer chat and moans thread.

Posted
5 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

UKMO has 37’C around the Wash, North London and North Kent on Thursday.

Think it had the same figure this morning but more towards london!!when the ukmo is forecasting such highs you.know we are in a serious heatwave here!!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Add the Gem 12z to the hot list ...looking beyond this heatwave, the Gem shows plenty of warmth in and around the mid 20's celsius range!!!

gem-0-48.thumb.png.ecd53585969d3f37cbd8155d987d593f.pnggem-1-48.thumb.png.88d92162c7e8b3e7338eddda94713e42.pnggem-1-60.thumb.png.ff13abedce8dec2f300744b8f56b7df4.pnggem-1-66.thumb.png.8e318bfd4ae241044c6c621582bade27.pnggem-1-72.thumb.png.8f225a6d1dfba00f7b0fe59182b05292.png

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.
44 minutes ago, Met4Cast said:

This has to be the most insane chart I've ever seen.

WHAT.thumb.png.6089a69ff6904432ef429b875301eca9.png

We're not just talking about breaking the all time record in one or two spots, but across many parts of England, temperatures WIDELY 36-38c with local spots of 39c.. if this model is correct then surely we are looking at a potential hyperlocal 40c..

40c could be breached yes. I would say about a 50% chance now. 100% chance of the July record going, and a 70% ish chance of 38.5c being breached also. 

It really is a fierce heatwave and I have never seen charts showing 39c two days out, it is actually amazing. 

I was in the Colchester area today and it reached 34c. You only need another 4.5c to be equalling the all time record, and 6c to reach 40c. Also, bear in mind, London will be a couple of degrees hotter than Colchester at least. Quite doable with two days warming to go. 

Edited by matty007
  • Like 1

Posted

GEFS 12z mean for thursday..not bad is it!!!

Friday more pleasant but still very warm further east.

21_54_850tmp.thumb.png.b6384987527161a03f453e0cdeeaf918.png21_54_2mtmpmax.thumb.png.71979b64ec8922773b19e6ca9b0fed55.png21_78_2mtmpmax.thumb.png.8f220202401ffe1e5d2c80ae580ac4c0.png21_78_850tmp.thumb.png.aa04380c26c30371a94d41177c9094df.png

• Like 5

Posted
9 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

Roll on the weekend for me!

Incredible watching the charts and waiting to see if all time records do go in various places. But it really is far too hot for me but enjoy it folks that do like such heat. BUT beware the sun even when more normal temperatures arrive, skin cancer takes decades at times to show up!

While I am a heat lover, even I can appreciate it will be too hot for some. Approaching 40c really is extreme for the UK. I expect a lot of people will be pulling sickies on Thursday (especially in London area). Can't say i blame them. 

Me, I will have a day off, as I work in a catering van, and it would likely be over 55c including cooking temperatures. I'm just going to soak up the sun and enjoy this upcoming monumental day. I have never worn sunscreen in my life, even when I went to Thailand. My skin has never burned for some reason and I don't seem to feel temperatures like others do. But yes, I would urge most people to wear the strongest sunscreen possible and limit sun exposure. 

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, matty007 said:

While I am a heat lover, even I can appreciate it will be too hot for some. Approaching 40c really is extreme for the UK. I expect a lot of people will be pulling sickies on Thursday (especially in London area). Can't say i blame them. 

Me, I will have a day off, as I work in a catering van, and it would likely be over 55c including cooking temperatures. I'm just going to soak up the sun and enjoy this upcoming monumental day. I have never worn sunscreen in my life, even when I went to Thailand. My skin has never burned for some reason and I don't seem to feel temperatures like others do. But yes, I would urge most people to wear the strongest sunscreen possible and limit sun exposure. 

