Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn 2019 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

Finally our first proper Autumn Gale.

Trees dropping leaves by the bucket load. This could add to any flooding concerns

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Overlooking the Buachaille today. It's coming! :cold:

Buachaille.jpg

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold
6 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Very true, i have been out in it and i think drowned rat springs to mind.

UKMO offers some relief from the rain, so with that in mind i sincerely hope it is on the right path..

I know someone running the Snowdonia marathon tomorrow morning, think the runners might need to bring flippers!

Edited by prolongedSnowLover
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
7 minutes ago, prolongedSnowLover said:

I know someone running the Snowdonia marathon tomorrow morning, think the runners might need to bring flippers!

Fancy holding a marathon there at this time of year, they are lucky they don't need to bring skis.

Posted
47 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Fancy holding a marathon there at this time of year, they are lucky they don't need to bring skis.

Think they’ll get away with any snow issues with the lack of altitude on the course route but flooding could be an issue for those trying to get there for the start!

Posted
4 minutes ago, prolongedSnowLover said:

Think they’ll get away with any snow issues with the lack of altitude on the course route but flooding could be an issue for those trying to get there for the start!

Right, i thought snowdonia was +3000ft, so although no snow tomorrow i thought any other year it could have been snow - but stand corrected, was thinking they might as well hold it on Ben Nevis or even in the Himalayas!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
4 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Right, i thought snowdonia was +3000ft, so although no snow tomorrow i thought any other year it could have been snow - but stand corrected, was thinking they might as well hold it on Ben Nevis or even in the Himalayas!!

Maybe because its named/in/for Snowdonia..?

1377857996_viewimage(67).thumb.png.9b7b0aa0b6c7a784ce33f566a92fd231.png

Posted
9 minutes ago, Polar Maritime said:

Maybe because its named/in/for Snowdonia..?

1377857996_viewimage(67).thumb.png.9b7b0aa0b6c7a784ce33f566a92fd231.png

Yes, although maybe they should call it something else and hold it somewhere else?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.
58 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Yes, although maybe they should call it something else and hold it somewhere else?

I think you're getting mixed up with Snowdon vs Snowdonia? Snowdon is the 1000m+ mountain itself whereas Snowdonia is the general area. Similar to the Cairngorms encompassing a much larger than Cairn Gorm itself, though admittedly much of this is a plateau within a Scandinavian tundra climate so definitely not suited for late October marathons! 

Edited by NorthernRab
  • Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, NorthernRab said:

I think you're getting mixed up with Snowdon vs Snowdonia? Snowdon is the 1000m+ mountain itself whereas Snowdonia is the general area. Similar to the Cairngorms encompassing a much larger than Cairn Gorm itself, though admittedly much of this is a plateau within a Scandinavian tundra climate so definitely not suited for late October marathons! 

Right - i suppose a bit like Saddleworth would be fine  for a marathon but Saddleworth Moor most certainly would not, although more because of terrain than weather.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, NorthernRab said:

It is however perfect for the army to teach arctic warfare and survival. The 30/30/30 rule certainly applies to this area.

• Like 1

Posted
39 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Right - i suppose a bit like Saddleworth would be fine  for a marathon but Saddleworth Moor most certainly would not, although more because of terrain than weather.

Will never forget that drive as a kid from Wolverhampton to Bradford one late night when driving up the M62, it was all green on the Manchester side but as we went up the M62 there was snowcover and on the Yorkshire side down to 175m altitude in Bradford there was still snow cover!

edit I wasn’t driving!

Edited by prolongedSnowLover
  • Like 1

Posted

Another cold wet one, 4c. Frosty yesterday morning then wet and cold afternoon onwards.

Just looked at current London temp, 16c!!! Different world down south, can't remember the last time it reached 16 here as a daytime high!

Posted
1 hour ago, Airedalejoe said:

Another cold wet one, 4c. Frosty yesterday morning then wet and cold afternoon onwards.

Just looked at current London temp, 16c!!! Different world down south, can't remember the last time it reached 16 here as a daytime high!

We managed a 13°C on Thursday, by Friday morning that was down to 1°C. Apparently the region I live in has recorded the greatest number of sub -20°C temperatures in the UK. The last very cold temperatures to hit the area was -25°C noted back in early January 2010.

Since then, I think -14°c last January has been the lowest around these parts.

20190131_084433.jpg

Edited by Sceptical

Posted

What an utterly grim 24 hours it has been here. Almost constant rain totaling 38.2mm so far and it looks like its going to continue to rain all day today aswell.

We're now less than 20mm from the wettest October locally on record. Here its already the wettest in 40 years of records.

After the brief mild section last night its cold aswell, with a temp of just 6.7C at the moment.

Posted
1 hour ago, northwestsnow said:

So after months and months of neg NAO the flip has occured.

Brilliant,just brilliant.

Oh dear......

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 hour ago, Summer Sun said:

I wonder why this rain event with an amber warning didn't warrant naming by the met office ?‍♂️

what I was thinking, why are some named and others are not, weird system

• Like 1

Posted
17 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

A low pressure system use to only be named when damaging winds where likely but now they factor rain, snow and wind but my guess is if you have the rain or snow but no disruptive and damaging winds then no name is given the winds with this low aren't severe or damaging so that's likely why no name has been given its mostly a windstorm naming system.. a bit like hurricanes tbh but ofcourse not identical. :oldgood:

Edited by jordan smith

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
22 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

The Met Office haven't named many to be honest. It has been other countries, such as Portugal, Spain, France etc. Most of them have been named by Met Eireann. The inconsistencies are outrageous to be frank. They say a storm will be named under an amber warning, but many times they haven't named a storm, and other times they've named one for just a yellow warning.

It needs scrapping asap. It's brought confusion more than awareness.

That aside, 156.4mm of rain here, for October. 295.2mm since September 22nd.

• Like 1

Posted

20 years ago we had the wettest autumn spells on record.

20 years later we`ve had the wettest 24hrs in autumn in living memory and its the wettest october ever by 1 inch,expect serious flooding from the severn by sunday/monday.

• Like 2