Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn 2019 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
10 hours ago, ciel said:

A contradiction in terms of your post. :oldrolleyes:

Not at all. Crisp morning one day,Atlantic influence the next day. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

The rain moving through Ireland now will be tomorrows troublemaker in the east as it's expected to stall then move back west a bit meaning another 30mm to 50mm is possible in places 

download.thumb.png.b4c969acf2aa61595056aa859afb778a.png

Posted

Raining here today but it's been very dry of late - 52.1mm in the first nine days of September but only 3mm for the rest of the month. The Danube is at a low level, exposing sandbanks, and a small offshoot of the river near here has dried up completely!

Might see our first air frost on Monday night. 

Posted

A yellow warning for heavy rain tomorrow has been updated and expanded west to cover more of Scotland and England

00:00 Tomorrow 18:00 Tomorrow

Heavy rain may cause some transport disruption and flooding in places on Sunday.

What to expect

• Spray and flooding on roads probably making journey times longer
  • Flooding of a few homes and businesses is likely
  • Some interruption to power supplies and other services likely
  • Delays or cancellations to train and bus services are possible
  • Some communities may be cut off by flooded roads

Reason for update

The warning area has been expanded westwards across Scotland and England. The 'what to expect' section has also been updated.

Heavy rain is expected across parts of Scotland during Saturday night before extending to northern, central and eastern England during Sunday. Within the warning area many parts will see 15-30 mm of rain during Sunday with the potential for as much as 40-50 mm in places, much of this falling in a 6 hour period. There is some uncertainty regarding the location of where the heaviest rain will occur.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/warnings-and-advice/uk-warnings?WT.mc_id=Twitter_Weatherdesk_Enquiries#?date=2019-10-06&id=1dab3f43-5017-44e6-9c0e-baaa35b24cc6&details

• Like 1

Posted
7 hours ago, markyo said:

Yep,the old ice scrapper has been out this week,lovely crisp morning that was.

Don't be silly. There has not been an overnight hard frost anywhere, as yet, requiring more than a sweep with the wipers.

Posted
1 hour ago, ciel said:

Don't be silly. There has not been an overnight hard frost anywhere, as yet, requiring more than a sweep with the wipers.

So that hard white stuff on my car windscreen and my neighbours windscreen this week was a figment of our imagination as we scrapped it off this week ? Wipers didn't do it,hard frost not really but cold enough to scrape,again you read into my post something that's not there....I'm not the silly one here

Edited by markyo
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,
54 minutes ago, markyo said:

So that hard white stuff on my car windscreen and my neighbours windscreen this week was a figment of our imagination as we scrapped it off this week ? Wipers didn't do it,hard frost not really but cold enough to scrape,again you read into my post something that's not there....I'm not the silly one here

I think we must have had a shared hallucination mate, I had hard white stuff on my car windscreen this week that I had to scrape off. Was yours cold? It was almost ice like

• Like 3

Posted
19 minutes ago, Met4Cast said:

I think we must have had a shared hallucination mate, I had hard white stuff on my car windscreen this week that I had to scrape off. Was yours cold? It was almost ice like

This hallucination must be more wide spread than certain folk realise then! It was cold and surprisingly ice like....

• Like 2

Posted
27 minutes ago, markyo said:

This hallucination must be more wide spread than certain folk realise then! It was cold and surprisingly ice like....

Well, the niche spot of severe frost requiring 'scrapping' of windscreens ( if there was one) must have sent you heavenwards. :oldlaugh:

Posted
29 minutes ago, ciel said:

Well, the niche spot of severe frost requiring 'scrapping' of windscreens ( if there was one) must have sent you heavenwards. :oldlaugh:

Oh dear.... Suspect somebody doesn't like the truth. Niche? South Yorkshire to Kent...that's some niche spots you refer to Oh again you've done it, Severe? Not in my post,just your imagination.

Edited by markyo
  • Like 3

Posted
22 minutes ago, ciel said:

Nobody has mentioned 'severe' frost(apart from you lol) but none the less there was something frozen and cold to the touch on cars Wednesday morning!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
22 minutes ago, Josh Rubio said:

Sorry if this sounds daft but what is causing/causes this area of precipitation to intensify as it moves East? 

Well, intensity isn't the only factor at play, the front becomes occluded as the cold front catches up with the warm front and slows down somewhat. It then starts to slightly pivot, so many areas stay under the rain for quite some time - 12 hours or so.

