Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn 2019 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
2 hours ago, Evening thunder said:

I have kind of liked this Autumn so far from the high pressure and sunny days we had in mid September, and then the contrast to very unsettled conditions with showers and some heavy rain. It felt more like a classic Autumn progression than the 'lingering nothingness' we can seem to get.

Days like this weekend with its lingering front and dull weather with light/moderate rain are a bit tedious though. Sunshine amounts are a bit low at times and I think some areas further north have done worse with lingering fronts and persistent rain.

here today a clear north/south split, summery blue skies to the north, unsettled grey skies to the south, here is veil of high cloud with watery sun

Posted
On 11/10/2019 at 10:07, MattStoke said:

The October CET anomaly is actually -0.5'C as of the 9th.

I could swear the nights have beem mild, but clearly that stats disagree with me. Thanks for letting me know.

Edited by Beet
Spelling

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
2 hours ago, Beet said:

I could swear the nights have beem mild, but clearly that stats disagree with me. Thanks for letting me know.

I guess that also depends where you are as here most nights so far this month have stayed in double figures. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

A wet day tomorrow with the rain spreading north during tonight giving several hours of heavy rain for northern England and eastern Scotland tomorrow. The rain will slowly clear away from the south to give a brighter afternoon feeling cold in the north under the rain

Untitled1.thumb.png.17db01c12c2070ce6bc637257a302988.pngUntitled.thumb.png.3264a814fbc016f2bf8b750687c572af.png

Posted
55 minutes ago, nn2013 said:

Surely this autumn has to be one of the wettest ever? It's just endless!! 

Indeed, this October is reminding me of 2000.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Probably the worst day for some time here today with continuous rain all day and only 12°C. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

At last,a proper Autumn,long time coming,folk forget in Autumn we do tend to get rain. Loving it Best season of the year by far.

Edited by markyo
  • Like 7

Posted
1 hour ago, Weather-history said:

Could the shower stream moving into the Fylde

see the frontal cloud looking south?

Posted

Lovely day today in Liverpool, with blue skies and feeling pleasantly warm in the sun. I think the south have had it poor today, being stuck under cloud and rain pretty much all day but Midlands north it hasn’t been too bad. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
3 hours ago, markyo said:

At last,a proper Autumn,long time coming,folk forget in Autumn we do tend to get rain. Loving it Best season of the year by far.

Agreed. It's supposed to rain in autumn. Better we have frontal rain this time of year than the summer and second half of spring when it's just depressing. The models are forecasting tedious nothingness again in 8 or 9 days time, though, as the Azores High bloats up like Jabba the Hut once more. Some folk on here would welcome that and the dry weather that would ensue. Which is fine, I guess, but if they got their way all the time the country would be a desert. Can't understand people joining and contributing to a weather enthusiasts site and then wanting no weather! Still, each to their own

Edited by LRD
  • Like 4

Posted
9 minutes ago, LRD said:

Agreed. It's supposed to rain in autumn. Better we have frontal rain this time of year than the summer and second half of spring when it's just depressing. The models are forecasting tedious nothingness again in 8 or 9 days time, though, as the Azores High bloats up like Jabba the Hut again. Some folk on here would welcome that and the dry weather that would ensue. Which is fine, I guess, but if they got their way all the time the country would be a desert. Can't understand people joining and contributing to a weather enthusiasts site and then wanting no weather! Still, each to their own

perhaps that's why we look on here, every model run hoping for 'benign' weather, just like most look for and want wet weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
8 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

perhaps that's why we look on here, every model run hoping for 'benign' weather, just like most look for and want wet weather

Maybe most on here just look for seasonal weather - not necessarily wet. Occasional thunderstorms with warmth or heat in the summer, a warming with sun and showers in spring, a mix of wind/rain and fog/frost in autumn and a bit of cold and snow in winter. As I say, each to their own, but it's a weather site so it's always nice to have some weather to actually talk about rather than nothing happening at all. I recall people moaning that the dry spell in September was coming to an end but us in the SE have had a, generally, very warm and dry summer, following last summer's heat and then the nothing, dry winter - and we desperately needed the rain at that time. Thankfully things are now looking green as opposed to yellow and brown which it was last month

• Like 1

Posted

Aye, as it's October, my favourite weather is dry and as warm as possible, but Dec to Mar, my favourite is of course snow and cold, but if we don't get those setups, then next best is dry with high pressure mild or cold, i'll take either

Posted
1 hour ago, Josh Rubio said:

Lovely day today in Liverpool, with blue skies and feeling pleasantly warm in the sun. I think the south have had it poor today, being stuck under cloud and rain pretty much all day but Midlands north it hasn’t been too bad. 

Yes, that's accurate and still raining now, continuing to do so into the early hours.  Tomorrow looking better though with sunshine and showers.

Edited by Don

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !

But maybe another rain maker coming up from the south on Monday !

Posted

With all the SW winds of late we have claimed back our reputation for dry weather up here in the rain shadow of the mountains to the south and west. The autumn has had more dry days than the summer although  it can be very dewy in the mornings when we have little wind and humidities are only low enough in the afternoons to give good soil drying conditions.    The local potato farmers are  working all hours to lift the crop while ground conditions remain good.and our cattle are still out eating fresh grass

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

There's been over 9" of rain here in the last 3 weeks and October's average temp is running 1.5°C above the MetOffice derived average for this area. That is not typical Autumn weather here, that's for sure.

Posted

Today's rain is moving slower than expected the met office were expecting it to be north of Newcastle by 9am it's currently around north Yorkshire on its northern edge

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted

One of the worst periods of weather in a long time here. Endless rain - like normally there’s often a lull of a few hours where it doesn’t rain and it’s just grey but it’s been raining heavily solidly here for around 48 hours. Estate is flooded, garden is flooded. Several car accidents . Park is a marshland.

Edited by Lauren
  • Like 1

Posted

i know its fantasy world is there some thing a foot possible snow starting to appear in scotland!!

gfs-2-384.png

• Like 1

Posted

Yellow warning for heavy rain issued for parts of England and Wales for tomorrow

12:00 Tomorrow 23:59 Tomorrow

Heavy rain leading to a small chance of flooding and disruption.

What to expect

• There is a small chance that homes and businesses could be flooded, causing damage to some buildings
  • There is a small chance of fast flowing or deep floodwater causing danger to life
  • Where flooding occurs, there is a slight chance of delays or cancellations to train and bus services
  • Spray and flooding could lead to difficult driving conditions and some road closures
  • There is a small chance that some communities become cut off by flooded roads
  • There is a slight chance of power cuts and loss of other services to some homes and businesses

Rain is expected to move northwards across much of England on Monday, heavy at times, especially during the afternoon and evening. 15 to 25 mm is likely to fall quite widely, and there is potential for 40 to 60 mm to fall in a few places. This brings a risk of flooding and disruption, but the situation is uncertain such that the likelihood of this across any given county is small. The rain is expected to clear away northeastwards during Monday evening and night.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/warnings-and-advice/uk-warnings#?date=2019-10-14&id=0ece430a-b4e6-45fe-abb0-9e9dcab07b77&details

Posted

I heard thunder this morning sometime a bit before 11am. I thought it was odd and checked the lightning map which was blank. An hour later the Mrs found the source of our thunder. We're about 25 miles away!

19653128-0-image-a-112_1570966752676.jpg
WWW.DAILYMAIL.CO.UK

Four cooling towers at the Ferrybridge Power Station in Knottingley, West Yorkshire, were reduced to rubble in a controlled explosion. Around 140 homes...

Edited by Aleman
  • Like 2