Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn 2019 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot

Yet another dank, dull, depressing, SAD-inducing Autumn day.  And this was after a mostly dull and often wet "Summer" with a mostly stationary front parked on top of us.  This is a:) a moan and b.) this is my subjective opinion, I'm not interested in stats which can be manipulated to support any point of view.

• Like 2

Posted

The notable change in the last week of miserably wet greyness is bare trees. I do a 6 minute school run on foot past lots of houses with large gardens and trees. There are half a dozen small to mid-sized trees near enough bare now. Some trees have had a tough year. Fruit trees seemed to struggle with the swings from hot to cold in the dry spring and there are a couple of bare ornamental plums. Ash seem to be having a year where they've always looked diseased as do horsechestnuts and one or two of them look to be struggling to keep their withered brown leaves. Being in very tidy gardens, I think it matters when and how many trees were last trimmed/pollarded, too as they get frequent attention. There are other trees that look green so it seems like there is more variation than normal. Walking to school in rain and greyness with no dry days, the odd bare tree and lots of leaves and puddles on the floor makes it feel more like November.

Edited by Aleman
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: LP - Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

25 Oct

Early dusting on the Gorms

h500slp.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All of it!

Looking much brighter today, and early signs of cooler conditions to end the month.  It would be nice to have a chill in the air for Halloween and Fireworks night to make the festivities feel more ‘correct’ 

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Aleman said:

The notable change in the last week of miserably wet greyness is bare trees. I do a 6 minute school run on foot past lots of houses with large gardens and trees. There are half a dozen small to mid-sized trees near enough bare now. Some trees have had a tough year. Fruit trees seemed to struggle with the swings from hot to cold in the dry spring and there are a couple of bare ornamental plums. Ash seem to be having a year where they've always looked diseased as do horsechestnuts and one or two of them look to be struggling to keep their withered brown leaves. Being in very tidy gardens, I think it matters when and how many trees were last trimmed/pollarded, too as they get frequent attention. There are other trees that look green so it seems like there is more variation than normal. Walking to school in rain and greyness with no dry days, the odd bare tree and lots of leaves and puddles on the floor makes it feel more like November.

Sounds just like the autumns I remember as a child! 

The Horse Chestnuts are probably diseased, it’s not to do with the weather unfortunately.   Incidentally it’s an invasive disease affecting a non-native species, so from an ecological point of view, it’s fair game.  A shame though nonetheless, even though a game of conkers is no longer allowed in the nanny state! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
22 minutes ago, Beanz said:

Sounds just like the autumns I remember as a child! 

The Horse Chestnuts are probably diseased, it’s not to do with the weather unfortunately.   Incidentally it’s an invasive disease affecting a non-native species, so from an ecological point of view, it’s fair game.  A shame though nonetheless, even though a game of conkers is no longer allowed in the nanny state! 

Though the Horse Chestnut is technically a non-native species, it has been a part of Britain's 'natural' environment since around the time of the Romans...? That said, I'd nae be much concerned were we discussing the state of, say, Creosote bushes. (if anyone even bothers growing them!) But, let's be honest: Horse Chestnut trees are hardly in the same league as Japanese Knotweed!:oldgrin:

Anywho, as this is the ramping thread...forget about the conkers, think about the stonkers?:oops:

Edited by Ed Stone
  • Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Though the Horse Chestnut is technically non-native species, it has been a part of Britain's 'natural' environment since around the time of the Romans...? That said, I'd nae be much concerned were we discussing the state of, say, Creosote bushes. (if anyone even bothers growing them!) But, let's be honest: Horse Chestnut trees are hardly in the same league as Japanese Knotweed!:oldgrin:

Anywho, as this is the ramping thread...forget about the conkers, think about the stonkers?:oops:

Absolutely, you must think I’m bonkers! ??

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.
18 minutes ago, Beanz said:

Absolutely, you must think I’m bonkers! ??

