Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn 2019 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

A level 2 cold weather alert is in place for northern England until Wednesday

Current alert level: Level 2 - Alert and Readiness

Issued at: 08:44 on Mon 18 Nov 2019

There is a 70% probability of severe cold weather between 0900 on Monday 18 Nov and 1200 on Wednesday 20 Nov in parts of England. This weather could increase the health risks to vulnerable patients and disrupt the delivery of services. Please refer to the national Cold Weather Plan and your Trust's emergency plan for appropriate preventive action.

Cold and largely settled to start the week with widespread night time frosts, particularly across the north of the country. Temperatures will struggle to recover by day, despite the sunshine, and may be suppressed further by overnight freezing fog patches. Because of this, the trigger criteria is expected to be met across parts of northeast England, northwest England and Yorkshire and Humber. From Wednesday onwards, the weather will turn more unsettled from the west with increased wind, cloud and rain which will slowly raise average temperatures across England. Despite this, it will remain rather cold across eastern parts until the weekend.

An update will be issued when the alert level changes in any region. Alerts are issued once a day by 0900 if required and are not subject to amendment in between standard issue times. Note that the details of the forecast weather are valid at the time of issue but may change over the period that an alert remains in force. These details will not be updated here unless the alert level also changes, the latest forecast details can be obtained at the following link: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/#?tab=map 

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/cold-weather-alert/?tab=coldWeatherAlert&season=normal#?tab=coldWeatherAlert

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
3 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

A level 2 cold weather alert is in place for northern England until Wednesday

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/cold-weather-alert/?tab=coldWeatherAlert&season=normal#?tab=coldWeatherAlert

what is classed as severe cold...0c?

• Like 2

Posted

I don't know the general limits - presumably they work off a host of weather factors and not just temperature - but that looks like the healthcare services alert rather than the weather alert. There has been confusion between the two in recent years. Level 1 is effectively a broad,  "It's winter so be ready for possible cold snaps in weeks ahead". Level 2 is effectively the first level for actual colder weather. Temperatures are set to be  down  to -5C in many places tonight with a few maybe pushing -10C. (Shap was -5.3C at 20:00) A bit of cold might not be a big deal where people are used to it but most of the UK does not get a lot of icy weather. As a result, people have silly and sad accidents. Exposed homeless people get hypothermia or worse as do drunks who fall asleep on the way home. Old people  - and maybe some not so old ones - slip on frost and ice away from help. Preconditions might be aggravated for all ages. Sadly, some people might lose their lives unnecessarily. In many cases, some more appropriate clothing and footwear (or extra hot food or heating) would have saved them but people in the UK often don't bother. They don't seem to understand that they'll be okay having a mishap at 5C but not at -5C. Anyway, the health service alert is a warning to carers to keep a closer eye on the more vulnerable and a warning that Accident and Emergency will see some extra cases of people coming in with fractures or aggravated existing conditions .

Looking at latest temperatures, it's possible the Level 2 alert should have extended further south. There are a few places in the Midlands and South already subzero.

Edited by Aleman
  • Like 2

Posted

I am a bit disappointed this rather colder UK night was not seen coming a bit sooner. I tend to buy cheap light blanket/throws (easy to wash and carry) from IKEA  , hats, gloves, scarves and socks in the post-Christmas sales from elsewhere, and take them all down to our local homeless shelter just ahead of the first significant cold spell after Christmas. Also, I buy cup-a-soups and pot noodles and some lidded paper cups to go with them. (Some stores will offer charity discount.)  Cheapest instant meals will do since you will get more for your money and help more people battle cold that way. (Don't forget some for veggies.) When the colder weather comes, the homeless go to the shelter to try get a room. The rooms are usually all taken but the staff can let them warm up for an hour or two, give them clean winter clothing and blankets, and send them on their way with a hot drink or instant meal. It could save someones life. I'd much rather do this than give money to national charities that use 50% of what you give on their expenses. I recommend it. It makes a difference for those most in need who aren't well catered for.

