Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn 2019 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
On 07/09/2019 at 05:01, Turnedoutniceagain said:

Great crop of fruit this year. My fruit bushes/trees are dripping with sloes, damsons, blackberry this year. Good growing conditions through the summer?

Haven't seen a Swallow for a few days - guess they've gone south?

Raspberries decent. Blackberries all small and lots of flies. Very poor Bramley crop. Plums recovered from a bad start but early pickings infested with grubs and rather small. Not had a decent one yet but ripening late and don't look too bad on tree. Dessert apples good numbers but not sweet yet, tiny and eaten by wasps after a very poor pear crop left them with less of their favoured eating.  Damsons have been decent. Corn ears small so leaving them late as possible to pick. Both Anya and King Edward potatoes were good.

Had a very bad year with blackbirds digging. I think the dry start with big temperature swings stunted growth of everything and caused disease problems and lack of bugs for birds. This improved greatly through July and into August  - lots of butterflies, red-tail and honeybees, and wasps, besdies all the flies and gnats. Overall, a very disappointing year but with some exceptions, mainly due to long spells with no rain and some early cold snaps enouraging disease and pests. I hope next year a more even spread of temperature and moisture and a little warmer overall would be a bonus.

Edited by Aleman
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Really poor for cooking apples on my tree this year...what's going on or has gone on to cause this?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
3 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

Really poor for cooking apples on my tree this year...what's going on or has gone on to cause this?

Most likely down to the weather during the period when the blossom was forming. Any spells of heavy rain can wash it off and that was does survive the rain can be affected by a lack of bees.

• Like 1

Posted

Our Bramleys hardly flowered which I put down to the cold/hot/cold., dry weather and more disease than normal. The few flowers we got seemed to produce apples so I don't think pollination was an issue. Despite the low apple number, they remain small but seem to be hanging onto the tree better than normal despite a couple of windy days recently. There is a chance we might get some decent ones late on if they can stay on the tree.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
32 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

My Plum trees are the opposite. I cannot remember a year where there have been so many, so large, and actually ripened perfectly with none dropping off early. The branches have been so loaded with them that they have all drooped to the point of snapping off.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

In Prague, everyone is complaining about plagues of fruit flies at the moment. Wild plum trees grow like weeds here. Plus many people grow domestic fruit. I’ve actually never seen so many fruit trees and bushes anywhere. All the plums are now ripening and falling, trees are loaded!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
58 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

My Plum trees are the opposite. I cannot remember a year where there have been so many, so large, and actually ripened perfectly with none dropping off early. The branches have been so loaded with them that they have all drooped to the point of snapping off.

Pear tree seems to have plenty of fruit just the apple tree...

Posted

Apple and plum trees, and even outdoor bush tomatoes have been healthy and fruitful this year. An 'indian summer' would complete the ripening process just fine, and give a personal, healthy boost prior to the endurance of chilly, dark and dreary winter days.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

The AO is confirmed as being negative for the fifth month in a row during August. Comparable years are 2008, 2004, 1993 and 1958. 

• Like 5

Posted
47 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

The AO is confirmed as being negative for the fifth month in a row during August. Comparable years are 2008, 2004, 1993 and 1958. 

Snowy spells followed 3 of those summers. 

• Like 1

Posted

The 18z is a thing of beauty for Autumn lovers with some dry at times warm days and also some cooler nights - Exeter suggesting fog across the south next weekend, i think it is an age thing but i for sure appreciate the colors of Autumn and the 8 o clock fishing days , always reminds me of the late great John Wilson and watching  Go fishing in the 1980s.

• Like 3

Posted

A cold and wet morning very autumnal indeed today

The 2nd half of the week looks better with temps back into the high teens/low 20s

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot
25 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

A cold and wet morning very autumnal indeed today

The 2nd half of the week looks better with temps back into the high teens/low 20s

Same here, 11C more like a winter's morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

I'm hoping that the return of the high pressure will allow the misty mornings and evenings to return... :oldgrin:

IMG_2671.JPG

• Like 2

Posted

All this talk about the coldest weather in 30-years or something and the forecasters can't even get the weather right the day before 

Only last night they showed clearing skies during this afternoon...

6876.thumb.png.08466fb554312a6250559e1978acbd0f.png

Well. Here we are just short of 3pm and it's still raining!

130029731_download(2).thumb.png.0a780f8180f1e434fca241354e5d1914.png

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

another cold wet day here again..the crappy weather pattern we have had all summer continues onto into Autumn:wallbash:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Posted

Some ruminations on September:

Weatherwise, September on average is the most agreeable month. Its comfortable, but not definate, it has no full stop - alas it has no urgency about it - it fades between summer and early autumn. Wistful and mellow. Rarely does autumn get going proper until the tail end, and it is usually devoid of any extreme. Yes it can bring very warm even locally hot conditions - but such weather doesn't have the edge it would have in May-August, largely due to the much less intense sun. 

Consequently, I have a love hate relationship with September. It is good in the sense that it is in my opinion the best month for getting out and about and enjoying outdoor activities, less humidity, less heat, less busy - and the subtle light is excellent. Subtle indeed is an operative word to describe September. Its compatriot in terms of time of year is March, but it is far different in that March, can really bite with still significant cold, and the associated impacts that can bring.. September has minimal effect overall, little impact - in this respect it is a calming month - and in a world of no calmness at all - a month to rejoice, oh perhaps I'm coming round to love September - a time to pause and hold breath.

I was out walking today and it was good to stop and look at the fruits and nuts on the trees and bushes. Rowan trees resplendent with red berries, plenty of blackberries, horse chestnuts loaded with ripening conkers, hazel nuts sweet to the taste, and the slight turning of leaf colour. On a day with shadow and cloud effect.

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 8

Posted
On 09/09/2019 at 06:05, Turnedoutniceagain said:

Swallows & Swifts definitely gone. Just need a Daddy Long Legs in the house now !!!

Had my first one on Sunday.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold

The lakes have got cooler since the last swim back in August, down to 16c this morning at Bray. Looks like staying around the same sort of temperatures with the warmer days coming up.

Edited by prolongedSnowLover

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold
16 hours ago, markyo said:

It can’t be that hard to be the coldest winter since 2012-13 given how rubbish the past 6 have been barring the beast from the east episode!

Edited by prolongedSnowLover
  • Like 1