Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn 2019 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
2 minutes ago, Snowyowl9 said:

20 years ago we had the wettest autumn spells on record.

20 years later we`ve had the wettest 24hrs in autumn in living memory and its the wettest october ever by 1 inch,expect serious flooding from the severn by sunday/monday.

One of the most disgusting Autumns i can recall.

Sick of it ..

• Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

One of the most disgusting Autumns i can recall.

Sick of it ..

Its the complete opposite up in NE Scotland, sunshine all day, feeling cold and crispy. I dont keep records, but this Autumn seems to be much drier than normal. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot

On a delivery to Norwich area, dry there but on the way home our route was via Sheffield and Manchester.  Cloudy but dry until we began the descent from Woodhead Pass through Tintwhistle when we hit the rain, and I mean "hit" as the rain became almost torrential round Manchester.  Rain still heavy when we reached Runcorn and it's been raining constantly overnight.  The rain has just stopped falling.  Temp. all yesterday and overnight a miserable 9C so we didn't encounter any of that very mild air further south.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

First mass P-P in the south West Peninsula league today. Having driven across Dartmoor at 2am through semi flooded roads I'm not surprised and rather glad as I'm shattered.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

Totally  sick to death of this incessant rain, I thought at one point that we  were possibly in for a dry week ahead , but no, once again sh..te from the Atlantic rears it's ugly head from about midweek onwards.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
21 minutes ago, 78/79 said:

Totally  sick to death of this incessant rain, I thought at one point that we  were possibly in for a dry week ahead , but no, once again sh..te from the Atlantic rears it's ugly head from about midweek onwards.

Settled spells nearly always downgrade in some way, same as cold spells for winter really

• Like 1

Posted

48.6mm of rain in total from this rain event here, taking us to 157.2mm for the month or 266% of the average. October 2019 is now the 2nd wettest month I've ever recorded, with only June 2007 (206.9mm) higher.

Autumn as a whole is on 267.2mm, with only 27.0mm more needed to beat the record wettest Autumn in 2000. What's remarkable is 259.4mm of that has fallen since 22nd September!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

Clear show of the cold front going through earlier.

image.thumb.png.f42bbc279ed6ad2af848e36f383902a5.png

• Like 4

Posted
9 hours ago, Sceptical said:

Its the complete opposite up in NE Scotland, sunshine all day, feeling cold and crispy. I dont keep records, but this Autumn seems to be much drier than normal. 

Yes we had our wet spell last half of May and more or less the whole of June when I could not get onto the fields with a very light old 1960s tractor to sow turnips as it was so wet.    I can never remember in the last 50 years such a wet May/ June spell so this dryer autumn has been a great relief. It has mainly been brought about by the  return of our prevailing SW winds which put us in the rain shadow of the mountains to the south and west.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Had a drop of nearly 6°C in 20 minutes here earlier. You can also see the sudden shift in wind direction. 

image.thumb.png.90a326e19110c102079e7bf9c5b331c1.png

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Northernlights said:

Yes we had our wet spell last half of May and more or less the whole of June when I could not get onto the fields with a very light old 1960s tractor to sow turnips as it was so wet.    I can never remember in the last 50 years such a wet May/ June spell so this dryer autumn has been a great relief. It has mainly been brought about by the  return of our prevailing SW winds which put us in the rain shadow of the mountains to the south and west.

Thanks for the information

Hopefully this dry sunny period continues for a wee while longer.

I could get used to this

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

2 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Absolutely garbage outputs this evening.

Feels good to get that off my chest..

Tbh NWS the day ten ecm looks ok on the nhp,granted it will be all change tom.Looking ahead the enso is looking neutral and the qbo is heading towards an easterly phase.Solar activity is flat so the signs are there.Granted most mo currently isn't great .Infact its crap ignore me il get my coat

• Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Absolutely garbage outputs this evening.

Feels good to get that off my chest..

don't mind living here, Early Nov is too early for cold/snaw really away from hills, hope in a month things looking better, of course by then whole country will be under water

Edited by I remember Atlantic 252

Posted

Coldest night of the season so far?

Rather cloudy across northern Aberdeenshire and Moray with occasional showers roughly east of Buckie. Dry with clear skies and a rural frost across southern Aberdeenshire. Breezy across northeast coasts. Minimum temperature -5 °C.

• Like 1

Posted

Yes rainfall totals nearly up there with autumn 2000 which remained wet through November and December with flooding, lets hope we don't see a repeat. One thing this autumn so far hasn't been is windy - barely any gales to speak of, thankfully.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
12 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Yes rainfall totals nearly up there with autumn 2000 which remained wet through November and December with flooding, lets hope we don't see a repeat. One thing this autumn so far hasn't been is windy - barely any gales to speak of, thankfully.

I could just about tolerate a remainder of autumn like 2000, if mid December onwards is like what it was in that winter. Cold at Christmas, snow shortly after, often cold with intermittent snow in January, then cold spells in February and March, albeit with wet spells in between.

One thing that's really getting to me though, which was pleasantly alleviated today, is the lack of sunshine! Such a dull month down here - you may actually have been better off up in Cumbria this month for sunshine.

Posted
20 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

don't mind living here, Early Nov is too early for cold/snaw really away from hills, hope in a month things looking better, of course by then whole country will be under water

Thats what i am referencing..

A couple of decent days then back to wind rain...

We just cant buy a stable HP..

• Like 1

Posted
14 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

just hope we get repeat of Dec 28th-31st, but 19 years on looking increasingly unlikely every year

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Thats what i am referencing..

A couple of decent days then back to wind rain...

We just cant buy a stable HP..

but as we all know, childhood weather is over, winters not just getting warmer, but all year round becoming more low pressure dominated, flooding/washout days used to be 1 in 5 year event up to say 2000, but now it's frequent, rain all day the norm

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

just hope we get repeat of Dec 28th-31st, but 19 years on looking increasingly unlikely every year

Nah, was rubbish down here with a piddly dusting of snow! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
3 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

but as we all know, childhood weather is over, winters not just getting warmer, but all year round becoming more low pressure dominated, flooding/washout days used to be 1 in 5 year event up to say 2000, but now it's frequent, rain all day the norm

Was often the same years ago. That's why holidays abroad started to become popular in the 70's so people could get some sun away from rainy Britain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
23 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

I wouldn’t say that - I mean we went 7 weeks last summer without a drop of rain. It’s just becoming more extreme, same as the rest of the world. Heatwaves are hotter, rain events are wetter. The only extremes we never seem to get are cold ones!

• Like 1