Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn 2019 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted

Thank god we didn't need those standpipes and food rations after-all following that dry period in the summer - I would never have predicted a wet autumn in the UK in a million years.

Edited by Azazel
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!

Sunspot activity still at 0

Snow and ice pushing further south than it has for many years.

Models already showing tempting signs of snow...

Something is brewing this year.

• Like 3

Posted

What a thourally miserable day today and yet many are hyperventilating at the thought of more, and extended periods, of bad weather and misery in the form of cold and snow and ice. It's one of life's great mysteries.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
11 minutes ago, knocker said:

What a thourally miserable day today and yet many are hyperventilating at the thought of more, and extended periods, of bad weather and misery in the form of cold and snow and ice. It's one of life's great mysteries.

Almost as good a prospect as Brexit?!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot
4 hours ago, knocker said:

Today, another typical British day - cold, dark, cloudy and thoroughly depressing.

Edited by Norrance
A bit too over the top.
  • Like 1

Posted
9 hours ago, knocker said:

I hate feeling cold. That's why I prefer really cold, freezing, winter weather because when it freezes at least you stay dry and it's easy to dress up for. But when it's 0-10 degrees and raining there's just nothing you can do, either you wear waterproof clothing and get sweaty and cold, waterproof and windproof and get sticky and too hot or get a regular winter jacket and get cold and wet. When it is really really cold you can just put on a very light down jacket (mine is less than 200 grams but incredibly warm) , some are even lighter than just a t-shirt and you can move freely in them, unlike the type of jacket you need in milder winter weather. 

Oh and building snowmen and snowball fights are still fun even for "grown-ups" 

• Like 1

Posted
40 minutes ago, knocker said:

Ah yes the sheer beauty and the effects on the wildlife

squirrel-snow-e1547820527239.thumb.jpg.69b0401e748186b0cc24a5ecffae9513.jpg

Weather affects all wildlife. Do you think the current flooding is not effecting wildlife? Do you think a very mild winter does not effect wildlife? Winter 2013-14 was very mild but look the misery that caused with the flooding . Look at the summer of 2018, do you think the drought and wildfires  didn't  effect wildlife or the summer of 2012?

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

In any case the reason i would like freezing weather all year around is because of the effects on wildlife - have a phobia of moths and spiders and it would kill off all of those like permanently - i hate insects.

Posted

You are deliberately missing my original point.  Which was that it seems extremely odd to want bad weather of any description, I only highlighted cold and snow because that is very pertinent to this forum, that adversely effects people and wildlife. I assume nobody would go as far as wishing floods on people although I have seen comments hoping the track of an intense low would change so as not to miss the UK

• Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, knocker said:

You are deliberately missing my original point.  Which was that it seems extremely odd to want bad weather of any description, I only highlighted cold and snow because that is very pertinent to this forum, that adversely effects people and wildlife. I assume nobody would go as far as wishing floods on people although I have seen comments hoping the track of an intense low would change so as not to miss the UK

But a lot of the time very mild winters and very wet winters go hand in hand, so you cannot wish one without the other happening, Bartletts might be dry for the South but they can be very wet for Scotland, the safest setup to avoid severe weather in the UK in winter would be a high slap bang on top of us but you don't like cold, plus then we might end up with drought problems in the summer.

Edited by feb1991blizzard

Posted
11 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

In any case the reason i would like freezing weather all year around is because of the effects on wildlife - have a phobia of moths and spiders and it would kill off all of those like permanently - i hate insects.

Phobias are not nice.  But.......

First of all spiders are not insects.  Secondly, without insects we're in big trouble:

1-book-talk-bugs-NationalGeographic_2290
WWW.GOOGLE.CO.UK

There are 1.4 billion insects per person on this planet and we need (almost) every one of them.

It seems a rather extreme reaction to want insects wiped out and for your preferred means of achieving this to be something on a par with The Day After Tomorrow.

• Like 3

Posted
3 minutes ago, abruzzi spur said:

Phobias are not nice.  But.......

First of all spiders are not insects.  Secondly, without insects we're in big trouble:

1-book-talk-bugs-NationalGeographic_2290
WWW.GOOGLE.CO.UK

There are 1.4 billion insects per person on this planet and we need (almost) every one of them.

