Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn 2019 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Well it's felt very autumnal since Sept 1st, where's all this Summer warmth, felt really chilly past few days. 

September is not a Summer month, the weather this week and next proves that, the first cool weather since May.

Edited by Eugene
  • Like 3

Posted
24 minutes ago, Eugene said:

Well it's felt very autumnal since Sept 1st, where's all this Summer warmth, felt really chilly past few days. 

September is not a Summer month, the weather this week and next proves that, the first cool weather since May.

Not a summer month but you're kidding yourself if you think the switch is turned on on September 1st. Often the first week or even the first two weeks of September are indistinguishable from the last week of August.

And pretty sure there were cooler days than this in June- we've reached 16C here today.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
3 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

Still plenty of time for warmth to return and send the coldies back into hibernation for a few more weeks. Far too early to be saying the chances of warmth have gone.

yep that dreading time of the year is fast approaching..when the inmates take over the asylum 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).
3 hours ago, Eugene said:

1) it was much colder in mid June

2) on average, again average, early September is little cooler than August and warmer than most of June. Doesn't mean that will be the case every year! 

3) depending on what definition you use, September is summer until 23rd - that is the astronomical definition. The meteorological definition is used to make it simpler to categorise weather data for complete calendar months

Edited by Thundershine
  • Like 2

Posted

Agree about the Autumn starting about the 23rd of September but with the wind,rain and thousands of geese passing overhead (two weeks earlier than average snow down to sea level in  Svalbard in the last few days possibly  chasing them south)in the last few days  it has certainly felt like the end of September.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).
30 minutes ago, Northernlights said:

Agree about the Autumn starting about the 23rd of September but with the wind,rain and thousands of geese passing overhead (two weeks earlier than average snow down to sea level in  Svalbard in the last few days possibly  chasing them south)in the last few days  it has certainly felt like the end of September.

Yeah it has been on the cool side this year so far, though there is a substantial warm up looking likely next week now. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
4 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

yep that dreading time of the year is fast approaching..when the inmates take over the asylum 

But we have to listen to you rubbing it in about the snow in Canada.....almost all year round 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
9 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

But we have to listen to you rubbing it in about the snow in Canada.....almost all year round 

your most welcome

Posted

I still think there will be an Indian summer, or mid September heatwave. Probably lasting for 3-5 days with very warm days and some warm nights, with possible thunderstorms. A repeat of 2014 or 2016 Septembers isn’t out of the question. Even in those years, we still had chilly days in between the warmth of September.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
3 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

I still think there will be an Indian summer, or mid September heatwave. Probably lasting for 3-5 days with very warm days and some warm nights, with possible thunderstorms. A repeat of 2014 or 2016 Septembers isn’t out of the question. Even in those years, we still had chilly days in between the warmth of September.

Wouldn’t mind a 2016 style heatwave. The typical three fine days and a thunderstorm. Would be rather fitting for my return from Florida. Even a repeat of the 2014 lightning storms would be awesome.

Posted

Great crop of fruit this year. My fruit bushes/trees are dripping with sloes, damsons, blackberry this year. Good growing conditions through the summer?

Haven't seen a Swallow for a few days - guess they've gone south?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

There is no Indian Summer on the cards as yet,it may change but i very much doubt it. Been a fantastic start to Autumn so far,fresh,nearly dry,lovely breeze. Could this be that proper Autumn at last?

• Like 2

Posted

Started to close the windows are night, as the flat now starts to feel chilly. It’s really strange how quickly our flat goes from being an oven when temps are over 25 degrees outside, then as soon as daytime temps drop below 20 degrees out flat starts to become cold.

I was wearing shorts and t shirt until mid week, but the last couple of days I’ve had to finally give in and wear trackies and a sweater in the flat.

Im not complaining about the weather, but I’m not able to sit in shorts and t shirts once the days fall below the 20c mark.

Posted
5 hours ago, markyo said:

There is no Indian Summer on the cards as yet,it may change but i very much doubt it. Been a fantastic start to Autumn so far,fresh,nearly dry,lovely breeze. Could this be that proper Autumn at last?

I hope we do get another warm or hot spell, maybe a few days of plus 24-27c, but nights will be still cool or just mild. Not more overnight humidity. 

Posted
22 hours ago, Scorcher said:

Not a summer month but you're kidding yourself if you think the switch is turned on on September 1st. Often the first week or even the first two weeks of September are indistinguishable from the last week of August.

And pretty sure there were cooler days than this in June- we've reached 16C here today.

Despite still feeling warm at times, there’s always a distinct change in the air and the feeling of summer fading. By the 20th, autumn usually does kick in and it’s usually the first month where I start using the heating in the evening, only for brief periods though. 

Posted
53 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

I’m not able to sit in shorts and t shirts once the days fall below the 20c mark.

That shows how different folk feel both temps and weather conditions,fully understand were your coming from,but i'm the opposite,can't recall the last time i wasn't in shorts and a t shirt. I find it so interesting how varied the feel of the weather can feel to people,one persons cold is another persons hot or visa versa. ...I do get some weird looks though when shopping in shorts in the snow!

Edited by markyo
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

I’ve had the heating on overnight for a couple of days. Looking forward to a beautiful crisp autumn and hopefully some atmospheric fogs before winter proper sets in. Not a fan of storms though. 

• Like 1

Posted

Gone really autumnal here now. Second day on the bounce with heavy, frontal rain (in contrast with the convective thunderstorms which characterise most summer rainfall here).

High today of 16.7C is the first sub-20C maximum since 30th May.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot
4 hours ago, markyo said:

..I do get some weird looks though when shopping in shorts in the snow!

Same here, I hate long pants although all my shorts are heavy and fleecy.  However I cheat as I have an electrically heated jacket.

• Like 1

Posted

What a stunning Autumn sunday,5c blue sky truly perfect You couldn't ask for more.

Edited by markyo
  • Like 2