Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn 2019 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
4 hours ago, Thundershine said:

Very cold day again, and unlike the sunny forecast it went overcast quickly as daylight appeared.

October 2019 has by far and away been the most boring month in my 12 years of weather records. No warm periods, nothing interesting, either frontal rain, drizzle or overcast and some of the most homogeneous temperatures possible in this country. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Bit of a contradiction.... most homogeneous temperatures..yet its a very cold day? cant be both

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Thought I was going to manage two dry days in a row but no a tiny bit heavy shower dumped 0.8mm in a few minutes to ruin that. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).
2 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

Bit of a contradiction.... most homogeneous temperatures..yet its a very cold day? cant be both

No contradiction, I suggest you look up "homogeneous" in the dictionary. 

Never mind, I'm a nice person so I'll do it for you.

It means:

adjective

of the same kind; alike.

Notice, I also said "a very cold day (by my standards) again". Most days this month have been below average, and the range of temperatures this month, has been very small, as compared with, for example, last October, which saw maximum temperatures varying between 22 and 5 degrees. This month, has seen highs between just 11 and 16, hence "homogeneous". Hope it makes sense

Edited by Thundershine

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
18 minutes ago, Thundershine said:

No contradiction, I suggest you look up "homogeneous" in the dictionary. 

Never mind, I'm a nice person so I'll do it for you.

It means:

adjective

of the same kind; alike.

Notice, I also said "a very cold day (by my standards) again". Most days this month have been below average, and the range of temperatures this month, has been very small, as compared with, for example, last October, which saw maximum temperatures varying between 22 and 5 degrees. This month, has seen highs between just 11 and 16, hence "homogeneous". Hope it makes sense

looking at average highs for yorkshire in October = 13.5c ..so ill do the maths for you...because im nice like that :snowman-emoji: 11+16 / 2 = 13.5..so by your reckoning temps have been bang on average..certainly not very cold by any stretch of anybody's imagination

• Like 2

Posted
9 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

looking at average highs for yorkshire in October = 13.5c ..so ill do the maths for you...because im nice like that :snowman-emoji: 11+16 / 2 = 13.5..so by your reckoning temps have been bang on average..certainly not very cold by any stretch of anybody's imagination

We're running a bit below that actually, due to a higher preponderance of below than above average temps, regardless, the lack of variation seen this month, which is smaller than typical, is suitable justification for the usage of the word homogeneous. 

Talk of what is very cold or not is a matter of one's opinion so I'm not going to get into arguments about whether a normal October feels very cold or not. As it's not really relevant except to the person who finds it to feel that way even if others don't understand it. Just as I don't understand those who feels 18 degrees to be very hot. 

Edited by Thundershine

Posted
24 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

Not a good effort RE: the maths since you have given a basic median whereas I have the full daily range of highs from which a mean temperature has been calculated which yields a higher resolution of detail than simply taking the lowest and highest number to produce an average. 

Edited by Thundershine

Posted
24 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

I already know the average temperatures for my location from years of records but thank you for coming up with an (albeit incorrect) answer.

Actual averages:

kCGnNvC.jpg

Posted
37 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

Here are my Microsoft Excel averages so far, for October 2019:

ulx83xS.jpg

and here is October 2018:

46lnnSq.jpg

Q1. In which of these examples, are the average maximum temperatures more homogeneous?

Q2. In which of these examples, are the average maximum temperatures overall cooler?

@Ed Stone, who likes all the posts calling me out about so called inappropriate use of the word homogeneous, you could have a go at answering question No.1, in particular. Now hopefully, you know what the word means as well.

Edited by Thundershine

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
2 minutes ago, jordan smith said:

Personally I don't find big differences in temperature exciting or interesting at all.. :unknw:

I like them when there's a sudden temperature drop and rain instantly turns to snow.  

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, matt111 said:

I like them when there's a sudden temperature drop and rain instantly turns to snow.  

Yeah that's combined with something that is noteworthy and exciting but on its own pretty dull in my opinion but if that happened I would then be very interested. :yahoo:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
6 minutes ago, jordan smith said:

A cold end to October and start of November looking likely this will feel very seasonal for Halloween and Halloween night instead of the really mild Halloweens we've had in recent years.:oldsmile:

12_171_uk2mtmp.thumb.png.0f49909e10695571d6d56c2a32a7b66b.png

12_186_uk2mtmp.thumb.png.7a307f718aebd178d428fa3c27933a7f.png

It was colder last year. -2.3°C here on the 31st. 2017 was cold as well.

• Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, Mapantz said:

It was colder last year. -2.3°C here on the 31st. 2017 was cold as well.

I was more referring to the daytime temperatures which for the last few years have been in double figures and the low teens. I'm talking about the south though. Also last year and 2017 Halloween night wasn't too cold high single figures.. Mostly single figures are being shown this Halloween daytime then near freezing in a few places during that night 31st although that may change obviously. 

Edited by jordan smith
  • Like 2

Posted

Every Halloween since I started recording data in 2013 (excluding 2014 when I didn't have a weather station for a while) has reached double figures. 

• 2018: 13.4°C
  • 2017: 13.7°C
  • 2016: 17.4°C
  • 2015: 16.3°C
  • 2013: 13.7°C
  • Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, matt111 said:

Every Halloween since I started recording data in 2013 (excluding 2014 when I didn't have a weather station for a while) has reached double figures. 

• 2018: 13.4°C
  • 2017: 13.7°C
  • 2016: 17.4°C
  • 2015: 16.3°C
  • 2013: 13.7°C

Well 2014 was the mildest of them! 

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, jordan smith said:

Well 2014 was the mildest of them! 

I've found a station a few miles from me that reached 20.8°C that day. 

Edited by matt111

Posted
17 minutes ago, matt111 said:

I've found a station a few miles from me that reached 20.8°C that day. 

Sounds about right places around London reached 23.6c remarkable. 

Posted
1 hour ago, jordan smith said:

I was more referring to the daytime temperatures which for the last few years have been in double figures and the low teens. I'm talking about the south though. Also last year and 2017 Halloween night wasn't too cold high single figures.. Mostly single figures are being shown this Halloween daytime then near freezing in a few places during that night 31st although that may change obviously. 

You said "Halloween night" in the post I quoted, that's why I replied.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Mapantz said:

You said "Halloween night" in the post I quoted, that's why I replied.

Okay? In any case they still didn't drop below high single figures.. 

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, jordan smith said:

Okay? In any case they still didn't drop below high single figures.. 

Well that's around average down here, so it would be seasonal. 

• Like 1

Posted
47 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Well that's around average down here, so it would be seasonal. 

When I said seasonal I meant those nice Frosty mornings and chilly days.. that sort of weather springs to mind when I think of Halloween and we haven't had that in recent years in the south. 

Edited by jordan smith

Posted

I've had 176mm of rain since the unsettled weather started on the 22nd September expect that to reach 200mm altogether by the time today's and tomorrow's very wet weather is done. :shok:

Edited by jordan smith