Although you will get just as burnt at 20C as you would at 40C as long as the sun exposure is identical. What’s more important is keeping hydrated and staying out of direct sunlight where possible.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, matty007 said:

You look quite tanned in your pic

Wouldn't blame anyone pulling a sickie on Thursday. Insane heat forecast across a wide area. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
2 minutes ago, matty007 said:

better than 15 degrees and rain, affects my chest at this time of year it it's wet and cool

Posted
Just now, Djdazzle said:

Although you will get just as burnt at 20C as you would at 40C as long as the sun exposure is identical. What’s more important is keeping hydrated and staying out of direct sunlight where possible.

This is true. It's all down to UV levels. 

I can sit in direct sun for 6 hours without a hint of burning or redness. Despite me being white British. Then again, the doctor always said I have a lot of melanin in my skin. It's not that i'm careless, I just have never had a need to wear sunscreen. I just don't burn.

However, a close friend of mine burns so easily even in low UV and frequently gets cancerous skin tumours. Some people have to be very careful indeed. it's all genetics 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

The GEFS 12Z ensembles are...really rather spiffing -- wot, wot,wot?

t850London.png   t2mLondon.png prcpLondon.png   prmslLondon.png

Bloody marvellous day, today -- should you like lots of hot air, old bean!:oldgood:

Edited by Ed Stone
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.

Great Post by Jon Holmes, I've worked outside most of my life and tan easily, still ages you though!! Let folks make up there own minds in that respect... Fantastic ecm.... I'm sure that heat is a tad further West again.... In the words of Bernard Matthews.... Bootyfull. 

ECM0-48.gif

Edited by Mattwolves
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS

How strange the ECM 12z has updated fully already . It’s usually not complete until 19:55 ?  it starts to lose the extreme uppers it’s unbearable. Low pressure getting close around day 6 .

06138801-42C5-4A21-B55B-40581F28FFA7.png

1FB97376-07FA-450E-8451-BD8B959EB676.png

11F15A32-C196-49CC-8BE4-52F7DD93CFD8.png

6C1B3BA8-2FF8-469B-8547-52EAF6979699.png

59A7CD82-2A7F-42C3-9AED-A04A6450FD02.png

Edited by Mapantz
Removed some comments
  • Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, ICE COLD said:

How strange the ECM 12z has updated fully already . It’s usually not complete until 19:55 ?  it starts to lose the extreme uppers it’s unbearable. Low pressure getting close around day 6 .

06138801-42C5-4A21-B55B-40581F28FFA7.png

1FB97376-07FA-450E-8451-BD8B959EB676.png

11F15A32-C196-49CC-8BE4-52F7DD93CFD8.png

6C1B3BA8-2FF8-469B-8547-52EAF6979699.png

59A7CD82-2A7F-42C3-9AED-A04A6450FD02.png

That's strange... Its only at day 6 with meteociel. 

Ps... Those charts are 0z ice.... You gerrin a little overly excited mate...

Edited by Mattwolves
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
Just now, Mattwolves said:

That's strange... Its only at day 6 with meteociel. 

Aye, think they are 12Z actually, never known it complete now

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS
1 minute ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

aren't all those charts 00Z?

It’s says ECM 12z top left but has the time stamp 00z in the top right . Who knows mate . 

Posted

Ecm 12z looks hot on thursday..bring the damn  second wave already!!!! 

ECM1-48.gifECM0-48.thumb.gif.1e988073ec60f6e19a5332fba31076fa.gif

Edited by Jon Snow
  • Like 6

Posted

Ecm is only out to day 7.... Here it is.. 

ECM0-168.gif

ECM1-168.gif

• Like 2

Posted

Yikes... Check out day 9 on ECM.. Some serious heights over Greenland.... 1040mb...

ECM0-216.gif

ECM1-216.gif

Signs of it warming up again though by the end of the run... Everytime I see those Greenland heights I panic.... Early June... Oh no... But it doesn't spell the end of our warmth... Far from it. 

ECM1-240.gif

ECM0-240.gif

Edited by Mattwolves
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
6 minutes ago, Mattwolves said:

Exceptional for who? 

Persistent heavy rain down the spine of the country.

• Like 1