Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Composting

Snipper

Posted

As a volunteer at a charity I am a gardener.  My task is mainly dealing with the vast amounts of green waste by composting. Every year I see the odd snake or evidence of it (old egg shells) but today there were piles squirming around the compost heaps. This was after wrapping on the sides to encourage them to slide off elsewhere.  After skewering one on my long handled fork by mistake I gave up. I am sure Chis Packham would be annoyed if I had continued. 

Do I advertise the fact by warning the public of the snakes ? Not as if they are poisonous. Just squirmy things that many find most upsetting  

So what to do? Give up goes against the grain.  

What would you do about a lot of green waste if you are trying to maintain an historic garden of about an acre?  No rear access, no place to place a skip, a wish to maintain the general character of the garden, a wish by some volunteers not to use any chemical option in even in the short term .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.

Do you know which types of snakes they are or even slow worms.

I think by law you must tell them due to this PC world we live in, as if it was proven that you knew and someone got scared or bitten you would take the wrap, sad world...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.
On 11/07/2019 at 18:50, Snipper said:

As a volunteer at a charity I am a gardener.  My task is mainly dealing with the vast amounts of green waste by composting. Every year I see the odd snake or evidence of it (old egg shells) but today there were piles squirming around the compost heaps. This was after wrapping on the sides to encourage them to slide off elsewhere.  After skewering one on my long handled fork by mistake I gave up. I am sure Chis Packham would be annoyed if I had continued. 

Do I advertise the fact by warning the public of the snakes ? Not as if they are poisonous. Just squirmy things that many find most upsetting  

So what to do? Give up goes against the grain.  

What would you do about a lot of green waste if you are trying to maintain an historic garden of about an acre?  No rear access, no place to place a skip, a wish to maintain the general character of the garden, a wish by some volunteers not to use any chemical option in even in the short term .

Morning Snipper,

This might be better of in the gardening thread as it seems to have got lost.

Posted
On 15/07/2019 at 11:31, seaside 60 said:

Morning Snipper,

This might be better of in the gardening thread as it seems to have got lost.

Good point. Rather thinking Hissing Sid and friends was more to do with nature.