Increased vertical vorticity will aid rainfall becoming heavier, though.

GFSOPEU12_15_6.thumb.png.eb06e6c868f0b683b46c492f1a98d491.png

• Like 2

Posted
31 minutes ago, Josh Rubio said:

Sorry if this sounds daft but what is causing/causes this area of precipitation to intensify as it moves East? 

I'm no expert but the movement of the front slows down, courtesy of the block to the east and a wave forming on the front. This pumps up the 'action' on the front illustrated by the vorticity charts because of this there could be some significant rain totals in some areas on already saturated ground

PPVE89.thumb.gif.8dc933902c8ee11d7292d763cfadef8c.gifvortpanel_d02_25.thumb.png.12a2ed7f6d37f2db59eb93908b273024.png

Agh, posted at the same time as the above so just ignore

Edited by knocker
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
9 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

The rain moving through Ireland now will be tomorrows troublemaker in the east as it's expected to stall then move back west a bit meaning another 30mm to 50mm is possible in places 

download.thumb.png.b4c969acf2aa61595056aa859afb778a.png

bbc video weather have this too far East, in fact so far east that this location looks wet with showers streaming through the Cheshire Gap

Posted
1 hour ago, markyo said:

Oh dear.... Suspect somebody doesn't like the truth. Niche? South Yorkshire to Kent...that's some niche spots you refer to Oh again you've done it, Severe? Not in my post,just your imagination.

I think you’re all thinking about winter too much.  It’s making you dream about scraping your windscreens!

Posted
9 minutes ago, Don said:

I think you’re all thinking about winter too much.  It’s making you dream about scraping your windscreens!

I don't own a windscreen ;)

Posted

The warnings have been updated overnight the most widespread one now ends at 12:00 instead of 18:00

00:00 Today 12:00 Today

Heavy rain may cause some transport disruption and flooding in places during Sunday morning.

What to expect

• Spray and flooding on roads probably making journey times longer
  • Flooding of a few homes and businesses is likely
  • Some interruption to power supplies and other services likely

Reason for update

Extending the warning across the rest of south-west Scotland, whilst removing much of Lincolnshire and eastern England which will be covered by a separate Yellow warning. End time also brought forward to midday.

Heavy rain will affect central and southern Scotland, along with northern and eastern England this morning, gradually easing from the north. Many parts will see a further 15-30 mm of rain during Sunday morning with the potential for as much as 40 mm in a few places, much of this falling in a 6 hour period.

An additional warning has been issued for; East Midlands, East of England & Yorkshire & Humber

08:00 Today 17:00 Today

Heavy rain may cause flooding and some transport disruption.

What to expect

• Homes and businesses could be flooded, causing damage to some buildings
  • Fast flowing or deep floodwater is possible, causing a danger to life
  • Spray and flooding could lead to difficult driving conditions and some road closures
  • Possible power cuts and loss of other services to some homes and businesses

There is the potential for rain to become heavy and persistent for several hours during Sunday, which could give 20-30 mm fairly widely and as much as 50-60 mm in a few spots within 3-6 hours. However, there is still some uncertainty regarding the location of where the heaviest rain will occur.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/warnings-and-advice/uk-warnings#?date=2019-10-06&id=b46bcaa4-1e7b-4455-bbaa-88431631c316&details

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather

I am waiting for the arrival of thick fog for London and the South-east either during the day or night. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

Could do with seeing an end to this crap rain now, need to get some work done. Got bl..dy soaking wet three times last week.:oldangry:

Posted
4 minutes ago, 78/79 said:

Could do with seeing an end to this crap rain now, need to get some work done. Got bl..dy soaking wet three times last week.:oldangry:

Maybe someone will invent waterproof clothing one day.

• Like 2

Posted

Another 18.0mm of rain so far today meaning we've now had 154mm since 22nd September. Surprisingly the ground has taken it well due to the long dry period before, but the rivers and streams are rising now so it could do to stop!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot

Thoroughly vile day up to now although some brightness developing and it's turned dry.  Very dark morning with wind and  intermittent heavy rain.  Looks like winter may be making an early return given the single-digit maxima expected around the weekend.

Edited by Wildswimmer Pete
My bad grammar

Posted

Looking  at some of the papers they saying an ice age is coming at the end of    the month!,

• Like 1