Hello Dolly! is set in Yonkers 

• Like 1

Posted

The coming days should have a bit more sunshine. Finally. I'm hoping there isn't going to a repeat of the last 3 and a half weeks anytime soon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like the Met Office have predicted a couple of sleet/snow showers over the hills of Scotland tomorrow morning?

meto.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
3 minutes ago, Zak M said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like the Met Office have predicted a couple of sleet/snow showers over the hills of Scotland tomorrow morning?

meto.png

Hard to tell because you have 3 things all colour code white - lemon graphics on the BBC - Fog, Cloud and Snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot

Fairly nasty overnight with heavy rain, dull and damp in the morning however lunchtime cleared to blue sky with just some large Cu about.  Getting much colder this evening which is showing the trend for the weekend.  Looking at the 10 day forecast for more cold there's obviously no Indian Summer this year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

Yup more or less gone straight into November this Cocktober, this autumn has certainly been a real far cry from any other in recent history, with unremitting cloud, gloom, rain and chilly temperatures whereas places only some 200 miles south have basked in 25 degrees. Last time I remember such a boringly dreadful cold autumn was 2012. What a snoozefest that was, just like this one.

Edited by Thundershine

Posted
12 hours ago, Thundershine said:

Yup more or less gone straight into November this Cocktober, this autumn has certainly been a real far cry from any other in recent history, with unremitting cloud, gloom, rain and chilly temperatures whereas places only some 200 miles south have basked in 25 degrees. Last time I remember such a boringly dreadful cold autumn was 2012. What a snoozefest that was, just like this one.

I'm pretty sure it snowed a fair bit Winter 2012-13 down here..I seem to remember the run up to Xmas being very seasonal and further events in February. Could be wrong though - so hopefully a precursor of whats to come?

Posted
14 hours ago, Zak M said:

meto.png

Well the forecasts for Cairngorm and Ben Nevis summits look pretty wintry.

default_card_315.jpg
WWW.METOFFICE.GOV.UK

Cairn Gorm Summit 7 day weather forecast including weather warnings, temperature, rain, wind, visibility, humidity and UV
default_card_315.jpg
WWW.METOFFICE.GOV.UK

Ben Nevis 7 day weather forecast including weather warnings, temperature, rain, wind, visibility, humidity and UV

Posted
4 hours ago, Azazel said:

I'm pretty sure it snowed a fair bit Winter 2012-13 down here..I seem to remember the run up to Xmas being very seasonal and further events in February. Could be wrong though - so hopefully a precursor of whats to come?

The winter of 2012-2013 was interesting, but autumn 2012 was just consistently cold and boring. But while a lot of snow is interesting, otherwise from that I'd rather it be mild and sunny (a rare weather type in winter). Most of all this year I hope it's a dry winter after the deluge of this autumn and the wet summer.

Posted
1 minute ago, Thundershine said:

The winter of 2012-2013 was interesting, but autumn 2012 was just consistently cold and boring. But while a lot of snow is interesting, otherwise from that I'd rather it be mild and sunny (a rare weather type in winter). Most of all this year I hope it's a dry winter after the deluge of this autumn and the wet summer.

I would prefer it to be summer all year long but if it's going to be Winter I want it to be seasonal, cold and dry (with the exception of snow) - I thoroughly despise wind and rain.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Azazel said:

I would prefer it to be summer all year long but if it's going to be Winter I want it to be seasonal, cold and dry (with the exception of snow) - I thoroughly despise wind and rain.

Cold and dry is ok if it's sunny, but rarely is it ever the case. I remember such a period i early January 2010.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
1 hour ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Either way, i would take either of this or the last GFS, it would send the snow cover through the roof and the OPI through the floor, then we want wet and pseudo zonal with a trough anchored over us around Nov 10th, with a blocking sceuro high, that should set us up for a decent winter.

It already did that, back in 2014. In fact, it went in to the ground and got buried. RIP OPI.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
5 hours ago, Thundershine said:

Cold and dry is ok if it's sunny, but rarely is it ever the case. I remember such a period i early January 2010.

2002 early Jan, sunny days, severe frosts, as good as snow, also (rip Atlantic 252)

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Winter 2006 was cold and dry for prolonged periods. December was one of the sunniest on record. 

Feb 13 was also a fairly sunny and dry period.