It seems a rather extreme reaction to want insects wiped out and for your preferred means of achieving this to be something on a par with The Day After Tomorrow.

Seriously we would be dead if spiders and moths became extinct?? - things become extinct from time to time, people need to get over it, if dinosaurs were not extinct, you probably would be.

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Seriously we would be dead if spiders and moths became extinct?? - things become extinct from time to time, people need to get over it, if dinosaurs were not extinct, you probably would be.

Oh dear.  I'll leave it there I think.

• Like 4

Posted
24 minutes ago, knocker said:

This site advertises Storm Chases in the US. Do you think people that go on these tours  hope they don't see any severe storms, tornadoes whilst there etc? 

Its a weather forum site, it's going to attract people who like severe weather. They want to see blizzards, they want that severe thunderstorm to strike. 

• Like 4

Posted
4 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

This site advertises Storm Chases in the US. Do you think people that go on these tours  hope they don't see any severe storms, tornadoes whilst there etc? 

Its a weather forum site, it's going to attract people who like severe weather. They want to see blizzards, they want that severe thunderstorm to strike. 

Yes, I remember Ian Fergusson stopped posting once because of people wanting 'That ECM' to verify becaue it would almost certainly lead to losses of life, yet he is a keen Thunderstorm chaser. If people followed warnings and advice etc like not walking on frozen lakes etc, there would be less deaths from cold and snow than other types of severe weather, surely any qualified meteorologist first got interested in weather because of interesting weather, not because of wall to wall sunshine an 22c Max temps.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Methinks this thread has taken a somewhat bizarre turn...To say the very least!:crazy:

• Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Methinks this thread has taken a somewhat bizarre turn...To say the very least!:crazy:

It is the netweather forum though, Pete:oldrofl: bizarre is its middle name on many occasions

• Like 3

Posted
21 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Yes, I remember Ian Fergusson stopped posting once because of people wanting 'That ECM' to verify becaue it would almost certainly lead to losses of life, yet he is a keen Thunderstorm chaser. If people followed warnings and advice etc like not walking on frozen lakes etc, there would be less deaths from cold and snow than other types of severe weather, surely any qualified meteorologist first got interested in weather because of interesting weather, not because of wall to wall sunshine an 22c Max temps.

But we are not talking about qualified meteorologists ( I assume that was your morning joke) but a bunch of chionophiles, possibly with a few pagophiles thrown in, let loose on an unsuspecting public 8)

Edited by knocker
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

Great read in here this morning...gave me a good chuckle or two!  (Especially the insects, spiders and dinosaurs chat - you are some man @feb1991blizzard and this is why I love this forum! Everyone is different in a good way)

I do not agree with weather guilt tripping on a weather forum - very bizarre indeed! However...I guess it all depends on ones health, location of work and weather preference.

I am a weather enthusiast who enjoys the extremes. (Which are very rare in the UK and Ireland) 

Give me extreme heat, cold, snow or thunderstorms anytime! (Hurricanes and strong Tornadoes are not applicable to the UK and Ireland but I would like to experience them from a safe distance/place as well!)

I also enjoy the current weather...snow up on the mountains, frost hanging around in the shade all day, temperature below freezing morning/night and wall to wall weak Autumn sunshine.

People can wish/hope for whatever weather they want and once again it is a weather forum...now roll on a white Christmas! :santa-emoji:

All the best to you all and let’s be honest everyone secretly or not so secretly loves @knocker on this forum! His knowledge, photography and model summaries are great additions to the site. (I also find his utter dismay for cold and snow quite amusing every year - in a harmless/well taken way!)

Have a great weekend!

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, warm spring, hot summers
22 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Yes,thats why I love it, especially at this time of year

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, knocker said:

But we are not talking about qualified meteorologists ( I assume that was your morning joke) but a bunch of chinophiles, possibly with a few pagophiles thrown in, let loose on an unsuspecting public 8)

Yes, but your missing the point, people getting interested in weather makes them more likely to become meteorologists, also, i thought you were worried about climate change, if we suddenly had an unexpected downturn in temperatures (not talking ice age scenarios) over the pole and an upturn in sea ice growth, that would actually make us (perhaps temporarily) less susceptible to the effects of climate change, so therefore shouldn't one actually be wishing for events that would probably lead to at the very least a scenario where we have more time to make provisions.