Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn 2019 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
10 hours ago, Mattwolves said:

Those LRF signals again Don! I think far to much is read into those AO predictions as well. We had quite a few who said summer would be a complete write off based on those - AO musings! I pointed out a couple of weeks ago about Jon hammond saying there was a lot of head scratching going on this year, regarding the winter ahead! Contradicting signals, and some signals over riding others! There are no concrete signals on this coming winter if you ask me. Personally, and this may seem lame... I don't think for a minute that after last years cold fail from exeter, they would stick there neck on the line for a 2nd year running, by going for an all out cold prognosis!! I feel its possible that this year they have played the law of averages solution, with the knowledge that a UK winter is more likely to be mild, than cold!! You could kind of make a prediction for a UK winter to be milder than average, and be correct 80/90% of the time, without even looking at the models!! That doesn't make it correct though! Fascinating winter ahead in my opinion, most definitely I feel more action than last years narnia winter that completely failed. 

It’s good to keep an open mind but at the moment my expectation is for a mild and wet winter.  That way I won’t be as disappointed if it turns out to be true!  You can’t beat a pleasant surprise, however.

Edited by Don

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All 4 seasons and a good mixture of everything and anything!
13 minutes ago, Don said:

It’s good to keep an open mind but at the moment my expectation is for a mild and wet winter.  That way I won’t be as disappointed if it turns out to be true!  You can’t beat a pleasant surprise, however.

I think you're expectation has an above average chance of being right - statistically at least - since cold Winters are a 1 in 10 year type of thing for the UK..

But they do happen.

• Like 1

Posted
45 minutes ago, StretfordEnd1996 said:

I think you're expectation has an above average chance of being right - statistically at least - since cold Winters are a 1 in 10 year type of thing for the UK..

But they do happen.

Hopefully we will have a colder winter during the next couple of years, following solar minimum.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Clear blue sky,slight breeze and 1.5c, Can't get better than this for a Autumnal day!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

OMG blue skies and sunshine, have missed you 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Cloudy and drab all day here.  520.8mm of rain for Autumn, 214.8mm above my average. Tomorrow looks cloudy as well.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall

Judging by the change in its15-30 day outlook perhaps the Meto models are picking up a colder signal too.

Now going for longer colder spells later in December.  The grudging march away from Glosea's seasonal forecast continues.

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

There’ll be no steamrollering on that run, the only evolution is slider and so much snow.  There is deep, deep cold flooding down from the arctic.....a winner set up for very cold winter conditions.

For those that keep saying it won’t happen....  I get the caution but this is following the script, run after run is showing this evolution.....so imo there is more than just a chance.....we are on the playing field my friends.....

BFTP

Can you not ramp in the appropriate threads? Like in here?

A similar post to one you made 9 days ago about 'big snow' across the Midlands for Wednesday just gone.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
2 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Can you not ramp in the appropriate threads? Like in here?

A similar post to one you made 9 days ago about 'big snow' across the Midlands for Wednesday just gone.

Stick to your cloudy and drab

BFTP

Posted
6 minutes ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

Stick to your cloudy and drab

BFTP

I will do, thanks. 

Any idea what happened to that big snow? I thought perhaps you might have posted about what went wrong?

Edited by Mapantz
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
Just now, Mapantz said:

I will do, thanks. 

Any idea what happened to that big snow? I thought perhaps you might have posted about what went wrong?

Oh the LP will track too far south.  The cold is here, it isn’t cloudy and drab here...

BFTP

Posted
On 28/11/2019 at 19:48, Don said:

I think it’s going to be like 2018/19, but without the very mild end(late Feb).

My prediction is it will be chilly and then quite mild in the second half of December, then temps will drop around Christmas Day, which will lead a very cold new year and first half of January. Possibly the coldest since 2010 or even 1987. 

February will be on the mild side, but it won’t be a sunny one. Mostly dull and mild, but dry throughout. Winter will end on a rather disappointing note. January will be the coldest month.

Posted
1 hour ago, Beet said:

Glorious day. If we can't get a snowy December, some lengthy periods of sunshine and frost will suffice.

Yes I will take this, even over snow. Cold and sunny is actually my favourite. 

Posted
5 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Hopefully not a 1987/88 winter. That was a stinker. 

Yes, that was the start of a run of stinkers!  The following winter was even worse.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
23 minutes ago, DAVID SNOW said:

Forecasts go wrong, have a look at the met office and their Autumn probabilities.

But it didn't go wrong, Dave...It would only have 'gone wrong' had the Autumn ended-up in a category assigned a zero% probability...:oldgrin:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
Just now, Don said:

Yes, that was the start of a run of stinkers!  The following winter was even worse.

not a run of stinkers here, stinkers here started 98-99

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
3 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

1987/1988 is when the more pronounced warming trend started. The 90s had some good spells but it was a pretty crap decade for snow overall.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 2

Posted
13 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Yes I will take this, even over snow. Cold and sunny is actually my favourite. 

Gone off cold and sunny, without snow on the ground that is, these spells do not excite me, as everyone should admit, there is zero chance of snow at low levels this 'cold' spell which will end Thursday night

Edited by I remember Atlantic 252

Posted
5 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Yes, I believe the midlands northwards did pretty well during the 90’s, even in the milder winters?  Not so in the south though.

Edited by Don

Posted
1 minute ago, Don said:

Yes, I believe the midlands northwards did pretty well during the 90’s, even during the milder winters?  Not so in the south though.

90 - 94 saw some good snowfall events down here. After that, I had to wait until 2009 to see anything substantial.

Posted
1 minute ago, Mapantz said:

90 - 94 saw some good snowfall events down here. After that, I had to wait until 2009 to see anything substantial.

Aye, here extend that to Jan '98