Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn 2019 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

And we're into Metrological Autumn

Aside from Dorian the tropics have Fernard and Gabrielle possibly to contend with going forward, which should shake up the Atlantic hopefully. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

And here it is... the 1st of September... And that autumnal nip in the air is very noticeable this morning! :yahoo::clapping:
Hello Autumn! :air_kiss:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

A old friend has arrived at last,the best season of the year by far,nature changing with a marvellous change to light levels,really looking forward to a decent start to Autumn which appears on the cards.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow freezing rain heat waves

The 1st of September leaves starting to change cooler to it won’t be long in till we are talking about wintery weather Scandi blocks and Greenland blocking see you all soon.. and the all important m4 .

Edited by abbie123
  • Like 4

Posted

I’m going to rock the boat here by saying I’m not looking forward to the darker evenings and mornings. It’s going to be more evident by the end of this month.

Summer went too fast to enjoy it, partly because we had a lot of poor weather.

On the positive side, fresher clear sunny days in autumn can be nice.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

I’m going to rock the boat here by saying I’m not looking forward to the darker evenings and mornings. It’s going to be more evident by the end of this month.

On the positive side, fresher clear sunny days in autumn can be nice.

Unfortunately mate, the shortening of the days is inevitable. But the switch to Autumn doesn't mean an end to the warm/hot weather. Still plenty for you to look forward to possibly.  

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, Wynter said:

Unfortunately mate, the shortening of the days is inevitable. But the switch to Autumn doesn't mean an end to the warm/hot weather. Still plenty for you to look forward to possibly.  

Yes I’ll accept the fact we have to move into autumn, and that’s the natural cycle of things. A year of eternal summer would probably become boring after a while.

I think a week or two of sunny days in the 16-21 degree between now and into mid October will keep happy. 

Posted

Went to the York designer outlet last week and noticed quite a few maple-type leaves congregating around at the main entance. There were loads of silver birch leaves blowing along the road at it's junction with the A19. Today, our lawn has a good spread of leaves from our Lombardy Poplars and I've started picking the September season raspberries our plants offer from new growth stems. Autumn is most definitely making itself known. It was chilly this morning until the sun cleared obstacles so I can see the heating going back on tonight after a minimal-hours run for a couple of weeks in a grey early August.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
5 minutes ago, Aleman said:

Went to the York designer outlet last week and noticed quite a few maple-type leaves congregating around at the main entance. There were loads of silver birch leaves blowing along the road at it's junction with the A19. Today, our lawn has a good spread of leaves from our Lombardy Poplars and I've started picking the September season raspberries our plants offer from new growth stems. Autumn is most definitely making itself known. It was chilly this morning until the sun cleared obstacles so I can see the heating going back on tonight after a minimal-hours run for a couple of weeks in a grey early August.

image.thumb.png.b01c866e4c3ede771b8f0a9b58913fbb.png

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, feb1991blizzard said:

image.thumb.png.b01c866e4c3ede771b8f0a9b58913fbb.png

Why is thinking of putting heating on when it's turned a bit chillier so funny? Lows were 5.3C at Topcliffe and 6.2C at Leeming this morning and both had highs under 18C.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Aleman said:

Why is thinking of putting heating on when it's turned a bit chillier so funny? Lows were 5.3C at Topcliffe and 6.2C at Leeming this morning and both had highs under 18C.

Only joking, its just that on a still day, i only think its worth wearing a coat if its 8c or below.

• Like 1

Posted

We haven't had a still day. The last two afternoons have been 50km/h+ gusts. (A few small branches down in our garden - and the aforesaid leaves.) I admit it was calm last night between 1am and 5am but I'm not going out without a coat at that time to test my heat retention! Last night we ate fish and chips in the park at 6pm. It was 14-15C and breezy. We found the one okay table in the sun but it was still distinctly chilly when it went behind clouds. I was really looking forward to my hot coffee after only to find it had gone cold quickly in the breeze.

https://www.ogimet.com/cgi-bin/gsynres?ind=03265&lang=en&decoded=yes&ndays=2&ano=2019&mes=09&day=01&hora=16

Edited by Aleman

Posted
3 minutes ago, Aleman said:

We haven't had a still day. The last two afternoons have been 50km/h+ gusts. I admit it was calm last night between 1am and 5am but I'm not going out without a coat at that time to test my heat retention! Last night we ate fish and chips in the park at 6pm. It was 14-15C and breezy. We found the one okay table in the sun but it was still dinstinctly chilly when it went behind clouds. I was really looking forward to my hot coffee after only to find it had gone cold quickly in the breeze.

https://www.ogimet.com/cgi-bin/gsynres?ind=03265&lang=en&decoded=yes&ndays=2&ano=2019&mes=09&day=01&hora=16

True, but that doesn't effect the temperature in the house, it will feel a lot warmer in the house than outside no matter what the windchill and even the humidity is irrelevant if you don't open any window, on that really stupid temperature day where the record went, my thermometer in the bedroom read 32c gradually coming down to 27c - took a good few days for that to happen though and didn't budge from between 20-21% relative humidity.

Posted
1 minute ago, feb1991blizzard said:

True, but that doesn't effect the temperature in the house, it will feel a lot warmer in the house than outside no matter what the windchill and even the humidity is irrelevant if you don't open any window, on that really stupid temperature day where the record went, my thermometer in the bedroom read 32c gradually coming down to 27c - took a good few days for that to happen though and didn't budge from between 20-21% relative humidity.

Well, I think if it starts dropping below 19-20C in the house in an evening, and 15-16C in the house in a morning, it's okay to put the heating on. I don't have the constitution of an Arctic fox!

Posted
25 minutes ago, Wynter said:

For those interested in the season that shall not be named. Gavs latest W**t*r update is available. 

I haven't got an hour to spare - what's the summary?

Posted

Gavin's got his first video out, haven't seen it yet but will be watching it later, would imagine he will mention 2 things that have been in the news lately that will impact on winter, Arctic ice extent and Hurricanes.

EDIT : didn't see the post above.

Edited by feb1991blizzard

Posted
13 minutes ago, Turnedoutniceagain said:

I haven't got an hour to spare - what's the summary?

I'm at work, so not had a chance to watch it yet. Going to have a look in the morning. But judging by the comments under the vid, it's looking good.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

19 hours ago, Aleman said:

No leaf fall here in Leeds yet but while on my walk last night I was surprised how many trees of all types had leaves starting to turn. A little earlier than normal.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
On 01/09/2019 at 12:20, Sunny76 said:

Really!?! - in London?...maybe in June but thereafter very debatable...