Edited by Aleman
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
9 minutes ago, Aleman said:

I am a bit disappointed this rather colder UK night was not seen coming a bit sooner. I tend to buy cheap light blanket/throws (easy to wash and carry) from IKEA  , hats, gloves, scarves and socks in the post-Christmas sales from elsewhere, and take them all down to our local homeless shelter just ahead of the first significant cold spell after Christmas. Also, I buy cup-a-soups and pot noodles and some lidded paper cups to go with them. (Some stores will offer charity discount.)  Cheapest instant meals will do since you will get more for your money and help more people battle cold that way. (Don't forget some for veggies.) When the colder weather comes, the homeless go to the shelter to try get a room. The rooms are usually all taken but the staff can let them warm up for an hour or two, give them clean winter clothing and blankets, and send them on their way with a hot drink or instant meal. It could save someones life. I'd much rather do this than give money to national charities that use 50% of what you give on their expenses. I recommend it. It makes a difference for those most in need who aren't well catered for.

you wouldn't believe how many homeless people there are here in Edmonton...how they survive when the majority of the year temps are below freezing at night and can get as low as -40c and -50c if you account for the wind chill is beyond me

Posted
12 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

you wouldn't believe how many homeless people there are here in Edmonton...how they survive when the majority of the year temps are below freezing at night and can get as low as -40c and -50c if you account for the wind chill is beyond me

Yes  that sounds brutal   of course it's all relative  but a cold spell in autumn  is not that bad   it's cold in the winter that does the damage   it really is a national disgrace    

• Like 1

Posted
19 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

That's astonishing.

I landed up mildly hypothermic while boarding  at just -36C wind chill a few years ago. At the time I was wearing my best cold weather kit, all exposed skin covered.

Theres a rough rule for temperature - windchill - survivability.

30/30/30

-30C with a 30mph wind you'll last around 30 minutes while wearing regular day wear.

Edited by Sceptical

Posted
7 hours ago, Sceptical said:

That's astonishing.

I landed up mildly hypothermic while boarding  at just -36C wind chill a few years ago. At the time I was wearing my best cold weather kit, all exposed skin covered.

30/30/30

-30C with a 30mph wind you'll last around 30 minutes while wearing regular day wear.

just speculating but maybe many homeless because they know they'll always get shelter there? 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

Because I'm annoyed by the endless Express weather spewing. And Ladbrokes now just think it is fine to make stuff up too. 

SnowBreadloaf2.jpg
WWW.NETWEATHER.TV

Will it snow, will we get a White Christmas, will it snow on the General Election Day and will there be another Beast from the East?

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
22 hours ago, Sceptical said:

That's astonishing.

30/30/30

I reckon i would be ok with a Normal coat, i doubt even my loathing of heat would help me to do my t-shirt job in that though, i have worn just a t-shirt with below freezing temps and a significant windchill before but doubt i could do -30c.

Posted
1 hour ago, feb1991blizzard said:

I reckon i would be ok with a Normal coat, i doubt even my loathing of heat would help me to do my t-shirt job in that though, i have worn just a t-shirt with below freezing temps and a significant windchill before but doubt i could do -30c.

Might be worth trying out?

Cairngorm summit would provide ideal test conditions. Straightforward hike up from the car park. The views are amazing and theres also the weather station where you can have a packed lunch etc.

If you are up for the challenge, give me a shout and I'll sort out a suitable day. Anything around -12C and a 40mph wind should provide the desired effect.

IMGP0269-1.jpg

Edited by Sceptical
  • Like 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, knocker said:

A nasty character slur appeared in the mod thread this morning suggesting everyone who posted in there was a 'cold chaser'

LOL!!

The pitch invader has been apprehended !!!

Now for a quick moan, today looks the last dry day for a while- we have had 4 or 5 seasonal days of Autumn weather with a cool breeze, great for walking.

Now for 7 days minimum of Wind and Rain.

Edited by northwestsnow
  • Like 1

Posted
26 minutes ago, knocker said:

A nasty character slur appeared in the mod thread this morning suggesting everyone who posted in there was a 'cold chaser'

Well that definitely doesn't apply to you @knocker 

Edited by jordan smith
  • Like 1

Posted

People clinging onto every run  and dissecting  charts in Fi  for me is becoming tiresome.  Each run will look vastly different at that range    nevermind its the GFS.    Think im just going to look at the UKMO going forward   only goes out to 144hr  and it is one of the best performing models. 

Edited by weirpig
  • Like 6

Posted

Are there any online tools to compare the evolution of a model's forecast with the actual weather of the day? I appreciate that some people post a chart and make a note to say they are logging it for future reference, as a comparison. Thanks. 

Posted

Today has felt like winter cold easterlies with a 3c max.

Coldest feeling day so far,yesterday certainly felt cold too with a SSEly at 6.1c max.

Edited by Snowyowl9
  • Like 1